Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't trust any Dwarf Fortress-alike until they near completion, if they ever do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Anyone got an opinion on Habitat?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't trust any Dwarf Fortress-alike until they near completion, if they ever do.

It is by the Dredmor guys so they at least have some credence, but that's still a pretty good point.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If Recettear goes on sale I'm buying a few copies to give out because I love that game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I completely get this feeling, but Dungeons of Dredmor is excellent so they've earned my trust...and my 30bux.

Widestancer posted:

If Recettear goes on sale I'm buying a few copies to give out because I love that game.

I always have a kneejerk reaction against buying cutesy anime games, but Recettear is one of my favorite purchases.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I found Fortune Summoners to be fun too, once I got used to the controls

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Widestancer posted:

Yea I was sad this didn't get cheaper in the sale

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Drifter posted:

Aside from it looking nice it's not really been positively reviewed.

You can afford to wait for it to drop below $10.

Child of Light has 76 metascore according to its Steam store page so it's not like it's bad or anything. For what it's worth, I absolutely love it. If anyone's on the fence about CoL, just try the demo. The full game is more of the same, and I mean that in a positive way. The game is short enough to not feel too repetitive, but you'll still get plenty of hours out of it.

The atmosphere is its strongest point and the time-based combat mechanic is novel, if a bit simplistic. It's a pretty-looking fairy tale that's all about enjoying the music, scenery and dialogue, with some jrpg combat on the side.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I keep forgetting there are demos on Steam because barely any games have them anymore.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

I keep forgetting there are demos on Steam because barely any games have them anymore.

We'll always have the Battlefield 1942 wake island demo

Orv
May 4, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

Wake Island sucks all the dicks.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I had more fun with the Halo 1 Demo than I did with the real game.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

steam://install/10050

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Unbearable posted:

I can't install that because I own the full version of the product.

[e] Oh, it's Quake Wars!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Unbearable posted:

How the gently caress did you find this?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Deakul posted:

http://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q=enemy+territory

Then use the standard command steam://install/appid on the demo and hope the files are still there.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

We've now 3 Steam Threads, yet UPlay and Origin get no love. :(

As it should be. Once those services get out of the development-swamp that Steam was in during its early years there might be a reason to get the services other than "these companies forced it on us to play their games".

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

evilmiera posted:

As it should be. Once those services get out of the development-swamp that Steam was in during its early years there might be a reason to get the services other than "these companies forced it on us to play their games".

In defense of Origin, I just recently installed it to play Mass Effect 3 and it's improved a lot over the state it was in a year ago. It's behind Steam, sure, but it's at least making improvements.

UPlay, at least as a stand-alone service, still seems lovely, though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fart of Presto posted:

Then use the standard command steam://install/appid on the demo and hope the files are still there.

Neat!
Now if only Quake Wars was available to buy.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Origin is middle of the road and inoffensive now, but uPlay is Schrodinger's Fuckup: you're either going to luck up and have no beef with it, or it's going to crash, devour saves, have weird patching issues, and other fun bugs that still occur over various bits of their games.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Deakul posted:

A friend happened to check steamdb just when was removed from the sub where all the free poo poo used to be. Of course had to check if it still worked.

It really is the old rear end demo though so it won't be coming back or anything.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

uPlay wouldn't even let me play the games I bought on Steam during the summer sale because their servers were getting so hammered that I couldn't register an account with them. It's the king of bad first impressions.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Origin is middle of the road and inoffensive now, but uPlay is Schrodinger's Fuckup: you're either going to luck up and have no beef with it, or it's going to crash, devour saves, have weird patching issues, and other fun bugs that still occur over various bits of their games.

The Battlefield 4 PC thread is basically the Origin thread because that's the only thing that a huge number of people use and constantly depend on it for.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

razorrozar posted:

Anyone got an opinion on Habitat?

It's a fun little time waster right now but is lacking anything beyond, build space station, sometimes accidentally explode.

If you don't need it right now come back in a few months. I kickstarted it after playing the demo at PAX and while I have zero regrets, most people should wait a bit until they get some more stuff in.

On the other hand, flying through space with a mechanical t - Rex head spitting fire is pretty loving awesome. So... ymmv.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Played some more games.. just kind of going scattershot here. I'm digging Brothers Tale of Two Sons, it's like Ico without the bullshit. I tried Cognition because it was a key offered in PGS, holy poo poo is it wonky, at one point the charcaters got caught in an animation/dialogue loop. You have That's So Raven powers to see poo poo that happened to objects/people in the.. uh the past?? But also the future?? It's the worlds most convenient superpower ever made. Everything you click on or interact with, the character slowly walks over to it and then there's a 5 second pause before they actually interact with it.

It's a Unity game and they didn't even provide a splash image for the generic Unity configuration launcher.

But I played One Finger Death Punch and that game is pretty cool. I bet it would be a hit on iPad too, doesn't even need to be on PC really. But it's silly and simple and entertaining.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so I bought Black Flag but it was on uplay because i'm dumb. what DLC is worth it?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Anyone familiar with Escape Goat know what you're supposed to do in Room 8 of the Final Path? I get that I'm meant to move a lit bomb over to the right side of the room, but I don't know how.

Nevermind, think I got it.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 19, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Iron Rose posted:

so I bought Black Flag but it was on uplay because i'm dumb. what DLC is worth it?
Freedom Cry. Play it after you finish the game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fart of Presto posted:

I have no idea what this means.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

But I played One Finger Death Punch and that game is pretty cool. I bet it would be a hit on iPad too, doesn't even need to be on PC really. But it's silly and simple and entertaining.

Yeah, I've found this game is addicting---but at the same time it's also easy to put down and I find myself getting naturally tired of it after ~8 levels or so and then I'm eager to pick it up the next day. Works as a good companion piece with other games I'm currently playing

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is also the lowest I've seen Killing Floor DLCs go for, I hope people still play the game because I'm getting that poo poo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

Not anymore! Gamespy shut down, remember?

Anyway, from the dataminers: Some strings were added recently for two-factor authentication using the Steam smartphone app.

quote:

As an additional security measure, you'll need to enter the current Steam Guard code from the Steam app on your phone.

quote:

You are using Steam Guard with Two Factor Security. To manage your Steam Guard settings, please open the Steam application on your smart phone.

If your phone is permanently unavailable, contact Steam Support for help.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hellburger99 posted:

In defense of Origin, I just recently installed it to play Mass Effect 3 and it's improved a lot over the state it was in a year ago. It's behind Steam, sure, but it's at least making improvements.

UPlay, at least as a stand-alone service, still seems lovely, though.

Sure, there are degrees of awful and Origin is better than Uplay any day of the week. In fact I'd say Uplay has almost regressed since I used it last, while Origin at least worked on good days.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There have even been brief moments where Origin has done stuff better than Steam.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Origin at the least has a really good refund policy. Also the overlay shows your battery, which is nice when you're on a laptop. It's lacking a lot of features Steam has, but it's perfectly fine to use.

Uplay, on the other hand, is trash.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So... anybody have impressions? My "buy" finger is getting twitchy but that price point is enough to stall me until I get a better picture.
It's an early alpha. Buying at this point is to support the devs and give feedback as the game evolves. It is not worth money if you want an actual game at this point.

I bought it already for the first reasons but I'm guessing you're looking for a more complete experience.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

I don't care that the gift was redeemed, I just want to know what this gif is from.

Edit: VVVV No lie I would buy the poo poo out of a game that emulated insane Japanese game shows.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 19, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hellburger99 posted:

I don't care that the gift was redeemed, I just want to know what this gif is from.
Japan Simulator 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hellburger99 posted:

Edit: VVVV No lie I would buy the poo poo out of a game that emulated insane Japanese game shows.

This isn't exactly what you're looking for but I'll be damned if I miss even the flimsiest of reasons to link it.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 19, 2014

• Locked thread