Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So in that final area to they just expect you to do what i did and quick-save, cloak run through everything find a spot to stop and do it over and over again? Hopefully without getting into a situation where you literally cannot pass by without bumping into sombody and screwing the whole thing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If you're like me you might have enough energy bars ad protein buckets saved up to make it through the whole section just shoveling them into your mouth.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So in that final area to they just expect you to do what i did and quick-save, cloak run through everything find a spot to stop and do it over and over again? Hopefully without getting into a situation where you literally cannot pass by without bumping into sombody and screwing the whole thing up.

The final area does not botch Foxiest at all, even if the enemies spot you and go Hostile. It will ruin Pacifist if you kill anyone, and ALSO if you knock someone out in the final boss fight and they get electrocuted afterwards (but not if they get electrocuted without you laying a finger on them).

In addition, it's possible to completely bug out all the enemies if you get spotted and then jump on top of a high unreachable platform, and then turn on/off your cloak. For whatever reason this sometimes fucks up the entire AI, and after that most if not all of the enemies in the current area and every area afterwards will approach you but won't attack you at all. I've had this happen to me in both my playthroughs on PC.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 12, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Well, you are essentially dealing with zombies so they won't trigger alarms. I would be cautious about any robots, turrets and such though.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Office Thug posted:

I got Foxiest and Pacifist (along with most of the non-DLC achievements) in a single Deus Ex difficulty run and basically did it by performing only take-downs. I punched out literally every single hostile in the game by the end of it, except the ones in the final areas.

I got both Foxiest and Pacifist on my first play through of the game and I had so, so much more fun the second time not giving a poo poo if I killed someone or got spotted. The amount of quicksaving and quickloading you need to do to preserve a Foxiest/Pacifist run is frustrating. Also Pacifist is terribly bugged and you can screw it up without even realizing it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The opening area also counts for a pacifist run which has some difficult scripted sections were enemies are in an advantageous position and you can't knock them out.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Anyone got anything for Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

al-azad posted:

The opening area also counts for a pacifist run which has some difficult scripted sections were enemies are in an advantageous position and you can't knock them out.

Yep, killing those guys totally ruined my Pacifist run without even realizing it on my very first play-through too.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Anyone have suggestions for The Red Solstice? I know it sorta just came out but it was originally a WC3 and/or SC2 mod I think. Either way I can tell it handles a lot like DOTA and those sorts of things obviously so any tips for getting into it would be appreciated.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got the God of War trilogy for the PS3.

What should I know about these games? Is there anyway to take stress off my thumbs or are they really this button mashy?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

skooma512 posted:

I got the God of War trilogy for the PS3.

What should I know about these games? Is there anyway to take stress off my thumbs or are they really this button mashy?

It isn't as button mashy as you think. The best combo in any of the games is Square, Square, Triangle. Large damage, stun, and easy to get off. The combos are not that complicated. Most combos are press Square until you feel like pressing Triangle.

Dodge. Learn it, love it, do it every chance you get.

Learn to time blocks. When you level up the blades enough or get certain items it allows you to counter attack out of a block. The counter attacks are usually good.

You gain bonus experience when you combo hits together. Usually multiples of 10. Doesn't seem like much but it really adds up.

In the second and third game you start getting more experience from executions (Circle).

You will die. Sometimes in extremely stupid ways. It happens.

Level up area of effect magic. Poseidon's Rage in the first one, Krono's Rage in the second. I don't remember what the third is. Using these will make your combo counter orgasm.

If you can destroy a door or part of the scenery it makes your controller vibrate. This is helpful with finding secrets. A lot of the secrets are tricks with the camera.

Don't worry about missing health and magic upgrades. There are more chances to get upgrades than what you need. If you find enough to max out early the rest of the chests that would have held them are experience instead.

Every game towards the end has a gauntlet of sorts. Just long stretches of combat without a break. The one in the first game is especially bullshit. Don't be scared to use magic as there are chests/orbs during them to refill with.

Try to not let the first one turn you off to the series. Three is really good but Two is the true winner.

If you have any specific questions I played this game way too loving much.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

limp_cheese posted:

It isn't as button mashy as you think. The best combo in any of the games is Square, Square, Triangle. Large damage, stun, and easy to get off. The combos are not that complicated. Most combos are press Square until you feel like pressing Triangle.

Dodge. Learn it, love it, do it every chance you get.

Learn to time blocks. When you level up the blades enough or get certain items it allows you to counter attack out of a block. The counter attacks are usually good.

You gain bonus experience when you combo hits together. Usually multiples of 10. Doesn't seem like much but it really adds up.

In the second and third game you start getting more experience from executions (Circle).

You will die. Sometimes in extremely stupid ways. It happens.

Level up area of effect magic. Poseidon's Rage in the first one, Krono's Rage in the second. I don't remember what the third is. Using these will make your combo counter orgasm.

If you can destroy a door or part of the scenery it makes your controller vibrate. This is helpful with finding secrets. A lot of the secrets are tricks with the camera.

Don't worry about missing health and magic upgrades. There are more chances to get upgrades than what you need. If you find enough to max out early the rest of the chests that would have held them are experience instead.

Every game towards the end has a gauntlet of sorts. Just long stretches of combat without a break. The one in the first game is especially bullshit. Don't be scared to use magic as there are chests/orbs during them to refill with.

Try to not let the first one turn you off to the series. Three is really good but Two is the true winner.

If you have any specific questions I played this game way too loving much.

I'll add on to this a little:

At the end of 3, maybe don't be such a psychopath for 3 minutes like I was. You'll understand. It'll feel right to do it, though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I bought Sleepy Dogs today to celebrate my 360 being fixed, but haven't found time to play it. Anything important I should know?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Justin_Brett posted:

I bought Sleepy Dogs today to celebrate my 360 being fixed, but haven't found time to play it. Anything important I should know?

Offhand, here's what I remember, others will probably have more:

-triad experience is harder to max out than cop experience
-get arm/leg break to make crowd control much easier and also they're awesome
-use environmental hazards all the time
-there's this one mission where you defeat monks at a temple; it's endless and you don't have to keep fighting forever
-listen to the radio all the time because it's awesome
-for the surveillance missions, I believe you can activate a bunch of cameras before going home so you can just do all the surveillance bits at the same time instead of running home for each one
-you're not a man unless you have a pork bun in your hand

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

duckfarts posted:

-there's this one mission where you defeat monks at a temple; it's endless and you don't have to keep fighting forever
-for the surveillance missions, I believe you can activate a bunch of cameras before going home so you can just do all the surveillance bits at the same time instead of running home for each one

Don't worry about tracking down the Jade Statues. You'll run into all of them over the course of the story missions. As in they'll likely be literally in front of you, or just off to the side. For example, one's sitting atop a shop counter in a cutscene. All you have to do when it ends is turn around and walk back into the shop to go grab it.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't worry about tracking down the Jade Statues. You'll run into all of them over the course of the story missions. As in they'll likely be literally in front of you, or just off to the side. For example, one's sitting atop a shop counter in a cutscene. All you have to do when it ends is turn around and walk back into the shop to go grab it.

Yeah, and some of them you'll track down only to find you physically can't get to them yet because you haven't done the mission that involves you getting into the building it's sitting in.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

...and doing the girlfriend missions will point out the collectables on the map. Also note that the clothing tagged with "Ladykiller" don't seem to actually do anything if you wear a full set.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If you are having trouble getting the combat down, visit the dojo and do some of the practise/training stuff. I found it helpful. A lot of it is learning to recognise the 3 basic enemy types; The one who cant be grappled and should be punched a lot, the one who will block strikes and should be grappled and the basic enemy type who you can bat around like a kitten playing with a ball of wool.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

...and doing the girlfriend missions will point out the collectables on the map.

Speaking of which, if you find yourself wondering what the hell they're talking about during girlfriend missions, don't worry. You haven't done them out of order by accident or anything, they cut a lot of the girlfriend stuff out of the game in the end, so the cutscenes will reference stuff that never happened and never will.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
With regard to DLC, avoid the Top Dog and High Roller packs if you don't want to pay real money for cop/triad experience and some in-game money. Some of the other costume packs are fun, depending on the tone you want for your game. The game is great because you can almost choose whether it's a gritty blood opera or Saints Row: Hong Kong.

The story DLC add ons (Nightmare in North Point and Year of the Snake) take place after the game is over, and have separate save slots. Neither is especially memorable but North Point has some interesting new mechanics.

The guy talking about pork buns isn't joking. Always have a buff of some kind, preferably food for the health regen and massages for the face meter bonus. Tea and energy drinks aren't as useful in my experience but they are all cheap and plentiful.

You should max Cop and Face XP just from drug busts and favors. Triad XP is harder to max; I hit full after the final mission and I wore the +Triad XP duds for most of the game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Speaking of which, if you find yourself wondering what the hell they're talking about during girlfriend missions, don't worry. You haven't done them out of order by accident or anything, they cut a lot of the girlfriend stuff out of the game in the end, so the cutscenes will reference stuff that never happened and never will.

Did they also cut out the last third of the game or something? I beat it last week and the ending felt super abrupt. Good game and all but it really felt like they ran into major problems during production.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The best DLC is the one that lets you wear the cop uniform in all your secret infiltration Triad meetings.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

That you drove up to in a clearly labeled police cruiser.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

My favorite Sleeping Dogs DLC is the one where you acquire a supercar loaded with gadgets and upgrade it by completing missions revolving around it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Honestly, I think you could probably safely ignore most of the DLC, unless you want some kickin' rad duds or a bunch of cheaty things (and I'm including the fun as hell Wheels of Fury in this too). Also, if you want to trivialize the hand to hand combat, just play it like you would an Assassin's Creed game: Kill with counters. But grabbing and breaking arms/legs is fun as hell too so...?

Also, if you're in a firefight, abuse the hell out of bullet time mode. Get behind a box or something, vault over the box and then start unloading on fools, preferable in their head. It has the right sort of feel as a Max Payne game or something.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sleeping Dogs thing that I brought up in the past and I think is worth including:

When the police chase you, shooting out their tires (or even worse, shooting the cops) is just going to increase your wanted level. Ram your car into the police car twice or so, and you'll drive them off the road and drop your wanted level.

KoB
May 1, 2009

duckfarts posted:

-Always smack people with your car door.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That you drove up to in a clearly labeled police cruiser.

With a police officer that you kidnapped in the trunk.

Even the police get arrested :getin:

So yeah, my tip is that you can cram whoever you like in the trunk of cars by grabbing them and pressing Y or whatever it is when using the keyboard when standing in front of the trunk.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Kruller posted:

I'll add on to this a little:

At the end of 3, maybe don't be such a psychopath for 3 minutes like I was. You'll understand. It'll feel right to do it, though.

Is this the part where you beat Zeus to death in first-person, and you can literally over the screen with his blood and it'll only end when you stop punching?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

KoB posted:

-Always smack people with your car door.

Toyota Tripwire is OP as hell.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Is this the part where you beat Zeus to death in first-person, and you can literally over the screen with his blood and it'll only end when you stop punching?

Do it long enough and you get an achievement!

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I just need to give an unsolicited tip for Dark Souls 2 since beforeiplay requires registration or something:

- You'll find one or more of Rings of Life Protection in the game which make you not lose souls when dying, but break. Unlike their equivalent in DS1 however, they do not break for good, but can be repaired at the blacksmith (once you have access to him) for 3000 souls. Not only will wearing such ring save your souls if you die, but it also preserves your humanity status. So while you worry about running out of Human Effigies and whether you have enough of them to keep summoning phantoms for bossfights and whatnot, you can simply wear a Ring of Life Protection permanently all day every day, and only lose 3000 souls (which is still good investment early, and peanuts in the later half of the game) and a trip to the blacksmith if you die.

That tactic along with convenience such as trash enemies not respawning endlessly, actually makes DS2 somewhat easier than its predecessor.

ps: For killing crystal lizards, Halberds are good. I used a Black Knight Halberd, but I think other ones can do the same downward slash + quick stab combo for reliable instakill.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 17, 2014

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.
Colossatron is pretty opaque! I like the premise, but I feel like the game communicates nothing about which weapons are best, what enemies are vulnerable to, how much variety to shoot for, etc. Are there any suggestions for what weapons/gadgets to unlock? And does money carry over between "campaigns" even if I fail one?

Thanks!

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I'm finally caving to peer pressure. Anyone got tips for Fallout 2 or Phantasy Star 4 that might be helpful?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Phantasy Star 4's as straight-forward as it gets. If you've played a Final Fantasy before, you're fine going in blind.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I'm finally caving to peer pressure. Anyone got tips for Fallout 2 that might be helpful?

The first thing you have to do immediately is the Temple of Trials, the first dungeon which turns off many gamers. It kinda sucks to get thrown right into it, trial by fire. Its not too bad though, so persevere! The game gets a bit easier and way more open after.

The trick to fighting the early bug monsters is to walk up and hit them, and then move 3 tiles away. Then they'll chase you but run out of energy before they can attack, so now you whack them again and run again. Its like the turn based version of fighting zombies in half-life, there's a whack-move-whack-move rhythm you get into.

Intelligence opens up more dialogue options, not Charisma, which is backwards of most RPGs. Intelligence makes you talk good, Charisma helps you get better prices in shops and stuff.

Its a big game so don't be afraid to google/wiki stuff, but once you get out into the wasteland you should pick it up.

I like to put lots of points into Intelligence, Agility, and Perception, and then get good with small guns early on. Lockpicking is pretty drat useful, as is hacking, more so than Fallout 3 I would say.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I'm finally caving to peer pressure. Anyone got tips for Fallout 2 or Phantasy Star 4 that might be helpful?

Shoot everyone/thing in the dick.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

Intelligence opens up more dialogue options, not Charisma, which is backwards of most RPGs. Intelligence makes you talk good, Charisma helps you get better prices in shops and stuff.
It's also perfectly possible to play the game as a drooling retard, but preferrably on your second playthrough as you'd be missing out on a lot of quests and dialogue.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just picked it up on the cheap, so have some tips for

Rogue Shooter
  • Remap inventory from space bar to something like Tab that you won't constantly hit by mistake.
  • Of the starting classes, the Scientist is hands-down the best for a new player. He gets a passive item which gives you Intel when you walk over dead enemies. Intel is how you unlock things. Considering how much running around and killing you'll do, this adds up fast. It also gets a weapon that can be loaded with construction materials, which can be very useful when you're out of other ammo.
  • Of the starting perks, the Radar upgrade is probably the best, but a case can also be made for the fast-reload one.
  • This only holds for the very beginning. Once you start unlocking stuff, you have more wiggle room on builds, so have fun.
  • Go into options and turn on bodies persisting, if your system can handle it, otherwise they'll usually fade away before you can get the Intel.
  • The number one key to survival is mobility. Know where the enemies are, know where the walls are, pay attention to your map and radar. Don't get boxed in. If you do, use a protective item, or just kick your way out (right click) until you can run like hell again.
  • Related to the above, when you catch a single weak enemy alone (like the yellow jumpsuit guys), kill them by kicking repeatedly. You'll stunlock them, and save ammo and weapon durability.
  • If a gray stony dude jumps on your screen, you have to kick him to get him off.
  • You don't have to kill every enemy in the level to advance. If you're low on health or ammo and feel like you can't safely kill every enemy, kill as many as you need to so that you can grab all the items in the level. Then move on.
  • When you level up, the game doesn't stop you to tell you to spend your Perk points (every even level). Remember to do it yourself, or they'll sit there doing nothing.
  • There is a safehouse every four floors, and a boss on every tenth floor. Your priority at the safehouse should be health first, then fixing armor, then fixing weapons and buying ammo, then upgrading if you have any tools left. On boss floors, focus on killing everyone but the boss, then go for him last.
  • It's a roguelike. You'll die. A lot. Don't get discouraged.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 18, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phantasy Star 4
  • The game is very linear and very good about telling you where you should be going. Don't skip too many text boxes and you'll go to the right place.
  • There are secret combination techniques if you cast the right spells/abilities in sequence with each other. They are completely unnecessary to beating the game but they are powerful.
  • Check back into the guild hall throughout the game for new guild quests. They're all worth nice piles of money but are often pretty darn hard for when you originally get them.
  • When you refight the wizard and extract your vengeance you need to use the item you're given in battle or he'll just mess you up a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Anything for Disgaea D2? I'm starting a new game, so tips would be appreciated!