Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Always happy to see that majoring in Japanese was the best choice. If only the studying was as bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Orv posted:

This isn't exactly what you're looking for but I'll be damned if I miss even the flimsiest of reasons to link it.

And now you owe me a new keyboard.

Quick question on Company of Heroes:
I have Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes (New Steam edition), Opposing Force and Tales of Valor in my library. I don't need the original Company of Heroes to play it, or Opposing Force, or Tales of Valor (believe the last one is a stand alone anyway) anymore, right? Something about the game/servers not working anymore? So I can just dump it in my Darkest Pits of Gaming Hell category for it never to be seen again and stick to the New Steam Edition?

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Palpek posted:

It's something I felt like posting, it's bizarre to see familiar avs of ex-regulars from the Steam thread who are now tripping over themselves posting how bad it is. It doesn't seem genuine and feels like some kind of overcompensation. I have nothing against Imp and worded it too generally, you do your thing.
I don't know what you're talking about but someone with a huge avatar shouldn't complain about overcompensation.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So... anybody have impressions? My "buy" finger is getting twitchy but that price point is enough to stall me until I get a better picture.

It's probably going to be really good when it comes out.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

And now you owe me a new keyboard.

Quick question on Company of Heroes:
I have Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes (New Steam edition), Opposing Force and Tales of Valor in my library. I don't need the original Company of Heroes to play it, or Opposing Force, or Tales of Valor (believe the last one is a stand alone anyway) anymore, right? Something about the game/servers not working anymore? So I can just dump it in my Darkest Pits of Gaming Hell category for it never to be seen again and stick to the New Steam Edition?

I believe you only need to install Company of Heroes (New Steam edition) as it will detect that you have the expansions and add that content.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PowerBeard posted:

I believe you only need to install Company of Heroes (New Steam edition) as it will detect that you have the expansions and add that content.

This is correct.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Orv posted:

This isn't exactly what you're looking for but I'll be damned if I miss even the flimsiest of reasons to link it.

That bike gang horse is the best.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

PowerBeard posted:

Pretty much. New Steam Edition is based on Steamworks, while the others are based on a matchmaking system that was shut down fairly recently. Cast the other Company of Heroes games into your Pit of Hades and never touch them again.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Why I can't view MGR: Revengeance page on Steam? Select regions only?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Palladium posted:

Maybe if you actually wrote where you live we could answer that :rolleyes:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Palpek posted:

Maybe if you actually wrote where you live we could answer that :rolleyes:

Malaysia

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Correct. That's one of the many countries you cannot buy the game in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, from what I'm seeing on Google a number of Asian countries are region locked from purchasing MG:R including Japan, Korea, India, Singapore, Malaysia.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Japan, the country Platinum and Konami are based in, cannot purchase Metal Gear Rising, a Konami game developed by Platinum. Well, ok then.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Palladium posted:

Same here, just get a friendly goon to gift it to you.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Japan, the country Platinum and Konami are based in, cannot purchase Metal Gear Rising, a Konami game developed by Platinum. Well, ok then.
Yep, hosed up but true.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just friend me and I'll help you out: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZeddNL/
(Something is cheaper here than the US for a change :vince: )

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

There isn't a :stare: big enough.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

PowerBeard posted:

There isn't a :stare: big enough.

There's a surprisingly large number of games that are unavailable in Steam in Japan. Amusingly, most of the games published by Japanese companies are unavailable in Japan, including Sega and Capcom.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I might be wrong but isn't that because they distribute it themselves in those countries? Or maybe not themselves, but definitely not via Steam.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
There needs to be a rule in place where a game devs game should be made available in their home country. This reminds me of the incident in which CD Project Red wasn't going to have The Witcher 3 available for the XBone in Poland because of that stupid 30 countries thing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Zedd posted:

Just friend me and I'll help you out: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZeddNL/
(Something is cheaper here than the US for a change :vince: )
Don't do it! He won't be able to redeem the gift, the region lock is really hardcore for the game.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

lordfrikk posted:

I might be wrong but isn't that because they distribute it themselves in those countries? Or maybe not themselves, but definitely not via Steam.

It's probably because the PC market is so looked down upon over there. Not entirely sure why they don't even sell their stuff in the English only digital only form.

^Oh yeah, and Metal Gear Rising is one of the new region-locked games where you'll have to VPN to activate the game.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Delusibeta posted:

It's probably because the PC market is so looked down upon over there. Not entirely sure why they don't even sell their stuff in the English only digital only form.

^Oh yeah, and Metal Gear Rising is one of the new region-locked games where you'll have to VPN to activate the game.

Wait, what? I thought the Skyrim modding scene is surprisingly huge in Nipponland.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Palpek posted:

Don't do it! He won't be able to redeem the gift, the region lock is really hardcore for the game.

Pretty sure he can, as long as Zedd didn't move to Russia or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Unbearable posted:

Pretty sure he can, as long as Zedd didn't move to Russia or something.
Google tells me the gifts from other regions don't work with MG:R just like with Wolfenstein. This isn't the usual region locking thing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Palpek posted:

Oh it's that kind of lock. I didn't know that.
Oh well, I tried to help. :unsmith:

Hows the Witcher 3 lockdown going btw? I heard they cracked down hard on that game a while ago.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

PowerBeard posted:

Orv posted:

This is correct.

Delusibeta posted:

Pretty much. New Steam Edition is based on Steamworks, while the others are based on a matchmaking system that was shut down fairly recently. Cast the other Company of Heroes games into your Pit of Hades and never touch them again.

Thanks.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
You know what would be awesome? If I had known before buying during a sale that I would have to sign up for some sketchy third party service with my e-mail address to be able to play at all! Welp, I was jonesing for something like Aerobiz, but looks like I'm not playing Airline Tycoon II after all since I'm not desperate enough to want even more stupid spam in my life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

You know what would be awesome? If I had known before buying during a sale that I would have to sign up for some sketchy third party service with my e-mail address to be able to play at all! Welp, I was jonesing for something like Aerobiz, but looks like I'm not playing Airline Tycoon II after all since I'm not desperate enough to want even more stupid spam in my life.
Couldn't you just make a email address you'll never use again?

I mean, it's still a pain, but it takes like one minute.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Palpek posted:

Google tells me the gifts from other regions don't work with MG:R just like with Wolfenstein. This isn't the usual region locking thing.

Looks normal to me. PurchaseRestrictedCountries flag only stops you from activating keys without VPN and buying the game from the store. Gift activation works fine.
AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting doesn't restrict all cross region trading, just activating the stuff bought from cheaper countries.

Wolfenstein uses the prohibitrunincountries flag to stop Germans from playing it. Only way for them to get an uncensored non-region locked Steam copy is getting the QuakeCon pack gifted from outside Germany.

Unbearable fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 19, 2014

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mukaikubo posted:

You know, I have a separate email account I keep specifically for public use. Open it once in a while to click a verification link or something, and then who cares if it gets filled up with spam in the meantime.

I used to use my edu account as a strictly private one, but it ended up becoming a spam target somehow. I'm pretty sure it was my university that sold it out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaming's most popular walking simulators (which have inappropriate, lovely gameplay that gets in the way of that sweet terminal hacking) Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are on sale today for $2.49 each.

The GOTY version of each game is $6.79. Separately, DLC is 50% off rather than 75% off.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Palladium posted:

Wait, what? I thought the Skyrim modding scene is surprisingly huge in Nipponland.

Yes but paying attention to that would involve Japanese companies being logical and thoughtful, which is something that they most certainly are not. When Japanese companies DO allow their games to be sold on Steam you get a Square Enix type situation where the games cost more than they do in the US or EU and the Japanese language packs required to play the games in Japanese cost more than they do in the US or EU too!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright I'm almost 20% into Strider and it's already my top Metroidvania on Steam, knocking off Guacamelee. The only game I've ever played with sword swinging as fast as Strider's is Ys Origin. Man I love to wail on enemies in this game. And the visuals looked drab in screenshots but it really is a nice looking game. I like that even little hidden rooms and plain corridors have cool design to them. They could've just been featureless "here's a health upgrade" rooms but sometimes it's like a library or an apartment or whatever. It's cool.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Palladium posted:

It's disproportionately large compared to the customer base. I guess you can say that the PC gamers there are more dedicated on average, which makes sense. A smart video game company would find a way to leverage that dedication. The Japanese industry just doesn't give a poo poo. There are still a lot of companies and executives over there who think PCs are the source of all evil and somehow having a digital version available will increase piracy. Because downloading = piracy. Most of the PC publishing that happens with companies like Square Enix and Sega happen almost exclusively within their US branches, often to the disdain of their Japanese branches.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Alright I'm almost 20% into Strider and it's already my top Metroidvania on Steam, knocking off Guacamelee. The only game I've ever played with sword swinging as fast as Strider's is Ys Origin. Man I love to wail on enemies in this game. And the visuals looked drab in screenshots but it really is a nice looking game. I like that even little hidden rooms and plain corridors have cool design to them. They could've just been featureless "here's a health upgrade" rooms but sometimes it's like a library or an apartment or whatever. It's cool.

I'm enjoying Strider a lot due to it's metroidvanianess but what I find myself wondering is: am I going to be coming back to these earlier areas naturally later with new abilities (I can see areas I can't reach yet) or is each area gone through in a linear fashion w/ the storyline?

i.e. A->B->C->D->E->yay you win game

or A->B->C->B->D->A->E->win game

not looking for spoilers, but it will change how many nooks and crannys I poke through now vs the next time(s) I'm coming through

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

mr. nobody posted:

I'm enjoying Strider a lot due to it's metroidvanianess but what I find myself wondering is: am I going to be coming back to these earlier areas naturally later with new abilities (I can see areas I can't reach yet) or is each area gone through in a linear fashion w/ the storyline?

i.e. A->B->C->D->E->yay you win game

or A->B->C->B->D->A->E->win game

not looking for spoilers, but it will change how many nooks and crannys I poke through now vs the next time(s) I'm coming through

It's mainly linear with some side paths for abilities you'll get later in the game. You'll go back to a certain area with new abilities, but the majority of backtracking you have to just decide to do on your own.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Oh goddammit I got hit with that black flag save bug. Got up to unlocking the Jackdaw and boom turns out nothing saved since the opening. Ugh.

Don't suppose anyone has any saves in similar areas? Even a few areas ahead is fine, I've completed up to the pirate island you upgrade on xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Sonel posted:

It's mainly linear with some side paths for abilities you'll get later in the game. You'll go back to a certain area with new abilities, but the majority of backtracking you have to just decide to do on your own.

Thanks a bunch!

• Locked thread