Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

...with bonus pseudo-Bob Dobbs in the video

Does "Pre-internet weird culture" like the Church of the Subgenius count as obsolete? To what extent can there be in-jokes like that when anybody can GIS Bob and find out the whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BuddyChrist posted:

paper clips are easy to remove and reuse but don't hold well.

As someone who has had to deal with a lot of paperwork in the past seven or so years, the main problem with paper clips as opposed to staples isn't that they don't hold well (though they don't) but the fact that they will neatly snag up sheets that are not supposed to go together, resulting in hilarious 40000 € gently caress-ups.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Antifreeze Head posted:

:psyduck: I'm confused, but probably shouldn't be.

Are you agreeing or trying to say that Yes albums are somehow support or oppose the statement?

If the later, could you expand upon the point some? I can sort see the argument I guess since they shuffled the lineup some and things changed drastically then shuffled it again and kind of became a combination of the two earlier sounds yet still something else.
He's just agreeing with me, you huge dork. That is the definition of both the words "emptyquoting" and "yes" (which sometimes is actually not used in reference to the band).

On the other hand, the new Yes album is so bad that it probably works as a case against albums anyway, and music as a whole. :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jerry Cotton posted:

...but the fact that they will neatly snag up sheets that are not supposed to go together, resulting in hilarious 40000 € gently caress-ups.

Even if you have to keep details anonymous I'd love to hear this story :allears:

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Sham bam bamina! posted:

On the other hand, the new Yes album is so bad that it probably works as a case against albums anyway, and music as a whole. :v:

I've yet to see a single 70s band release a recent album that didn't suck. Not getting my hopes up for the new Pink Floyd one.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

karl fungus posted:

I've yet to see a single 70s band release a recent album that didn't suck. Not getting my hopes up for the new Pink Floyd one.
Rush is still doing pretty well.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He's just agreeing with me, you huge dork. That is the definition of both the words "emptyquoting" and "yes" (which sometimes is actually not used in reference to the band).

Ditto.

Also,

Funzo posted:

So they're less useful binder clips? I had never even heard of those before.

Ya know how binder clips have those handles to allow you to pry them open? Take those off and try to apply it. Welcome to clam clips.

They were adopted by the US Navy, probably other branches of the military too, so if you work for the massive bureaucracy that is the US government you'll probably see them too.

karl fungus posted:

Not that Roger Waters is a genius or anything, but given Pink Floyd's track record without him I'm not expecting greatness. Instead I'll hope to be pleasantly suprised. After the live 8 thing I kind of hoped they could come together, but it sounded like even that was strained.

What is it about tension and strife in a band that seems to make them produce a better product?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Remulak posted:

Does "Pre-internet weird culture" like the Church of the Subgenius count as obsolete? To what extent can there be in-jokes like that when anybody can GIS Bob and find out the whole thing?

Frankly, you'd have to be aware of the name Bob Dobbs and/or that this random 1950's-looking, pipe-smoking, chainsaw-wielding dude in this particular Weird Al music video is a reference to a specific thing rather than just some goofy throwaway imagery to google it, and I find it highly unlikely that someone is going to randomly come across that sort of information without either being into Devo and/or Weird Al to be interested in trivia about them or knowing someone else who is that interested. So no, I'd say in-jokes like that aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tracula posted:

Even if you have to keep details anonymous I'd love to hear this story :allears:

It's pretty much just "stack of documents gets shuffled around, one-page documents get snagged in multi-page documents (or multiple documents) held together with paper clips, people don't check everything in a given bundle of documents is meant for the same customer, some local contractor's stuff ends up being air-shipped to Cyprus and/or some stuff that should've left in a container to Lithuania ends up in the back of some dude's van.". The usual. Not always that dramatic but it all kept adding up so much that I just took to throwing away any loose paperclips or boxes of paperclips I found. (A 40000€ gently caress-up isn't even particularly major in this business. Unless it can't be corrected by the end of the fiscal year.)

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Jerry Cotton posted:

Where's the blabbing give us the blabbing!

whoops, here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HLFDgVKUnE

Kind of reminds me of Ulililia vids. I honestly don't care at all what they are talking about, but it's kinda cool and oh okay I guess I'll watch that... where did the last 15 minutes go?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Remulak posted:

"Bob" may be a charlatan, liar, thief and philanderer but in today's hustle-bustle world he's everything but obsolete :colbert:

It's also the only thing I've found that will make born-again co-workers quit witnessing to me.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Video of a guy with an old modem from 1964: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9dpXHnJXaE

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Zeether posted:

Video of a guy with an old modem from 1964: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9dpXHnJXaE

SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
In the same vein, this is an example of how a long-distance call was made in 1954. Adjusting for inflation, this call would have cost around $12/minute in current dollars.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"Bob" may be a charlatan, liar, thief and philanderer but in today's hustle-bustle world he's everything but obsolete :colbert:

It's also the only thing I've found that will make born-again co-workers quit witnessing to me.

Well, it is the best of all the One True Religions.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

madpanda posted:

This probably got posted before but whatever

The Sega Ir-7000 Communicator. This thing had basic pda functions and this battle mode which was like a very simple pokemon type game that I think had leveling, and if you had 2 of these devices you could play over IR which was very wicked.

mrkillboy posted:

A guy I knew in high school brought this thing to school a couple of times and showed off the game to our group of friends. I seem to recall that we were all pretty impressed by it but he would never let us actually play it for ourselves.

Oh man, I must have spent a good fifteen or so years trying to find out what the hell this thing actually was; I didn't realize Sega put it out and there was also a bunch of other similarly colored basic PDAs for teens out at the time so apart from the game it didn't exactly stand out. So thanks thread, I guess.

Mine still works! It runs on two AAA batteries and has a third CR2032 lithium battery that powers the built-in clock and keeps the memory going even if the AAAs punk out.

It actually was pretty useful for its time way back in 1994. It had a full calendar, world clock, settable alarm, currency converter, random fortune teller, and matchmaker functions.

God knows what they used for an algorithm, but you would enter your birthday, then that of your SO, and it would tell you how compatible you were on a scale of 1-10 hearts then it'd say some random statement about the partner.

That guy in high school probably didn't want you scrolling through their phone database. It had a public and a passworded phone database.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Glorious People's republic?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That red keyboard is a Famiclone (one of those sloppy NES on a chip deals), probably with some knockoff Windows-esque software on the cartridge.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Here's another post about some mildly-interesting mid-twentieth-century crap I own. In the mid 1930s, the Homer Laughlin China Company, a pottery maker based in West Virginia, introduced their new line of dinnerware, called Fiesta. It's still made today, though there was a hiatus in production from the mid 70s-mid 80s. They made a ton of different shapes, from ashtrays and egg cups to enormous serving platters and specialty items, all available in different colors. The various shapes were made, discontinued, and new ones introduced as peoples' taste in food changed over the years. The idea was you could set a table with a lot of pieces in different colors, but it would still look decent together.

In 1936, the best way to make a rich red-orange glaze relied on one ingredient: raw uranium metal. (Edit: I was working off memory and was wrong, it was not uranium metal but was an oxide of uranium. thank you gents for the correction.)

Here's a bowl I picked up a while back, it's from circa 1936-1938.

This color was abandoned around 1942, because the United States had a better use for uranium than glazing plates. At some point the US government took Homer Laughlin's uranium supply for unspecified reasons which we now know was the Manhattan Project. Later they made Fiesta ware with depleted uranium from industrial sources.

I picked up this bowl earlier this year in rural Georgia, hoping to make some money off it. A few years ago any red Fiesta piece was worth ~$75 since there was an interest in them for some reason. It's currently worth little more than the $10 I paid for it but is another cool little curiosity. Red Fiesta always was more expensive than the other colors, and to this day the color in certain patterns, especially those that weren't particularly popular can command a large premium over the same piece in a more common color.

It's still apparently pretty radioactive, but since the uranium is sealed in glaze it's not dangerous to have around and only emits alpha (?) particles which can't penetrate the body, so it's relatively safe. Not sure on the whole physics of that and don't really care; you can research that if you do.

Hope this was moderately enlightening.

pants in my pants has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Jul 26, 2014

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

two forty posted:

In 1936, the best way to make a rich red-orange glaze relied on one ingredient: raw uranium metal.
Uranium dioxide. :eng101:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Uranium is an alpha emitter; a bunch of things below it on the decay chain are beta minus emitters and many forms of alpha/beta decay are followed up by gamma emission due to the daughter particle being left in an excited state; for instance Cobalt-60 is a beta minus emitter but it is manufactured specifically for the fact that it emits two gamma rays immediately after decay, making it good for situations where you need gamma rays like radiation therapy.

Oddly enough I just finalized a design for a tiny and cheap Geiger counter and throughout development I used shards of old Fiestaware to test it out.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This almost feel like a sort of technology that never was and I might be misremembering it: Tom Laughlin, I think, tried to promote a home video distribution plan that pretty much was paperboys delivering VHS tapes.

I guess the notion was a proto-Netflix, in a way. You'd subscribe to a service and a neighborhood kid would come around on a schedule and drop off and pick up movies from your home. They imagined it would have picked up really quickly since I think the time they were pitching it that newspapers were still very popular for home delivery.

I can't find anything on it, now. I used to think I might have seen it referenced on the Billy Jack website, but there's almost literally nothing there now but a photo and a link to an estate sale.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Glorious People's republic?

Bottom three are soviet stuff, Нафаня is a ZX80 clone, БК01Ц is a production made version of a hobbyist DIY PC based on a soviet i8080 clone from the 1980s.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

And as someone else pointed out, his style parodies are way way better and don't age as badly as his song parodies. Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnapb-30hA

Is this a parody of "the White Stripes"?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

This almost feel like a sort of technology that never was and I might be misremembering it: Tom Laughlin, I think, tried to promote a home video distribution plan that pretty much was paperboys delivering VHS tapes.

I guess the notion was a proto-Netflix, in a way. You'd subscribe to a service and a neighborhood kid would come around on a schedule and drop off and pick up movies from your home. They imagined it would have picked up really quickly since I think the time they were pitching it that newspapers were still very popular for home delivery.
I worked at a web hosting company in the early noughties and one of our larger customers was a service that did basically that but with DVDs. It was a subscription library where you paid something like $25 per month and you could borrow a couple of DVDs at a time. You selected what movies you wanted on their web site and they were sent to you by post along with a return envelope. Once you returned the DVDs you could select new ones.

Iirc they were pretty successful until streaming services became good enough and killed their business model.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

two forty posted:

This color was abandoned around 1942, because the United States had a better use for uranium than glazing plates. At some point the US government took Homer Laughlin's uranium supply for unspecified reasons which we now know was the Manhattan Project. Later they made Fiesta ware with depleted uranium from industrial sources.
It's still apparently pretty radioactive, but since the uranium is sealed in glaze it's not dangerous to have around and only emits alpha (?) particles which can't penetrate the body, so it's relatively safe. Not sure on the whole physics of that and don't really care; you can research that if you do.

They can't penetrate the body, no, but if they get in through other means, like, say...injestion...they can be dangerous.

But I'm sure there's no need to worry about ingesting alpha particles from things you put your food on, right?

That being said, my mom has a metric poo poo-ton of Fiesta-ware. I'm 90% sure it's all from after my parents were married (possibly gotten as wedding gifts?) so sometimes in the 70's before they halted production in those years.

Is it only the red color that has uranium in it? For some reason, I thought I remember hearing that the yellow color was slightly radioactive as well from my high school chemistry class.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

two forty posted:

In 1936, the best way to make a rich red-orange glaze relied on one ingredient: raw uranium metal.

Nah. Uranium oxide. It's yellow (or black), uranium metal's just metallic-colored and if you tried to grind it fine enough to use in a glaze it'd burst into flame and turn into uranium oxide anyway.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

b0nes posted:

Is this a parody of "the White Stripes"?

Yes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My grandma used to really like orange fiestaware, maybe it was red, hmm.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

karl fungus posted:

Deep Purple's last two albums have been great. Also Black Sabbath's reformation album got many good reviews. On an individual level, Bob Dylan has been on a rare run of form and I've still to hear anything by Paul Weller that wasn't worth listening to.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

DrBouvenstein posted:

They can't penetrate the body, no, but if they get in through other means, like, say...injestion...they can be dangerous.

But I'm sure there's no need to worry about ingesting alpha particles from things you put your food on, right?

That being said, my mom has a metric poo poo-ton of Fiesta-ware. I'm 90% sure it's all from after my parents were married (possibly gotten as wedding gifts?) so sometimes in the 70's before they halted production in those years.

Is it only the red color that has uranium in it? For some reason, I thought I remember hearing that the yellow color was slightly radioactive as well from my high school chemistry class.

Unless you are grinding up the plate or eating something very acidic off it you aren't going to ingest anything.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Irradiation posted:

Unless you are grinding up the plate or eating something very acidic off it you aren't going to ingest anything.
I'm certain I can trust Irradiation to keep me safe from eating uranium.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DrBouvenstein posted:

Eating alpha particles isn't the issue; if it's emitted and caught in your food it's just helium at that point. The vast majority of helium on Earth is from alpha decay from uranium and thorium.

It's if something happens to turn the glaze into a powder and then you eat that and the alpha particles are emitted right into your internal organs is when it becomes an issue. Also the fact that uranium itself and a bunch of things on the U-238 decay chain (radioactive isotopes of lead, mercury, thorium) are heavy metals and you don't really want those in your body either.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BattleMaster posted:

It's if something happens to turn the glaze into a powder and then you eat that and the alpha particles are emitted right into your internal organs is when it becomes an issue. Also the fact that uranium itself and a bunch of things on the U-238 decay chain (radioactive isotopes of lead, mercury, thorium) are heavy metals and you don't really want those in your body either.

That said, the specific activity of natural uranium is approximately gently caress-all, about 25kBq/gram. For comparison, you have about 4500Bq of radiopotassium and about 3700Bq of radiocarbon in you right now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Not to restart old copy protect chat, but Master of Orion had as ship on each page with a name, and you had to identify it to progress in the game. We remembered that there was a penis shaped ship called the penetrator, so we'd just play until we got that one as a question.

I rather liked the CD key method. Except with the key was on the manual and your mom throws them out.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
CD keys probably are the best we've come up with in terms of ease of use. And they're effective enough to prevent casual 'hey man just install it off my disks' piracy, especially in multiplayer games that will refuse to work if multiple players try to use the same one - what's the point if you can't play with your friends?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DrBouvenstein posted:

Nah a couple other colors used uranium as well, above-background radioactivity has been detected in most of the colors actually. The Fiesta Red is by far the most radioactive of the line but it's pretty present.

e: Leeching I think was attributed to most of the problems. Similarly, there's some evidence that the heavy use of leaded crystal by upper class jerks in the ~17-1800sish era led to an increased rate of gout because rich guys liked to keep alcoholic things in leaded crystal decanters, and the alcohol proved very effective at leeching the lead out of the crystal :v:

Shugojin has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Jul 26, 2014

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Keiya posted:

What's the point if you can't play with your friends?
StarCraft (and Diablo?) had the right idea with that share with friends installer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

WebDog posted:

StarCraft (and Diablo?) had the right idea with that share with friends installer.

No b.net with the same cd key. :( Which led to some serious chicken and egg poo poo. Try to log in, "this key in use,Chad is currently playing LoD!"

Well, gently caress. Time to call Chad and tell him to get off my poo poo. But wait, his phone is busy cause he's dialed up playing LoD! :downs: