Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I find it odd what Netflix chooses to email about. It makes sense that they'd shill their own productions, but I don't understand why they'd brag about having that Sandler/Samberg move from a few years ago.

I imagine it's a companywide Reed Hastings memo that spurs them into weird little asides like that.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

That's a really good sketch and an excellent article, which reminded me of this great dope Mr. Show sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cyJNOH8kX8

Ooh, girl, ooh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://medium.com/race-class/daquan-is-a-white-girl-9ba9de9fba95

The YTOTD is the first Youtube embedded in this article, one of the funniest sketches I ever did see.

This has a killer pacing to it, which is usually what separates good sketches from great ones.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Richard Pryor Show is an extremely admirable failure.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

DetoxP posted:

Did we all watch Manhunter at the same time because I just happened to watch it two days ago for the first time and now everyone is talking about it.

Also I see now that the Will Graham in Hannibal (TV) is exactly the same as the Will Graham in Manhunter.

I also liked seeing a version of Hannibal I've ever seen before. The Manhunter one is a very white-collar-banality-of-evil kind of guy, whereas Hopkins' Hannibal is straight-up Boogeyman. Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal is still the only one I can actually see as a psychiatrist though.

I just finished binging season 2 of Hannibal and saw they added it, so I had to check it out.
The soundtrack is just so crazy good. It sets the mood of the film perfectly, along with the colors.

I really enjoyed the Hannibal's performance as "totally smart everyday-sounding guy but you can tell is hosed up." The scene with the telephone in particular, how nonchalantly he has the phone conversation, and the small smile when they give him Will's address.

But yeah, this Will and Hannibal's a Will are ABSOLUTELY the same. I especially liked how angry he got as he slowly unravelled how the Tooth Fairy did what he did.

Also seeing young, ginger Stephen Lang was pretty great.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah I really liked Manhunter, it seemed really intimate. It also has this strong 80's vibe to it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I imagine it's a companywide Reed Hastings memo that spurs them into weird little asides like that.

Ooh, girl, ooh!

drat.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was in a thrift store today and they had a bunch of TVs connected to a VCR, I couldn't just ignore this. I went to the area with the tapes looking for the best replacement for the movie they had playing.

I found Commando. I left Commando playing on six TVs at once. It was really busy in there too.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I was in a thrift store today and they had a bunch of TVs connected to a VCR, I couldn't just ignore this. I went to the area with the tapes looking for the best replacement for the movie they had playing.

I found Commando. I left Commando playing on six TVs at once. It was really busy in there too.

"Leave anything for us?"
"Just shorts."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

My mom gets really into movies. She gasps loudly every time anything shocking or violent happens and calls the bad guys bastards whenever they do something evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fslVUNDCJIU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Remember, Vargo, when I promised to wear the shorts?"
"That's right! You did, you did!"

"I lied."

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOimTfNR110

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

same

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FreudianSlippers posted:

My mom gets really into movies. She gasps loudly every time anything shocking or violent happens and calls the bad guys bastards whenever they do something evil.
My mom is the same way, but she will actively stop watching the movie the instant it becomes too offensive to her, and she has strange standards for what's offensive. For example, watching Passion of the Christ and seeing that rear end in a top hat get whipped and beaten mercilessly until he's within an inch of his life? Totally cool. The movie version of Under The Tuscan Sun (one of her favorite books) in which there was a lesbian? Nope, that's crossing the line. She left the theater the moment she found out there was a lesbian in her book's movie.

She doesn't watch any other sort of violent movie, though, unless the violence is being inflicted upon Jesus, because somehow that makes it a critical watch for her.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

My mom is the same way, but she will actively stop watching the movie the instant it becomes too offensive to her, and she has strange standards for what's offensive. For example, watching Passion of the Christ and seeing that rear end in a top hat get whipped and beaten mercilessly until he's within an inch of his life? Totally cool. The movie version of Under The Tuscan Sun (one of her favorite books) in which there was a lesbian? Nope, that's crossing the line. She left the theater the moment she found out there was a lesbian in her book's movie.

She doesn't watch any other sort of violent movie, though, unless the violence is being inflicted upon Jesus, because somehow that makes it a critical watch for her.

This is pretty much my mom, and she decided she wanted to go see Black Swan with me and my sister in theaters.
She's gotten less offended by stuff at least. She sent me a text message the other day about how much she loved Nebraska and wants me to see it, so that's pretty cool I guess.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

My mom is really into pre-Code movies and my dad is really into 1950s sci-fi, so I happened.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rooney McNibnug posted:

This is pretty much my mom, and she decided she wanted to go see Black Swan with me and my sister in theaters.
She's gotten less offended by stuff at least. She sent me a text message the other day about how much she loved Nebraska and wants me to see it, so that's pretty cool I guess.
Oh dear god, I can only imagine how awkward seeing Black Swan with her was.

I'm pretty sure both my parents would enjoy Nebraska, if I could get them to watch it. I'll recommend stuff to both my parents that is totally up their alley (not too offensive or anything) and it'll be at least a year before they see it, if they even see it at all.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
If we're talking Manhunter, then bump my thread you bastards. :mad:

So I've had this board game idea bouncing around in my head forever: a 30s-Chicago gangster sim. Think Risk/Civilization with hooch and Tommy guns. Can anyone recommend me some good movies for research? Just so you don't think I'm asking for every noir movie ever, I'm most interested in the fashion, the aesthetics (e.g. cars, buildings, the 'L'), the districts, and the inner workings of organized crime in Chicago around the time (stuff like numbers, protection, prostitution, etc.). I've never been to Chicago, which complicates things a bit. I already plan to harvest Dick Tracy, The Sting, Scarface, and COPS (and maybe the Untouchables, but as much as I like De Palma, I remember it feeling a little bland for what I'm looking for), but I wanted to really get a good, diverse mood board going here.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

CloseFriend posted:

If we're talking Manhunter, then bump my thread you bastards. :mad:

So I've had this board game idea bouncing around in my head forever: a 30s-Chicago gangster sim. Think Risk/Civilization with hooch and Tommy guns. Can anyone recommend me some good movies for research? Just so you don't think I'm asking for every noir movie ever, I'm most interested in the fashion, the aesthetics (e.g. cars, buildings, the 'L'), the districts, and the inner workings of organized crime in Chicago around the time (stuff like numbers, protection, prostitution, etc.). I've never been to Chicago, which complicates things a bit. I already plan to harvest Dick Tracy, The Sting, Scarface, and COPS (and maybe the Untouchables, but as much as I like De Palma, I remember it feeling a little bland for what I'm looking for), but I wanted to really get a good, diverse mood board going here.

Sorry :(

Check out Little Caesar, though.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 18, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

FUCKASS COCKFUCK SHITMOTHER :argh:

At least I hadn't really worked on it yet, and it wasn't my only idea. :unsmith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

CloseFriend posted:

So I've had this board game idea bouncing around in my head forever: a 30s-Chicago gangster sim. Think Risk/Civilization with hooch and Tommy guns.

Have you played Gangster or Family Business before?

You even play Gangster right on a map of 1930s Chicago:

Both games could definitely use some improvement, so I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pa...eview:1:Default

:stare:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yikes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

So is that better or worse than the Quvenzhané Wallis one?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The joke is much more immediate in this one, so better.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

:drat:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

InfiniteZero posted:

Have you played Gangster or Family Business before?

You even play Gangster right on a map of 1930s Chicago:

Both games could definitely use some improvement, so I'm curious to see what you come up with.
Those both look like they're worth checking out. I think I'll add both to my wishlist. Generally, I like the combat aspect the best, so I was planning to hit that hardest. Both these games look like they only really handle combat at the macro level, so it looks like I might have a reason to keep moving forward with my idea…

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
So I just watched Evil Dead 2 for the first time today.

Can you fall in love with a movie? Because I think I just did :allears:.
I'll probably watch it again tonight with the commentary track.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Popelmon posted:

If that movie's Evil Dead 2 then you most definitely can.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Has anyone seen Wish I Was Here? I liked Garden State enough when I it came out, but the critical response has made me hesitant to go see it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Unfortunately that movie's tainted from the Kickstarter drama and everyone who loved Garden State 10 years ago pretending they always hated it, so it will never have square reviews. It's the opposite problem of the Robert Ebert film, which gets glowing reviews far above what the film should be netting simply because of who it is about.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Popelmon posted:

The commentary track for Evil Dead 2 is absolutely amazing, so this is the smart move.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Evil Dead 2 is very easily my favorite movie. The rest of the top ten gets reshuffled from time to time, but the top spot never budges.

quote:

Very smart move.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think the movie is being hurt by the fact that Zach Braff is extremely unlikable actor who's an annoying smug douchebag. He kind of looks like a fart took human form.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I like a lot of the movies that inspired the Evil Dead series, but those films just leave me totally cold.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

I like a lot of the movies that inspired the Evil Dead series, but those films just leave me totally cold.

Why do you hate fun?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

★★★★✩, would see again.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rooney McNibnug posted:

★★★★✩, would see again.

Semi-related: I read this article about "knotting" today and out-of-context fan fiction smut is still the best:

quote:

Sherlock pauses. "The case. I need data. You have it. I need to smell your gland, and see it, too, if I can." He says this like it's the most obvious fact in the whole world.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Evil Dead is one of the best horror movies of all time. Evil Dead II Dead By Dawn is also quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I'm a huge piece of poo poo who likes Army of Darkness more than Evil Dead 1 & 2.

• Locked thread