Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Woops, :)

Well I'm sure multiplayer would be even worse then unfortunately.

Edit: Well after looking into it it seems that CPU is fairly on par with a Phenom II 965be, which I only mention because I used to play BF4 on that with almost no problems. Certainly not the issues you're mentioning. At one point I was using a single 660ti on it as well and this was well before the DX update for nvidia.

I would say I maybe got into 40's in more heavy situations but it definitely stayed in the 50's and 60's in general. Single player was without a doubt very smooth. Maybe there is an underlying issue you can fix.

That was at ultra with 0 MSAA at 1080p. My GPU was as overclocked as humanly possible and my CPU was at a fairly "minor" 4.0 ghz if I recall so there is that to consider but I dont think you should be seeing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Geforce GTX 880 and GTX 870 based on 28nm Maxwell confirmed for November.
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-release-date-gtx-880-gtx-870-october-november/

Any hope for a 20nm card before The Witcher 3 comes out at the end of February?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Nice maybe I can grab a nice used 780ti for a decent price around then

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

1gnoirents posted:

Maybe you can send a PM to Agreed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Excellent. My mini-ITX box that has been GPU-less since I sold my GTX 680 is ready for a GTX 880. And just in time for GTA V!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

Edit: whoops phone double posted

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Senjuro posted:

Geforce GTX 880 and GTX 870 based on 28nm Maxwell confirmed for November.
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-release-date-gtx-880-gtx-870-october-november/

Any hope for a 20nm card before The Witcher 3 comes out at the end of February?

I like how their "authentic confirmation" is simply a non-Nvidia source who is purported to be "insanely reliable". I guess that's what journalism has come to.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe you can send a PM to Agreed.

Who am I kidding I'll just buy an 880ti

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I like how their "authentic confirmation" is simply a non-Nvidia source who is purported to be "insanely reliable". I guess that's what journalism has come to.

Hmm, I should probably have used "rumored" instead of "confirmed".

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

It's WCCtech. They've never engaged in Journalism.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I am not buying this generation's GTX 780 at launch like I did last gen. The 780Ti is already just nutty powerful, no current game can scratch it at my current resolution, I'm waiting for either a node shrink or more information regarding the product itself and what AMD has cooking with their next refresh. Paying like $650-$700 for a graphics card is dumb once, stupid twice, and I'm not going to do the equiv of getting this generation's GTX 9800 when there's a GTX 9800+ seeming pretty likely within an acceptable time frame for good performance.

Very likely going to wait for a double upgrade, card and monitor at the same time. I have no reason at this resolution to change anything, but I do want a higher res monitor with a really nice panel.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 17, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Agreed posted:

I am not buying this generation's GTX 780 at launch like I did last gen. The 780Ti is already just nutty powerful, no current game can scratch it, I'm waiting for either a node shrink or more information regarding the product itself and what AMD has cooking with their next refresh. Paying like $650-$700 for a graphics card is dumb once, stupid twice, and I'm not going to do the equiv of getting this generation's GTX 9800 when there's a GTX 9800+ seeming pretty likely within an acceptable time frame for good performance.

i'm sorry i made your transition experience horrible

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

On the flipside, if you dont wait two generations it makes the card you have in hand quite a bit more valuable allowing you to upgrade for a smaller offset. I'd like a little more out of my 780ti, a level I simply won't get (there's a chance with volt modding which I haven't done) but SLI would be kind of ridiculous overkill for one monitor. Hopefully the 8 series is pretty cool

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

The 780Ti is already just nutty powerful, no current game can scratch it at my current resolution

Watch underscore Dogs Ultra?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

HalloKitty posted:

Watch underscore Dogs Ultra?

Games coded by retarded monkeys making GBS threads on a keyboard shouldn't count.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Games coded by retarded monkeys making GBS threads on a keyboard shouldn't count.

But mechwarrior online is a perfectly respectable subfranchise and its development model is a shining example of continued love and care for a piece of software

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

But mechwarrior online is a perfectly respectable subfranchise and its development model is a shining example of continued love and care for a piece of software

Yeah but they did Sarah's Jenner which was an awesome thing.:pgi:

deimos fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 18, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYzsdBzzho

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Agreed posted:

I am not buying this generation's GTX 780 at launch like I did last gen. The 780Ti is already just nutty powerful, no current game can scratch it at my current resolution, I'm waiting for either a node shrink or more information regarding the product itself and what AMD has cooking with their next refresh. Paying like $650-$700 for a graphics card is dumb once, stupid twice, and I'm not going to do the equiv of getting this generation's GTX 9800 when there's a GTX 9800+ seeming pretty likely within an acceptable time frame for good performance.

Very likely going to wait for a double upgrade, card and monitor at the same time. I have no reason at this resolution to change anything, but I do want a higher res monitor with a really nice panel.

I'm pretty sure we heard this when the GTX680 was released. And when the GTX780 was released. And when the GTX 780ti was released :v:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm not going to toxx myself over it or anything because yeah I've definitely established a consumption pattern of getting really nice graphics cards when they're pretty new, but still, we don't know what performance is going to look like on the top end units and the 780Ti is powerful enough that its stock boost behavior keeps up with the Uber mode on the R9 290X, and things only get interesting in very aftermarket models of each top-end option as they reinforce power delivery and cooling. Yeah, I guess Watch_Dogs is going to run at sub perfect levels if I ever buy it, but I don't think I'm going to (passed it up most recent sale, maybe when we're at a point that it's Saints Row III/IV or GTA IV cheap I'll see what it's about). We know for a fact that "poorly optimized" doesn't even begin to cover it with that friggin' game, so I'm not going to sweat one performance outlier when I am thrilled with my game performance across the board elsewise. I did it entirely to myself but I did burn with the top end of this gen, buying both cards at full price - though thankfully EVGA cards keep their value so I was able to recoup some of it and hopefully give a better home to some cards that needed people that'd appreciate them :v:

I guess it's all speculation until something concrete happens, but an upgrade right now, on this monitor and with this comp would take very profound performance improvements and more than one game that actually takes advantage of added performance (and not because it discards the notion of LOD for some dumb reason).

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Agreed posted:

Hopefully you can get 60 fps avg on a 4k monitor or downsample 4k onto a 1440p Korean with next gen GPUs.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Does this mean that the 20nm Maxwell cards will be the 870ti/880ti early next year? Seems like a great idea to cough up the cash now :v:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

I still don't understand why they skipped straight to GM2xx when their only GM1xx card is the GM107 on the 750 Ti. I would imagine that the non-Ti versions of the 870 and 880 will have some SMMs disabled as per usual with the Ti versions with all SMMs.

At the end of the day, second gen Maxwell should at least get close to 60 frames @ 4K. Then first gen Pascal should end of crossing that line.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 18, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What would be really great is if either company could figure out how to get three or four cards to scale linearly in SLI/Crossfire. I don't get why 4-way SLI can't say "OK guys, everyone sync your frames to this clock and take one quarter of the screen, GO"

What we actually get is often the same or slower FPS with three or four cards... can't someone do like, APIs that any developer can use to make things ramp up properly?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm just hoping the high-end cards dropping in November have 6-8GB of vram on them. 4GB is really not going to cut it moving forward.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Rime posted:

I'm just hoping the high-end cards dropping in November have 6-8GB of vram on them. 4GB is really not going to cut it moving forward.

:supaburn:

I hope they have 6gb of ram too, but only so I dont have to wade through an ocean of "does my nvidia card have enough vram for watch dogs???" searching for literally any gpu info on Google

Ironic I just searched for something completely unrelated 20 minutes ago and ended up seeing a thread of a guy using 780 ti SLI and Titans in SLI for 1080p and still seeing the stuttering hitching "memory" issue.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

If anyone has the inclination or the time to help me with my GPU issues, I'd greatly appreciate it. I bought an ASUS Matrix ROG 280x at launch and it has been artifacting after a few hours of play in BF4 since the first week. I should have RMA'ed it, I can probably still RMA it but I discovered that odds are very likely the replacement model will also artifact because most of these cards are just "defective."

So I'm looking for other solutions instead:

1. Buy NVIDIA (never had an artifacting issue with Nvidia cards), I'm looking at the 770 but in terms of performance they seem to be equal and I'd feel stupid throwing money away like that. I'd rather wait for the next generation of cards.
2. Downclocked from 1100 to 1000 GPU and 1600 to 1500 MEM which seems to have alleviated the artifacting problem but now if I have BF4 open (did not have time to test other games) and open a video (ex: youtube) I get a light blue color screen which locks up the computer but sound will continue to play.
3. Try different drivers; no catalyst driver has helped so far and some users report fixing the issue by updating the bios on their other 280x card but ASUS does not have any updates for this card.

Couple of things to bear in mind, all temperatures are nominal and are well within acceptable operational ranges. GPU stays around 70-78° during gaming and I have not tampered with voltages (yet).

Edit: I used to run a 580GTX on this same PC and power supply.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

That sounds pretty boned :(

I wouldn't even bother and RMA it, but that's just me. That process in itself sounds drawn out and fairly painful though. Well, I'd RMA it, buy a 770, and then when the RMA comes back test it see if it even works then sell (or return) whichever one I liked less

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

:wtc: RMA it, why would you not RMA it?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Not getting a new video card until the rift CV1 comes out.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Zero VGS posted:

What would be really great is if either company could figure out how to get three or four cards to scale linearly in SLI/Crossfire. I don't get why 4-way SLI can't say "OK guys, everyone sync your frames to this clock and take one quarter of the screen, GO"

What we actually get is often the same or slower FPS with three or four cards... can't someone do like, APIs that any developer can use to make things ramp up properly?

I think there would need to be better communication bandwidth/latency for this to work properly, it's a fundamental hardware problem rather than it just being an issue of poorly done software. I believe that's why they switched from doing SFR (which is what you described) to AFR because the communication overhead for SFR is too high.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

:supaburn:

I hope they have 6gb of ram too, but only so I dont have to wade through an ocean of "does my nvidia card have enough vram for watch dogs???" searching for literally any gpu info on Google

Ironic I just searched for something completely unrelated 20 minutes ago and ended up seeing a thread of a guy using 780 ti SLI and Titans in SLI for 1080p and still seeing the stuttering hitching "memory" issue.

I thought it was already established that Watch Dogs was poorly optimized garbage?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Agreed posted:

I guess it's all speculation until something concrete happens, but an upgrade right now, on this monitor and with this comp would take very profound performance improvements and more than one game that actually takes advantage of added performance (and not because it discards the notion of LOD for some dumb reason).

I'm just poking fun, buying a new high-end GPUs on release is pretty mild on the money-spent-on-hobbies scale especially if you can resell the previous.

afkmacro posted:

If anyone has the inclination or the time to help me with my GPU issues, I'd greatly appreciate it. I bought an ASUS Matrix ROG 280x at launch and it has been artifacting after a few hours of play in BF4 since the first week. I should have RMA'ed it, I can probably still RMA it but I discovered that odds are very likely the replacement model will also artifact because most of these cards are just "defective."

So I'm looking for other solutions instead:

1. Buy NVIDIA (never had an artifacting issue with Nvidia cards), I'm looking at the 770 but in terms of performance they seem to be equal and I'd feel stupid throwing money away like that. I'd rather wait for the next generation of cards.
2. Downclocked from 1100 to 1000 GPU and 1600 to 1500 MEM which seems to have alleviated the artifacting problem but now if I have BF4 open (did not have time to test other games) and open a video (ex: youtube) I get a light blue color screen which locks up the computer but sound will continue to play.
3. Try different drivers; no catalyst driver has helped so far and some users report fixing the issue by updating the bios on their other 280x card but ASUS does not have any updates for this card.

Couple of things to bear in mind, all temperatures are nominal and are well within acceptable operational ranges. GPU stays around 70-78° during gaming and I have not tampered with voltages (yet).

Edit: I used to run a 580GTX on this same PC and power supply.

Sounds like bad memory, you should RMA that.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Khagan posted:

I thought it was already established that Watch Dogs was poorly optimized garbage?

It's not good no, but it did poke the vram fire to scorching levels.

Do I believe an 880 or something can use 8gb? That would be one hell of a jump imo and I would love to see it, but no I kind of doubt that. At the same time it isn't a bad thing, other than the fact fast gddr5 is pretty expensive.

At one point I tried to look up the cost of 7.0 ghz gddr5 for some perspective but got anywhere from "$1 a chip we r bein scammed" to "$100 a gb" which is stupid so I dont really know

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

That article from earlier pointed to using a 256-bit bus, not sure if that would "hold back" 8GB or not.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Sapphire built a number of 8gb R9 290x, they just restricted sales to the UK only. :argh:

Albeit, they were $1,024. Per card.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

It's not good no, but it did poke the vram fire to scorching levels.

Do I believe an 880 or something can use 8gb? That would be one hell of a jump imo and I would love to see it, but no I kind of doubt that. At the same time it isn't a bad thing, other than the fact fast gddr5 is pretty expensive.

At one point I tried to look up the cost of 7.0 ghz gddr5 for some perspective but got anywhere from "$1 a chip we r bein scammed" to "$100 a gb" which is stupid so I dont really know

This is why I've been delaying buying a new graphics card.

The amount of vram is going to rise exponentially and we haven't even begun to stack it on top each other yet. Won't be long before the vram sweet spot is overshot though.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Khagan posted:

This is why I've been delaying buying a new graphics card.

The amount of vram is going to rise exponentially and we haven't even begun to stack it on top each other yet. Won't be long before the vram sweet spot is overshot though.

I think its going to be more resolution based rather than game engine based that really drives the need for vram, but in either case if the cards are more powerful they can use more vram so I'm looking forward to it.

It's still going to be hard for me to believe that the proposed 870 can really make use of more than 3gb, but that's just based on how well a 780ti does with 3gb. Regardless I'd be surprised if it had less than 4 for reference.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Looks like 290X uses a 512-bit bus even for the 4GB version. Can someone weigh in on how 256-bit bus would handle 8GB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I'm looking at picking up a Lenovo Y50 with a Maxwell 860M video card. They have two options 2GB and 4GB. The only video games I play are WoW and a little bit of CS:Go. I want to be able to max out the settings @ 1920x1080. Would I notice much if any difference between the 2 and 4 gig version? It's going to be paired with a i7 4710, 16 gigs of ram, and Evo 840 512gb ssd. I plan on keeping this laptop for 4+ years. It'll be replacing a laptop with a Radeon 5440 1gb.