Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You're not very nice to the people you give shows to, are you, xeria?

Finished season 3 of Shameless last night and had an absolute whale of a time, but I got really sick of Jimmy's whiny poo poo by the end. Can't wait to start season 4 and see what this plotline is that's so horrifying hcreight and DivisionPost haven't even been able to finish the season yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Bown posted:

Finished season 3 of Shameless last night and had an absolute whale of a time, but I got really sick of Jimmy's whiny poo poo by the end. Can't wait to start season 4 and see what this plotline is that's so horrifying hcreight and DivisionPost haven't even been able to finish the season yet.

Someone else needs to fully understand just how bad The L Word is and why I have an undying television-related hatred of all things Ilene Chaiken. :colbert:

(And Zaggitz had already watched some of PLL anyway, so he has no excuse !)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Bown posted:

Part of it is I've been watching other stuff instead too. But the show's trajectory just gets really, really depressing over S4. And makes the show's Emmy candidacy switch to a comedy all the more absurd.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Jamesman posted:

Can we do show-for-show with people? Like, say I'll watch a show that someone else picks for me if they watch a show I pick for them?

Sure! Go for it! If someone wants to exchange shows with Jamesman, do it. You may want to specify a rough time commitment though.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Quick Update:

Currently on :lost: Season 1, Episode 10.

I'm actually going at a decent pace, I may just add another season to my toxx, depending my schedule requirements. I'm noticing that Lost is largely a character drama, rather than a typical plot driven show. Given the rather mundane scenario of island survival, whose daily life requirements rarely deviate from "get water, get food, get wood," it seems like this show had found a perfect niche by introducing complex and diverse characters forced to interact with each other through their unique scenario. By throwing out the number "46" for the amount of characters, they are able to produce and subdue characters at will, though I imagine that there will be a set number of characters as the actual "main" protagonists. Whether this show will kill some or all of them off is yet to be seen.

I actually don't know much about this show other than the ending supposedly being really bad. Something about them all being in hell or whatever. The island seems pretty mysterious enough, what with the random polar bear and the crazy french lady, though they have yet to reintroduce that creature that killed the pilot. I imagine the next appearance will offer some explanation to its' origin, either that or more questions.

There are a few characters I dislike, particularly Kate and Jack, but they're so central to the plot, I worry they will never die. I don't trust John Locke, though I enjoy his character immensely. Him and Sayid.

If you haven't given Lost a try, check it out. It hooks you fast, and it seems like a great ride.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The worst part about that spoiler is that you could be trolling or you could be totally serious. Either way, they're not in hell and that stems from people fundamentally misunderstanding the final episode and being whiny dipshits

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

The worst part about that spoiler is that you could be trolling or you could be totally serious. Either way, they're not in hell and that stems from people fundamentally misunderstanding the final episode and being whiny dipshits

Oh, so it was a fundamental misunderstanding to believe they were in the afterlife after the finale explicitly depicted them in the afterlife. Got it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No but people interpreted it as "so they were dead all along???" which clearly isn't the case (explaining for Ravane's benefit, not to actually interact with you, for obvious reasons).

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Bown posted:

Gotcha. The assumption of them all being in hell confused the hell out of me, considering that despite their flaws, they're not all terrible people. I especially had trouble believing a baby would be sent to hell, but this episode about the psychic had me considering she was harboring a demon child. I'm a bit glad this is not the case.

I can finally watch this show without any preconceptions.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'll go ahead and commit myself to watching:

Seasons 5-7 of True Blood. I've watched the first episode or two of S5 several times but now that it's wrapping up I'll go ahead and commit myself to finishing it off. It's still airing but once I catch up I'll just stay live till the series finale.

Seasons 1-2 of The Wire. It's one of those shows I know I need to just sit down and watch but I keep getting distracted. No more.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'll go ahead and commit myself to watching:

Seasons 5-7 of True Blood. I've watched the first episode or two of S5 several times but now that it's wrapping up I'll go ahead and commit myself to finishing it off. It's still airing but once I catch up I'll just stay live till the series finale.

Seasons 1-2 of The Wire. It's one of those shows I know I need to just sit down and watch but I keep getting distracted. No more.

You've made an excellent decision. Season 5 of True Blood is incredible.

The Wire's not bad, either.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Just updating that I powered through season 5 of Supernatural and then lost steam with season 6 and haven't watched an episode in 6 days. But I am not giving up!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just finished the first Trickster episode. That was great! Especially the part in the professor's office where Dean got progressively bigger and bigger cheeks. Also, alien slow dance.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

I just finished the first Trickster episode. That was great! Especially the part in the professor's office where Dean got progressively bigger and bigger cheeks. Also, alien slow dance.

The Trickster always gets amazing episodes. AMAZING.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tupping Liberty posted:

The Trickster always gets amazing episodes. AMAZING.

Even in this past season where he's not really there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Super excited to finally get started on Twin Peaks tomorrow. Gathered a few friends together, and the plan is to marathon our way through at least the first season and a half. Let you goons know how it all goes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Warning that season 1 is about 8 episodes and then 2 is 22/23, if you weren't aware already.

Taking a break from Shameless before starting on s4 to finish season 1 of Masters of Sex (so doing a second toxx in the middle of the first). I haven't seen any of it since October or so and I totally forgot how loveable some of the secondary characters were.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
7 seasons of Tales From the Crypt
Week 2

Two or three episodes from finishing the second season. This show man...this show...

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxing myself to watch at the very least Season 1 of Arrow, I'm 4 episodes in already and it seems pretty fun so far.

Edit: gently caress it, let's do both seasons, I'm burning through this.

BSam fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 16, 2014

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
No Toxx here but I got HBO Nordic which is amazing and I've already finished Spartacus and Deadwood as well as blazing through Girls and Penny Dreadful (i.e. watched the complete series from the start). I'm giving Treme a shot now, but again definitely no TOXX. The first new episode I watched had a rape so I don't know how easy it will be to keep up with it. I may also try finishing off Dexter which I fell off hard on during season 3. Also there's Last week tonight to distract me. Oh yeah, and work...

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

MrAristocrates posted:

I've only seen the pilot of Twin Peaks, so I'm gonna commit to both seasons of that by September 22.

I'll have a couple of free weeks before I get hella busy in September and I've been meaning to watch it forever, so I'mma do both seasons of Twin Peaks, too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As great as it is people are watching Twin Peaks y'all should wait for the bluray set coming out this month cause it's remastered and the previews of it look so much nicer

edit: check it

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bown posted:

As great as it is people are watching Twin Peaks y'all should wait for the bluray set coming out this month cause it's remastered and the previews of it look so much nicer

I kind of prefer the original. Twin Peaks was heavily inspired by soap operas (as I'm sure you know) and it loses a little of that charm if it's cleaned up too much.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Skeesix posted:

No Toxx here but I got HBO Nordic which is amazing and I've already finished Spartacus and Deadwood as well as blazing through Girls and Penny Dreadful (i.e. watched the complete series from the start). I'm giving Treme a shot now, but again definitely no TOXX. The first new episode I watched had a rape so I don't know how easy it will be to keep up with it. I may also try finishing off Dexter which I fell off hard on during season 3. Also there's Last week tonight to distract me. Oh yeah, and work...

Wait does that mean Spartacus is on HBO for the vikings? That's bizarre if so.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Just got back home after several awful travel delays and I intend to update on the show I picked on monday next week.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Zaggitz posted:

Wait does that mean Spartacus is on HBO for the vikings? That's bizarre if so.

Yes, there's no proper distribution up here so Showtime, Starz, etc. allow HBO to do it. It's not just Spartacus, but Dexter, Battlestar Galactica, Vikings... bunch of other stuff.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

I finally found a Supernatural season 6 episode I like, Weekend at Bobby's. It kind of reminds me of the episode of Buffy that's centered on Xander, meanwhile the rest of the gang are fighting off another apocalypse (Except Bobby is a better character than Xander).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tupping Liberty posted:

I finally found a Supernatural season 6 episode I like, Weekend at Bobby's. It kind of reminds me of the episode of Buffy that's centered on Xander, meanwhile the rest of the gang are fighting off another apocalypse (Except Bobby is a better character than Xander).

Season 6 is very unfocused but it does have some gems, like the fan favorite "The French Mistake " or the episode where Dean temporarily becomes a Reaper.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm six episodes into Orange is the new Black. I was kind of expecting something a couple of levels below OZ. I didn't realize it would be actually pretty funny. And sometimes :unsmith:.

Edit: Also, do we need the sappy music every time Diaz and Bennet are on screen together?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 17, 2014

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Well, Season 4 out of the way, now there are 5 boys Lois has to worry about and there was a pretty funny episode about the family going to church

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: Also, do we need the sappy music every time Diaz and Bennet are on screen together?
I wish we could take them off the screen altogether.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Bown posted:

I'm flattered that you think I can afford to buy blu-rays right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well I definitely wasn't encouraging piracy if that's what anyone was thinking! :ssh:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam posted:

Toxxing myself to watch at the very least Season 1 of Arrow, I'm 4 episodes in already and it seems pretty fun so far.

Edit: gently caress it, let's do both seasons, I'm burning through this.

I was right, just started season 2 now.

Enjoyed season 1, it was really amping up during the final few episodes and a great finale. Seeing as I'm continuing for another season I'll save my reviews for when I'm deeper in.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have watched all of Twin Peaks Season 1 and have started Season 2.

I had ideas of how I wanted to write-up Season 1 but forgot all of it, and went on and started Season 1 again because watching Season 2 so far is not making me happy.

The first season is quirky, but tolerably so. Season 2 is an all out farce. I will soldier on to finish Season 2, but it is rough.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
It gets better again right near the end. Then watch Fire Walk With Me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think season 2 is good for about 8-10 episodes. There are really underrated bits in the first few eps there.

Caught up with Masters of Sex which is really really good. S2 premiere didn't have as much change as I was hoping, but I'll deal.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Honestly I thought in the same year The Americans also premiered, that was stronger than Masters of Sex, which everyone said was the best that year. I really liked MoS but I wouldn't put Lizzy Caplan as an Emmy nod over Keri Russel, honestly. :shrug:

And Beau Bridges and Allison Janey thoroughly was the better plot in S1 of MoS over Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan. :shrug:

That being said the MoS S2 premiere was much stronger than I was expecting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've heard tons of people gush over The Americans but very few talk about Masters of Sex. Americans was fine but I fell off halfway through the first reason and don't really see myself picking it up again. shrug smilie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK, so I slogged through Orange is the New Black season 2 and goddamn this lovely poo poo show.

“The cliche about [watching a show about] prison life is that I am actually integrated into it, ruined by it, when my accommodation to it is so overwhelming that I can no longer stand or even imagine freedom, life outside [watching this show about] prison, so that my release brings about a total psychic breakdown, or at least gives rise to a longing for the lost safety of prison life. The actual dialectic of [watching this show about] prison life, however, is somewhat more refined. [watching this show about] Prison in effect destroys me, attains a total hold over me, precisely when I do not fully consent to the fact that I am [watching this show about being] in prison but maintain a kind of inner distance towards it, stick to the illusion that ‘real [television shows] is elsewhere’ and indulge all the time in daydreaming about [television shows] outside, about nice things that are waiting for me after my release or escape. I thereby get caught in the vicious cycle of fantasy, so that when, eventually, I am released, the grotesque discord between fantasy and reality breaks me down."

• Locked thread