Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I, too, could use one if anyone is passing on theirs. I didn't receive one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
There's a lot of amazing Eclipse sets; some of them are cheaper and worth it for one or two films, and some of them are almost uniformly great. The ones I would definitely recommend are:

The Documentaries of Louis Malle
Late Ozu
Postwar Kurosawa
Lubitsch Musicals
Rosselini's History Films
Nikkatsu Noir
Chanttal Akerman in the Seventies
Oshima's Outlaw Sixties
Pearls of the Czech New Wave
Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr.
When Horror Came to Shochiku
Early Fassbinder
Late Ray

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Picked up Breaking the Waves and Salò today.

The cashier didn't seem to wanna make eye contact with me, and I guess B&N has crystal clear bags now? So people on the train ride home probably thought I was a suicide risk or something. Good times.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rusty Staub posted:

Picked up Breaking the Waves and Salò today.

The cashier didn't seem to wanna make eye contact with me, and I guess B&N has crystal clear bags now? So people on the train ride home probably thought I was a suicide risk or something. Good times.

Hell, I'd give anything if the vast majority of the people you walked past with that knew what those movies were. Good picks.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Criterion's putting Watership Down up on their iTunes channel:

Not sure if this means a future disc release, but that'd be cool. Would be nice if this meant more animated Criterion releases but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Had never heard of it, but watched it and man it was great and I loved it, but there was some pretty heavy stuff for a children's movie. If I had kids I'd definitely make them watch it. Great visuals too, probably would have been even better if I weren't sober.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Is it even a children's film?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No, it's a trap from the bygone time of parents selecting VHS rentals based entirely on the cover and malicious Blockbuster employees putting it in the "family" section.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well...

...hmm.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
There's really nothing in Watership Down more horrific or gruesome than a Golden Age Disney film. It's really weird how children's animation is seemingly the only genre where people are shocked by the content of older films versus today, as opposed to modern films always being perceived as over-sexed and gratuitously violent.

I think a large part of it just has to do with the inspired decision to depict the rabbits as rabbits, as opposed to hyper-realized cartoon characters. They have their own language and spooky superstitions and governments, but they don't wear clothes, they don't have parties, they don't have musical numbers. It's really not the presence of the violence that gets people, I don't think, it's the absence of everything else which is supposed to mitigate it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
By-the-by, if there's any fellow Australians in here that want a copy of Francis Ha on blu (only half-watched once) for $15+postage, let me know.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It was originally a children's book written by someone who feared that British children growing up without memories of the Blitz would therefore be insufficiently traumatized.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I picked up the hidden fortress today. I really wanted Scanners too but the blu rays were sold out.

I was thinking of getting breaking the waves and the great beauty as well. Only I didn't see the great beauty in theaters, but I loved Il Divo. Is it worth the blind buy?

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Hopefully they don't do the barebones thing like they did with Blue is the Warmest Color.

Richard Linklater posted:

Q: The Criterion Collection has worked with you before putting together special editions of your films. Is there a Criterion edition of Boyhood coming in the future and if so, can you talk about some of the special features we might see on the release?

Linklater: Yeah, we’ve got a ton of behind the scenes stuff. We made this in the era where everyone has a digital camera so we unearthed an interview from year one with Ellar, Lorelai, Patricia and myself, Patricia interviewed me in 2002. I hadn’t seen this since we shot it, Ellar had forgotten quite a bit of it but he got to see himself as a wide-eyed six year old. For people who like the movie, I think there will be a lot of cool little treasures.

Q: Are these video diaries only from the first year?

Linklater: No, we did interviews throughout.

Q: Have they talked to you about when they want to release it?

Linklater: I don’t know yet but it will be cool.

Q: I think the last time you were here you were wearing a Criterion shirt.

Linklater: (laughs) Was I?

Q: Yes.

Linklater: The New Yorker just did a profile on me and I just happened to have that Criterion shirt on. I thought I would change the shirt but they liked it so I kept it on. So then I told Peter Becker, the head of Criterion, hey I got my Criterion shirt in the New Yorker. Give me that Jacques Demy boxset. He told me it’s on its way. (laughs)

Q: Have you been to the Criterion office to put together the Blu-Ray yet?

Linklater: Not yet.
http://www.hypable.com/2014/07/18/boyhood-richard-linklater-interview/

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

There's a lot of amazing Eclipse sets; some of them are cheaper and worth it for one or two films, and some of them are almost uniformly great. The ones I would definitely recommend are:

The Documentaries of Louis Malle
Late Ozu
Postwar Kurosawa
Lubitsch Musicals
Rosselini's History Films
Nikkatsu Noir
Chanttal Akerman in the Seventies
Oshima's Outlaw Sixties
Pearls of the Czech New Wave
Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr.
When Horror Came to Shochiku
Early Fassbinder
Late Ray

Oh good, I was looking at a few of these, so it's good to know that my interest matches your recommended sets.

Thanks!

e: picked up the Robert Downey Sr. set, because it was the cheapest of the ones I wanted. I was also buying the Cassavettes set.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 19, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I really hope they make some more Eclipse sets. They're usually some of the most fascinating films on the Criterion label.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Silent Ozu is another Eclipse release worth investigating, especially if you enjoyed Good Morning. Ozu tackling comedy is just as good as his dramatic work.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
When Horror Came to Shochiku is by far one of the best things I've ever bought. The X from Outer Space is the only clunker, and even that's fascinating. Otherwise, The Living Skeleton, Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell, and Genocide are all fantastic movies. They are so totally bleak and sick. Great late night movies. All visually superb.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It's always hard for me to not just pick up nothing but Japanese films when Criterions go on sale. Most of these are blind buys:

Badlands
Modern Times
Riot In Cell Block 11
The Organizer
Tokyo Drifter
Red River

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I wish I could see Badlands for the first time again.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

kaujot posted:

I wish I could see Badlands for the first time again.

Ditto this and add Tokyo Drifter and Modern Times. All three amazing films - great choices!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Modern Times I've seen before, and it's of course wonderful. Badlands is a blind-go for me (I've seen a couple of Malick films before). As for Tokyo Drifter, I didn't really like Youth of the Beast very much, but there were certain things I liked about it a lot, enough to convince me to give Suzuki another go (and neither of the B&Ns I went to had Branded to Kill).

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I think the Sam Fuller set is also well worth the money, and relatively cheap.

Here it is the 19th of the month, and I am just now making it to B&N. I picked up two less popular titles, but one's that I have been wanting:

The Uninvited
Beauty and The Beast

They actually had the White Dog DVD in stock too, which isn't one I see too often. Wishing I would have grabbed it now, but Half Price Books was also having a 30% off sale too, so I was trying to spread my funds out.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I picked up Videodrome, The Hidden Fortress and Scanners today, then I went home and finally got around to watching Repo Man.

Good day.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 20, 2014

spotix55
Jun 6, 2014

Looks Like Mulholland Dr. is also coming to Criterion.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11468

Why such a strange request with the headroom?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

spotix55 posted:

Why such a strange request with the headroom?

To appease Jeffrey Wells?

But if I had to take a guess, it might be related to the fact that it started off as a TV pilot, so the initial framing was aimed for TVs. When it got converted to a motion picture, it seemed like just moving the matte up would make it work visually.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Anyone know if the films on the Jacques Demy box set are all the same type of opera-style musicals as Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Une Chambre en Ville?

Also, Une Chambre en Ville is finally on video? Holy poo poo.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Anyone know if the films on the Jacques Demy box set are all the same type of opera-style musicals as Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Une Chambre en Ville?

Also, Une Chambre en Ville is finally on video? Holy poo poo.

They are not.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

spotix55 posted:

Looks Like Mulholland Dr. is also coming to Criterion.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11468

Maybe, but that post is from 2013.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Would anybody recommend A Brief History of Time as a blind-buy? I've seen a few Errol Morris docs here and there but I can't say I'm otherwise familiar with him, this is more out of interest in Hawking and physics. I usually cap my B&N buys at 5 but this would make it 6.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Cacator posted:

Would anybody recommend A Brief History of Time as a blind-buy? I've seen a few Errol Morris docs here and there but I can't say I'm otherwise familiar with him, this is more out of interest in Hawking and physics. I usually cap my B&N buys at 5 but this would make it 6.

I personally loved the doco and it was a nice introduction to Hawking but it's a barebones disc.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
For what it's worth, the movie is much more focused on Hawking's life than on physics, although it does touch on some of that stuff as it relates to his work. It's a good watch but maybe not anything too mind-blowing.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I really hope Criterion gets to put out Morris' other work (at least his early films like Gates of Heaven), as they've got a relationship with MGM.

spotix55
Jun 6, 2014

Cacator posted:

Would anybody recommend A Brief History of Time as a blind-buy?

I can Recommend it.
I love how it's science plays into the suggestiveness of the film.
It makes it a worthy experience and it opened my eyes.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Received Scanners and Persona today. Do all the dual format releases come in these cardboard digipacks rather than the standard clear plastic cases?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think it depends on how many DVDs it comes with. City Lights is a dual format (1 dvd, 1 bluray), but it came in a plastic case.
I personally like the cardboard boxes.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
All That Heaven Allows doesn't have a box, Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion does though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

caiman posted:

Received Scanners and Persona today. Do all the dual format releases come in these cardboard digipacks rather than the standard clear plastic cases?

Hidden Fortress is in the standard box.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Got Hunger and A Hard Day's Night. Makes for a strange double feature, to say the least.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

They are probably releasing the Sternberg set in new packaging and on Blu. Same thing for Pandora's Box. No reason for either to be OOP for rights.

Even though this is saying 'unavailable' on Criterion's website and not OOP, this would be one to pick up in it's original release even for resale's sake. Lost in the re-release may be the 96-page booklet and cardboard packaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Dr.Caligari posted:

If [3 Silent Classics by Josef Von Sternberg] is at your B&N, you should snatch it up and resale, regardless. There isn't one that has it in stock within 100 miles of me, and it is not offered for sale at B&N's website.

Relatedly, I actually was able to order the OOP Paul Robeson box from bn.com. Granted, you can still get it cheaper used, but....