Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Mostly I use Playcoins to buy some play time in Mii Plaza, since I don't get many Streetpasses. (When I bought the bundle of four games, I didn't think the flower game would be the one I'd most enjoy playing, but here we are.)

Relevant to the thread, I think Arcade Mode in Mii Force is way too long for what it is. Warrior's Way may be almost content-free, but at least it only takes a few minutes to make progress toward the last Plaza Ticket I need. To even have a chance of getting the Plaza Ticket for Arcade Mode, I have to have multiple hours set aside, and I can't play any other games on the 3DS until I'm done or dead. The way your ten Miis are doled out over three lives is also obnoxious, as it leaves you chronically underpowered. I'd rather have a single life and all ten Miis at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As I find myself playing Payday 2 every day with a friend, I wonder what the designers where thinking, there's a good game here but why is it buried under such poo poo.

For starters you have the leveling system, this poo poo is a slog and its made worse by the the built in anti grind mechanic, this is a game where you are entirely defined by your skills, and even a level 10 can bring something to the table, so why the gently caress would slow that down, and the why the gently caress would punish people for wanting to grind a bit.

The way the anti grind mechanic works is that the more you play the same heist, the less exp you get, its entirely possible to reach a point where you get 0 exp from a heist through repeated playthroughs, the game also removes exp based off your level, so say you're a level 5 guy with a level 80 buddy, level 80 buddy takes you through a high level heist, you get 40,000exp from the entire thing, well you're supposed, the game will remove 32k of that because you're not supposed to be there.

The unlock system, dear good the unlock system, I don't know how anyone playtested this and said yep good to go, its tied entirely to random RNG, its very possible to reach level 100 and not have something as basic as a silencer for your weapons, or hell any kind of sight, I'm level 60, I don't have a single scope or sight for any gun. On top of that, if you get a mod you need to pay to put it on your gun and to remove it, plus if you wanna use it another gun, you have to remove it from the gun you have it on.

But its ok! They offered a solution to this, pay 5 dollars for DLC and you unlock mods scattered across maps, these mods are both free to put on weapons and better than anything the game gives you, which is loving dirty, it feels to much like buying guns.

And ultimately, the neglect that the console versions of Payday 2 have is insane, it would be one thing if nobody played them, but Payday 2 on consoles is bursting with people, I see so many lobbies sometimes that they overlap with each other, its an avenue they could use to make more money if they wanted, not to mention that the console version is still running on a beta build patch. They've gotten a lot of money to so there's no excuse.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Payday 2 made back it's development costs back through pre-orders, if I remember correctly. So yeah, no excuse.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Alteisen posted:

The way the anti grind mechanic works is that the more you play the same heist, the less exp you get, its entirely possible to reach a point where you get 0 exp from a heist through repeated playthroughs, the game also removes exp based off your level, so say you're a level 5 guy with a level 80 buddy, level 80 buddy takes you through a high level heist, you get 40,000exp from the entire thing, well you're supposed, the game will remove 32k of that because you're not supposed to be there.

Is there a refresh period to this, or are you basically hosed out of XP after enough time? From the other design decisions you've mentioned I'm going to guess there isn't.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moosecow333 posted:

Is there a refresh period to this, or are you basically hosed out of XP after enough time? From the other design decisions you've mentioned I'm going to guess there isn't.

Well you're only hosed out of exp if you keep playing that particular mission, and you'd have to play it a lot, it was done to prevent farming short heists.

The point is, something that dumb shouldn't exist in the first place, if someone wants to play a bank heist 100 times in a row, let them.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Well you're only hosed out of exp if you keep playing that particular mission, and you'd have to play it a lot, it was done to prevent farming short heists.

The point is, something that dumb shouldn't exist in the first place, if someone wants to play a bank heist 100 times in a row, let them.

Wait, they don't just drop the xp? They also stop you from being to play the level at all after a certain point?

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

MrJacobs posted:

Wait, they don't just drop the xp? They also stop you from being to play the level at all after a certain point?

Don't think so, you just stop getting any XP. If you don't care about that then you can play a level as much as you like.

I understand why they did it, the speed-grinding heist of the moment was usually hard to find a normal group for, most people would join expecting a quick XP farm and would leave when they realised that wasn't the case.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

carry on then posted:

There's also a hard limit of 300 coins at a time. And barely anything to spend them on (a hint in Link Between Worlds? Oh boy!) When I was doing 10K steps a day just commuting for months at a time I hit that limit quick.

Eggs in Kid Icarus Uprising obviously.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Alteisen posted:

People not latching on to a single mission and not doing it over and over doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

No, you can keep playing the same heists for no xp. Honestly it's a good thing IMO. Payday 1 was literally 95% lobbies of a single map every time. Payday 2 started off being in that trap until they added this system. And the fact that hasn't been mentioned is that it's not just "anti-grind," you get huge bonuses for playing a map you usually skip.

In addition they added a bonus to your next heist's exp if you stealth your current one. Most people are leveling faster than they ever did before, which is also kinda of irrelevant since you can get a drat good build for around a third of the level cap's exp. Since we're on the subject though, let me illuminate you on Rats.

Before the anti grind measures were added Rats was far and away the most played level. Prior to re-balancing patches people would speedrun Rats in about 5 minutes. Many objectives were done before an appreciable number of enemies could spawn. Part 1: Shoot 1 guy, grab a bottle, pour it out, run to the van. Part 2: Run up some stairs, shoot 2 guys, put c4 on a safe, run to the van. Part 3: Shoot 4 guys, open a suitcase, grab a money bag, run to the van. Rats complete. Payday 2 was an FPS where basically nobody was getting shot. Loads of servers running in a mainstream FPS and nobody had any patience to shoot people. It was absurd, and it was all so people could level up faster to be better at shooting people who they did not shoot.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Pokemon X/Y encourage taking a lot of steps every day by giving multipliers on O-powers regenerating. O-powers run the gamut from experience boosts to recovery, so refilling your wizard energy completely in 10 minutes instead of 40 is great.

But the first multiplier comes at 2000 steps, twice as much as the playcoins-per-day cap. And the game doesn't even use playcoins. :psyduck:

The real things dragging X/Y down is that they improved Knock Off and Defog but the special ways to teach those moves aren't in the game. I hope you still have Diamond and Soul Silver if you want to use a Zapdos!

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The real things dragging X/Y down is that they improved Knock Off and Defog but the special ways to teach those moves aren't in the game. I hope you still have Diamond and Soul Silver if you want to use a Zapdos!

It's to encourage Pokebank usage. That and the fact that every move tutors only appear in the third game or sequels. Hopefully ORAS will have tutors...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Titan Quest loving rules. But it kills me, utterly, that when I tab to another window, the game pauses. I want to tab away and gently caress around on SA or something for a minute and come back, but when I do that TQ certainly hasn't loaded anything or whatever.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Mister Adequate posted:

Titan Quest loving rules. But it kills me, utterly, that when I tab to another window, the game pauses. I want to tab away and gently caress around on SA or something for a minute and come back, but when I do that TQ certainly hasn't loaded anything or whatever.

I have that problem with Craft the World. It just halts entirely if you lose focus on the game. Considering some parts of the game can be waiting for your dwarves to do poo poo, not being able to scroll down or change pages on imgur without having to click back and forth to keep focus on the game can be annoying. I know it's a limitation of whatever the guy is using to make the game, but drat.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mister Adequate posted:

Better than loving Skyrim, which almost drat near collapses on itself if you want to alt-tab. :argh: Every PC game should have a borderless fullscreen option.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Icewind Dale so far is pretty bad rear end. Except starting out is even more brutal here than in BG1. First battle-

"Goblin attacks mage"

"Mage dies"

awesome, reload!

Its just so grindy and you really gotta rest after EVERY fight. It gets a little rough.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

Better than loving Skyrim, which almost drat near collapses on itself if you want to alt-tab. :argh: Every PC game should have a borderless fullscreen option.

Right clicking Skyrim in the task manager, then selecting "switch to" seems to bring it back correctly. Not really an acceptable solution, but a better workaround than just alt-tabbing and hoping the game switches back.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Icewind Dale so far is pretty bad rear end. Except starting out is even more brutal here than in BG1. First battle-

"Goblin attacks mage"

"Mage dies"

awesome, reload!

Its just so grindy and you really gotta rest after EVERY fight. It gets a little rough.

I remember the start of Icewind Dale being insanely hard. Only other game which I can remember having a worse start is Fallout 2. :argh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ChaosArgate posted:

Skyrim's actually better about alt-tabbing than older Bethesda games. Oblivion and the Fallouts crashed immediately on alt-tabbing, and I'm pretty sure Morrowind didn't handle better.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's really petty to complain about something that is extra content and doesn't hurt the game, but the overly-specific civs in Civilization 4 and 5 just rub me the wrong way.

Like, Byzantium was not a separate "civ" (though it pains me to say it). It was Rome in the medieval era. If you play as Rome, change your religion to Christianity, and move your capital to a new city called Constantinople, then BAM you're Byzantium (and especially the Byz of Justinian and Theodora's day, where Latin was still the official language).

Or the Holy Roman Empire. What the hell is the Holy Roman Empire if you're on a map with the Germans AND Romans AND Christianity is 4000 years in the future?

Brazil? Really?

Denmark and Sweden are TOTALLY SEPARATE on the scale of this game, guys, honest!

America is just as bad; they do have the excuse that it's the most powerful empire the world has ever known, so it'd be weird to totally exclude them in an empire-building game...still, Cavemen Yankees?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
"...and don't get me started on ghandi, why would he even own nuclear weapons!?"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I picked up Dust: An Elysian Tail in the Steam sale because I am real bad at action-type games but I still like playing them. It's a good balance for my skill level. I'm also trying to 100% it because there aren't that many objectives, but the thing dragging it down for me is backtracking with the teleportation system. Each 'zone' is comprised of between 2 and like 30 individual 'areas' linked together that each cover many screens worth of real estate and are full of mobs. There are save spots scattered around each zone and you can use any of them to move to another zone, BUT you can only start a zone at the ends. This means that to go back to a specific room you skipped you need to slowly plod through half a dozen or more areas that you're wildly overpowered for. It would have been easy for them to make every save spot a teleport destination and I don't know why they didn't.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Byzantine posted:

Brazil? Really?

Why are you mad about Brazil?

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Jul 19, 2014

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

ZombiU is a fun game and the permadeath really makes it a tense experience, but goddamn, stop spawning 4 zombies 10 feet behind me when I trigger some button or event. It sucks that no matter how careful or cautious I am, the game is going to cheat and make enemies magically appear.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Byzantine posted:

It's really petty to complain about something that is extra content and doesn't hurt the game, but the overly-specific civs in Civilization 4 and 5 just rub me the wrong way.

Like, Byzantium was not a separate "civ" (though it pains me to say it). It was Rome in the medieval era. If you play as Rome, change your religion to Christianity, and move your capital to a new city called Constantinople, then BAM you're Byzantium (and especially the Byz of Justinian and Theodora's day, where Latin was still the official language).

Or the Holy Roman Empire. What the hell is the Holy Roman Empire if you're on a map with the Germans AND Romans AND Christianity is 4000 years in the future?

Brazil? Really?

Denmark and Sweden are TOTALLY SEPARATE on the scale of this game, guys, honest!

America is just as bad; they do have the excuse that it's the most powerful empire the world has ever known, so it'd be weird to totally exclude them in an empire-building game...still, Cavemen Yankees?

It'd be a pretty sparse game if it only included civilizations that were around for the entire span of actual civilization.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

kazil posted:

It'd be a pretty sparse game if it only included civilizations that were around for the entire span of actual civilization.

A civilization game with splitting civilizations might almost be kinda interesting, though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

A civilization game with splitting civilizations might almost be kinda interesting, though.

Not if you're one of the civs that historically split. Being hit with the "screw you" button as England just because its 1776 and America wants to become a thing doesn't sound fun at all.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

I know you shouldn't have to get a mod to have borderless windowed, but get OneTweak to fix alt-tabbing and give you a bit better performance. My gripe right now is that I love Mass Effect 3's gameplay and most of its characters, but EDI is a fembot that Joker is attracted to and it creeps me out.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

This is one of the things I enjoyed about Distant Worlds and Crusader Kings. If you gently caress around too much with your population they'd revolt and splinter off into their own Empire.

I've had several instances in both games where a minor revolt grew into a civilization in its own right and took over half the map.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mr E posted:

I know you shouldn't have to get a mod to have borderless windowed, but get OneTweak to fix alt-tabbing and give you a bit better performance.

I dunno, I've tried a bunch of borderless fullscreen mods and they all do weird things to the window, like Sleeping Dogs always extended past my resolution of 1920x1080 despite me setting it to that specific resolution, or Civ V not registering mouse clicks in the right place.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cleretic posted:

Skyrim's actually better about alt-tabbing than older Bethesda games. Oblivion and the Fallouts crashed immediately on alt-tabbing, and I'm pretty sure Morrowind didn't handle better.

New Vegas handles alt-tab pretty well (for me anyway) but yeah Fallout 3 will pretty much crash instantly when you do it. And pretty much anything else.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

whenever a game shows you a huge expansive map with a bunch of cool landmarks and even fleshes it out with bunch of lore that hints at awesome stuff going on there but the scope of the actual game is limited to elf forest and dwarf mountain it's a little frustrating.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

In Civ2 a nation could split if its capital was conquered and at least one other nation had already been eliminated. Obviously, this almost never happens but it was cool when it did.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Mr E posted:

I know you shouldn't have to get a mod to have borderless windowed, but get OneTweak to fix alt-tabbing and give you a bit better performance. My gripe right now is that I love Mass Effect 3's gameplay and most of its characters, but EDI is a fembot that Joker is attracted to and it creeps me out.

To be fair, he was attracted to her as an AI before she ever had a body, and part of the reason she took the body was so they could have a more standard relationship, because she also likes him. Sure, it's a little weird that he has a robot girlfriend with huge tits, but part of it is in the right place, at least.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I recently purchased the GB Megaman games as I've never played them before, I've gone through 4 of them so far, I'm trying to decide if Capcom's programmers where either very ambitious or incredibly stupid.

More than 4 sprites on the screen causes severe near unplayable lag and sprite flickering, 3 sprites creates heavy lag and 2 sprites creates minor lag, but still strong enough to eat inputs, the lag is so bad that robot masters death animation sprite flicker, so naturally they opted to add background effects to some stages as well as bosses that can toss 4 projectiles on the screen, or worse a boss that splits itself into 4 things.

I might add that the sprite limit counts Megaman himself as well as his buster shoots. :cripes:

Due to the sprite issues, most encounters are single encounters, rarely do you see more than 2 or 3 enemies at once, so they went a little retarded with stage lay-outs, and they are very strange to, they're either very difficult, almost romhack-ish in the sadistic stage design, others you could finish blindfolded and are very short, no in-between here, also despite the fact you fight the standard 8 robot masters from MM2 and onwards, the last 4 count as Wily stages, so your weapons and Rush don't get recharged within stages. :downs:

Also, the sprites are way to drat big.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm at the very end of Dust: An Elysian Tail and I feel like the game has really ground to a halt since the "go get items from four houses all spread across this map" section. It wasn't bad on its own, but the areas since seem like enemy hp/damage has scaled much faster than my own, and the maps (which seem to have ballooned in size) are just carpeted with enemies, making getting for point a to point b a real pain in the rear end. I've actually made it to the final boss but may not finish the game: I don't have many healing items and may be a little under leveled since I started just skipping as much combat as I could when it got more and more tedious, and I really don't feel like grinding out levels or gold to kill one more guy. Otherwise it has been a fun game!

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Kruller posted:

To be fair, he was attracted to her as an AI before she ever had a body, and part of the reason she took the body was so they could have a more standard relationship, because she also likes him. Sure, it's a little weird that he has a robot girlfriend with huge tits, but part of it is in the right place, at least.

On the other hand...

Smooth move, BioWare.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm at the very end of Dust: An Elysian Tail and I feel like the game has really ground to a halt since the "go get items from four houses all spread across this map" section. It wasn't bad on its own, but the areas since seem like enemy hp/damage has scaled much faster than my own, and the maps (which seem to have ballooned in size) are just carpeted with enemies, making getting for point a to point b a real pain in the rear end.
And even with the increased HP and enemy density, my problem was that the combat didn't even feel any more difficult; Spamming Dust Storm and Fire Pillars scaled ridiculously well, and once you got the rhythm down you could do it as long as you wanted.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Bishop posted:

On the other hand...

Smooth move, BioWare.

You think that's horrible? Banshees have fully modeled genitals. :barf:

For those who haven't played ME3, this is what a banshee looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

You think that's horrible? Banshees have fully modeled genitals. :barf:

For those who haven't played ME3, this is what a banshee looks like.

I dunno I think it makes them MORE scary. Why would creatures capable of ripping apart space-time with their mind be worried about something as stupid as clothing while they commit biocide?