Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Continuing their downward spiral of regression, Discovery Channel just got busted fabricating a video of a shark in Lake Ontario as a viral ad for Shark Week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

They just announced today that Susan Heyward was cast as a lead.

e: Max Fowler and Adam Godley were also cast in major roles.

Legitimately my most anticipated new TV show premiere this year. Charlie Huston, who's doing all the scripts, is loving fantastic, and I'm interested to see how he handles the TV writing/EP duties. And David Slade directing? Jesus Christ, I'm overcome.

EDIT: Uh wait a minute there's a teen lead uh oh

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Charlie Huston? I love that guys books.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Yoshifan823 posted:

There were some pop songs in the first season, but not nearly as many as later. Remember, the fourth episode had a football team dancing to Single Ladies to distract their opponents long enough for Kurt to kick the game winning field goal.

That doesn't even make sense.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I have seen the pilot episode of Glee and I'm assuming that's accurate. The show is awful.

That's not accurate at all. The pilot is roughly a billion times better than everything that came after it. Now, where you place the pilot quality-wise is up to you, but it only gets much, much worse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Charlie Huston? I love that guys books.

Yeah I'm hoping its another Nick Pizzolatto situation, but unlike in True Detective, I have actually have read Huston's stuff before seeing his TV stuff.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Yoshifan823 posted:

There were some pop songs in the first season, but not nearly as many as later. Remember, the fourth episode had a football team dancing to Single Ladies to distract their opponents long enough for Kurt to kick the game winning field goal.
Weren't the first 13 episodes where the songs were actual performances (in the show)? And then after that they started using the songs to act as people singing about their feelings and all imaginary situations.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Ugh, what is even the point of this? It's just a shittier version of the original song.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

Ugh, what is even the point of this. It's just a shittier version of the original song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSroGlkmXQE

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well, the Science Channel, which was supposed to be the "hard science" Discovery network when the flagship channel started turning into homogenized poo poo, now shows science fiction, so it's like really how much further down can you go.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0kluTStX_Y

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Legitimately my most anticipated new TV show premiere this year. Charlie Huston, who's doing all the scripts, is loving fantastic, and I'm interested to see how he handles the TV writing/EP duties. And David Slade directing? Jesus Christ, I'm overcome.

EDIT: Uh wait a minute there's a teen lead uh oh

That teen character they cast isn't a lead. He's not even in the comic so he can only have so much of a role.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

Weren't the first 13 episodes where the songs were actual performances (in the show)? And then after that they started using the songs to act as people singing about their feelings and all imaginary situations.

Nah the first 13 were full of in their head singing about their feelings type malarkey. Starting with episode 2 with the "Smashed Your Windows" song

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Is Gang Related any good? It looks like it's trying to be The Shield, but I dunno the trailer looked a bit meh. Anyone watching it?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Is Gang Related any good? It looks like it's trying to be The Shield, but I dunno the trailer looked a bit meh. Anyone watching it?
It's dumb stupid fun for the most part but they didn't really put much effort into the 'double agent' aspect as much as I thought they would until like a week or so ago. It's alright, it's not great. If you have nothing better to watch go right ahead. It's mostly inoffensive.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Sober posted:

It's dumb stupid fun for the most part but they didn't really put much effort into the 'double agent' aspect as much as I thought they would until like a week or so ago. It's alright, it's not great. If you have nothing better to watch go right ahead. It's mostly inoffensive.

Hmm, doesn't sound like it should be too high on my list. Maybe I'll finally check out Longmire or Salem, instead.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Longmire is excellent.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Apparently Kevin Williamson (lol The Following) and Todd VanDerWerff are having a twitter slapfight.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
VanDerWerff has been posting twitter jokes at virtually every TCA panel he's gone to. His mocking of the pretty much unnecessary CBS Thursday Night Football panel was pretty great.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That teen character they cast isn't a lead. He's not even in the comic so he can only have so much of a role.

Not being in the comic doesn't mean a thing for an adaption, I think. And even if he isn't a lead, I guess I've been burned by hokey teenage plots in other TV shows before. Can anyone think of the last teenage supporting castmember whose plots were ACTUALLY an interesting part of their respective shows?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Claire from Six Feet Under.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Shageletic posted:

Not being in the comic doesn't mean a thing for an adaption, I think. And even if he isn't a lead, I guess I've been burned by hokey teenage plots in other TV shows before. Can anyone think of the last teenage supporting castmember whose plots were ACTUALLY an interesting part of their respective shows?

Boone from Lost.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Ravane posted:

Boone from Lost.

Neither character nor actor were teenagers though?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Claire from Six Feet Under.

That's a good one, but it took a couple of seasons for me to warm up to her, and it was fifteen years ago. Anything since then?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shageletic posted:

That's a good one, but it took a couple of seasons for me to warm up to her, and it was fifteen years ago. Anything since then?

The teenage son in United States of Tara

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Octavian from rome!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also, legit: Mandy on Last Man Standing, in the sense that her plots are much, much better than anything else on the show

Sometimes Eve on Last Man Standing as well. Sometimes her stories are the worst part of LMS tho, she's real inconsistent

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DominoDancing posted:

Neither character nor actor were teenagers though?

Character was 20 years old when he died. Just about a teenager.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Dana from Homeland.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Speaking of Homeland, it appears that there's a very good chance we won't be seeing Brody's awful family anytime soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6vKiOM0Ws

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

Executive producer Alex Gansa told the TCA panel attendees, "I can say unequivocally that Dana Brody will not be back."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

But the Brody Bunch where the best thing about that show. It was exactly the content I was hoping for in my mature spy drama.

Have they spoken any about their previous love of the character/actress and their changed opinion?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Logo has been running a Don't Trust The B___ in Apartment 23 marathon and drat I missed this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thank loving god. Alex Gansa is doing a good thing :patriot:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Logo has been running a Don't Trust The B___ in Apartment 23 marathon and drat I missed this.

Isn't that on Netflix or something by now?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Isn't that on Netflix or something by now?

Netflix has the whole series in HD and if they're smart they'll never delist it (like Amazon did with Bunheads. Bezos :argh:).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Dana from Homeland*.

*Season 1 only

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

But the Brody Bunch where the best thing about that show. It was exactly the content I was hoping for in my mature spy drama.

Have they spoken any about their previous love of the character/actress and their changed opinion?

They realized that forehead scrunching can only carry a character so far

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Morgan Saylor was pretty great still. Not her fault her character was a useless blithering moron. But anyway I never finished Homeland season 3 and I doubt I ever will after I read that season 4 is likely gonna have Carrie/Quinn getting together and Brody still showing up in flashbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm in the same situation as you Bown, couldn't get through S3, dunno if I want to finish it. I didn't think there was anything wrong with Morgan Saylor (she's pretty good, actually), just Dana being written really meh is hard to work with.

Those spoilers though, hahahahahahah oh my god. Showtime's execs has its grimy fingers in deep, don't they?

• Locked thread