Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Suspicious Dish posted:

Correct. And then it all just falls down in S2.

It's the episode I was convinced Jinho was a genius. He's sort of bumbled along the sidelines with some truly weak victories and tremendous losses for a bit, but he just came back and won everyone over.

He also came up with the idea I had in the 5:5 game of just "making groups of five" as soon as they explained the rules. Also thought of using questions since there were four in the back row and six in the front of "I'm in the back row or I'm X" where X was something only one person in the front row is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Third season definitely needs some Lazerhawk

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If I'm remembering right on Open/Pass they also were able to go do test shuffles/hands so he was able to know in advance that the shuffle wouldn't mess up his card positioning.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Man, a case that seems like it's going to be amazing on its own right AND it's longer than a hour and a half? Tomorrow is going to be fantastic. :allears:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Episode 10 now subbed.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
That was great! When clues started coming in about the Agent I really didn't know what to think. Detective really showed why he's a profesional in this one.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah the Agent suddenly became a late contender, I was surprised nobody voted for her. But I think the text message with the period really sold most people on Star. Like, they talked about the clue everyone missed (the blood where the glove would have covered) but that clue they did find was somewhat convincing as well. Good work by the detective. And Jinho, he didn't say it was a kidnapping, but he was on the right track when he said he called the mom, found out she was working in a store (poor), and then raged. That was actually right on the money. Well done by the cast going 5 votes correct (poor Deduction Queen! her venn diagram was so good!)... I never gave up on suspecting the director. Yeah, there was the blood issue, but that didn't really nail anyone unless you knew the glove thing, so the director still seemed a valid suspect to me.

So was the purse from that episode the entire prize money? Four-way tie then?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Episode 10 Spoilers: Yeah, I guess the money was split? The twists and clues were flying fast and furious that episode, good on the Detective for nailing one of the best ones. The lead actor killing her when he saw she didn't really have any money didn't make any sense to me until they revealed the kidnapping bit.

Really happy the cast was freely talking about season 2, so hopefully that's not too far off. Would like to see everyone back if possible.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 19, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
drat fine finale, full of twists and turns. Looking forward to an S2, though the Genius is still a far superior show in my opinion.

NS Yoonji for Genius S3 please! :swoon:

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
If the prize pool per episode was roughly $500 USD, I wonder if that's similar to the value of the gold prizes on Running Man as well?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Cute n Popular posted:

If the prize pool per episode was roughly $500 USD, I wonder if that's similar to the value of the gold prizes on Running Man as well?

The not so big secret to all of these variety type shows is that the weekly prize means nothing, and is worth nothing. The Genius is the exception, as they're pretty upfront about that being the ultimate prize for a competition show.

But shows like Crime Scene and Running Man just pay the cast an episode fee like any actor/host of a tv show would make. The prizes are just for show, and I doubt any of the Running Man "gold" is worth more than $20.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

I think they get paid a lot less then a US equivalent would be though yeah, at least I assume so judging by Jinho's appartment. So the prize still wasn't anything to sneeze at for them.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The new show just tweeted by Bumdiddlyump, Unusual Conference, is pretty entertaining: basically just 11 guys of different nationalities chatting poo poo.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

GraPar posted:

The new show just tweeted by Bumdiddlyump, Unusual Conference, is pretty entertaining: basically just 11 guys of different nationalities chatting poo poo.

Yeah that was pretty fun. I was sad hearing about Guillaume's problems, I thought he had been really sucsessful playing poker. It was also interesting that they really only had I want to say three actual celebrities out of the foreigners.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I have to ask because this was bugging me through the whole episode: Why would there be real Chloroform on a movie set?
It threw me off a little because I was thinking it might be the reason for the weird stab wounds. Killer tries to use prop Chloroform to knock actress out which doesn't work and catches them by surprise, leading to a struggle that ends with impromptu stabbings. I guess I went with over-complication once again :j:

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I had that thought too but again, game and not real :v:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah it's a total plothole

Edit: I'll be honest though I totally didn't notice it

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 20, 2014

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

CHiRAL posted:

I have to ask because this was bugging me through the whole episode: Why would there be real Chloroform on a movie set?
It threw me off a little because I was thinking it might be the reason for the weird stab wounds. Killer tries to use prop Chloroform to knock actress out which doesn't work and catches them by surprise, leading to a struggle that ends with impromptu stabbings. I guess I went with over-complication once again :j:

The murderer bought it for the kidnapping right?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Soylentbits posted:

The murderer bought it for the kidnapping right?

Nope. He took one of the jars from the prop room.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Well I guess the director was just really really method.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah the Agent suddenly became a late contender, I was surprised nobody voted for her.

Yeah, I expected at least one person to vote for Jiyoon at that point. Guess Jinho was just baller enough to convince everyone else of the right answer. Minhyuk being the first guest to pick the criminal, and when it actually really mattered no less, was cool though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CHiRAL posted:

Corn Thongs posted:

I had that thought too but again, game and not real :v:
Hahaha I actually asked that as well. When I started wondering that, I figured it was kind of going down the rabbit hole and not something the show would actually think about. I guess it could've been used in making dyes or in literally euthanizing animals on set for the vet role or whatever.

Zythrst posted:

Well I guess the director was just really really method.
:lol:

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 20, 2014

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Rewatched The Genius S2E1, Hweejong's single-episode arc is so beautiful.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

CHiRAL posted:

I decided to be a huge nerd and look this up while I was watching the episode. Chloroform can be used to create dyes. It's a bit of a stretch, but since film lighting can be super wonky, I'm willing to suspend disbelief just enough to buy it.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Tonfa posted:

Rewatched The Genius S2E1, Hweejong's single-episode arc is so beautiful.

I'd really like them to bring him back for Season 3. He was a good player who made a mistake in picking his allies for the game, and in assuming everyone would have the same focus on winning above all else. He still only lost the death match by the dumb luck of Doohee having the one Quatro card necessary to do him in. I'd be interested in how he approached the game the second time around.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I actually remembered him being a really bad player :confused: the predators shot themselves in the foot by allying together and his only method of winning was being a dick and trying to order the mouse role around, which obviously backfired.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The reason he was voted off was because he was trying too hard to win and was generally a duck. I'm glad he's gone.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I kinda want him to be back just because his arrogance was hilarious to watch.

Alternatively if he actually comes back as a nicer dude it'd be a cool thing too. :shobon:

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Corn Thongs posted:

I actually remembered him being a really bad player :confused: the predators shot themselves in the foot by allying together and his only method of winning was being a dick and trying to order the mouse role around, which obviously backfired.

Not quite; he told the mouse what to do before the game even started, since him winning was her victory condition. She avoided him the whole game because she'd chosen to intentionally lose in order to show her loyalty to Jinho. Even then he might have been ok if Jiwon hadn't told the other surviving prey animal to meet him there and made both of them invulnerable.

And yeah, he shouldn't have allied with the other predators, but they'd teamed up during the rehearsal before they pulled their roles for the actual game. Dude was just trying to make friends.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I kinda want him to be back just because his arrogance was hilarious to watch.

Alternatively if he actually comes back as a nicer dude it'd be a cool thing too. :shobon:

He was hilariously arrogant, and I was definitely glad he was the one to go in the first episode, but he wasn't dumb, he played Quatro exactly as he should, and I think in the long run the season could have used another non-broadcaster schemer. Also, in his exit interview he talks about how he's going to look like an rear end in a top hat now, so he'll take ti as a lesson to be more humble. I'd like to see if he can stick with that.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Watched S2E1. Was not disappointed! Although I guess I spoiled the winner of season one for myself. Or rather, the show spoiled it for me by showing it to me.

edit: does anyone have an invite to the soft sub download? I would very much appreciate it!

Subyng fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 31, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm really interested in getting into this show, but I can't find it anywhere. Does it go by any other names aside from "The Genius"?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Check out Bumdidlyumptious's tumblr or youtube channel.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

melon cat posted:

I'm really interested in getting into this show, but I can't find it anywhere. Does it go by any other names aside from "The Genius"?

Links are provided to the subber's channel at the bottom of the OP.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nondevor posted:

Links are provided to the subber's channel at the bottom of the OP.

:doh:

Can't believe I overlooked that. Thanks.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Season 3 needs to start already.

Also it needs Junghyun.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
We do know that S3 is airing sometime in August, according to a press release from CJE&M. Additionally, we have this:

http://program.interest.me/tvn/thegenius3

quote:

5월15일부터6월13일까지진행된
〈더 지니어스 시즌3〉 일반인 잡가자 공개모집이 마갑되었습니다.

먼저 〈더 지니어스 시즌3〉 일반인 참가모집에보내주신
크나큰 관심과 열정에 감사드립니다.

1차서류심사에지원한3114명중
557명을 대상으로 2차심사룰 진행했습니다

양일에 걸쳐 이루어진 2차 심사툴 합격한 지원자들과 최종 심사룰 진행,
〈더 지니어스 시즌3〉의 플레이어들이 확정되었습니다.

국내/ 외에서 〈더 지니어스 시즌3〉 일반인 잠가 모집에
지원해 주신 모든 분들께 다시 한번 감사드리며
앞으로 시작될 〈더 지니어스 시즌3〉에
더큰관심과 사랑 부탁드립니다.

감사합니다

quote:

May 15-June 13 advanced
<The Genius Season 3> go open public recruitment job was bard.

First <The Genius Season 3> send me the recruitment of public participation
Thanks for the great interest and enthusiasm.

Documents in support of the primary screening hits 3114
557 people rule evaluation and proceeded to the secondary target

Primary screening tool both days over a two applicants who have passed the final examination proceeding rules,
<The Genius Season 3> The players have been confirmed.

Domestic / Outside <The Genius Season 3> public locked in recruiting
Once again thank everyone who supported
Started coming <The Genius Season 3>
Ask for greater attention and love.

Thank you

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Sounds great. I hope it doesn't end up being famous people ganging up on the rest, though. I'm afraid this is the sort of show that could easily devolve into a purely personality-driven contest because those are easier to create.

I actually really hope that Crime Scene gets renewed. It started slow but eventually started working. There was also the feeling of camaraderie within competition that The Genius S1 had. Everyone was mostly getting along and able to admire each other's skill, even if they didn't fully trust them.

Did anyone else think that the Crime Scene finale would have two people hiding details of the crime? I half-expected it to be a situation where one killed her with the knife, and then someone else came along and set up the body, or added the chisel. Good episode either way. I wondered if the prize for the detective was set up from the start or actually just them going with what was said in the show. He seemed a bit amused and surprised when they announced it.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

By the way if you havn't kept up on Abnormal Summit, its pretty conistantly hillarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Kang from Crime Scene will be on The Genius 3