Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

That drat Satyr posted:

Netflix has added a lot of really good stuff in the past week.

The Institute - About an ARG that took place in mid-California, and the people involved.

Thanks, that was actually pretty interesting. I was unfortunately out of the Bay Area during that time so I completely missed it but seems like it would have been a lot of fun.

Though there were things movie didn't quite explain things well. I guess Eva was loosely based on a real person, but then there was that gay guy whose boyfriend was a cop and pulled a recording of the actual disapearance? Was that actually real and then they found the Berkeley house with the tunnel that he broke into, was that all planned?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Thom Andersen's Los Angeles Plays Itself is getting a DVD release. I'm pretty stoked to check it out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Finally! One of my favorite documentaries of all time. I'd love to own it on DVD. Article suggests VOD, too.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Limo Ride. NSFW. Looks awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH3hClY6H3k

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just watched "Hear My Train A Coming" on Netflix again, and, goddamn, I would love to watch a Hendrix documentary that focuses on the time from Woodstock up to his death... Band Of Gypsys and all the recordings at Electric Ladyland.

Anything out there like that?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been watching The Story of Film on Netflix. It's the most in depth, well researched, and well written movie history I've ever seen.

E: One thing that is really great about this is the shots that were done just for the documentary. Street shots. Shots of people. Just gorgeous.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 13, 2014

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
I really, really wish they had a different narrator for The Story of Film. I found him almost unbearable at times.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

I really, really wish they had a different narrator for The Story of Film. I found him almost unbearable at times.

He grows on you by the third watch through

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What's wrong with him? I haven't had a problem.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For a great insight into television, here's Seinfelf: How It Began. It's a great insight into how any sitcom goes from pitch to development, to pilot, etc etc. drat I had no idea it was so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8_2hPjljag

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Here's a bit of a documentary about Excel Eve Online, how it's different from other MMOs, how its players are huge nerds but also like to stick it to the man, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB1M9ZVuWtM

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

magnificent7 posted:

For a great insight into television, here's Seinfelf: How It Began. It's a great insight into how any sitcom goes from pitch to development, to pilot, etc etc. drat I had no idea it was so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8_2hPjljag

Wasn't this already covered in one of the Seinfeld seasons?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Here's a bit of a documentary about Excel Eve Online, how it's different from other MMOs, how its players are huge nerds but also like to stick it to the man, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB1M9ZVuWtM

I haven't clicked this, but I hope it's what I want it to be. I really want someone to write an EVE online book documenting all the crazy poo poo that has gone on in that game. Everything about this game is fascinating except the idea of actually playing it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I finally got to see As the Palaces Burn and it's a really good watch. It's not out on DVD, but it is on Vimeo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6k-Ev_H7c

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

xcore posted:

I haven't clicked this, but I hope it's what I want it to be. I really want someone to write an EVE online book documenting all the crazy poo poo that has gone on in that game. Everything about this game is fascinating except the idea of actually playing it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sciencegroen/a-history-of-the-great-empires-of-eve-online

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been watching The Story of Film on Netflix. It's the most in depth, well researched, and well written movie history I've ever seen.

E: One thing that is really great about this is the shots that were done just for the documentary. Street shots. Shots of people. Just gorgeous.

I enjoyed this documentary so much. OwO

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really interested in the history of spiritualism and cold reading and seances and the psychology behind them, but I can't really find any documentaries or lectures. Looking for documentaries about spiritualism just results in people that actually believe in it :(

Anyone got any?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ever read any of the books on the subject?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ever read any of the books on the subject?

If you happen to know any particularly good ones I'm all ears, all I seem to be able to find on this stuff is from the people that believe it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a book about it called The History of Spiritualism. Occult America is my favorite, though isn't entirely focused on spiritualism. Talking to the Other Side is the other one I can think of, but I'm not great with bibliographies so that's all I really have.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FeastForCows posted:

Are there any more good documentaries on cinephiles? I really enjoyed Cinemania. Come to think of it, I would love to watch something similar about audiophiles, too.

Not really audiophiles, but if you're specifically interested in obsessives, you should check out Vinyl if you haven't done so already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNRvB8lyRSM

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Battered Bastards of Baseball, which just came out on Netflix last week, is pretty much a clinic in how to make a great documentary. Great interviews and a perfectly arced (edited) story. It had me in its hand from about minute 5 until the last of the end credits. Quality- and story-wise, it is on par with the great sports docs When We Were Kings and Hoop Dreams, albeit without the importance or the dramatic heft of those two films. What it lacks there, it makes up for in vibrancy. You feel like you're a part of this movie, part of something new and awesome. Just a great way to spend 90 minutes. Heads up: the reviews and trailers tend to spoil a few minor surprises.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, they describe it as a "fully re-enacted documentary." Like halfway between a documentary and a based-on-a-true-story movie.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Could not get into Story of Film. The narrator has the most annoying voice of any narrator I've ever heard (narrator is also the creator of this documentary EGOTIST). Also not sure why he has to bash American film to celebrate the film of other countries. And I can't say I like the random shots of people and streets that serve as that background for his monologues. Just filler between relevant clips.

For a better film, watch A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, which I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Draxamus posted:

Could not get into Story of Film. The narrator has the most annoying voice of any narrator I've ever heard (narrator is also the creator of this documentary EGOTIST). Also not sure why he has to bash American film to celebrate the film of other countries. And I can't say I like the random shots of people and streets that serve as that background for his monologues. Just filler between relevant clips.

For a better film, watch A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, which I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread.

When does he bash American film? He spends a lot of time praising various American films and film makers.

And Mark Cousins has the most soothing voice imaginable, I can't imagine anyone finding it irritating.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I've heard that complaint a few times as well, it's bizarre. The Story of Film is unimaginably comprehensive and eye-opening, and does a really good job of actually demonstrating rather than just myth-making. It's an astounding work.

e: The "bashing" of American films: I think what's happening is that often the documentary makes clear that this a history of all film, not just Hollywood moneymakers. I was glad that it didn't focus solely on American films plus the obvious "foreign" classics. The marginalization of Hollywood might come off a bit harsh, I guess, but I'm not gonna feel sorry about that.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 18, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's film education. It's good stuff.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Rich Hall made a couple of documentaries about Hollywood for BBC. If you like Rich Hall they're pretty good.

Continental Drifters is about the american road movie.

How the West was Lost is about westerns and The Dirty South is about stereotypical Hollywood representation of the south. Inventing the Indian is about the portrayal of native americans.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got used to his voice fairly quickly once I realized his accent wasn't typical English and he was doing his best to enunciate so that he would be understood. And complaining about the beautiful static shots during narration makes me think that you don't really enjoy cinematography and shouldn't be watching in the first place. Or you just decided you didn't like the film and went on a hate rampage. ;)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

dog days are over posted:

I'm really interested in the history of spiritualism and cold reading and seances and the psychology behind them, but I can't really find any documentaries or lectures. Looking for documentaries about spiritualism just results in people that actually believe in it :(

Anyone got any?
Off the top of my head, I can recommend you this documentary on James Randi, a magician who made a career out of debunking spiritualists and psychics by showing that their mystical feats could be duplicated using stage magic techniques.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
The Story of Film would be much better if he decided not to add any of those interviews. They're more often than not just pointless curios that disrupt the flow of what otherwise is a perfectly moving, exciting, eye opening essay of one person's love and evangelicalism of movies (of which his voice plays a wonderful part). His A Story of Film and Children does this and is much better for it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any good documentaries on native Americans? I'm watching one on youtube (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dr_Qqja4RY) and I just need to know more about the people who used to live where my house now stands (:smith:).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Are there any good documentaries about gangsta rap?

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
For some reason Netflix suggested I watch Brother's Keeper after I watched a bunch of horror movies. It's about the investigation of a possible fratricide, but the context is so weird and sad. Four old men, all brothers, all low-IQ, living together in a shack and farming like it's 1820, and then one of them dies and exposes both their bizarre circumstances and the strange, resentful, loving relationship their town has with them. It's a little sweet, pretty sad, and kind of hard to watch at times (the courtroom footage :( ). Good watch.

And I finally watched Until the Light Takes Us. I'm kind of annoyed at it. There are some parts I liked a lot, but it feels like the filmmakers were too much in awe of, especially, Varg Vikernes, to really get in deep about the whys, so at the end it doesn't feel like the filmmakers had anything at all to say. It's really bizarre to me that they glossed over the politics in early Norwegian black metal, especially as they seemed to be pushing the nihilist angle.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any good documentaries on native Americans? I'm watching one on youtube (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dr_Qqja4RY) and I just need to know more about the people who used to live where my house now stands (:smith:).

Reel Injun is about Native American representation in cinema. Broken Rainbow, about the Navajo, mining, and government interference in the '70s, is really good but horribly depressing (and horribly infuriating).

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mentioned earlier (I believe), Rich Hall's Inventing the Indian is really good. It delves into how popular culture has changed how people understand natives of the Americas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lheXnx02JYE

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any good documentaries on native Americans? I'm watching one on youtube (this one:) and I just need to know more about the people who used to live where my house now stands (:smith:).

You Are on Indian Land. I just watched it recently. It's a 36-minute Canadian work from 1969 about a protest against forcing a sovereign Mohawk community pay duty for crossing an American/Canadian boundary on a bridge that they have never recognized, and the ensuing police confrontation. It was shot and chopped by First Nations peoples, who had been armed with cameras as part of a Canadian documentary initiative called Challenge for Change.

Also, Incident at Oglala is on Netflix. It's very good.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 22, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Late to the thread and haven't read it all but Peter Jackson did a movie about the West Memphis 3 case, first made famous by the 3 HBO Paradise Lost films, called West of Memphis.

Here's Paradise Lost 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NNdCP9z2cM

West of Memphis didn't too well at the box office but casts some pretty serious light on who committed the murders and how/why the West Memphis Three were let out of prison. It's the best of the four documentaries on the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_of_Memphis

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely

dog days are over posted:

If you happen to know any particularly good ones I'm all ears, all I seem to be able to find on this stuff is from the people that believe it

Look for stuff on the life of Houdini, since he spent a good portion of his life debunking it.

The books "Talking to the Dead" by Barbara Weisberg, and "Radical Spirits" by Ann Braude are okay, IIRC, though the last one is about the connection between the Spiritualists and early American feminism. The first female presidential candidate in the US, Victoria Woodhull, made quite a lot of money with her sister scamming rich dudes with seances.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Radical Spirits sounds...radical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

BiggerBoat posted:

Late to the thread and haven't read it all but Peter Jackson did a movie about the West Memphis 3 case, first made famous by the 3 HBO Paradise Lost films, called West of Memphis.

Here's Paradise Lost 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NNdCP9z2cM

West of Memphis didn't too well at the box office but casts some pretty serious light on who committed the murders and how/why the West Memphis Three were let out of prison. It's the best of the four documentaries on the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_of_Memphis

I watched this whole series from the first Paradise Lost, and I don't think I have ever watched a series that is as much of a roller coaster ride. There are like 2 or 3 suspects who they had me believing may have done it, only to later 'clear' them. West Of Memphis does make a good argument for a particular person, but short of a deathbed confession, I don't think we will ever really know who done it. It may be one of the lesser likely scenarios, but I've never been fully convinced that it wasn't just a random person who was driving through the area.