Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Edward IV posted:

I thought they turn on while you pulling the lever but not while the lever is locked. I can't check by myself right now until it gets dark.

Bah, who needs hand brake pads since I drive an automatic. :v:
Nope. You're the idiot we share the road with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

GramCracker posted:

So I guess this is one way to park?

What I don't get is that before he smashes the car it looks like he's fitting in there just fine. Wouldn't just keying the guys car be easier and not damage his truck?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The best part is, if you look at the time stamps, he spent half an hour trying to get it in there and apparently failing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

What I don't get is that before he smashes the car it looks like he's fitting in there just fine. Wouldn't just keying the guys car be easier and not damage his truck?

It's a wide angle lens so it might be a little deceiving. My parking garage can get kinda gnarly too but so far I haven't resorted to ramming any cars! I'm much fatter than that guy though and just squeeze through the door or something. Or I park next to the post in a with my fender right next to it so there's plenty of room on the other side.

edit: also what kind of car is getting smashed there?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

CharlesM posted:

edit: also what kind of car is getting smashed there?

Looks Lexusy to me.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Not defending this guy at all, but apparently it's assigned parking, and the neighbor with that car had just left for a week's vacation, and they had exchanged words about it before.

Is there a story about this online somewhere?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

GramCracker posted:

So I guess this is one way to park?

Source (Translated):

http://g1.globo.com/goias/noticia/2014/07/medico-acusa-vizinho-de-bater-em-carro-dentro-de-garagem-veja-video.html

quote:

To Marcal, there is no doubt about the authorship of the damage, even more so because this was the second time the same neighbor hit his car. He believes that the only explanation is because the car was on the track that divides the vacancies. "If my car was on the track or not, I think it was a matter of coming and talking. Winching the car up, since I was not here, but do not take that attitude, "he said.

Looks like he may have parked over his line, and that was enough for him to get his car rammed a second time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pretty much a classic Walter overreaction

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Got a fun one. On my way home from work I see this ratty, rusted out 90s Silverado going down the main drag of my town. One tail light smashed out, a large gouge caused by god knows what in the tire well of the rear passenger side, and pulling a homemade trailer that looked to be about one speed bump from falling apart. Oh, and the trailer had one tire with the tread half off flapping around making this hilarious slapping sound. I've seen worse around here, but not by much. I wonder what would happen if Florida ever mandated any kind of inspections.

*Edit: Forgot the second best part; those trailer tires were not horizontal to the road. They were cambered, although I can't imagine it was intentional.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 18, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Krakkles posted:

Nope. You're the idiot we share the road with.

Pretty much this. If you're just looking to send a message without actually slowing down give your brake pedal the lightest of taps, just enough to trigger the sensor on the pedal to actuate the brake lights without applying any actual force to the master cylinder.

Also if a dump truck is close enough to qualify for tailgating its probably following too closely for the driver to see your brake lights anyways. In that case I'd take advantage of my car's better power-to-weight ratio and run the gently caress away until you've established a healthy gap and/or can move over.

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm pretty sure someone could die if he did this on purpose. That's a pretty bullshit thing to do.

I'm not defending the guy at all, its a lovely thing to do, but who in their right mind would tailgate a dump truck in the first place? It has all the disadvantages of tailgating a car with even worse visibility and a good chance of paint and windshield chips. Even if its empty there's plenty of places for rocks and poo poo to fall out of.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Meat Mitts posted:

I'm not defending the guy at all, its a lovely thing to do, but who in their right mind would tailgate a dump truck in the first place? It has all the disadvantages of tailgating a car with even worse visibility and a good chance of paint and windshield chips. Even if its empty there's plenty of places for rocks and poo poo to fall out of.
Bricks wedged between the tyres on anything duallie can really ruin your day.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

Vehicle not responsible for objects thrown from road*.

*-"thrown from road" includes objects that fall off of vehicle

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

I got a drat 4 inch rock stuck between mine once and had to use a blacksmiths hammer (AKA BFH) to break the fucker into pieces to make it come out.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Geoj posted:

Vehicle not responsible for objects thrown from road*.

*-"thrown from road" includes objects that fall off of vehicle

I see something like this on every dump truck and I don't get it. So these guys can just get on the highway and drop poo poo everywhere and it's not their fault? It's not cool for a passenger car to have open unrestrained loads, why would it be for a huge truck?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hikaki posted:

I see something like this on every dump truck and I don't get it. So these guys can just get on the highway and drop poo poo everywhere and it's not their fault? It's not cool for a passenger car to have open unrestrained loads, why would it be for a huge truck?

Just because they slap a sticker on the back doesn't mean they're exempt from liability. If you can prove poo poo falling off their vehicle damaged your vehicle, they could very well be forced to pay for it. Basically get a dashcam and find an attorney if it happens.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hikaki posted:

Because people are dumb enough to believe the sign.

e:f,b

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Speaking of which, EVERYONE GET A DASH CAM. Mine saved my bacon once already. A woman backed into me at a car wash (she decided she didn't want to go or something), then claimed that I hit her. She started yelling about how a bumper is like $600 for her car but how she'll take $300 right now (car didn't even have damage), blah blah usual scam. I pointed out the camera behind my rearview mirror, and she just drove off. It was crazy bizarre.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Speaking of which, EVERYONE GET A DASH CAM. Mine saved my bacon once already. A woman backed into me at a car wash (she decided she didn't want to go or something), then claimed that I hit her. She started yelling about how a bumper is like $600 for her car but how she'll take $300 right now (car didn't even have damage), blah blah usual scam. I pointed out the camera behind my rearview mirror, and she just drove off. It was crazy bizarre.
Given it's fairly obvious she was trying the whole scam thing, you should REALLY report that to the police.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Unfortunately it was months ago when I first got the cam, and I was having a really busy day and (strangely enough for me) completely forgot about the incident until I got home from work that night. I had only put in a spare 2gb microSD card, so by the time I got home, the video was already overwritten so I couldn't pull a license plate.

Since then I have put in a 32 GB card and haven't had anything else crazy happen, but even that one incident made the dashcam pay for itself multiple times over. $80 (camera plus microSD card) versus hundreds of dollars, or getting beaten up by "her friends" that I'm sure she had waiting in the wings to force me to pay whatever I had.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Holy poo poo, I just saw some retard reversing down I-80 in +75 mph traffic. I didn't want to believe that people are that stupid

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

So it's basically this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6GIpdSs7Y

only she didn't have her brake lights wired into a switch to shut em off.

If anybody was wondering what came of this, the guy in the acura was charged with fraud over $5,000, attempted fraud and public mischief.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Geoj posted:

Pretty much this. If you're just looking to send a message without actually slowing down give your brake pedal the lightest of taps, just enough to trigger the sensor on the pedal to actuate the brake lights without applying any actual force to the master cylinder.

Also if a dump truck is close enough to qualify for tailgating its probably following too closely for the driver to see your brake lights anyways. In that case I'd take advantage of my car's better power-to-weight ratio and run the gently caress away until you've established a healthy gap and/or can move over.

So it looks like I am an idiot you all share on the road. As it turns out, the hand brake doesn't actuate the tail lights so I was wearing out the hand brake pads for nothing. Well, at least I don't have to break in the pads this month. And besides, this is New Jersey where everyone is a bad driver. :v:

As for outrunning the dump truck, I suppose I could have but I was already going near 80 mph in a 65 zone and a double fine corridor. While my Impreza isn't completely gutless, I don't have the confidence to take it beyond 80.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Edward IV posted:

While my Impreza isn't completely gutless, I don't have the confidence to take it beyond 80.

I take my 18 year old 4 banger Honda up to 90+ on the highway pretty often. It doesn't give a poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edward IV posted:

So it looks like I am an idiot you all share on the road. As it turns out, the hand brake doesn't actuate the tail lights so I was wearing out the hand brake pads for nothing. Well, at least I don't have to break in the pads this month. And besides, this is New Jersey where everyone is a bad driver. :v:

As for outrunning the dump truck, I suppose I could have but I was already going near 80 mph in a 65 zone and a double fine corridor. While my Impreza isn't completely gutless, I don't have the confidence to take it beyond 80.

Do all Imprezas with CVTs immediately jam to 6000 RPM on the tachometer when going over a slight hill while on cruise control or is that just the rental I had

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Do all Imprezas with CVTs immediately jam to 6000 RPM on the tachometer when going over a slight hill while on cruise control or is that just the rental I had

I don't have cruise control. I was too cheap for that. :shobon:

Still, I have very rarely had the engine go beyond 4000 RPM unless I'm really gunning it like trying to out run a dump truck going over 80 mph right after getting onto a highway. When cresting hills and not giving it gas, the engine will usually go no higher than 3000 RPM even when I set it to the low setting. I have no idea how the cruise control works in an Impreza but it sounds like the throttle stayed open, as if it were still climbing the hill, after you crested the hill and caused the ECU to think you wanted to go a lot faster.

The worst thing I can say about Subaru CVTs are that they are slow to respond particularly since the accelerator pedal is completely electronic. Want to go faster? Push the throttle in, wait a second or two, then get power. Even the manual shifting mode takes about the same amount of time for it to settle into the new ratio. Apparently, the high torque version in the new WRX and Forrester XT is more responsive but I haven't test driven one yet to see if they really are. In any case, my next car will most likely be a manual.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I'm the green dot. My light was red, and I was waiting for an opening to make a right. A car was in the outer left-turn lane (indicated by the first yellow dot,) and the fucker pulls out of the lane and stops at the spot indicated by the second yellow dot, completely blocking my view. Then he continues to make a right turn from where he was and took what was supposed to be my turn. :wtf:

Oh yeah, and yesterday I was crusin' down a road, and this guy pulls out of an intersection ahead of me and into my lane at a snail's pace. I didn't have to slam my brakes, but I had to brake pretty hard and decelerated from ~55 mph to 15. The fucker didn't look to his left at all, and he didn't even have the decency to at least peel out and accelerate hard (despite me honking up a storm behind his rear end.) The guy just continued at his slow pace. :bang:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Today in "flyover state or Florida?":
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/19/driver-says-god-told-her-ill-take-it-from-here-so-she-let-go-of-wheel-and-ran-over-motorcyclist/
http://www.inquisitr.com/1365065/woman-lets-god-drive-car-anthony-oliveri/
http://wane.com/2014/07/18/motorcyclist-i-said-to-myself-today-is-the-day-i-die/

Idiot in van claims god told her to let go of the wheel, runs over motorcyclist. Motorcyclist states he believes divine intervention is the only reason he's still alive. This all happened in the town Rhyno lives in.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Please tell me that when that woman gets out of prison she's never allowed a license again.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The only question is, was she listening to Jesus Take the Wheel at the time?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The only question is, was she listening to Jesus Take the Wheel at the time?

Nah, God is her co-pilot

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

revmoo posted:

Please tell me that when that woman gets out of prison she's never allowed a license again.

She's out on bail. :v:

The "god told me to do it" line sounds like bullshit, either she was loving around with a phone or stoned out of her mind (one of the articles mentions a Vicodin prescription). The god excuse comes off like a weak as poo poo attempt to avoid blame for something she's clearly guilty of.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Nah she'd probably have been able to get off with community service or less if she just stated that she 'lost control' or didn't see the guy. Since she stated that she in fact did see the guy and willfully stopped controlling the vehicle it becomes murder/criminal negligence/whatever.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Since you guys hate bikes so much I thought you'd like this:

(jk, these really are people you share the road with tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjtv6PCSVQ

This is the newest and longest one, there's probably another 3 hours or so if you look up No Prisoners 2012 and 2013 part 1 n 2.

Edit: Also people die and they don't really separate those ones from the others so avoid if that bothers you

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Lots of Final Destination type poo poo in there. The one guy creeping across a set of train tracks and getting smeared by a train that was probably doing 60mph with no warning lights/barriers was pretty surprising.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EightBit posted:

Lots of Final Destination type poo poo in there. The one guy creeping across a set of train tracks and getting smeared by a train that was probably doing 60mph with no warning lights/barriers was pretty surprising.

The lights are clearly flashing in that clip. 99% of those accidents are either riders not paying attention or riders going way too fast.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fMHUdsICT8

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

nsaP posted:

Since you guys hate bikes so much I thought you'd like this:

(jk, these really are people you share the road with tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjtv6PCSVQ

This is the newest and longest one, there's probably another 3 hours or so if you look up No Prisoners 2012 and 2013 part 1 n 2.

Edit: Also people die and they don't really separate those ones from the others so avoid if that bothers you

Is it wrong that I laughed way too hard at the bike stuck up in the telephone pole at the 25 minute mark?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The lights are clearly flashing in that clip. 99% of those accidents are either riders not paying attention or riders going way too fast.

They really are. The other few are newbie mistakes, people pulling out in front of them, and just general accidents. By far tho I'd say "riding way the gently caress too fast for traffic/conditions" is the main cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Too fast, and lots of target fixation.