Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Yeah in 2.1 it shows up in the military warehouse stash stuff files, but I deffo found it in the tent the first time I played 2.1. I dunno why I'm not seeing it anywhere when I poke around in the txt files for jupiter though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

A Great Supporter of Mounty Bob

Monolith. posted:

It's awesome. High damage guns, good graphics, unique models, and other good stuff. Make sure you read their moddb page all the way though as you need to remove a couple specific things like turning your steam overlay off and removing two .dll files otherwise it willc rash every time you try and run it.

Also you'll have to adapt to not being able to see your ammo count and having to lower your gun to use medkits and bandages.

I'm not too far off finishing CoP now so i'll jump on that next, probably.
I still can't get on with Clear Sky. It feels horribly clunky buggy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's a little known fact that Vincent van Gogh was a psychic and predicted a huge calamity that would befall mankind. Just before he died during his suicide he said 'la tristesse durera'

It is only in modern times that we truly understood what he meant. He was taking about Misery.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
You really don't like Misery, huh.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Monolith. posted:

You really don't like Misery, huh.

He tried the mod and had a miserable time :downsrim:

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

A Great Supporter of Mounty Bob

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

He tried the mod and had a miserable time :downsrim:

Get out of here, Stalker.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I managed to get Shoker working. I had forgotten that telling Steam to delete local content was not nearly the same as a fresh install. Valley of Whispers seems alright. While the gun mechanics are very different and the buggy movement is a very good way to die, a mutant rat running on a wheel might be my new favorite Stalker modding thing.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 6, 2014

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
edit; I'm dumb, SMG 2.2 installed perfectly.

I am enjoying this immensely but it sure doesn't work well for my 3 monitor setup for UI access. Sort of hard to read some of the finer details. I might have to get my hands dirty modding this game just to help scale ui, if it isn't too hard.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 8, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I just finished Lost Alpha on the 1.3001 patch, so it is a completable game. It's also really good and very much worth the download. It's quickly become my favourite STALKER, trumping both SoC and CoP. They just released their 1.3002 patch with a lot of bug fixes too, so no time like the present to get in on it. Reminder that it's standalone and 100% free, so you really have no excuse to pass it up.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
The new LA patch has been great for me so far. I stopped at Agroprom on the last patch, but I put in about 3.5hrs this morning and no crashes or anything really bad. Stashes are normal again and showing up, PDA working better. I have the settings cranked and it's now smooth all throughout unlike last patch. They really need to add some loving ambient lighting though. Game looks amazing, but anywhere inside has deep black shadows and dark as hell (with blood red lighting from fire sources). The emissions seemed a little visually bugged, but maybe that was because I was far out in the Cordon?

Aside from that, only ai bugs I've seen has been the group of stalkers camping by the trailer outside of the bandit camp (always rocking music all day) seem to get caught on geometry at times they do decide to get off their asses. And fleshes are immediately vicious as gently caress.

Aside from that, the new patch has been well worth the wait so far (I'm sure something else will crop up down the road...this is merely the Cordon after all.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does LA have an upgrade system at all, or is it purely SHOC style? On that note, any new guns?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Fosson posted:

They really need to add some loving ambient lighting though. Game looks amazing, but anywhere inside has deep black shadows and dark as hell (with blood red lighting from fire sources). The emissions seemed a little visually bugged, but maybe that was because I was far out in the Cordon?

I love/hated the complete lack of ambient light too. It made it pretty atmospheric in most cases, but it was tense when I was at the bottom of a lab without batteries and my torch was dying. Resource management is a lot of the game afterall.

I only seen one unscripted emission, and since I was way out in the middle of Dark Valley and just decided to just have a look, the trees swaying around was pretty impressive.

Mordja posted:

Does LA have an upgrade system at all, or is it purely SHOC style? On that note, any new guns?

The upgrade system seems to be the same as CS/CoP's. Admittably I didn't actually use it much (both out of fear of crashing and I was going for the quantity over quality route for weapons) but the buttons and upgrade trees seemed the same. No new guns, but the various alpha guns are there, like the TOZ 34 and the BM 16.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 13, 2014

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
That's how I feel about the lack of ambient light as well. It looks amazing outside and down in the tunnels or underground. But it's a pain in the rear end when you're in a firefight at the car park or the train station at garbage and needing a flashlight, all while the light coming through is bright and sunny.

As for emissions I had one in garbage day 2, and today with the new patch I had a psy-storm in the evening that I kept dying to (checking out the effects...first time nothing, second time flashes of energy). Third time I loaded though it switched to a full on blowout and seemed to remain. No neat lightning effects or anything that I had in garbage a few weeks ago (that still wasn't as good as normal Atmosfear). Also this patch seemed to bring back the countdown timer for emissions which is immersion breaking.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It may be immersion breaking, but it does let you know how screwed you are. Like in my case there wasn't anywhere within 30 seconds that would've been adequate cover. I'm not sure of the actual nature of the blowout, but I hid behind a tree and survived the first wave, then the second wave instakilled me. I'm assuming they upped the frequency of emmisions in the latest patch, which is probably for the better since I only seen one.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
They can be some of the most thrilling parts of the game, especially since you might not know they're coming and you're unprepared. The 30 second timer before it even starts up is a little too much, I think. In CoP you just see and hear it, and then the sirens sound. You still have a minute or two to find cover, but that might be a cave corner surrounded by roaming anomalies or something. OGSE's isn't as flashy as Atmosfear but there are a lot of creepy after effects, and you generally get a short PDA warning from fellow stalkers which is :3:

The "fun" of it is the oh poo poo moment and finding some sort of cover...even if that cover is a small factory room and shared with a bunch of bandits taking cover with you. "Grenade soon stalkers!" :getin:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fosson posted:

The "fun" of it is the oh poo poo moment and finding some sort of cover...even if that cover is a small factory room and shared with a bunch of bandits taking cover with you. "Grenade soon stalkers!" :getin:
This can work out, actually. I remember once in CoP, an emission hit while I was at a neutral bandit camp, so all 20 or so of the bandits huddled into a small building that was the only nearby cover. Said building had a layout consisting of 1 tiny room with no cover and 1 somewhat larger room with a decent amount of cars and crates and such for cover. I had an upgraded SPAS-12.
I think you can guess what happened next. :black101:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Fosson posted:

This happened to me in CoP and it was glorious. Bandits, meet F1 grenade.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
That is how it was me at the factory in Zaton. I hid in the office, and 5 bandits ran in and crowded the area. After about 30 seconds I thought "gently caress this" and stepped out to toss a grenade in the room. I knew what would happen after the blowout :colbert:

Another great time is being in the other ship with stalkers when an emission hits (with atmosphere so you get the zombification) and fighting off the incoming bandits running for cover. Then there are a few zombified stalkers everyone shoots at. The Zone should be unforgiving.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I was reading up on the Complete mod for SoC, and I see that it had/has a teleport option. I have the latest ZRP and don't see any option like that and since I'm a completionists, I have to keep slogging back to the start to turn in quests. I know I could just ignore it, but it's a curse. Is there any way to add even a few fast travel or teleport spots to ZRP or through another mod?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
ZRP has teleports. I forget if you need to activate debug mode of not, but open the main menu and I believe it's ctrl t to open teleports and ctrl z to open level select.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

If anyone's playing on the new patch and has a got a save just before the Mon questline in Lost Alpha, I'd be really grateful if you could upload it somewhere. I missed out before since it was bugged.

The camera did a really elegant pan around ... a dead Monolith Patriarch. Cheers guys!

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Ddraig posted:

ZRP has teleports. I forget if you need to activate debug mode of not, but open the main menu and I believe it's ctrl t to open teleports and ctrl z to open level select.

Thanks. I'll check it out in a bit; that would remove pretty much my last annoyance with the game. I totally get the immersion part, but man, that can get tedious sometimes.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

:stonk: :cthulhu:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

What mod is that?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Я не знаю, it came from the official S.T.A.L.K.E.R facebook.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Monolith. posted:

What mod is that?

That's SGM 2.2 (dunno if it's there in earlier versions). There's a certain point in Dark Valley, where you have a mission to go into Lab X18 to get something--I think it was some hidden documents. When you get there you greeted by gun-toting bloodsuckers (pictured) and snorks (who have apparently learned to walk upright and shoot). There's a ton of the guys as well, and they home in on you from across the building, so you could pretty much sit in a closet and gun them down as they swamped you. After you found those documents you ran smack into a mutant based on the Librarians from the Metro series and boy were those guys a pain to deal with.

SGM made some interesting design decisions, is what I'm saying here.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

SGM made some interesting design decisions, is what I'm saying here.

For all of SGM's incredible faults, that experience was great. I was already scared because of the added in bloodsucker/snork men, but I was downright terrified when I met the Librarian thing. A friend was watching me play this and thought I was hamming the experience all up since he knows I play a lot, but nope that was completely new to me and came out of the left field.

I just wish that mod figured out what it wanted to be. I've liked SGM back to 1.7, but 2.2's alternate start intro had to be the most badly designed thing ever, and some of those extra maps were all sorts of funky and crash prone.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One of the funnier things I've seen is a mod that pretty much gives the pseudogiant the snork animations, so it will kick with its legs and even jump at you.

It would have been cool if it landing would do the shockwave attack, but alas.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Avocados posted:

For all of SGM's incredible faults, that experience was great. I was already scared because of the added in bloodsucker/snork men, but I was downright terrified when I met the Librarian thing. A friend was watching me play this and thought I was hamming the experience all up since he knows I play a lot, but nope that was completely new to me and came out of the left field.

I just wish that mod figured out what it wanted to be. I've liked SGM back to 1.7, but 2.2's alternate start intro had to be the most badly designed thing ever, and some of those extra maps were all sorts of funky and crash prone.

Yeah, I freaked out when I first saw that thing. It didn't help that I over-encumbered to the point that I could barely move at all. And it wouldn't die. Not even after I shot it twice with a Gauss gun. I had to futz around with the files for the knife to make it crazy high-damage (I think I changed the values by a couple of decimal places) just so I could make it out of that place/into it when I came back for a later mission.

SGM is definitely a case of a mod that reached far to the point that the new content was still seriously flawed. And yeah, that opening in 2.2 was some serious bullshit. Overall, a really good experience, though. I think I'm going to dust it off now and play again...

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 20, 2014

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I finally got myself a nice gaming machine a while ago and I think I might try SoC or even Clear Sky again. It's been years now, and I've never been able to run them on high settings.

I thought about trying the Misery mod but maybe that's a bad idea. It's fun watching people flail about and die over and over trying to play it on youtube but I don't think it would be that fun to actually play. Plus I don't really like the mods that make the guns super accurate and powerful. I think I might try a nice graphics mod like Atmosfear or something that doesn't change the gameplay at all.

This post kinda summed up how I feel:

your evil twin posted:

That's a criticism I don't undersand. In most videogames I've always felt that four or five bullets in the body feels about right. I guess that's because of years of playing FPS games like the Half-Life franchise. The enemies never felt bullet-spongey to me.

I always figure that if an enemy is wearing body armour or is some kind of alien or mutant creature then it is reasonable for them to be able to withstand several bullets.

Of course a headshot should be instantly lethal, unless they are wearing some kind of protection like a mask or helmet. (I know that in reality a helmet protects from shrapnel etc but can't save you from a bullet, but its reasonable in videogameland. Especially if it is some fancy sci-fi exosuit or something.)

If enemies die from 1 or 2 bullets to the body, then how can you have fun firefights? I like it when enemies yell in pain and run off to find cover and stuff. If they die in one or two bullets, you just mow them all down and they don't get to show off any interesting AI. No-one would have been impressed by Half-Life 1's revolutionary AI for the human grunts if the player had been able to mow them down before they hand a chance to react.

I love the long, running gunfights you can get into in these games. Some of my favorite firefights were the ones really early on in vanilla SoC, when both you and your enemies are running around popping away at each other with the really inaccurate pistols and shotguns you start out with. You might have to actually worry about ammo consumption, and you can watch how the AI behaves. You can trick them and lure them out to an area where they can be flanked. I don't think it would be as much fun if you can just shoot them down instantly the moment you see them.

Making the guns super powerful seems even less realistic to me in a way. I read about real-life gunfights every now and then that last for ages with no one even being hit at all. Real people, often trained police officers, can't seem to hit a loving thing if the other guy is more than 10 feet away, and this is a game about a bunch of drunk Russians running around in the wilderness spraying bullets at each other with rusty old piece of poo poo weapons.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I like bullet sponge enemies the same way Ddraig likes Misery.

It's fun because one misstep and I'm dead just like them. There's a very fine balance to all this and it's easy to step on either side of the line. I don't know, I think Autumn Aurora 2.2's difficulty on Master is pretty much a good balance of challenge and fun.

Ultimately I think its because I played a lot of Halo as a kid and I hated how many bullets it took to kill people with the assault rifle.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Monolith. posted:

I like bullet sponge enemies the same way Ddraig likes Misery.

It's fun because one misstep and I'm dead just like them. There's a very fine balance to all this and it's easy to step on either side of the line. I don't know, I think Autumn Aurora 2.2's difficulty on Master is pretty much a good balance of challenge and fun.

Ultimately I think its because I played a lot of Halo as a kid and I hated how many bullets it took to kill people with the assault rifle.

Another thing I don't like about that is that it turns it into a quicksave/quickload fest. If you're not dying and quickloading all the time then you're sneaking around blowing all the AIs away before they have a chance to react.

Maybe I just haven't played around with those mods enough, or I suck at them. I suppose I can see why some people would enjoy them. You would have to creep around more and snipe and surprise the enemy I guess. My favorite way to play this game though is to drink lots of beer and then run around getting into big firefights and unloading entire mags in the general direction of the enemy while chucking grenades left and right.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Hey is Atmosfear compatible with Clear Sky Complete? I Googled it and found some guy saying "sure man just install complete first" but now the thing won't even get to the menu and uninstalling atmosfear didn't help.

EDIT: Apparently Clear Skies includes it

Roman fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 22, 2014

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I have an odd question that anyone who speaks Russian could help answer: There's no women in the 3 games, but is there anything even referring to anything feminine? Even a porno mag laying around? Like, even a pronoun? IIRC I don't think anyone even referred to the boats as "she" or anything like that.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Roman posted:

I have an odd question that anyone who speaks Russian could help answer: There's no women in the 3 games, but is there anything even referring to anything feminine? Even a porno mag laying around? Like, even a pronoun? IIRC I don't think anyone even referred to the boats as "she" or anything like that.

Absolutely nothing AFAIK, though some mods for CoP add dialogue options for NPCs discussing the lack of women in the Zone, and stalkers' resulting adventures. I'm pretty sure there's other CoP mods that add woman NPCs, but whether they've been translated into English, or even completed, I don't know.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Finally had some time to fiddle with stalker again, still SGM 2.2. Is the incredibly opaqueness of the added quests just a translation thing or what? I think this one about bombs mentioned "check where stalkers go" which...is not helpful. It being a translation thing would be why some of the questions showup without titles or information as well I guess?

Also goddamn it I think the noah mutant wave deal still causes some save problems but I'm not completely sure. Gonna find out if uncle yars quest still breaks his pathing after I get done with the clear sky fellows.

Also I still can't figure out why my item stash additions don't work. Do they only generate at the start of the game?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Synnr posted:

Finally had some time to fiddle with stalker again, still SGM 2.2. Is the incredibly opaqueness of the added quests just a translation thing or what? I think this one about bombs mentioned "check where stalkers go" which...is not helpful. It being a translation thing would be why some of the questions showup without titles or information as well I guess?

No, SGM 2.2 is just not an extremely high-quality mod. It adds a ton of content, sure, but some of that content just feels sort of awkwardly jammed in there at best. There's a number of missions that are really opaque and hard to figure out.

quote:

Also goddamn it I think the noah mutant wave deal still causes some save problems but I'm not completely sure. Gonna find out if uncle yars quest still breaks his pathing after I get done with the clear sky fellows.

I can't help you here, sorry :( If it helps, maybe try doing the Wave after you get the Gauss gun? That's what I did, and I didn't get any save corruption problems.

quote:

Also I still can't figure out why my item stash additions don't work. Do they only generate at the start of the game?

What, you mean making your own stashes? Again, I can't help much here, but FWIW I remember making my own stashes a couple of times in the late game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Roman posted:

The STALKER universe doesn't have "women" in it. Men reproduce by inseminating mud in a joyless asexual exercise.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

No, SGM 2.2 is just not an extremely high-quality mod. It adds a ton of content, sure, but some of that content just feels sort of awkwardly jammed in there at best. There's a number of missions that are really opaque and hard to figure out.
I can't help you here, sorry :( If it helps, maybe try doing the Wave after you get the Gauss gun? That's what I did, and I didn't get any save corruption problems.
What, you mean making your own stashes? Again, I can't help much here, but FWIW I remember making my own stashes a couple of times in the late game.

Yeah its definitely not..amazing, but I wanted to hunt alpha squads and try out the new areas. I finally got some of the bombs to show up but these aren't really stalker places. I dunno. As to the wave thing, it didn't do much at completely in 2.1 so I just reverted and didn't bother trying to do it. Just extra stalkers around with extra guns now! Not sure why the gauss rifle kept you safe!

As to the stash thing, I just was trying to add the flamethrower back where it was in 2.1. I'm PRETTY sure I found the jupiter stash it was in (though the stash item listed was only half of what I found), but it doesn't want to show up in there. Its one of the secret ones, but I ended up pasting the flamethrower item stuff into several locations that are boxes and open-world and haven't seen it show up. It shows up in the military base and they sell fuel, so it must still be in the game as a functional item! I dunno whats up with it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The STALKER universe doesn't have "women" in it. Men reproduce by inseminating mud in a joyless asexual exercise.

I'd hardly call sex with a bloodsucker joyless.

Now sex with a mutant from the Zone, that's a little different. What were we talking about again?