Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

An administration that's actively hostile to Israel.

Those pesky Jews won't see it coming now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Do hot Palestinian chicks exist?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
~sighs, takes deep breath~

Again, the money is mandated by Congress, not this administration, mirroring the money we give to Egypt et al (with which they buy American weapons) despite their little transgressions. This adminstration has pulled shenanigans to keep funding the Pallys, who don't build roads, don't build schools, don't build bomb shelters, but have an impressively intricate infrastructure of underground missile storage and transport, despite hooks put by Congress in the funding that should've shut it off the day Abbas openly allied with Hamas.

Oh, and that fountain of vetos mysteriously dried up. Y'all stubbornly keep pulling either Congressional actions or old history up to defend the current executive.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd be fine with cutting off the aid to Israel entirely, but that money is tied to the Egyptian money and if you drop the aid to Egypt they'll sure as poo poo slam the door on Suez.

E: I mean c'mon this administration decided instead of some of that cash we'd send Israel a bunch of F-35s, tell me that's not hostile

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 19, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Do hot Palestinian chicks exist?

They can be if you find some that aren't wearing a hijab, we have a decent amount of them here in Tampa. Some of them here still wear it but plenty of them don't, and I've never seen a fat Palestinian so they at least have that going for them.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

go3 posted:

Lets not pretend this White House has ever had any pull with the Senate

:crossarms:

Snowdens Secret posted:

~sighs, takes deep breath~

Again, the money is mandated by Congress, not this administration, mirroring the money we give to Egypt et al (with which they buy American weapons) despite their little transgressions. This adminstration has pulled shenanigans to keep funding the Pallys, who don't build roads, don't build schools, don't build bomb shelters, but have an impressively intricate infrastructure of underground missile storage and transport, despite hooks put by Congress in the funding that should've shut it off the day Abbas openly allied with Hamas.

Oh, and that fountain of vetos mysteriously dried up. Y'all stubbornly keep pulling either Congressional actions or old history up to defend the current executive.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd be fine with cutting off the aid to Israel entirely, but that money is tied to the Egyptian money and if you drop the aid to Egypt they'll sure as poo poo slam the door on Suez.

E: I mean c'mon this administration decided instead of some of that cash we'd send Israel a bunch of F-35s, tell me that's not hostile

Trap sprung. It is way too easy to get you in a tizzy over your adopted motherland.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 19, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

go3 posted:

Lets not pretend this White House has ever had any pull with the Senate

The Senate controlled by Democrats?

:what:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mortabis posted:

None of those senators are part of the administration.
As a libertarian idiot who couldn't hack it in ROTC would you say you're actively hostile towards common sense and growing a pair?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mortabis posted:

None of those senators are part of the administration.

:downsbravo:

How could I have missed this?

Shut up and color at the kiddie table. Adults are talking.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They found a survivor. :ohdear:

Unlike Pilot Parker, this one only had the stuffing knocked out of him a bit.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So... http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/18/4243140_islamic-state-overwhelms-iraqi.html

quote:

IRBIL, Iraq -- Islamic State gunmen overran a former U.S. military base early Friday and killed or captured hundreds of Iraqi government troops who’d been trying to retake Saddam Hussein’s hometown of Tikrit, the worst military reversal Iraqi troops have suffered since the Islamist forces captured nearly half the country last month.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I was thinking it was going to be FOB Danger as I cliked on it, but nope they got Speicher.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

God damnit Iraq. I know we spent more time keeping your troops from killing us in our sleep than actually training you, but at least put up a tiny fight. It is embarrassing that any military force is getting their rear end kicked so hard by a real life Cobra Command.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Trap sprung. It is way too easy to get you in a tizzy over your adopted motherland.

This is my favorite thing about hardcore Israel fans, because they want to claim the identity of Israel without actually having to live there.

Anyway, as expected, Merkel is going to bat for Pootykins:

quote:

German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday pressed Russia to work harder toward a political solution in Ukraine. But she also drew a line between the Russians and the separatists, saying that “the Russian president of course has an influence,” but “still one has to differentiate between the separatists and the Russian government.”

psydude fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 19, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The weirdest are Americans that react to any criticism of Israel as if you had just taken a giant steaming dump on America itself.

This is a country that depends on the US but has been selling sensitive military technology to China since at least the 80's and has been told to knock it off multiple times, yet continues to do so anyway when it can.

But they're our friends! :downs:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The Senate controlled by Democrats?

:what:

Between Harry Reid's incompetence and Obama coming into the White House as a 1 term Senator I'm really wondering just what sort of clout he was supposed to have in Congress.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/19/world/europe/rebels-in-ukraine-crowed-of-past-attacks-but-deny-this-one.html

Oh wait THAT plane? Wasn't us. Seriously.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

psydude posted:

This is my favorite thing about hardcore Israel fans, because they want to claim the identity of Israel without actually having to live there.

They got nothing on vaguely Irish people in America. Nothing.

800 years!

Doing this poo poo before it was cool. And I know what you're thinking, oh, Israel wasn't a real modern country until like yesterday. We'll guess who else wasn't. That's right. It's Ireland.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
The funny thing is that like half of Israel's Jewish population is Russian immigrants who got in on the "had a Jewish grandma" rule, so the whole country is filled with Slavs pretending to be Jews pretending to be white.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I don't understand why anyone would brag about being irish

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's an excuse to drink and act like an rear end in a top hat. What's not to love?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Godholio posted:

It's an excuse to drink and act like an rear end in a top hat. What's not to love?

so is being white, american

whip the only way to end the i/p gayness is to gas the jews. probably the mudmen too

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Americans can't hold their booze compared to half the world. That's an excuse to be a fat rear end in a top hat, not a drunk rear end in a top hat.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

Anyway, as expected, Merkel is going to bat for Pootykins:

Just some political rebels guys. You can't hold Russia responsible for something a random, uncoordinated group of political rebels did. What's that you say? They shot down a plane that was so many miles in altitude it was almost out of range of surface to air anti-air missiles? Just some random, uncoordinated rebels. Probably did it with an AK or something.

How the gently caress does someone say that poo poo with a straight face? Solve the global energy problem by hooking a dynamo to this chuckle-fucks spin machine, as long as it doesn't destabilize the orbit of the entire planet.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SumYungGui posted:

Just some political rebels guys. You can't hold Russia responsible for something a random, uncoordinated group of political rebels did. What's that you say? They shot down a plane that was so many miles in altitude it was almost out of range of surface to air anti-air missiles? Just some random, uncoordinated rebels. Probably did it with an AK or something.

How the gently caress does someone say that poo poo with a straight face? Solve the global energy problem by hooking a dynamo to this chuckle-fucks spin machine, as long as it doesn't destabilize the orbit of the entire planet.

i wasnt aware 30k feet was some kind of ~~ insane height ~~ considering specifically russian anti-air missiles were able to shoot down U2s in the 60's.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Larry Parrish posted:

i wasnt aware 30k feet was some kind of ~~ insane height ~~ considering specifically russian anti-air missiles were able to shoot down U2s in the 60's.

It's not necessarily insane, but it's out of the reach of anything outside the equipment of a regular army with training and practice. Which means either the guy that pulled the trigger was Russian, or he had a Russian "advisor" looking over his shoulder. This isn't some tribesmen with a Stinger we're talking about.

Russian stuff that could shoot down U-2s was pretty cutting edge at the time.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
And I thought they only got one, Gary Powers.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

:stare:

Alright, next occupation lets not even bother with training the locals and just tell them to use one of the pallets of cash they get to hire some Gurkhas or whatever.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mustang posted:

Of course they aren't but that doesn't change the fact that many Germans sympathized with Russian actions against Ukraine, even the annexation of Crimea. Germany has more Russian apologists than any other Western country.

the gently caress are you getting your surveys from?

gleep gloop posted:

Why again did Germany shut down it's reactors? Oh hey lets completely gently caress over our energy on some retarded principled stand.

Late to the party, but Fukushima happened, dumb people went "ATOMZ", dumb politicians went "welp, let's appease them dumbs that vote", followed by lots of attaboys, congratulations and mission accomplished all around.

lovely reactors next door are still chill, though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Freelance journalist gets access to the crash site. "I noticed that I hadn't come across a single wallet with money, or a mobile phone or a camera. They've all mysteriously gone missing."

If we could just get a move on with bathing that whole region in nuclear fire that'd be grand.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Full Battle Rattle posted:

And I thought they only got one, Gary Powers.

In Russia, yes. Several other U2's were shot down using Russian missiles in other countries. One in Cuba during the missile crisis, and at least 5 operated by Taiwan over China.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Larry Parrish posted:

33000 feet is nothing for a SAM designed to shoot down military aircraft.

It is way out of reach for glorified bottle rockets like shoulder fired missles and RPGs

The Stinger fact sheet:
Type: Short range air-defense missile
Entered Army service: 1981
Propulsion: Dual thrust solid fuel rocket motor
Length: 5 feet (1.5 meters)
Width: 5.5 inches (13.96 centimeters)
Weight: 12.5 pounds (5.68 kilograms)
Weight fully armed: 34.5 pounds (15.66 kg)
Range: 1 to 8 kilometers
Ceiling 10,000 feet (3.046 kilometers)

Speed: Supersonic in flight
Crew: 2 enlisted
Guidance system: Fire-and-forget passive infrared seeker
Warheads: High explosive
Rate of fire: 1 missile every 3 to 7 seconds
Sensors: Passive infrared
Unit Replacement Cost $38,000
Inventory: About 13,400 missiles available in the Army and Marine Corps

That bold part, specifically the ceiling, is what matters.

The SA-7 as best as I could find looks like it has a ceiling of around 12000 feet. So even if it was one of Russia's finest in hand carried air defense, it still wasn't going to wreck Malaysian Air's stock prices.

They needed the big toys to bring down that jet liner. Which means either a former BUK team got out of either the Russian or Ukrainian military and joined the separatist movement or the Russians fired that poo poo for them.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

the gently caress are you getting your surveys from?

Late to the party, but Fukushima happened, dumb people went "ATOMZ", dumb politicians went "welp, let's appease them dumbs that vote", followed by lots of attaboys, congratulations and mission accomplished all around.

lovely reactors next door are still chill, though.

From Spiegel, which has all kinds of articles written on the subject. That page in particular has a survey where 55% of Germans polled were sympathetic to Russia seeing Ukraine as part of its "sphere of influence." 54% thought that the EU and US should accept the annexation of Crimea.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Genocide Tendency posted:

They needed the big toys to bring down that jet liner. Which means either a former BUK team got out of either the Russian or Ukrainian military and joined the separatist movement or the Russians fired that poo poo for them.

Is there any reason we're not just assuming half the separatists are actually Russian military?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Godholio posted:

Is there any reason we're not just assuming half the separatists are actually Russian military?

Well I try to side step that around most people because the first time I brought up that theory, I got called a tin foil hat/infowars fan. Wasn't on SA but I can't imagine it would be received any better..

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't think there's any reason to believe otherwise. I mean, they're slightly more covert than they were in Crimea, but they are still certainly either directly Russian military or highly trained by them.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think there's any reason to believe otherwise. I mean, they're slightly more covert than they were in Crimea, but they are still certainly either directly Russian military or highly trained by them.

They are?

Because every shot I've seen looks like casual Friday during a Russian training exercise.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well, they aren't just straight up wearing uniforms with the flags pulled off the shoulder, or at least weren't last I looked.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

They are?

Because every shot I've seen looks like casual Friday during a Russian training exercise.

Yeah it's pretty night and day from Crimea. The separatists look like a mix of schlubs and cossack thugs (but I repeat myself). Compare the dudes standing around the wreckage, or pretty much any other picture from Eastern Ukraine with out of shape schlubs in mismatched uniforms looking like idiots, with the very locked on dudes who stormed airbases in Crimea. There are no doubt Spetsnaz dudes running around behind the scenes and probably "advisers" manning certain pieces of equipment but the day to day soldiery is done by a mixture of the desperate and the deranged.

First person accounts bear this out as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/15/separatist-fighter-russia-eastern-ukraine-interview

It's foreign volunteers and some locals with a bit of training being ran by officers who are undoubtedly Russian secret services / Special Operations.

They wanted Crimea for keeps. They're just loving around in Eastern Ukraine out of a mix of spite and genuine belief that this is working in favor of the "spheres of influence" theories that they see the world through. They believe Ukraine will go to their "rival sphere" so to them it's better to just fund lunatics and hope it turns into a genuine groundswell of support enough to sustain a civil war, thus turning Ukraine from the "enemy" column into "neutral/invalidated." Hoping your neighbors become prosperous and friendly does not enter into their minds because Russia is currently ran by guys with a 19th century viewpoint on world affairs.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 19, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Speaking of 19th century viewpoints: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/07/russia-has-become-dangerous-again/374687/

quote:

Suddenly, NATO’s role in Europe has regained relevance. Unfortunately, NATO lacks the credibility to match. The United States no longer maintains even a single tank in Europe. The European countries have allowed their defense capabilities to wither altogether. If the budget sequester remains in force, the U.S. Army's combat capabilities will be cut in half by decade’s end. Even if NATO decided that Russia’s latest actions release the West from the 1990s ban on permanent deployments in eastern Europe, what troops could it send?

We shouldn’t give up the hope that Putin will prove only an ugly detour on Russia’s route to a future as a normal, peaceful European democracy. But we shouldn’t any longer rely on that hope to guide our policy. Russia has become dangerous again. It's not as dangerous as it was, but it’s more than dangerous enough. Nearly 300 bereaved families in the Netherlands, Britain, Canada, and elsewhere have suffered what hundreds of Ukrainians have suffered since Russian sharpshooters opened fire on peacefully protesting crowds in Kyiv last winter.

And we are all more vulnerable to that danger because we have let atrophy the institutions necessary to meet and contain that danger. It’s time—past time—to build those institutions back. That’s been the meaning of the Ukraine crisis from the start. The terrible heartbreak of MH17 might have been averted if we had absorbed that meaning early. But better to absorb it now than to leave it any longer.

This is obviously an opinion piece but the news is that it's gotten so bad even David Frum has had to admit it

(Also he's wrong, we have like 20 or 30 tanks in Europe now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well to be fair we treat most of our nearby neighbors like poo poo, too.

• Locked thread