Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

El Rey just aired Day of the Dead without cutting any of the gore or bleeping a single word (which is impressive since the movie is like 80% cursing.) They're also advertising airings of Duel, and a regular Kung Fu movie timeslot.

I like this network.

I hope this channel doesn't turn into another SPike Tv which is a strong possibility since their flagship series From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series is a huge pile of baby poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Detox eat the Dew

You can bet it would take a lot less time for me to post a photo of me drinking dew then it will take for CPL to inevitably buckle and wear some goddamn shorts!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I almost saw The Purge: Anarchy tonight, but I ended up going bowling. I got a 127, my all time high score! Also, I hung out with my ex all day, and today would have been our anniversary. There are a few ways it could have gone, I think it went the better way.

And in not-E/N news, I finally saw Heathers the other day, that was a pretty good movie.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Purge: Anarchy was super dope guys. It was pretty much LF: the Movie and I greatly enjoyed that

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I saw Purple Rain on a library roof for free, and I got free beer too. It really gained a lot with the crowd experience, especially during the last three songs when most of the audience was acting like they were at a Prince concert. The soundtrack is, of course, fantasic, and it's pretty funny at times, especially Morris and Jerome. Prince is an okay actor, but he is incredibly magnetic when it comes to the live performances. The highlight of the whole thing was during Purple Rain, when someone in a nearby apartment waved their cellphone from their window.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Yeah I saw the new Purge this afternoon and for a good half hour it was a pretty okay Escape From New York kinda thing and I would've enjoyed it a lot more if it stuck with that. Really want the next one to be some kind of Robert Altman large cast of players kinda thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So first full day in the apartment is over. My plan for tomorrow is to make jolly rancher vodka and finish unpacking my clothes. My plan for Sunday is to drink Jolly Rancher vodka and watch Seinfeld on DVD.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Literally The Worst posted:

So first full day in the apartment is over. My plan for tomorrow is to make jolly rancher vodka and finish unpacking my clothes. My plan for Sunday is to drink Jolly Rancher vodka and watch Seinfeld on DVD.
Shouldn't you be out on the streets hunting for your next brick & mortar comic shop? (To shop in, I mean, not to work in.) That was always one of the first things I did when I rolled into a new town.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Egbert Souse posted:

Also found a Russian bank note that seems pre-revolution

Take that one straight to the Barnes & Noble and try to buy an Eisenstein with it.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I've been trying to watch more noir flicks and I've seen most of the essentials (Long Goodbye, Chinatown, Third Man, Hitchcock's stuff, etc) but I was wondering if there are any lesser known noir films you would recommend

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Streets of Fire owns, if you haven't seen that.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Slackerish posted:

I've been trying to watch more noir flicks and I've seen most of the essentials (Long Goodbye, Chinatown, Third Man, Hitchcock's stuff, etc) but I was wondering if there are any lesser known noir films you would recommend

Definitely watch Out of the Past. Robert Mitchum is fantastic.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Slackerish posted:

I'm no expert, and I"m not sure what you would consider 'lesser-known' but here's some I dig a lot:
The Big Sleep; Gun Crazy; Double Indemnity; In a Lonely Place; The Killing; Kiss Me Deadly; Lady From Shanghai; The Maltese Falcon; The Naked Kiss; Night of the Hunter; On Dangerous Ground; Pickup on South Street; Sunset Blvd; They Live By Night; Underworld U.S.A.; White Heat.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Check out some French noir: Bob le flambeur, Touchez pas au grisbi and Rififi are all fantastic.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Referencing a pages-old topic: if I could time-travel, Empire Strikes Back is deffo the best movie to see with a crowd. Contenders (with a full crowd) are Princess Bride, Aliens, Karate Kid, Casablanca, and Jaws (if limiting to 5).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aliens was my number 1 "Go back in time movie" ever. I did see it in a theater recently, and man, it was everything I could've wanted. I jumped during scenes I've watched hundreds of times due to the great sound in the theater. Perfection.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I've only watched a handful of black and white movies but Black Sunday, Nebraska, and Dead Man are the prettiest so far.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Played some games recently:

Witcher 2 has decent story (but confusing at first if you didnt play 1) but too-hard combat and terrible inventory system.

Kingdoms of Amalur; simplified Skyrim, but ok, especially if you're drunk. Inventory system a lil better than Witcher.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

There is no loving way this movie is real:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Friedpundit posted:

Isn't this movie about a literal Magic Negro?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Rannulph Junuh

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Isn't this movie about a literal Magic Negro?

It probably would be if it were an actual movie and not just a Cracked Photoshop contest submission.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All I see is Woll Smoth in that poster.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Friedpundit posted:

Bagger Vance is a good movie. I love the brain cells monologue.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Skywalker OG posted:

I've only watched a handful of black and white movies but Black Sunday, Nebraska, and Dead Man are the prettiest so far.

So when you say handful, you literally mean 'three'?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Sheldrake posted:

So when you say handful, you literally mean 'three'?

How many movies can you fit in your giant hands?!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CloseFriend posted:

Shouldn't you be out on the streets hunting for your next brick & mortar comic shop? (To shop in, I mean, not to work in.) That was always one of the first things I did when I rolled into a new town.

Nah. I'm going to do mail order through my shop for a bit, but there is one that I'd like to check out eventually.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

ChickenMedium posted:

How many movies can you fit in your giant hands?!

five.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Depends on the format really. Like if it was an actual reel of film you probably couldn't carry more than one. You could only fit one Laserdisc and one or two VHS or Betamax movies in each hand, three or four with DVD and Bluray. If it was on a external drive of some sort the number of movies would depend on the size of the files and the storage capacity of the drive*. So a" handful of movies" could be anywhere between one movie and several hundred. :goonsay:

*keeping in mind that 720p is the bare minimum and everything below that is pure barbarism and anything n proper HD is a going to take up a few gigabytes,

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 19, 2014

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Slackerish posted:

This is an obvious choice, but motherfucking Casablanca. I'm also seconding Double Indemnity, bebeh.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As for noir films I recommend Stanley Kubrick's nonlinear heist film The Killing. It's not quite as Kubricky as his later films but it's pretty darn solid.

I'd also recommend Touch of Evil which is in my opinion the best film Orson Welles ever made. It does have Charlton Heston playing a Mexican but that's about the only thing wrong with it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I like that we get to put out staff picks at my library now. I've started doing theme displays. This week's is "Guns, Guns, Guns!"

Gun Crazy
Tokyo Drifter
A History of Violence
Haywire
Hard Boiled

I'm hoping another mass shooting doesn't happen this week and ruin gun movies for everyone.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

*keeping in mind that 720p is the bare minimum and everything below that is pure barbarism and anything n proper HD is a going to take up a few gigabytes,

This doesn't really make sense if laserdisks and dvds are also valid formats.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting married in seven hours!! *puts on the extended edition of The Return of the King*

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Born to Kill and The Phenix City Story, two very good and very underrated Noir films.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maxwell Lord posted:

El Rey just aired Day of the Dead without cutting any of the gore or bleeping a single word (which is impressive since the movie is like 80% cursing.) They're also advertising airings of Duel, and a regular Kung Fu movie timeslot.

I like this network.

Yeah, El Rey is cool. I caught Knightriders on there the other day.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CPL593H posted:

They'd also have to cast someone who isn't Jeremy Renner, or at least someone more charismatic, like a JC Penney mannequin or possibly a wooden fence post.

Jeremy Renner's a great actor, movie Hawkeye just sucks.

Hewlett posted:

(and Michael K Williams as Cyrus)

Michael K. Williams as Miley K. Cyrus.

A good noir film that didn't get mentioned: The Big Heat. Directed by Fritz Lang, starring Glenn Ford, Gloria Graham, and a young Lee Marvin.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 19, 2014

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alec Eiffel posted:

I'm getting married in seven hours!! *puts on the extended edition of The Return of the King*

Hey, grats! I'll pass along some advice I was given on my wedding day. If you ever travel back in time, don't step on anything. Because even the slightest change can alter the future in ways you can't imagine. Whatever happens is a blessing. The photographer knocks over the cake? Have a food fight. It'll make a great story.

Seriously, don't stress this. All it really is is a party for you and your soon-to-be spouse. There's no point in sitting there the whole time brooding about such-and-such not going perfectly. loving enjoy yourselves!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Also pay your photographer what they're asking for, for the love of god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bugblatter posted:

Bugblatter posted:

That was mainly meant for the digital part. Older formats are exempt.

• Locked thread