Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

skaboomizzy posted:

Target, having learned nothing from Apple's "Gigantic" ad campaign, is using "Kids In America" for a back to school sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zwOK9xlEWk

What mistake exactly? The content of the song?

People in this thread give way too many shits about song "misuse." No one else cares. Iggy pop's lust for life in a cruise commercial? No one gave a poo poo except Debbie downers that no one wants to listen to.

It's not like Apple is selling fewer devices because someone realizes "wait, that's not what this song is about!" The same for Carnival Cruises.

Besides, maybe I'm missing something because I just read through the lyrics of kids in America and it seems like a generic new wave song about going out dancing and maybe hooking up. Which is completely irrelevant because the song in the ad doesn't even have words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Lust for Life is the perfect song for a cruise line, as 99% of workers on a cruise ship are getting wasted out of their minds and experimenting with crazy sex below decks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

skaboomizzy posted:

Target, having learned nothing from Apple's "Gigantic" ad campaign, is using "Kids In America" for a back to school sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zwOK9xlEWk

That's been tied to children's media since at least the Jimmy Neutron movie in 2001.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Lust for Life is the perfect song for a cruise line, as 99% of workers on a cruise ship are getting wasted out of their minds and experimenting with crazy sex below decks.

Jesus! I need to work on cruise

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

TontoCorazon posted:

Jesus! I need to work on cruise

hope you like norovirus

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The best one is still Honey Nut Cheerios using a song that, in its original form, contains the line "do me like you should / gently caress me good / suck me good." I can't not laugh when I see it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I think you can appreciate how inappropriate a song is for any given product without saying "HOW CAN THE ADVERTISERS BE SUCH FOOLS" about it, 90% of the time it's probably the advertisers laughing about how they managed to work a totally inappropriate song in and probably even the company reps who commissioned it, because no one's really gonna care if that iPhone commercial's cover is actually about a big dick

Everybody wins

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If I could go back and time and erase any two songs from existence, I might have to choose "Atomic Dog" by George Clinton and the P.gently caress, and "Who let the Dogs Out?" by the Baja Men.

:v:"Oh, hey, there is a dog and/or dogs in this movie...we need a song to play over the trailer to remind people of said dogs, even though the word 'Dog' or 'Dogs' is probably in the title of the movie. What song do we use?"

:haw:"Well...there's a song about letting dogs out...we'll have to play that over a scene of the dog and or dogs running, ideally after they have been :airquote: let out :airquote: of a room, car, back of a truck, etc..."

:v:"Great! Put it in there! Oh, and we should also play that one line of a song that goes "Bow wow yo yippie yay yippie yo" over scenes of the dog and/or dogs just generally being "goofy" and doing things one would not expect a dog and/or dogs to do."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

DrBouvenstein posted:

If I could go back and time and erase any two songs from existence, I might have to choose "Atomic Dog" by George Clinton and the P.gently caress, and "Who let the Dogs Out?" by the Baja Men.

:v:"Oh, hey, there is a dog and/or dogs in this movie...we need a song to play over the trailer to remind people of said dogs, even though the word 'Dog' or 'Dogs' is probably in the title of the movie. What song do we use?"

:haw:"Well...there's a song about letting dogs out...we'll have to play that over a scene of the dog and or dogs running, ideally after they have been :airquote: let out :airquote: of a room, car, back of a truck, etc..."

:v:"Great! Put it in there! Oh, and we should also play that one line of a song that goes "Bow wow yo yippie yay yippie yo" over scenes of the dog and/or dogs just generally being "goofy" and doing things one would not expect a dog and/or dogs to do."

You know the worst part? The Baja Men's version was a cover. They looked at the wide range of music man has made, and picked that song to cover.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

PantsBandit posted:

You know the worst part? The Baja Men's version was a cover. They looked at the wide range of music man has made, and picked that song to cover.

Well they looked at the wide range of Caribbean music man has made and totally changed the tone of the song so that it doesn't sound like it's about a bunch of horny men being let into a party (which is what the song is about)

The history of the Baha Men is a very strange example of mainstream music totally warping cultural music/groups

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not alone ... not in the least ...

http://www.thesharkguys.com/lists/top-17-most-overused-movie-soundtrack-songs/

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

PT6A posted:

The best one is still Honey Nut Cheerios using a song that, in its original form, contains the line "do me like you should / gently caress me good / suck me good." I can't not laugh when I see it.

Nothing will ever top Kohls using a 9/11 song for a summer sale, can't find the ad but here's the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF7eh1E2QzM

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hey, don't blame George Clinton for the lovely creative bankruptcy of the people that make movie trailers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

How in the gently caress is "Old Time Rock 'N Roll" not on that list at all, let alone not #1.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Where the gently caress is "Hallelujah"? Leonard Cohen himself has said that he thinks it's overdone.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm glad All-Star was listed in that. I even remember the music video for it quickly put out the non-Mystery Men edit of it once that movie was quickly being hit with bad reviews and box office earnings. However, the song was still so popular it kept showing up over the next several years.

With the idea of music videos acting as ads for movies, I seem to remember someone saying that due to a movie doing so poorly, there was some band that had a music video for some film's soundtrack that was never released because they knew it wasn't going to help the movie at that point.

Something funny though, I was looking up something on the Godzilla soundrack and a song by Jamiroquai on the soundtrack had MULTIPLE videos shot for it. Wiki describes it as "a music video was used as a promotional tool for the 1998 film Godzilla. Partly shot on location at Grays' State Theatre, it depicts a film theatre in which the movie is being shown. However, as the screen shows Godzilla walking on the ocean floor, one of its feet breaks the screen and water floods into the theatre as if the screen were made of glass and everything behind it were real. The theatre turns into chaos as the audience tries to get out alive, in the midst of which Jay Kay appears and dances on top of the seats. Several other things go through the screen, including a helicopter and a taxi."

Another 4 versions of the video apparently exist which seem incredibly strange as hell and I'm editing them down from Wiki:
-One that replaces Godzilla with a man in the movie who smashes an aquarium, causing the theatre to flood.
-One that replaces Godzilla with Hornitor and Scorpitron from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
-One that replaces Godzilla with Maligore from Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie
-One that replaces Godzilla with Optimus Prime and Megatron from Transformers (film series)(WHAT?!?!?!)

This has to be a Wiki vandalism or something, because I can't find any evidence of some official music videos except the generic man-breaks-glass one..

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

How the hell is I Feel Good by James Brown not number one on that list (yes, I see it)? It's the comedy trailer's go to song for the beginning of any trailer, followed by a loud record scratch and a crowd reaction from a completely different part of the movie going "OOHHHH!!! :stonk:"

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 17, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Bah, if any piece of music should be forever erased from existence it should be Paradise by the Dashboard Light. Scratch that, somebody should plain go back in time and kill Meat Loaf.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Where the gently caress is "Hallelujah"? Leonard Cohen himself has said that he thinks it's overdone.

raditts posted:

How in the gently caress is "Old Time Rock 'N Roll" not on that list at all, let alone not #1.

You Are A Elf posted:

How the hell is I Feel Good by James Brown not number one on that list

The entire reason that everything on the internet is in list format now is because of people like you giving lovely linkbait articles exposure via arguing about how they totally (intentionally) ignored a thing that belongs on that list.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

DrBouvenstein posted:

I would agree that either of those songs is the single laziest animal-related music cue in the world, but for the fact that I am a paleontology nerd in a world where "Walk the Dinosaur" exists.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
All music is horrible and should be erased from existence.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I don't know how local Tom Shane of the Shane Company is.

His ads are on every radio commercial break I've ever heard since I was a kid. A jeweler acquaintance of mine says that his claims of going directly to the source for gemstones instead of getting markups from middle-men is misleading, since almost every jeweler (he knows) goes directly to the source and it's not that big a deal.

He has a very distinct voice if you've ever heard it. Pretty easy to do an impression of him.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The entire reason that everything on the internet is in list format now is because of people like you giving lovely linkbait articles exposure via arguing about how they totally (intentionally) ignored a thing that belongs on that list.

Oh please, nobody is writing stern letters to the author or anything. People talking about the music they hate hearing most in movies / movie trailers when the topic of music you hate most in movies / movie trailers comes up, THIS IS AN OUTRAGE TIME TO GET UP ON MY HIGH HORSE

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MrSlam posted:

I don't know how local Tom Shane of the Shane Company is.

His ads are on every radio commercial break I've ever heard since I was a kid. A jeweler acquaintance of mine says that his claims of going directly to the source for gemstones instead of getting markups from middle-men is misleading, since almost every jeweler (he knows) goes directly to the source and it's not that big a deal.

He has a very distinct voice if you've ever heard it. Pretty easy to do an impression of him.

The Shane Company is one of those things everyone thinks is local until they go on vacation somewhere else and hear the same commercial on the radio with local directions.

I grew up in Denver with "Just off Arapahoe road on Emporia Street, one half mile east of I-25. Open Monday through Friday till 8, Saturday and Sunday till 5." and it will be seared into my brain forever. They eventually changed the weekend hours to "Till 6" but it just sounded wrong.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 17, 2014

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

raditts posted:

Oh please, nobody is writing stern letters to the author or anything. People talking about the music they hate hearing most in movies / movie trailers when the topic of music you hate most in movies / movie trailers comes up, THIS IS AN OUTRAGE TIME TO GET UP ON MY HIGH HORSE

No kidding. *beep boop* HUMANS INTERACTING. MUST INITIATE SEQUENCE #43279. "BE A SMUG GOONY GOONLORD TO HUMANS INTERACTING" *beep boop*

SEQUENCE COMPLETED. *boop beep* :smug:

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

Surely you're excepting the one with Dikembe Mutombo :colbert:

that one is my absolute favorite commercial ever.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Urdnot Fire posted:

Surely you're excepting the one with Dikembe Mutombo :colbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

NO NO NO.
NOT TODAY.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

GutBomb posted:

I grew up in Denver with "Just off Arapahoe road on Emporia Street, one half mile east of I-25. Open Monday through Friday till 8, Saturday and Sunday till 5." and it will be seared into my brain forever. They eventually changed the weekend hours to "Till 6" but it just sounded wrong.

In Utah it's, "Now you have a friend in the diamond business. Open weekdays till 8, Saturdays till 5, closed Sundays. [something I can't remember] or visit us online at Shane-Co dot com."

I don't know why the commercials get under my skin. I think it's his voice. It's the pearl I'm making in my craw.

"I'm Tom Shane of the Shane Company. It's a well-known fact that women's panties drop at the very sight of our Solitaire Earrings and Pendants. So why not make her labia twitch to the sound of your name with our directly imported diamonds, rubies, and sapphires? This Christmas when she sees you holding one of our Tahitian Pearl necklaces she'll demand that you take her right then and there under the sight of god, grandma, and the rest of the family..."

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 18, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC5K3peza4Y

Sweet Jesus, I want to shoot my television every time this comes on.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Timby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC5K3peza4Y

Sweet Jesus, I want to shoot my television every time this comes on.

lol this is pathetic

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I hate the trivago.com commercial because it looks like they got the dude from under an overpass and threw some clothes on him at the last minute.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Grin and Tonic posted:

lol this is pathetic

Its like someone at Chapstik saw McHale's David Blaine impression on Community and, with no self-awareness, thought it would be a good idea for a commercial.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

vyst posted:

I hate the trivago.com commercial because it looks like they got the dude from under an overpass and threw some clothes on him at the last minute.

And now there's an outtakes version or something where it's just the guy without all the CGI and background stuff standing there flubbing the lines.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I am getting really loving tired with that goddamn skyn condom ad that plays during every single commerical break on Hulu during the Daily Show and Colbert Report. It's ridiculous as poo poo.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

*dissonant guitar strumming on two strings*

I'm living the life of dreams, I'm living the life of dreams, I'm living the life of dreams, I'm living the life of dreams, I'm living the life of dreams, I'm living the life of dreams, I'm living the life of dreams, I'm living the life of dreams,

DREAMS, DREAMS, DREAMS, DREAMS, DREAMS, DREAMS, DREAMS, DREAMS, DREAMS...

:suicide: Who actually listens to this poo poo and thinks, "wow, what a great song!"?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

MrSlam posted:

In Utah it's, "Now you have a friend in the diamond business. Open weekdays till 8, Saturdays till 5, closed Sundays. [something I can't remember] or visit us online at Shane-Co dot com."

I don't know why the commercials get under my skin. I think it's his voice. It's the pearl I'm making in my craw.

"I'm Tom Shane of the Shane Company. It's a well-known fact that women's panties drop at the very sight of our Solitaire Earrings and Pendants. So why not make her labia twitch to the sound of your name with our directly imported diamonds, rubies, and sapphires? This Christmas when she sees you holding one of our Tahitian Pearl necklaces she'll demand that you take her right then and there under the sight of god, grandma, and the rest of the family..."

We have him in Georgia too and me and my daughter have a running joke about how he says "Sparkle." Any time we use that word now we say it really slow and over pronounced like " Sparrrgle."

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

How are u posted:

I am getting really loving tired with that goddamn skyn condom ad that plays during every single commerical break on Hulu during the Daily Show and Colbert Report. It's ridiculous as poo poo.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Ads You Hate: We Know (And Hate) Comedy Central's Entire Ad Lineup

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

How are u posted:

If you watch Daily Show and Colbert on their respective websites (thedailyshow.com and colbertnation.com), adblock works and you can just watch with no ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Who the gently caress is Melaney and what is up with his weird dried apple head