Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Cannot wait for this. Even if there are only two left, i think they are planning on doing a quick tour around the world when this new album comes out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

RattiRatto posted:

Cannot wait for this. Even if there are only two left, i think they are planning on doing a quick tour around the world when this new album comes out...

Not gonna happen.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

RattiRatto posted:

And pigs will fly.

Freeze_Dried_Chives
Jul 22, 2007

I will not go down the hole again good sir.
While I love the hell out of everything Pink Floyd ever put out, I am the weird dude who thinks Final Cut was the best album. The Gunners Dream being my favorite song.

I can't wait for this album, I have high hopes for it even though it is stuff that didn't make the cut before. It has been a good couple of years for old artists coming out with new material (David Bowie, Adam Ant, Thomas Dolby, etc...). Pink Floyd was pretty much the last band I ever expected to do it though.

EDIT: Really though, Rebuild The Wall by Luther Wright is the best Floyd album.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Freeze_Dried_Chives posted:

While I love the hell out of everything Pink Floyd ever put out, I am the weird dude who thinks Final Cut was the best album.

I'm just gonna leave this here with the comment that the album did yield the best backdrop film in the group and solo catalog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e94MRxj2J3g

Freeze_Dried_Chives posted:

EDIT: Really though, Rebuild The Wall by Luther Wright is the best Floyd album.

sounds like someone who never heard the Squirrels' take on Dark Side of the Moon :colbert: On the Run, Us and Them, and Brain Damage being particular highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fpZaXdki2s

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I also really, really, really loving LOVE The Final Cut. While it isn't my favorite Pink Floyd album, it's amazing.

Though it is super obviously a Waters wank-fest and barely a Floyd album. But whatever, the dude is cool.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
The Final Cut works really well when you are depressed but holy gently caress is it awful when you aren't. Fletcher is probably the best song on the album and the lyrics are so laughable. Not to mention the album is full of the Wall castoffs.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoy Not Now John not as a serious song but as a totally ridiculous piece of entertainment that it is.

That said, I enjoy The Wall but I can't get over how Waters sings like a old man in it. What happened to his voice in between Animals and The Wall.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Abu Dave posted:

I enjoy Not Now John not as a serious song but as a totally ridiculous piece of entertainment that it is.

That said, I enjoy The Wall but I can't get over how Waters sings like a old man in it. What happened to his voice in between Animals and The Wall.

His voice never really changed though? He always kind of sounded like poo poo. I read somewhere that one of the first real divides of the band came during the recording of DSoTM because Waters wanted to sing in more songs. The other members of the band, who I guess held more weight at that time, persuaded him not to; but the egotistical maniac that is Roger Waters still was butthurt about it.

I also remember he got super pissed during the Live 8 reunion concert that the other members vetoed one of his songs because it was inappropriate for a relief charity (I think Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2, but it may have been something a little darker like Mother or something). I love him and can barely listen to non-Waters Floyd but the dude is a total rear end in a top hat.

Syd era best era though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

I also remember he got super pissed during the Live 8 reunion concert that the other members vetoed one of his songs because it was inappropriate for a relief charity

I'm not buying this story in light of the fact that Gilmour did "Run Like Hell" of all things at a Colombian volcano relief concert.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CortezFantastic posted:

The Final Cut works really well when you are depressed but holy gently caress is it awful when you aren't. Fletcher is probably the best song on the album and the lyrics are so laughable. Not to mention the album is full of the Wall castoffs.
Man no wonder I loved the Wall as much as I did as a teenager dealing with depression, its like the Catcher of the Rye of music except objectively good.

softbomb
Dec 30, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

His voice never really changed though? He always kind of sounded like poo poo. I read somewhere that one of the first real divides of the band came during the recording of DSoTM because Waters wanted to sing in more songs. The other members of the band, who I guess held more weight at that time, persuaded him not to; but the egotistical maniac that is Roger Waters still was butthurt about it.

I also remember he got super pissed during the Live 8 reunion concert that the other members vetoed one of his songs because it was inappropriate for a relief charity (I think Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2, but it may have been something a little darker like Mother or something). I love him and can barely listen to non-Waters Floyd but the dude is a total rear end in a top hat.

Syd era best era though.

Pffff Piper is a coaster without take up thy stethoscope and walk :rolleyes:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You forget Dave Gilmour's solos as do I because I do not have a record player.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Since I skipped over a page it might have already been touched on, but Youth was mentioned as being one of the producers. He's also a bass player (News to some, I guess, look at his work with Killing Joke) so they have a bass player on board...

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Since I skipped over a page it might have already been touched on, but Youth was mentioned as being one of the producers. He's also a bass player (News to some, I guess, look at his work with Killing Joke) so they have a bass player on board...

Oh thank god because otherwise how could they ever find a bassist?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Happy Hippo posted:

Oh thank god because otherwise how could they ever find a bassist?

"BRING OUT THE GIMPGUY PRATT"
*Pratt emerges from box kept at the foot of Gilmour's bed, grinning hideously*

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"BRING OUT THE GIMPGUY PRATT"
*Pratt emerges from box kept at the foot of Gilmour's bed, grinning hideously*

On that subject, "My Bass And Other Animals" by Pratt is a good read, and has some great anecdotes about his time touring with Pink Floyd such as their game of how long they can stay stood up on Pink Floyd's private jet during take off and the time when he was so high he packed his luggage in a hotel whilst in a dressing gown, sent it off, then realized he had packed EVERYTHING and had to buy some travelling clothes from the hotel shop. Spoilering just in case.

He also played the role of Minty in the excellent TV show "Spaced", and did a lot of the music.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.pinkfloyd.com/theendlessriver

Got a date and release information now. November 10th

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Abu Dave posted:

http://www.pinkfloyd.com/theendlessriver

Got a date and release information now. November 10th

I went ahead and pre-ordered the blu-ray set. I have every other album from back when I was obsessed with them in high school.

Pretty neat that one of the songs is called "Autumn '68." "Summer '68" is one of my favorite Wright songs.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Pretty neat that one of the songs is called "Autumn '68."

If by "neat" you mean "the sort of unbelievably hack poo poo an 80s metal act would do", yes

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

If by "neat" you mean "the sort of unbelievably hack poo poo an 80s metal act would do", yes

Still bitter about Operation Mindcrime 2, huh?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Couldn't be as unnecessary as Metallica's third iteration of Unforgiven. Hard to believe that guy's still unforgiven, it's been like twenty years.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Still bitter about Operation Mindcrime 2, huh?

Trigger warning that poo poo, you rear end :mad:

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Couldn't be as unnecessary as Metallica's third iteration of Unforgiven. Hard to believe that guy's still unforgiven, it's been like twenty years.

Me and a guy who used to trade Pink Floyd boots back and forth in the late 90s/early 2000s used to use silly return addresses; one I got from him was "The Unforgiven III: The Final Dimension". It's not as funny to me as it once was.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Eh, don't care enough to argue. I just think it's nice since this is supposed to be a 'tribute' for Wright. It may suck, but hopefully not.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I'm gonna set my expectations as low as possible so it will pleasantly surprise me, or it's what I was expecting.

And to the discussion early in the page, yes The Final Cut is very good stuff.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Possibly Chicken posted:

Though I would say it's not as good as The Final Cut Part 2: Amused to Death: The Wall Part 3

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can i get a fuckin hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHtlwQNVQeo

Can't wait for this. For years I dreamed of a new floyd album. This might be exactly what I want.

I love Gilmour when he's in floyd. outside of floyd I don't love his tastes because half his solo stuff just isn't what I like at all, and I know I sound heathen for saying that but it's really how I feel

Division Bell is underrated imo. Apart from a couple of tracks it's a great album and has a great feel. I suspect the same from this. at the very least some great guitar solos

This is the only Pink Floyd album that will be released in my lifetime that will be when I liked the band. It is with great regret that I don't have 10 tabs of acid to take before listening to it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Possibly Chicken posted:

I'm gonna set my expectations as low as possible so it will pleasantly surprise me, or it's what I was expecting.

Fletcher Memorial Home owns, but owns alone due to the solo. One of his best solos but far too short. Love the addition of the "guitar sounds" (fret noise etc) which isn't common for him.

The rest of the album bites, however. I can barely give it a second listen, and whenever I try to I give up

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

Fletcher Memorial Home owns, but owns alone due to the solo. One of his best solos but far too short. Love the addition of the "guitar sounds" (fret noise etc) which isn't common for him.

The rest of the album bites, however. I can barely give it a second listen, and whenever I try to I give up

I like the title track and "The Gunner's Dream" a lot too. The rest depends on my mood. Sometimes I think it's a great album. Other times, I just get bored with it.

But those three songs are always nice to hear.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I will give it another whirle. You never know

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Here is every discussion about The Final Cut ever:

Person who likes Waters: The Final Cut is so good, one of their best
Person who doesn't like Waters: The Final Cut is boring poo poo

I've always loved Division Bell so I am suitably hyped up for this, although I really liked some of the more depressing songs (High Hopes, What do you Want From Me?, Keep Talking) so worried that it'll suffer for not having them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

It is with great regret that I don't have 10 tabs of acid to take before listening to it

You have a month to figure this out, I guess.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What, and commit a crime? You're out of your mind.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

What, and commit a crime? You're out of your mind.

Ok.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

Here is every discussion about The Final Cut ever:

Person with taste: The Final Cut is so good, one of their best
Person who thinks it's rad to be 16 and smoke weed in the basement while telling your friends about how Comfortably Numb is about heroin man : The Final Cut is boring poo poo

fixed

EDIT: Seriously, I can't conceive of how altered a state it would take for The Division Bell to be anything more than a dull monotonous slog with two good songs and an inferior version of "Raise My Rent"

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 26, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey check it out guys, im edgy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you must be a real blast at parties, stopping the music and then crying into a mic while the memory of your dad jerking off your uncle plays over and over in your head

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I like both Roger Waters solo material + Post-Roger PF.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

echinopsis posted:

you must be a real blast at parties, stopping the music and then crying into a mic while the memory of your dad jerking off your uncle plays over and over in your head

All of which would still not kill a party faster than spinning "Lost for Words" and "A Great Day for Freedom" back to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Pink Floyd isn't generally spun at parties

Division Bell is an enjoyable album imo

• Locked thread