Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

They posted some of the undefeated deck lists from the last two weeks of testing the 128's.

https://hextcg.com/undefeated-decklists/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Thoom posted:

There's nothing special for opening packs during Gencon anymore.

So you have to actually attend to get the promos now or what?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

^^ There's one promo that you can only get by attending but I'm 99% sure it's just a sleeve. All the actual materially useful rewards will also be distributed in-game some way during the events in question.

Thoom posted:

There's nothing special for opening packs during Gencon anymore.

Correct. They decided it wasn't a good idea to give people incentive to hold onto packs and chests for specific events, and thank God for that. I don't think they've given exact details on how the event stuff is going to be distributed but I'm sure we'll find out soon since GenCon is only a month away.

Anyway, I'd definitely sell primals unless you also need a ton of rares for your playset. About the only way you'll get your value back is if you open an Angel or Vamp King, and the odds of that aren't great. I'm pretty sure that if you averaged the value of the pack out, it'd be pretty significantly less than the ~$18.50 or so in plat you can get for a primal.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Zurai posted:

^^ There's one promo that you can only get by attending but I'm 99% sure it's just a sleeve. All the actual materially useful rewards will also be distributed in-game some way during the events in question.

Correct. They decided it wasn't a good idea to give people incentive to hold onto packs and chests for specific events, and thank God for that. I don't think they've given exact details on how the event stuff is going to be distributed but I'm sure we'll find out soon since GenCon is only a month away.

Anyway, I'd definitely sell primals unless you also need a ton of rares for your playset. About the only way you'll get your value back is if you open an Angel or Vamp King, and the odds of that aren't great. I'm pretty sure that if you averaged the value of the pack out, it'd be pretty significantly less than the ~$18.50 or so in plat you can get for a primal.

Yep sleeves are in person only, everything else should be in the slots/ on the AH

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

King Burgundy posted:

They posted some of the undefeated deck lists from the last two weeks of testing the 128's.

There is a lot of wild in there. I'm honestly shocked, I was sure wild was universally out of favor.

Edit: Also, what the heck is "Diamond of Duty" ?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Afgad posted:

Edit: Also, what the heck is "Diamond of Duty" ?

They list the socketed gems as cards for some reason. Diamond of Duty is either the swiftstrike or lifedrain gem, not sure which.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Sigma-X posted:

It's how this poo poo always works. I really enjoyed MODO's tabbed client, as you could buy/sell, chat, build decks, etc, spectate, or even play casual games during the downtime.

The two things I wish they would fix before anything else, including trading, are giving us the ability to use other screens, and streamlining selling cards.

+1, not being able to do anything (except chat with morons) when you're waiting in queue is p weak.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

King Burgundy posted:

Sigma and I were talking about these earlier and we both agree that

A.) They are cherry picked to present a wide-open meta, and many of them are bad decks.
B.) A fair few are sub-optimal versions of better decks

One of the shocking things that these decks illustrate is how truly bad the average Hex player is. Given the similarity to Magic, a fair bit of the theory either carries over or can be translated relatively easily, which might make you assume that deck building would start a step up, but people play some really bad cards and manage to go 4-0. What that indicates to me is that they're playing a lot of other crappy decks. For instance, Replicator's Gambit is a fun card - I'll probably try it out in PvE for that reason. However, it is not a good card, particularly in a format with 0 tutors. It's the wild west right now, and all this list is telling me is that a lot of people are packing cap guns.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Karnegal posted:

However, it is not a good card, particularly in a format with 0 tutors.

Darkspire Priestess. The Ascended, too, but of course that's not viable in constructed ATM.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zurai posted:

Darkspire Priestess. The Ascended, too, but of course that's not viable in constructed ATM.

Priestess still requires you to draw two of them, and you only have a 50% chance of tutoring. You could run Enforcers as well with the hope of replicating one of them to only need to draw one priestess, but then you're just replicating a lovely army that dies to heat wave/extinction without any benefit.

Replicator's Gambit / War Machine, on the God Draw, is -1 card advantage to give you only a 20% chance of seeing the War Machinist over your next 10 draws, or 39% over your next 20 draws. Each turn you delay obviously increases this clock.

Replicator's Gambit / Darkspire Priestess, on the God Draw, is approximately the same odds of naturally drawing the priestess, and it isn't until approximately 14 cards in that you are statistically guaranteed to draw another priestess (which may not be the right one, and only has a 50% chance of fetching the right one after that).

It may be possible that Gambit+Darkspire Priestess is 8 cards in some sort of Blood/Sapphire deck that just sometimes randomly wins, but even then you're spending 1-2 turns and a card not accomplishing anything for a long shot that you might make a lot of creatures that may not even win you the game (a priestess stack does 9-12 damage on wipe, statistically).

Gambit sucks poo poo. I've played about 5 games with Havoc's "Super Tuned and Optimized" replicator deck, which is pretty much the one posted there, and the reality is that it actually wins off of Mirror Knight giving you an infinite supply of dorks. Mirror Knight + Royal Falconer will give you +1 cards if they extinction those two on the table. It just out card-advantages the control decks and/or gets very, very lucky with its draws.

If Gambit was a quick action it would be a lot stronger, as you could argue it didn't put you at a negative card advantage because you could play it in response to removal or combat. But it's a basic action, so it has no tricky ability to break even on card cost.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Karnegal posted:

Sigma and I were talking about these earlier and we both agree that

A.) They are cherry picked to present a wide-open meta, and many of them are bad decks.
B.) A fair few are sub-optimal versions of better decks

One of the shocking things that these decks illustrate is how truly bad the average Hex player is. Given the similarity to Magic, a fair bit of the theory either carries over or can be translated relatively easily, which might make you assume that deck building would start a step up, but people play some really bad cards and manage to go 4-0. What that indicates to me is that they're playing a lot of other crappy decks. For instance, Replicator's Gambit is a fun card - I'll probably try it out in PvE for that reason. However, it is not a good card, particularly in a format with 0 tutors. It's the wild west right now, and all this list is telling me is that a lot of people are packing cap guns.
While you are correct in this, it's important to note that this may be because of the free entry to the tournaments at the time. There is no doubt a significant percentage of the playerbase who is mainly interested in this game for the PvE, but while they wait are playing the PvP stuff casually. Get enough of those people into a tournament they lose out on nothing for entering, and you get enough chaff that theoretically any deck could go 4-0 with some competent piloting.

It is definitely interesting that they chose to highlight weak decks deliberately, or decks that are clearly thrown together with what the person had in their collection. I do wonder however how many of these deck 'concepts' we suddenly start seeing a lot more of because of people being impressionable and hextcg.com still being the most visible platform for the meta that's establishing itself (despite other sites best efforts). I mean gently caress it right who needs a mana curve or removal spells when we can play decks that feature such superstar cards as Ivory Pawn & Relentless Corruption?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I'm not convinced relentless corruption is all that terrible in a control mirror. I have it in my sideboard just for that. I'd never main deck it, but I see nothing wrong with it on the side board.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Gross Dude posted:

I'm not convinced relentless corruption is all that terrible in a control mirror. I have it in my sideboard just for that. I'd never main deck it, but I see nothing wrong with it on the side board.
Sure, there's an argument to be made that it could be brought in from the sideboard in a long grindy game where you know the card will be useful - but main decking it is just foolish and shows an ignorance of why the card exists. Yes it's technically card draw, but it's very slow and in a lot of cases likely to just draw you cards that have nothing to do with your game plan (woo I drew a volcannon or a blessing the fallen in my control deck). Not being a quick action also hurts it, as using all your mana on your turn 3 isn't a great idea - especially against aggro decks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

King Burgundy posted:

I'm surprised that the B/R Orc deck is basically the exact same as the Orc starter deck.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Karnegal posted:

If you only need legendaries sell the packs.

I busted all my initial primals to get my rare collection going, but I'd sell any I got unless I was convinced that the guaranteed legendary chest is going to be worth a lot.

Hrm. I sat down and used Hacky's spreadsheet of market values to calculate average rate of return on a primal. Going by lowest-listed buyout prices, and presuming a value of 0 for every rare he's no longer tracking, which is probably fair, it looks like the average value of a Primal pack is still slightly more than the current market rate -- closer to something around 1900. This is probably due to 1) slight price inflation in the spreadsheet due to use of buyout pricing rather than lowest bid pricing, and 2) upticks in value for specific chase rares and legendaries. So the "real" value of a primal probably pretty close to market, surprisingly enough.

Overall I think opening is probably the better idea long-term because presumably the legendary chests will have value.

Edit: I now have a complete playset of Comet Strike! Woohoo! Despite that the value probably averages out because I got an extra Mirror Knight, Falconer, and a few other solid rares that I can probably sell off. Other legendary was Jadiim which I didn't have. I think at this point the only cards I don't have even a single copy of are Ozawa and Vampire King.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 16, 2014

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

King Burgundy posted:

Heh, it looks like they listed basically every deck they could find that wasn't BD control.

The first couple of 128s were SUPER bad tho. I went 3-1 with an awful deck because I played decks that were even worse. Once they opened it up for real and it stayed open more than like 2 tournaments, the decks improved a ton and the swarm of BD control got especially bad.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Don't forget that the HexTCGPro Challenge Series is this weekend. If you don't have any points, like me, you'll probably have to win the thing to qualify for the Invitational, but it should be entertaining nonetheless.

http://hextcgpro.com/july-may-challenge-series-announcement/

Like the professionals they are, they haven't actually posted a rules list in their announcement, but I'm pretty sure there are no reserves for this tournament.

I'm either going to take my SD Humans, or a Comet Strike list. I just don't know how prevalent BD will be. I have to assume people are aware that everyone serious has beating it in mind when building.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Vilgan posted:

For "preying on control decks", if you were going to build one deck to beat the standard BD list what would it be?

I'd consider the "standard" to be something like:
4x Angel of Dawn
4x Soul Marble
4x Living Totem
4x Murder
4x Extinction
10x mix of repel, inner conflict, exile something constant
3x Vampire King
3x Xentoth's Inquisitor

I feel like many decks can have a 50/50 shot at it, but there is no "oh good, the BD control deck I was expecting, I should win this easy" deck.

Sometimes they T2 angel and kill you very quickly
Sometimes they just remove whatever the hell you play and then eventually value you out
Even if you run spellshield guys, they can still extinction them.
Even if you play gore storm to kill them quickly, they can just cast 2839402342 removal spells so that you never have a creature to attack with. I should have SS my opponents GY from a match yesterday. T8 or so he had 3x repel 2x extinction, 3x murder in the yard.
Even with the comet strike deck, they could top deck totem or soul marble before you topdeck peek/one of your win cons. Then they can bring in 4x inquisition from the side.

Can I beat the deck? Sure, I probably run 50% against it. But a deck that should utterly rape the BD control deck? I'm not sure what that would look like.

I'm quoting this because it's relevant for the HexTCGPro series that's due this weekend, so let's have a go at the theoretical BD killer, going off of a good suggestion by Tamba:

Tamba posted:

Maybe something with Wild/Sapphire?
Turbulence kills angels, vampires and flying totems, Wind of Change or Nature Reigns destroys Soul Marble and Solitary Exile, and Spellshielded creatures don't care about anything but Extinction, which you can counterspell.

Assuming no sideboard, we have to main deck our outs against the deck, here's a basic shell I have, with the knowledge that we want to beat that deck specifically, in no particular order:

Cerulean Mirror Knights - in the colours this is one of our best ways to offset a resolved Extinction, so it seems like an automatic include.
Boulder Brutes - Probably the best straight up beat down creature we can play that we can give Hexproof
Countermagic - No explanation needed given we need to disrupt them
Buccaneer - The swiss army knife of the deck, and useful in just about any matchup
Splinter of Azathoth - In my opinion one of the sleepers of the set. Triple sapphire threshold is a problem so playing this may require one or more copies of adaptable infusion devices.
Oracle Song - Seems a sensible inclusion
Time Ripple - Get those Angel of Dawns out of there, can allow us to recycle creatures in response to an extinction
Nature Reigns - Solitary Exile & Soul Marble hate
Turbulence - Vampire King & Angel of Dawn hate

Possible inclusions:
Eldritch Dreamer - Another hexproof threat, this time unblockable but not as good defensively
Manti Elder Druid - A definite consideration as this can be used defensively and offensively, and allows us to re-use our Splinter oneshots
Monkey of the Nine Tails - A possible alternative to the Elder druid, with the benefit of potentially transforming our early game buccaneers or howling braves into a bigger threat
Crash of Beasts - Perhaps the answer is to go wide? This card at the very least allows us to get more than one relevant creature per card eventually, maybe the 2+ for 1 we need?

Putting these ideas together into a 60 card concept could look something like:

Champion: Wyatt the Sapper???

4 x Cerulean Mirror Knights
3 x Boulder Brutes w/ Hexproof Gem
2 x Adaptable Infusion Device
2 x Oracle Song
4 x Countermagic
4 x Buccaneer
3 x Time Ripple
2 x Survival of the Fittest
4 x Crash of Beasts
2 x Nature Reigns
2 x Turbulence
2 x Manti Elder Druid
2 x Splinter of Azathoth
4 x Shards of Fate
11 x Wild Shards
9 x Sapphire Shards

Link to deck stats etc

This is of course ignoring the decks potential against other deck matchups, but we can always walk backwards from this shell until a happy middle ground is met. This may have issues getting past bigger creatures, in which case the Eldritch Dreamer may be the better choice here.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm. I sat down and used Hacky's spreadsheet of market values to calculate average rate of return on a primal. Going by lowest-listed buyout prices, and presuming a value of 0 for every rare he's no longer tracking, which is probably fair, it looks like the average value of a Primal pack is still slightly more than the current market rate -- closer to something around 1900. This is probably due to 1) slight price inflation in the spreadsheet due to use of buyout pricing rather than lowest bid pricing, and 2) upticks in value for specific chase rares and legendaries. So the "real" value of a primal probably pretty close to market, surprisingly enough.

Overall I think opening is probably the better idea long-term because presumably the legendary chests will have value.

Edit: I now have a complete playset of Comet Strike! Woohoo! Despite that the value probably averages out because I got an extra Mirror Knight, Falconer, and a few other solid rares that I can probably sell off. Other legendary was Jadiim which I didn't have. I think at this point the only cards I don't have even a single copy of are Ozawa and Vampire King.

Well, there are a couple issues with his prices (some of which he acknowledges in the table). He doesn't have an tracking software up, so when something is actually priced to move, it moves, and his once every 2-3 days check in doesn't really "see" those figures. I've had plenty of cards up at 10-20% below his prices not sell for days. So, when you bust an Ozawa, Cosmic Elder in your primal, you're probably not going to be able to turn around and sell it from the $5 his table claims. I think a realistic price for a pack's contents is probably $12-14. Also, you take a ding on the auction house when you sell stuff, so that's also lost profit.

Again, if you're looking to fill out a collection, busting primals is great because drafts will fill out commons and uncommons. But if you're hunting or specific cards, you're better off just selling the primals and checking the AH every few hours until you can grab one at a reasonable price.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'm thinking the human inspire deck would have a good boost against BD running more Mirror Knights, along with Blessing the Fallen. I'm going to try and get a list up sometime tonight.

LightReaper posted:

I'm quoting this because it's relevant for the HexTCGPro series that's due this weekend, so let's have a go at the theoretical BD killer, going off of a good suggestion by Tamba:

Assuming no sideboard, we have to main deck our outs against the deck, here's a basic shell I have, with the knowledge that we want to beat that deck specifically, in no particular order:

Cerulean Mirror Knights - in the colours this is one of our best ways to offset a resolved Extinction, so it seems like an automatic include.
Boulder Brutes - Probably the best straight up beat down creature we can play that we can give Hexproof
Countermagic - No explanation needed given we need to disrupt them
Buccaneer - The swiss army knife of the deck, and useful in just about any matchup
Splinter of Azathoth - In my opinion one of the sleepers of the set. Triple sapphire threshold is a problem so playing this may require one or more copies of adaptable infusion devices.
Oracle Song - Seems a sensible inclusion
Time Ripple - Get those Angel of Dawns out of there, can allow us to recycle creatures in response to an extinction
Nature Reigns - Solitary Exile & Soul Marble hate
Turbulence - Vampire King & Angel of Dawn hate

Possible inclusions:
Eldritch Dreamer - Another hexproof threat, this time unblockable but not as good defensively
Manti Elder Druid - A definite consideration as this can be used defensively and offensively, and allows us to re-use our Splinter oneshots
Monkey of the Nine Tails - A possible alternative to the Elder druid, with the benefit of potentially transforming our early game buccaneers or howling braves into a bigger threat
Crash of Beasts - Perhaps the answer is to go wide? This card at the very least allows us to get more than one relevant creature per card eventually, maybe the 2+ for 1 we need?

Putting these ideas together into a 60 card concept could look something like:

Champion: Wyatt the Sapper???

4 x Cerulean Mirror Knights
3 x Boulder Brutes w/ Hexproof Gem
2 x Adaptable Infusion Device
2 x Oracle Song
4 x Countermagic
4 x Buccaneer
3 x Time Ripple
2 x Survival of the Fittest
4 x Crash of Beasts
2 x Nature Reigns
2 x Turbulence
2 x Manti Elder Druid
2 x Splinter of Azathoth
4 x Shards of Fate
11 x Wild Shards
9 x Sapphire Shards

Link to deck stats etc

This is of course ignoring the decks potential against other deck matchups, but we can always walk backwards from this shell until a happy middle ground is met. This may have issues getting past bigger creatures, in which case the Eldritch Dreamer may be the better choice here.

I like this. It has Countermagic, Crash of Beasts and Buccaneer, which can help deal with an early Gore Feast. I definitely think that will still be a rough matchup, though.

Not much it can do against an active Soul Cavalry though, besides throw rhinos at it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hex LLC has filed a response motion to dismiss:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=37126

https://search.rpxcorp.com/lit/wawdce-200735

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Go RV! posted:

Don't forget that the HexTCGPro Challenge Series is this weekend. If you don't have any points, like me, you'll probably have to win the thing to qualify for the Invitational, but it should be entertaining nonetheless.

http://hextcgpro.com/july-may-challenge-series-announcement/

Like the professionals they are, they haven't actually posted a rules list in their announcement, but I'm pretty sure there are no reserves for this tournament.
They've advised a ban on Relentless Corruption for this round because of how it's bugged when you draw an opponents escalating cards; http://hextcgpro.com/relentless-corruption-banned-for-july-challenge-series/

Also that motion to dismiss thing wouldn't show me the full text so I found this on the official forums; https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7RX4PkvTeFTZVRaNWdoRVIyVDQ/edit?usp=sharing

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Thanks a lot HEX (turn 8)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
That's your own drat fault for playing Vulture.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

vulture/citizenry is a legit combo tho

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

dongsbot 9000 posted:

There are better combos than that, I would rather play a corpse fly than a vulture, or most creatures + noble citizenry over vulture. Vulture may be high power but without the noble citizen it falls over to everything in the air.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

of course you'd rather play efficient cards than zombie vulture but if you spend your early picks picking removal over dudes then you just need some fat dudes to win the game after you shut their early threats down and zombie vulture isn't that bad at doing it.

vulture's a lot better than most of the other options; the ground dudes (3/5, 4/2, 5/5 can't block, 3/3 exhaust on attack) all get bogged down by random chump blockers.

im not saying the vulture is good and it doesn't always make the cut. basically every other dude in w/b with evasion is better (except for the 3/2 unblockable artifact), but if you need evasion, then he's worth playing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yeah it must be nice when people pass you a pile of corpse flies. Sometimes the cards aren't that good and I'll take vulture over forgotten lord any day when I need to fill out the top of my curve.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The 3/2 unblockable artifact has won me a lot of draft matches, especially when you slap a blood aura on him.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

tbh paying six for a three power french vanilla dude is never that awesome

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

dongsbot 9000 posted:

I think his appeal is highly contingent on how much evasion you have in your shards.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Infiltrator Bot costs 5.

LightReaper posted:

There are better combos than that, I would rather play a corpse fly than a vulture, or most creatures + noble citizenry over vulture. Vulture may be high power but without the noble citizen it falls over to everything in the air.
You'd rather play one of the best blood commons than a Vulture? I'm shocked, sir, SHOCKED.

Seriously guys, Vulture's not that bad. It's not a high pick, but it's got 4 power and it flies. It's fine. I've never been embarrassed to play it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Karnegal posted:

I think his appeal is highly contingent on how much evasion you have in your shards.

That and how much lifedrain you have. One effective draft strategy can be evaders and buffs, using either Dimmid or Blood Aura for lifedrain. Infiltrating Bot can effectively fit into that. A reliable, murder-proof, six-life-point swing every turn wins games.

Some Numbers posted:

Infiltrator Bot costs 5.

I think he's counting the activation cost

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 17, 2014

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Infiltrator Bot costs 5.

You'd rather play one of the best blood commons than a Vulture? I'm shocked, sir, SHOCKED.

Seriously guys, Vulture's not that bad. It's not a high pick, but it's got 4 power and it flies. It's fine. I've never been embarrassed to play it.
I followed up my comment by saying I would play most cards over vulture. The sad truth is 1 toughness creatures need to be potent for me to play them, as things like bombsmith, sniper of gawaine, elimination specialist, and Zared Venomscorn (the most popular champion) are easy answers to what would normally at 5 toughness be your late game bomb. That's not even getting into the random 1 power fliers almost every color puts out there.

I didn't dismiss the idea of playing him without merit, I did try using the vulture a bunch because yes it is an evasive threat but as mentioned above, there are too many better, cheaper cards that answer it easily. Maybe it's a playstyle preference, but with the way set 1 has panned out & the way A LOT of people draft (as many fliers as possible) it's too much of a liability to be in my eyes playable at the top of the curve. If you guys make it work, all power to you but I'd rather not play it at all and get another 2-4 mana creature as it has always underperformed for me. I don't think big dumb high power creatures is even the strategy blood even wants to be in, as Hieronymous Alloy alluded to - blood aura let's us get so much value from the many more reliable evasive threats blood has access to.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

what are all "the random 1 power fliers almost every color puts out there"

sapphire has a couple of them that are mostly unplayable (1/3, 1/1, 1/1 mill) and the actually playable one isn't really a 1 power flier. if you are playing against sapphire, i would agree that zombie vulture is rather bad. if you are playing against zared, it's pretty bad. but it's playable in most other situations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

LightReaper posted:

I followed up my comment by saying I would play most cards over vulture. The sad truth is 1 toughness creatures need to be potent for me to play them, as things like bombsmith, sniper of gawaine, elimination specialist, and Zared Venomscorn (the most popular champion) are easy answers to what would normally at 5 toughness be your late game bomb. That's not even getting into the random 1 power fliers almost every color puts out there.

I didn't dismiss the idea of playing him without merit, I did try using the vulture a bunch because yes it is an evasive threat but as mentioned above, there are too many better, cheaper cards that answer it easily. Maybe it's a playstyle preference, but with the way set 1 has panned out & the way A LOT of people draft (as many fliers as possible) it's too much of a liability to be in my eyes playable at the top of the curve. If you guys make it work, all power to you but I'd rather not play it at all and get another 2-4 mana creature as it has always underperformed for me. I don't think big dumb high power creatures is even the strategy blood even wants to be in, as Hieronymous Alloy alluded to - blood aura let's us get so much value from the many more reliable evasive threats blood has access to.

I see wildly more Dimmid than Zared the farther into drafts I get. In that particular deck, the only other 5+ drop I managed to get was a single Rot Carrier. Well I could have put in Protectorate Sorcerer or Paladin of Naagaan, but both are significantly worse than Vulture.

Here was a much better draft deck from today:

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

dongsbot 9000 posted:

sapphire has a couple of them that are mostly unplayable (1/3, 1/1, 1/1 mill) and one actually playable one that isn't really a 1 power flier. if you are playing sapphire, i would agree that zombie vulture is rather bad. but it's playable in most other situations.
Sorry, that was poor communication on my part, I meant at least 1 power fliers to block with (which now that I think about it, is just those seagulls & loregoyle).

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

did avalanche giant pan out for you there? i don't think it's really good, but i've never played one.

edit: have a random deck i 3-0'd with in the last week (ft. zombie vulture)

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 17, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

dongsbot 9000 posted:

did avalanche giant pan out for you there? i don't think it's really good, but i've never played one.

edit: have a random deck i 3-0'd with in the last week (ft. zombie vulture)

Yeah, in once game he killed a lifelinked defender to allow me to win. He's just in this particular deck because I only ever need 5 resources and the rest are better used as fodder for him than building a second charge of Feather Drifting Down River. I wouldn't play him as readily in a mid-range or later deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

dongsbot 9000 posted:

2 or 3 drop fliers with citizenry is a much better combo as it doesn't rely on Vulture who is the second worst flier. 2 or 3 drop creatures in general are a much better combo with citizen as very loving little deals with a 4/4 or 4/5 attacking on turn 4.

Vulture is playable in certain decks but he is almost always the 23rd card.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

sapphire has a couple of them that are mostly unplayable (1/3, 1/1, 1/1 mill) and the actually playable one isn't really a 1 power flier. if you are playing against sapphire, i would agree that zombie vulture is rather bad. if you are playing against zared, it's pretty bad. but it's playable in most other situations.

The 1/3 flier at 2 is incredibly playable in Sapphire. He is very similar in the fliers deck to Guard Dog, except he can receive a pump and become an aggressive flier. A 1/3 flier favorably blocks a number of 2 and 3 drops, including other fliers, and blocks without dying nearly every 2 and 3 drop in the format.

He also blocks thunderbird all day, not that I'd pick him above thunderbird. He is very playable across a wide variety of Sapphire decks and becomes a very premium pickup with the +1/+1 champ or the +3/0 champ.

I will play the 1/3 flier in sapphire over vulture all the time.

• Locked thread