Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Not to mention Criterion has their own 50% off sale in late September/early October and mid/late February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

FitFortDanga posted:

#732: MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (BR/2-disc DVD, Oct 14)

•Lux Radio Theatre adaptation from 1947 starring Henry Fonda and Cathy Downs

Are there other Criterion releases that feature old-time radio counterparts? I love OTR and think this is an awesome bonus

Also, hooray for My Darling Clementine

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Dr.Caligari posted:

Are there other Criterion releases that feature old-time radio counterparts? I love OTR and think this is an awesome bonus

I believe 12 Angry Men has the radio version included. Also maybe Mr. Arkadin?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

F for Fake and Tati are absolute must-haves, plus I've been meaning to see La Dolce Vita and My Darling Clementine for ages. I'm hoping they are upgrading the "trailer" instead of using the ratty B&W VHS dub again, especially since it's on the MoC edition.

I might actually order the Tati set from Criterion since $100 is actually less than what the separate releases would have been, even at 50% discount prices. This is an enormous masterstroke on their part since Tati's estate intervened to ensure Criterion kept the rights instead of going over to Lionsgate.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Dr.Caligari posted:

There's a bunch but the other one I know off the top of my head is My Man Godfrey.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Egbert Souse posted:

This is an enormous masterstroke on their part since Tati's estate intervened to ensure Criterion kept the rights instead of going over to Lionsgate.

Hadn't heard about this. Is there an article or something that could give the background or an account of it?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

kaujot posted:

I believe 12 Angry Men has the radio version included. Also maybe Mr. Arkadin?

The Third Man had an episode of a radio play spinoff on the disc I believe.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kaujot posted:

Hadn't heard about this. Is there an article or something that could give the background or an account of it?

Not really. Apparently, someone contacted Les Films de Mon Oncle and they confirmed the special deal. Most likely, they knew that Lionsgate would never release any of the Tati films, let alone a box set.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The Uninvited has two different radio adaptations on the disc

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was just looking at my copy of Hard Day's Night and noticed that the inside of the outer box has a panorama photo inside it. :aaa:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Dr.Caligari posted:

The Lady Eve does. And it stars Barbara Stanwyck along with Ray Milland in Fonda's role.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Criterion's putting Watership Down up on their iTunes channel:

Not sure if this means a future disc release, but that'd be cool. Would be nice if this meant more animated Criterion releases but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I don't know enough about the other films to be excited for them, but this... this is the movie that got me into film as art. A Criterion release would be a dream come true. :pray:

And then my second genie's wish would be for an uncut restoration of Plague Dogs.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It'd be really cool to see Criterion do some more animated films. Something like an Eclipse box of Soviet animation would rule.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Has there ever been talk of the Eclipse sets being upgraded to blu-ray? I've been weirdly hesitant to buy any of them in the hopes that they might (and also because of hulu).

In any case I will re-buy F for Fake at MSRP with goddamned bells on; that movie is a joy.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was just looking at my copy of Hard Day's Night and noticed that the inside of the outer box has a panorama photo inside it. :aaa:

I love those little secrets. The Fanny and Alexander DVD box has a ghost hiding in it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The sell sheets for The Vanishing and the Tati set have StudioCanal logos, but nothing for Lionsgate. This might indicate that they ended the exclusivity.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
FYI B&N sent out another 15% code that works for Criterion discs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I really hate ordering from bn.com. I ordered on the 30th and it still hasn't arrived yet. :argh:

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

robix smash posted:

Thanks! Never would have caught that email otherwise.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

robix smash posted:

Would've missed this as well, recklessly bought the Zatoichi set for a cool $100.
$109 :canada:

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 17, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I would also like to use my coupon on some samurai films, what's a better set: Samurai Trilogy or Yojimbo & Sanjuro?

Haven't seen any of the films, just looking for opinions.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I would also like to use my coupon on some samurai films, what's a better set: Samurai Trilogy or Yojimbo & Sanjuro?

Haven't seen any of the films, just looking for opinions.

Yojimbo/Sanjuro if you're looking for something you'll watch more than once. Samurai Trilogy is great, but as a historical epic, it can be dense.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

robix smash posted:

I see an email sent out for "20% off any item" but didn't work for me (it appears to be only for Books & Toys). I don't see a 15% off coupon code - maybe because I'm in Canada?

I've tried google and found other sites that give the 15% code and still doesn't apply.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 17, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

friendo55 posted:

I see an email sent out for "20% off any item" but didn't work for me (it appears to be only for Books & Toys). I don't see a 15% off coupon code - maybe because I'm in Canada?

I've tried google and found other sites that give the 15% code and still doesn't apply.

Try 8S4553G1DSYPC

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gotta love mom and pop record stores. After cashing in some points and using a coupon, I just bought Scanners bluray for $11 with store credit I got for trading in a bunch of crappy Spider-Man comics from ten years ago!

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Red posted:

Try 8S4553G1DSYPC

Thank you, but it says this coupon has already been redeemed.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Red posted:

Try 8S4553G1DSYPC

The codes are unique per person now, also the fine print on mine says it can't be combined with other offers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Any thoughts on Red River, Overlord, or Ace in The Hole?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Three masterpieces.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

RustedChrome posted:

The codes are unique per person now, also the fine print on mine says it can't be combined with other offers.

That was my thought - it must be individual codes specific to each member. Still, $70 for the Demy blu-ray set after shipping to Canada isn't a bad deal at all.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Overlord rules.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Trying to justify Red River, but as an unemployed student, I should probably stick to buying just two.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

kaujot posted:

Trying to justify Red River, but as an unemployed student, I should probably stick to buying just two.

But you also get the novel it's based on for just $5 - that's a bargain!* :buddy:

*is how I justified it to myself

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Hewlett posted:

But you also get the novel it's based on for just $5 - that's a bargain!* :buddy:

*is how I justified it to myself

...You make a good point. I'm always telling myself I need to read more.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Criterion's putting Watership Down up on their iTunes channel:

Not sure if this means a future disc release, but that'd be cool. Would be nice if this meant more animated Criterion releases but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Oh, God, I'm already shivering with anticipation at the very idea. I can just imagine the box art. There's so much diversity on a visual level just within Watership Down itself: the opening prologue, the hallucinations, the underground scenes vs. above ground, etc.

I'm also seconding that it would be incredible to see an uncut release of The Plague Dogs stateside. It's one of my favorite films of all time.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

kaujot posted:

Red River is the best of the three.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

K. Waste posted:

Oh, God, I'm already shivering with anticipation at the very idea. I can just imagine the box art. There's so much diversity on a visual level just within Watership Down itself: the opening prologue, the hallucinations, the underground scenes vs. above ground, etc.

I'm also seconding that it would be incredible to see an uncut release of The Plague Dogs stateside. It's one of my favorite films of all time.

:):hf::)

What sort of treatment do iTunes Criterions get? Do they recieve any sort of restoration? Are there many online-only films that don't get the home release treatment? Who do I have to email/stalk to get what I want?

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
I just picked up Heaven's Gate. The case itself is really well built, and the booklet is more of a novellet. I'm quite excited to watch it.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Dammit. My order for Pickpocket and Pale Flower was delayed for both discs. I even paid for the 1-3 days shipping.

friendo55 posted:

I'm not sure. The one time I've had a problem with B&N during the sale the customer service people were pretty nice about it and ended up crediting me $10.

Tomero_the_Great posted:

:):hf::)

What sort of treatment do iTunes Criterions get? Do they recieve any sort of restoration? Are there many online-only films that don't get the home release treatment? Who do I have to email/stalk to get what I want?
Curious about this too. I eventually cancelled Hulu+ because so many of the Criterion titles look like poo poo (even ones that have been upgraded to blu, like Wild Strawberries) and there is almost nothing else of interest on there that isn't also on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I didn't get a 15% off coupon from B&N (I don't get B&N e-mails anymore, apparently), so if anyone wanted to be really nice and send me their coupon, I would think of them when I was watching my Cassavettes boxset.

I realize this is a shot in the dark, but e-mail me here if you have no use for your coupon: jacobtanner0@gmail.com

Also, are there any Eclipse boxsets that are considered "must own"?

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 18, 2014