Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The official translation is up at CrunchyRoll. It's pretty close to the leak, but has Jean calling himself an idiot rather than someone unable to be ruthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I really like how the manga plays around with unreliable PoVs. Armin and Jean saw a different facial expression on the interior MP's face. Marlow saw a gun, when it was just a stick.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Seeing as how the next release is imminent, it got me thinking. It's kinda surprising how irrelevant Eren has become these past eight chapters, considering he's the key to everything going on in the story, and may just be the strongest person in the entire world. I get the feeling he'll be back in center stage again soon.

quote:

Does anyone else get the feeling like Isayama has been lying to us and Jean is actually the main character of this series? Sure Eren is more important, but Jean feels much more like the protagonist than Eren at this point. How many times and for how long has Eren been the MacGuffin/damsel in distress now?

The series has evolved to a ensemble cast, like for example Games of Thrones, instead of being focused on a single heroic main character. Now it's the story of Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Levi, Sasha, Jean, Hange, Connie, Historia, even Reiner, Bertolt, etc. We had entire chapters where the plot thread was a group which didn't hae Eren, Mikasa or Armin, chapters that were flashbacks of other people in the group like Sasha, etc.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 14, 2014

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Thinking about it, I feel like the Titans will ultimately be revealed to be some kind of attempt at relieving humanity of the burdens of being human gone horribly wrong.

When Eren disappears into his Titan form upon commencement of the operation to take back Trost, he finds himself lost in a happy memory of his family together in their homes. It's something that he doesn't want to come out of, and only emerges from with the help of Armin. There is also the bit with Pixis telling Eren about the belief that a common foe would bring humanity together. Perhaps whoever or whatever created the Titans though they could put all of humanity in a state of permanent contentment and happiness by causing them to disappear into a form which is nigh indestructible and requires no food and very little sunlight to continue to function. The fact that something went wrong and it is the Titans themselves who united against a common foe, and mindlessly and relentless pursued the consumption of that foe, would fit thematically with the idea of unifying against a common enemy.

Not entirely sure where the ape titan fits into all of this.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Monkey Trouble will never be brought up again, not even by the characters. Everything else will resolve without answering what his deal was, leaving fans confused and angry for decades.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Terper posted:

Monkey Trouble will never be brought up again, not even by the characters. Everything else will resolve without answering what his deal was, leaving fans confused and angry for decades.

:lost:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

threeagainstfour posted:

Thinking about it, I feel like the Titans will ultimately be revealed to be some kind of attempt at relieving humanity of the burdens of being human gone horribly wrong.

It could be the typical "biological weapon from past age that went out of control".

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

It could be the typical "biological weapon from past age that went out of control".

I think it's almost certainly going to be some sort of technology run amok, but I think it's going to turn out that it was never meant to be a weapon.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

threeagainstfour posted:

I think it's almost certainly going to be some sort of technology run amok, but I think it's going to turn out that it was never meant to be a weapon.

It could be something that started as transhumanism "positive" technology but later there were factions that clashed each other for whatever reason and started using it in offensive ways, hundreds of years later the losing faction are the few humans remaining.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Turin Turambar posted:

The series has evolved to a ensemble cast, like for example Games of Thrones, instead of being focused on a single heroic main character. Now it's the story of Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Levi, Sasha, Jean, Hange, Connie, Historia, even Reiner, Bertolt, etc. We had entire chapters where the plot thread was a group which didn't hae Eren, Mikasa or Armin, chapters that were flashbacks of other people in the group like Sasha, etc.

At this point, Eren is basically a running joke about shonen protagonists and damsels in distress, though.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

oh man this series is getting 2spooky4me

Spoof on Titan 33

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Terper posted:

I'm sure he's in the basement that supposedly exists under Eren's old home.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

threeagainstfour posted:

When Eren disappears into his Titan form upon commencement of the operation to take back Trost, he finds himself lost in a happy memory of his family together in their homes. It's something that he doesn't want to come out of, and only emerges from with the help of Armin. There is also the bit with Pixis telling Eren about the belief that a common foe would bring humanity together. Perhaps whoever or whatever created the Titans though they could put all of humanity in a state of permanent contentment and happiness by causing them to disappear into a form which is nigh indestructible and requires no food and very little sunlight to continue to function. The fact that something went wrong and it is the Titans themselves who united against a common foe, and mindlessly and relentless pursued the consumption of that foe, would fit thematically with the idea of unifying against a common enemy.

Not entirely sure where the ape titan fits into all of this.

The previous chapter actually subtly revealed the truth of why Titans devour humans. Titans or rather the human inside the titan devours other humans in the off chance one of them is a titan shifter, so it's pilot may regain their humanity. It's a process the pilot has no real control over.
With the "Coordinate" having the ability to issue orders and Annie's powerset existing, I think Titans were always intended to be or modified to be a weapon.

I did like Eren's happy moment because while it clashes with his desire for freedom and exploration- maybe the hint is that's his real desire. Or maybe it's like when Ymir said that she was trapped in an endless nightmare it's a situation where they are both trapped in a tranquil environment, but not what they really wanted.

quote:

Monkey Trouble will never be brought up again, not even by the characters.

It sure seems that way, but Ymir said that "the situation in the walls will soon become a hell" so either there is another attack imminent, or maybe another memory purge by the conspirators.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
I still hold to my belief that there are three factions all originating from the same radical enviromentalist group centuries ago bent on the destruction of most of humanity due to our effect on the planet. Titan Village, who are the purists and believe in a rough agrarian lifestyle and not associating with non-titan humans. And in turn had a truce with the Royalists, who want a higher quality of life by keeping a tiny portion of humanity alive to manipulate as an economic base to support their affluent lifestyles. And finally the extremist, the monkey titan, a loner, probably the former leader of the radical enviromentalist group who fervently believes all humans must die, whether they have titan abilities or not, and had previously been unaware of the existance of the wall civilization or titan village and probably the most powerful titan there is with a range of abilities including Eren's commander ability.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It sure seems that way, but Ymir said that "the situation in the walls will soon become a hell" so either there is another attack imminent, or maybe another memory purge by the conspirators.

I'm pretty sure she was referring to the fact that society within the walls is already breaking down due to the territory and resources that have already been lost.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I wonder if Eren's coordinate powers could possibly force titans to turn back into humans.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

AshB posted:

I wonder if Eren's coordinate powers could possibly force titans to turn back into humans.

Is that possible? I thought the entire reason why the Shifters could control their Titan forms was because their bodies weren't fully dissolved within the Titan. Eren over-exerted himself as a Titan, and found it harder to control himself as his real body started to dissolve.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

AshB posted:

I doubt it. Becoming a titan seems like a semi-permament transformative process. The titan becomes your body. That being said there is the possibility for a cure.

quote:

I'm pretty sure she was referring to the fact that society within the walls is already breaking down due to the territory and resources that have already been lost.

Ymir is a smart girl who is in the know to the truth of the world, but how could she know that? The people still support the monarchy, because they appear to be working for everyone's best interest. Even a horrific and de-humanizing event like the purge after the fall of the walls didn't bring down the government because the argument could be made it was done with humanity's best intentions in mind.

Now that I think about it, even the real goals of the conspirators within the walls is like that. They just want to keep their lifestyle and influence over people- but do have shades of wanting to do what's best for humanity. Whatever "preventing war" is. Even King of the Assholes Rod Reiss appears to genuinely care about the people in his life.

Edit: Though- not saying you're wrong either. It's a good point.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 18, 2014

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
You could be correct and there might be more to it, but the writing has been on the wall (groan) since they lost Wall Maria.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I guess it's kind of a wacky thought, but I thought it would be interesting and not especially implausible if the coordinator powers could turn titans back into humans. Although the power to control titans is very useful, the power to turn them into humans again would probably have a way bigger impact to the new context of the story. The story has recently taken a turn to suggest that titans were created by humans, possibly for some kind of power play. If somebody could undo everything that's been done, imagine the intrigue. It's probably too off the wall though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think that in the same way that there is a "control the titans" coordinate, there are "shifter" coordinates, which allow the person to still being himself and revert the transformation, be a shifter in other words. That's why when a normal Titan devours a shifter he regains the ability to be human again.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hey sorry to barge in homies-- if I watched the anime, where can I pick up where it left off in the manga?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

Hey sorry to barge in homies-- if I watched the anime, where can I pick up where it left off in the manga?

Chapter 33 I believe. Or right before. The last fight is different in the manga.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I think that in the same way that there is a "control the titans" coordinate, there are "shifter" coordinates, which allow the person to still being himself and revert the transformation, be a shifter in other words. That's why when a normal Titan devours a shifter he regains the ability to be human again.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive. All the shifters we met so far seem capable of keeping their sanity and controlling their transformation. Eren just kind of sucks at it more than the others, that's all.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

AshB posted:

I don't think those are mutually exclusive. All the shifters we met so far seem capable of keeping their sanity and controlling their transformation. Eren just kind of sucks at it more than the others, that's all.

No, I'm talking of why shifters are that, shifters, and normal Titans can't control themselves. Every shifter (including Eren) has a Shifter coordinate, which also is transferable.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

HorseRenoir posted:

Is that possible? I thought the entire reason why the Shifters could control their Titan forms was because their bodies weren't fully dissolved within the Titan. Eren over-exerted himself as a Titan, and found it harder to control himself as his real body started to dissolve.
Ymir complicates this. If we assume she was just a vanilla titan for her hundred years of mindless wandering, then her body would have fully dissolved. But after she ate shifter dude, her titan form 'remembered' and rebuilt the old her.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

It's also likely that the mindless titans were at one point weapons of war that could be controlled by groups of coordinate Titans, but for whatever reason the ability to coordinate titans was lost/sabotaged by another group, leading to the current state of affairs where the world is swarmed with mindless titans eating every human they can get their hands on.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I wonder if the place wherever Bertholdt and Reiner are from actually knows about the whole government conspiracy and wanted Eren's power to overthrow the government or otherwise somehow act against their interests. Maybe those two aren't as bad as we might currently think.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I think that Reiner's group may have had very different expectations of the inside of the walls before they arrived. Reiner says that their original goal was just to kill everyone and that discovering Eren was a side objective. We haven't seen what the three of them where like during the first attack, but during the second Reiner is looking for any excuse he can to stall. "No let's wait a little longer", "Lets go help relieve the castle instead of sneaking off", "Look mysterious human titan, investigate!".

It could be that they knew, or at least believed, that someone inside the walls was responsible for the Titans. So they set up a plan to let the titans inside and eat everybody, then either they discover the coordinate, or one of the feral titans eats them and becomes it. Once they're inside they realise that most of these people are unaware of the conspiracy and become allot more hesitant to carry out the original plan. Especially after they become friends with several other trainees.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Turin Turambar posted:

Turin Turambar posted:

No, I'm talking of why shifters are that, shifters, and normal Titans can't control themselves. Every shifter (including Eren) has a Shifter coordinate, which also is transferable.
These posts are weird because the comics refer to the Coordinate, capital C, as the "control titans" ability (which is probably more engrish from this author and is supposed to be Coordinator)

and you are using the term for all titan abilities

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jackard posted:

These posts are weird because the comics refer to the Coordinate, capital C, as the "control titans" ability (which is probably more engrish from this author and is supposed to be Coordinator)

and you are using the term for all titan abilities

I'm speculating with more types of coordinates, taking as example the Coordinate we know and other details given in the plot.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The abilities are not "coordinates", that term is referring to a specific ability.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 22, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

AshB posted:

I wonder if the place wherever Bertholdt and Reiner are from actually knows about the whole government conspiracy and wanted Eren's power to overthrow the government or otherwise somehow act against their interests. Maybe those two aren't as bad as we might currently think.

My theory on this is they wanted to kill all the humans in the walls to establish themselves inside, safe from the titans or perhaps the mysterious magilla gorilla faction. Or they wanted to kill all the humans so that there are no more titan reinforcements. They would be the only humans left who are significantly more powerful than an army of normal titans. On finding Eren, they don't need anything within the walls anymore. The crisis ends, but humanity remains enslaved to the conspirators within the walls.

quote:

I think that Reiner's group may have had very different expectations of the inside of the walls before they arrived.

My educated guess toward the titan-shifter faction is:
A. They teach the youth that humanity in the walls are all just awful people who's lives mean nothing. Or the needs of the wall humans are inferior to their own needs. Annie, Berthold, and Reiner did not expect to make friends or find people they genuinely care about. The gravity of what they did only hits them after they've grown up some. I like to think Annie apologizing to Mina's corpse was her personal wake up call to what they've done to the humans in the walls.

B. Whoever is the leader of the titan shifter faction believes in the "Darth Vader" school of rewarding failure, with how utterly terrified the infiltrators are of failure. Annie cried out of frustration when Eren was stolen from her. Ymir points out that they can't go back home empty handed. As in, coming back without success is not allowed.

C. Both of Reiner's personalities are likely the ideal paragon of that society. So you can make some smart guesses as to what each side prefers. Reiner's warrior personality is much more aggressive for example. Tellingly, they both are really big on self-sacrifice.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 22, 2014

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wow, just read the whole thing. Don't normally read any sorts of comics at all. Doesn't look like we'll find out much about King Louie for a while yet, which I think is a shame.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yes, EVERYONE. LOVES. MIKASA.

except Eren. SoT part loving hell

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

ful posted:

Wow, just read the whole thing. Don't normally read any sorts of comics at all. Doesn't look like we'll find out much about King Louie for a while yet, which I think is a shame.

I caught up last month too after watching the anime on netflix and I still can't believe they haven't gone to the goddamn basement yet. Like to the point I feel like I fundamentally misunderstood how many walls got knocked down or which one got plugged up again.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Krinkle posted:

I caught up last month too after watching the anime on netflix and I still can't believe they haven't gone to the goddamn basement yet. Like to the point I feel like I fundamentally misunderstood how many walls got knocked down or which one got plugged up again.
Two walls, one plugged up, but I don't think the anime does a good job of making it clear

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The first episode of the anime had him within walking distance of both the outer gate, watching the rangers come in and cry about dying in vain, and the inner gate when everyone ran to the boats and sailed twenty meters into the next ring. So I'm thinking wall to wall city in the outer ring and also the outer ring is not unfathomably large. When they were hookshotting all over the city in the middle part of the anime I am thinking "this is reclaiming the outer ring again, that rock smashed erin's house and now it is plugging up the hole. This is thematic and now they can go see what is in the basement."

But now they're in the actual outer ring and they ride horses all day through empty land and occasionally find a city or abandoned castle while looking for the hole in the wall and I don't understand the world anymore.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Missing Name posted:

Yes, EVERYONE. LOVES. MIKASA.

except Eren. SoT part loving hell

Have you seen the one with the 1.5m titans and her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

First Shinganshina's wall is broken by the colossal titan, then wall maria is destroyed by the armored titan, and then the colossal titan reappeared to destroy the wall of Trost.