Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I.. might get to see the world go up in a nuclear fire.

It's everything I've wanted since I was a boy.

I'm cracking open PBR's and rolling blunts, when the spark gets lit I'll enjoy my front row seat from my lawn chair with my sunglasses giving me a milisecond longer view of the beautiful destruction before the nuclear holocaust washes over me in a beautiful symphony of light, heat, radiation and death.

P.S. I officially was moved to the PDRL from the TDRL 3 weeks ago, so no World War III for me to fight in, go get 'em boys. I'll be here to comfort your wives if we're not all pillars of salt 3 minutes after zero hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Jesus, those pictures :(

Would it be reasonable to assume that the passengers didn't suffer? I'm hoping everyone got knocked out or otherwise had their lights flicked out before they knew what was happening.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

psydude posted:

Is flight recorder data hashed or encrypted?

FDRs are usually not encrypted unless the operator specifically requests it, IIRC.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

suboptimal posted:

Would it be reasonable to assume that the passengers didn't suffer? I'm hoping everyone got knocked out or otherwise had their lights flicked out before they knew what was happening.

33,000 feet, Time of Useful Consciousness is about 40 seconds to a minute. It's very likely some passengers fell to their deaths fully aware of their demise.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

suboptimal posted:

The challenger astronauts were killed on impact with the ocean.

So.. They prob had a minute of consciousness as a ROT, there were def passengers who fell to their deaths fully conscience in pain and panic beyond any horror you can imagine.

:tipshat:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

suboptimal posted:

It's a long way down from 36000 feet, but for the record that is high enough altitude that assuming your lights didn't get knocked out by the shockwave or sudden pressure change, you'll be out in 30 seconds anyways if you don't have pressurized air. I can only hope the air system failed.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Obama Africanus posted:

The challenger astronauts were killed on impact with the ocean.

So..

Yea, didn't they figure that out by oxygen consumption?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

suboptimal posted:

Decent amount of bodies are reasonably intact. Studies and data from real incidents show that passengers and crew rapidly lose consciousness after pressure loss at cruising altitude, but tend to wake up once they fall to a lower part of the atmosphere.

So imagine waking up from a bad nap and realizing you're about to die. :smith:

E: drat this thread moves fast

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

holocaust bloopers posted:

Controls in the cockpit were moved from launch positions to "OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK" positions.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Yeah, and certain switches were in positions that could only have happened post SRB explosion and a bunch of other poo poo. The challenger guys died a horrible way, and it's why the very useless escape systems were added afterwards- but that was lipstick on a pig. The boys who burnt up over texas went as instantaneously as you can imagine however, at break up the G forces alone weren't compatible with life.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Well, a 70kg frag-HE proximity warhead should have killed a lucky few instantly...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

Yeah, and certain switches were in positions that could only have happened post SRB explosion and a bunch of other poo poo. The challenger guys died a horrible way, and it's why the very useless escape systems were added afterwards- but that was lipstick on a pig. The boys who burnt up over texas went as instantaneously as you can imagine however, at break up the G forces alone weren't compatible with life.

Smeared all over the walls of a space shuttle would be a helluva way to go, almost as good as a nuclear holocaust.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
De Havilland Comet -- world's first jet liner. A number of them experienced rapid loss of pressures at cruise altitude. The destruction of the airframe was so fast that a few who were talking to ATC just went silent. The devastation of a sudden hole in the fuselage at cruise altitude can easily render an airframe into nothing remotely flyable.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I'm listening to the BBC and they lost a couple of russian and ukranian experts they had on the telephone simultaneously, I'm spending the next few minutes praying they were the first to make their way to the stratosphere by way of a mushroom cloud.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Obama Africanus posted:

I sure hope no Austrian Archdukes were on the flight though, history being cyclic and all.

LOL'd at this.

Dry-heaved at everything else. Thanks guys, keep up the pants-making GBS threads color commentary.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
loving lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiI9s-zWLs4

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

CNN only reporting that the plane "crashed." Yeah sure, kind of like how the Hindenburg only experienced an emergency landing.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Remember how when Shock and Awe kicked off you could read rumors about iraqi trucks booking for Syria with their WMD or whatever?

Well in 2014 the video's get on loving youtube in realtime. That's the Russian SAM system booking it outta town mysteriously, ya know now that world war III got kicked off.

not even kidding

lol

God'll radiate the gold
God'll radiate the gold

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Victor Vermis posted:

LOL'd at this.

Dry-heaved at everything else. Thanks guys, keep up the pants-making GBS threads color commentary.

Thought experiment: let's fly hypothetical Victor Vermis to 33,000 ft MSL. At this altitude, the expansion of air in your lungs would nearly quadruple in size. Luckily for you, you're in a pressurized cylinder that's equivalent to 5,000 ft MSL. Breath normally. Suddenly the pressure lets go--a hole rips a jagged seam into this cylinder and anything not secured is blown out in such a forceful manner that the air clouds up from the mixing of two volumes of differentially pressurized air. Visibility is rapidly cut to nothing from the ensuing mixing cloud.

That air in your lungs is subject to this immense force. Doesn't feel nice.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

295 on board.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Indef IRR krew represent

:smith::hf::smith:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Israeli ground offensive into Gaza just began.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Indef IRR krew represent

:smith::hf::smith:

I'll die with you in the nuclear fire. :wink:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Haha welp no way Russia was involved right? Totally not a Russian SAM system booking it out of town. :rolleyes:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

I'll die with you in the nuclear fire. :wink:

Our love is... hotter :wink:

Time for some good old Phil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkVLqSaahk

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Hahaha the Gaza ground assault has begun.

..gently caress.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

"Welp see ya later!"

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Lol.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

Hahaha the Gaza ground assault has begun.

..gently caress.

Holy poo poo shim was right we are all hosed, well and truly. The crazy bastard with the cardboard sign was loving right :stare:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
20:31:In the YouTube footage a militant nicknamed "Major" is seen saying it was shot down by "Cossacks from the Chernukhino roadblock".
Major goes on to say: "It is definitely a civilian plane... there was a lot of people on board," BBC Monitoring reports.
20:27: BBC Monitoring reports more from the conversation between militants allegedly intercepted by the Ukrainian Security Service.
The conversation starts with Igor Bezler, a key militant, apparently telling a Russian security official by phone that the pro-Russian militants have shot down a plane.
20:23: The Ukrainian Security Service SBU has published on its Youtube account what it says are intercepted conversations between pro-Russian militants in which they say they admit shooting down a civilian plane, BBC Monitoring reports.

The video has since been removed from the youtube account unfortunately.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Dudes I'm serious, this is actually pretty bad. I'm not even being dramatic, just sorta...

:stare:

This poo poo is happening.

Wonder what the Asian response is going to be, this is complicated as all holy gently caress.

poo poo is getting out of hand world wide really fast.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Taking bets on how long the window to calm poo poo down and prevent a world wide conflagration stays open.

I think we've got at most a 72 to 96 hour window to prevent the end of human civilization by an effective and coordinated worldwide diplomatic and military response to a variety of coming problems.

But I'm a pessimist and love to imagine it happening quickly, it could be as long as weeks or months, or even years if history is any indicator.

But before I get turned into radioactive ash I wanna hit that pleasure center with some compulsive degenerate gambling one last time-- who's willing to give odds on how long the window for mankinds future?

I'm starting at $10 for a 72-96 hour window, let the book making and last days of debauchery begin.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

@ABCPolitics: DEVELOPING: White House placed on lockdown; cause not yet known; reporters being told to stay in press area - @marykbruce

Welp, world is ending today apparently.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I think about 4-5 days would be a good bet really, a week could be stretching it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I enjoyed bullshitting with you all. Sincerely.

edit: Except you cole. gently caress you.

And Whip.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoktorLoken posted:

@ABCPolitics: DEVELOPING: White House placed on lockdown; cause not yet known; reporters being told to stay in press area - @marykbruce

Welp, world is ending today apparently.

Apparently just an unattended package. I'd be shocked for one of those to actually be a thing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why the gently caress did I look? :gonk:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
gently caress, Russia. I know #throwbackthursday is a popular hashtag, but I'm pretty sure no one wanted to be reminded of your hatred for Boeing passenger jets

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

gfanikf posted:

Why the gently caress did I look? :gonk:

Because you've always wondered what's left of people after a plane crash- do they even feel anything? Aren't they bashed to bits instantly?

And now you know. They stay pretty much intact.

It's been a pleasure, gentlemen.

o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I actually loved you all in this life, I only wish we had been able to enjoy this silly little play of ours without all the pop guns and bombs.

When it's time to ford the river styx I look forward to having you brothers by my side as we crash headlong once again into a war that no fool would fight and no hero can win.

• Locked thread