Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mcvey posted:

Does anyone remember if/when guns on the ground persisted from round to round? I swear that was a thing in early CS but it sounds so stupid. I remember 'gun running' weapons back to spawns but I might be mistaken.

Yep it was a thing right until beta 4/5. They finally removed it after gun running became popular.

At one point you also dropped your cash on the ground. It looked like a grey satchel just lying on top of your corpse. I believe that was also before the player models got their first pass -- for a while, the only noticeable difference between Ts and CTs was that the T models had their sleeves rolled up. Other glorious things from the early beta days include: a scope on the Colt M4A1, rampant bunny hopping, and a radio command that simply said "requesting a shipment of raw meat".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Well that was a pretty weird game of Nuke.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

At what rank will you stop getting blocked by teammates?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Do reports for abusive voice chat and text really work? A guy was being really obnoxious on the enemy team.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Do reports for abusive voice chat and text really work? A guy was being really obnoxious on the enemy team.

did you fill out the hurt feelings report? :D

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I could have muted him but I felt like trolling back and seeing if I could get him overwatch banned or something.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

VelociBacon posted:

At what rank will you stop getting blocked by teammates?

Never.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When you guys are feeling like you're really on your game and want to play competitive do you usually play the map you're most comfortable on? I find myself just playing Dust2 in competitive because I know all the angles there.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I just queue up for Nuke over and over until I'm forced to call the suicide prevention hotline.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I just queue up for Nuke over and over because it's my favorite map.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Xenaero posted:

I just queue up for Nuke over and over until I'm forced to call the suicide prevention hotline.

Nuke owns and people just need to realise that taking A is easy

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

kcer posted:

Nuke owns and people just need to realise that taking A is easy

Yeah, it's pretty drat easy in matchmaking as teams tend to overstack ramp and outside a lot - usually there's just one guy in A and that's easy enough to take care of with some smokes and flashes. T's generally just don't have balls to do attack A.

Smol fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 18, 2014

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
How important is a good mouse for CS:GO? Like im using a wireless logitech with laser tracking... originally bought 2 years ago for its "long lasting" battery life. And it's true, the batteries last fuckin long... but its kinda poo poo at gaming due to its offset laser tracker.

Anyways, I wanna know if good mouse is worth it for CS:GO or does it not matter what mouse I use?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

8bitlawd posted:

How important is a good mouse for CS:GO? Like im using a wireless logitech with laser tracking... originally bought 2 years ago for its "long lasting" battery life. And it's true, the batteries last fuckin long... but its kinda poo poo at gaming due to its offset laser tracker.

Anyways, I wanna know if good mouse is worth it for CS:GO or does it not matter what mouse I use?

It just needs to be predictable to you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

When you guys are feeling like you're really on your game and want to play competitive do you usually play the map you're most comfortable on? I find myself just playing Dust2 in competitive because I know all the angles there.

Mirage, I don't I've ever had a game on that map where I started CT and didn't win. I've gotten camping A down to a science.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

8bitlawd posted:

If you feel comfortable using your current mouse, just use your current mouse. If not, maybe look at getting a new one.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Apogee15 posted:

I'm enjoying the missions. Except when it made me win on rush. Stupid rush...

I seriously ranked down 4 times trying to win on Black Gold. Extremely frustrating for a sand dune scout. But then the ensuing pillaging of idiots to rank back up was pretty satisfying.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

real dilemma posted:

I seriously ranked down 4 times trying to win on Black Gold. Extremely frustrating for a sand dune scout. But then the ensuing pillaging of idiots to rank back up was pretty satisfying.

I got the same terrible autosniper skin twice in a row. I'm just doing the missions to level up my challenge coin at this point.

Also, plaid/leather guns own.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Gearman posted:

Yep it was a thing right until beta 4/5. They finally removed it after gun running became popular.

At one point you also dropped your cash on the ground. It looked like a grey satchel just lying on top of your corpse. I believe that was also before the player models got their first pass -- for a while, the only noticeable difference between Ts and CTs was that the T models had their sleeves rolled up. Other glorious things from the early beta days include: a scope on the Colt M4A1, rampant bunny hopping, and a radio command that simply said "requesting a shipment of raw meat".

I'm pretty sure I remember the M4 having a scope at one point too.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I have a buddy I played a lot with years ago who now refuses to EVER play anything other than d2 because it's the only map he still finds enjoyable. So I've ranked up to eagle from playing d2 so much but if I go to play another completely standard map like inferno or nuke every so often I get the "YOU'RE AN EAGLE?!?" at the end of the match.

Also to contribute to the beta chat, I definitely remember gun-running back to spawn on cs_docks. And hiding behind the hostage at the end of the sewers. And swimming to that area of the map that was completely useless that nobody ever went to.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Anyone still remember es_jail and es_frantic? That poo poo was rad :allears:

Smol fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 18, 2014

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I miss the secret area in mill.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
cs_seige was the best hostage map. The tank and the elevator owned.

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

I recently returned to CS and am very disappointed in the lack of de_jeepathon2k.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

bring back func_vehicle

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

hello internet posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember the M4 having a scope at one point too.

It had a scope that was not useable haha. I used that skin as my Sig for a while.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mimetic posted:

I got the same terrible autosniper skin twice in a row. I'm just doing the missions to level up my challenge coin at this point.

Also, plaid/leather guns own.

You like leather guns?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=287122369
Have some 'leather'...

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I miss Seige not for the elevator - though it was awesome - but for the old APC. The later versions that removed it killed some precious part of the map forever.
Especially when the entire team was convinced to hop in the back.. at which point the APC would be promptly backed into the nearest wall.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 18, 2014

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

8bitlawd posted:

A good mouse is pretty important. Wireless mice usually have a delay which sucks to play around. Also need a pretty high malfunction speed if you're using any reasonable sensitivity.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I found switching from laser to optical very helpful.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Just Get A Deathadder

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Smol posted:

Yeah, it's pretty drat easy in matchmaking as teams tend to overstack ramp and outside a lot - usually there's just one guy in A and that's easy enough to take care of with some smokes and flashes. T's generally just don't have balls to do attack A.

Outside you don't have to tightly coordinate flashes and you don't need to learn smokes ahead of time.

To go A, there aren't really very many flashes or smokes that are good that don't need to be learned ahead of time, offline. And many of them are are hard enough that alot of people screw them up.

On top of that, you have to coordinate timing, especially if you are throwing them through the skylights.

That's why people go outside. :)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

40 OZ posted:

Outside you don't have to tightly coordinate flashes and you don't need to learn smokes ahead of time.

To go A, there aren't really very many flashes or smokes that are good that don't need to be learned ahead of time, offline. And many of them are are hard enough that alot of people screw them up.

On top of that, you have to coordinate timing, especially if you are throwing them through the skylights.

That's why people go outside. :)

I'm not really talking about anything super complex - one guy nades the squeaky door, smokes main and throws a few flashes while a second guy throws a few pop flashes from hut. The hardest part about that is to learn the hut smoke/flash angles, but those can be learned in a few minutes offline.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Smol posted:

I'm not really talking about anything super complex

Compared to outside, it is.

quote:

The hardest part about that is to learn the hut smoke/flash angles, but those can be learned in a few minutes offline.

Yeah, that part.

That might be trivial to you, but most players aren't gonna do that.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I like nuke a lot(in my top 5 maps list for sure), and I've never taken the time to learn the flashes out hut. I usually just hope that someone else will do it. I mean, I know where people throw them but I haven't practiced it at all so I can't easily throw it in the right spot on the go.

I still like going inside though.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
What do you do when you're running and strafing and want to stop to shoot? Do you tap S and the opposite strafe, or just crouch or what? I can't get used to S + opposite strafe and always shoot before I fully stop.

edit:\/\/ thanks. any non-cunts want to chip in?

bpower fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 18, 2014

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

bpower posted:

What do you do when you're running and strafing and want to stop to shoot? Do you tap S and the opposite strafe, or just crouch or what? I can't get used to S + opposite strafe and always shoot before I fully stop.

You stop your movement, and you shoot.

bad frog
Dec 21, 2003

listen up

bpower posted:

He's right though. There's no fancy way to stop moving. You stop moving, and shoot your gun. Then move again, stop and shoot. Unless you're using SMGs or pistols, then who gives a gently caress. Crouch if you feel like getting shot in the face.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

bpower posted:

BRAWWWWW is right. You need to time it out correctly so you stop, shoot, then quickly stutterstep again. That is it has always been done. Crouch is a viable option but it's not as good as the former since you're a stationary target.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Turk February posted:

BRAWWWWW is right. You need to time it out correctly so you stop, shoot, then quickly stutterstep again. That is it has always been done. Crouch is a viable option but it's not as good as the former since you're a stationary target.

Fair enough. So you don't hit back+opposite straf, you just release the movement keys, wait to stop and shoot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
You will stop faster if you hit the opposing movement key. Try to only use A and D, don't move forward and backwards when trying to stutterstep. Only do it side to side.

Really it's more about timing your shots as you change which direction you are moving than about moving correctly. At least, that's what I mess up on the most.

• Locked thread