Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hbAirCuNnA&t=38s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

God drat, there's almost nothing left of the plane in the crash site photos other than the turbofans.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Obama Africanus posted:

In my defense I haven't increased the bizarre level on my hyperbole since the Clinton administration, so go gently caress yourself. :)

I sometimes wondered if you were from the future and just deranged by time travel, now we have proof.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

psydude posted:

God drat, there's almost nothing left of the plane in the crash site photos other than the turbofans.

Post 'em.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
There's something so goddamn surreal about an SA-11 or -17 being used to take down a 777 in Ukraine.

It's like Clancy is speaking to us beyond the grave, guys.

We'll be able to know beyond the shadow of all reasonable doubt exactly what and who shot this drat thing down relatively quickly. Whether or not you and I ever find out is another thing, but yeah- this isn't going to be a difficult game of clue to play for the intel boys.

I sure hope no Austrian Archdukes were on the flight though, history being cyclic and all.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
lol you can def see a burnt shoe in the second photo lol

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Also the lack of anything really coming out of the Kremlin is somewhat disturbing. I'm of the opinion that when Russia isn't speaking (Loudly and defensively) they're acting (Quietly and offensively).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Obama Africanus posted:

Also the lack of anything really coming out of the Kremlin is somewhat disturbing. I'm of the opinion that when Russia isn't speaking (Loudly and defensively) they're acting (Quietly and offensively).

Maybe the idealist in me is hoping Russia is like, "oh man we really didn't intend our stuff to be used for an airliner shoot down. Not this time anyway!"

Sorry, Korea.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AP journalists sighted an SA-11 in the area a couple of days ago, despite the rebels' insistence that they possess no such system.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Those ukrainian figher planes didn't shoot themselves down in Ukrainian airspace either.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Hahaha the pro russian rebels found the black boxes and intend to send them to moscow for analysis

ahahahahahahhahhahahhhahhhahaahaaahahahahhahhhhahahahahhahahahhahahahhhhhahahahahahhhhahaaaaahhahahaahhahahahahahahhhhahahahhahhhahahhaha

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Obama Africanus posted:

Hahaha the pro russian rebels found the black boxes and intend to send them to moscow for analysis

ahahahahahahhahhahahhhahhhahaahaaahahahahhahhhhahahahahhahahahhahahahhhhhahahahahahhhhahaaaaahhahahaahhahahahahahahhhhahahahhahhhahahhaha

"high altitude stall something something"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

jfc, send in some scary people to whack them all and bring that poo poo back

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
We just need another world war to set poo poo straight again qtiyd

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cole posted:

We just need another world war to set poo poo straight again qtiyd

No. I have less than two years left on IRR.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Obama Africanus posted:

lol you can def see a burnt shoe in the second photo lol

The Brown Menace posted:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/wfxTcQZ.jpg:nws:

dont mind me evgeniy, just watering the ol corpse patch

The Brown Menace posted:

:nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws:

http://i.imgur.com/JFclwzk.jpg

:nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws:

http://i.imgur.com/FrWcGEc.jpg

:nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws:

http://i.imgur.com/MG8DFWY.jpg

:nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws:

edit: serious NWS/NMS, closeup of a corpse and poo poo, godDAN

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Is flight recorder data hashed or encrypted?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Obama Africanus posted:

I'm sure they'll give us a fair and truthful result from the contents of those boxes. Jimmy Hoffa will read the report live on television.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Those pictures. :stare:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I saw a low-res version of the first one and didn't realize it was a loving mountain of limbs.

And I really regret clicking the rest.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Well here, let me do the intel communities job for them:

The Malaysian airlines 777 was brought down by missile(s?) fired from a FSU SA-11. This is a road mobile, and fairly capable tactical air defense system. The 777 was clearly in civilian corridors, at cruise alt and speed. It is not only impossible to accidentally engage a 777 with an SA-11 in that regime of it's flight envelope, it's actually something that requires a degree of preparation or ability to pull off. Do the math on the engagement envelope, and the engagement sequence for an SA-11, and realize that a 777 scooting by isn't exactly going to afford you a ton of time to setup the shot unless you had prepared for it previously or were maintaining the fire battery at a high state of readiness.

It seems much less likely that the separatists were maintaining a high level of readiness with their SA-11 toys, in fact it seems very possible to me that separatists weren't manning or using the SA-11's at all- and that it was likely Russian soldiers. In all honesty the specifics of the engagement are much less important to fully understand, and the most important thing to determine is if this was a mistake or a deliberate act in response to U.S. Sanctions..

Whatever the circumstances are, and whatever the goddamn minutia may be, you've got burnt american corpses spread among the remains of a blown up American built jet, blown up by a Russian missile in the land of Russian separatists, and the black boxes are being booked to Moscow by Russian rebels.

Analysis: This is hosed.

Sources: Wikipedia and common sense.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It is indeed hosed up.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
This is actually really really bad. (tm)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Obama Africanus posted:

There's no bad situation that can't be avoided with mealy-mouthed platitudes and do-nothing sanctions.

Not that I have a better alternative, but this is what I expect.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh man the fallout from this poo poo is going to be amazing, my Clancy-meter is going off the scale now.

Civvie jet downed by Russian designed SAM fired by pro-Russkie Ukrainian rebels, holy gently caress.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Please God, please let his be the spark that ignites the nuclear holocaust. :pray:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Reports are coming in that Tom Clancy is rising from the dead.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

Reports are coming in that Tom Clancy is rising from the dead.

Just tap Clancy's coffin for rotational energy and hook his dead rear end to a dynamo, he will put out more power than the Hoover Dam.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Bitcoin Bastard posted:

http://i.imgur.com/MG8DFWY.jpg

Came for the Clancy, stayed for the Cabbage Patch Kid.

I don't feel good about this joke, I just needed to say something so offensive and over the line that I remind myself that I even have a line to begin with. It's how I respond to these sorts of things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Obama Africanus posted:

I concur.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Those photos.

I take it back, I can't even be an rear end in a top hat here.

:stare:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 17, 2014

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

This is about as cold as poo poo's been since fall '83.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You know poo poo is bad even when the GiP regulars are like, "uuhhh you're not supposed to do that."

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Obama Africanus posted:

I don't feel good about this joke, I just needed to say something so offensive and over the line that I remind myself that I even have a line to begin with. It's how I respond to these sorts of things.

Everybody's gotta die somehow, son.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

Those photos.

I take it back, I can't even be an rear end in a top hat here.

:stare:

No poo poo, the pictures definitely took out the euphoria of "Front seat to world war III"

:smith:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I bet not much happens other than a minor show of force.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

I bet not much happens other than a minor show of force.

Crazy rear end John McCain said there would be "Hell to pay" if the russians are involved. "Hell" being probably some insignificant business sanctions.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

orange juche posted:

Crazy rear end John McCain said there would be "Hell to pay" if the russians are involved. "Hell" being probably some insignificant business sanctions.

drat you Obama, increasing the price of Baltika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Obama Africanus posted:

Thanks anyway. Made me smile. I was just clicking that one and then I thought "Hell, with the way these pictures are taken the next one might be a kid. Please don't be a kid"

It's a kid.

• Locked thread