Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not that nobody knows or cares about Bethesda's bugs (as was mentioned, PS3 in particular has always been very bad and nigh unplayable for Fallout/TES). It's that nobody talks about them anymore. People do, however, bring up New Vegas all the time. You bring up a game with bugs and people will bring up that it has bugs.

The fact that this is still happening is darkly hilarious, because even without mods the final version of New Vegas is less buggy than Fallout 3. And with the right mods (which you would also need to fix the same problems in Fallout 3) there's hardly any non-cosmetic bugs left (which probably aren't going anywhere because Creation Engine).

But no, the Internet has to do this "never forgive, never forget, never change your mind or you're every emasculating slur in the dictionary and a few someone on 4chan made up on the spot" poo poo.

Mr E posted:

To be fair I don't think any Bethesda-Gamebryo/Skyrim engine game works well on PS3.

This. The Creation Engine (from Oblivion on) was made for PCs first and consoles as an afterthought and it shows.

Obsidian also has a history of being hideously rushed and abused by their publishers and the one time they weren't (Square Enix with Dungeon Siege 3) it was actually pretty bug-free on release.

Okay, one and a half because I guess Ubisoft sort of stayed their hand, because Obsidian proved they can actually get money without publishers' help for that one thing where goons paid $150 to see them drunk on camera and also maybe they get an Icewind-Dale-alike in a year or so.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
Splinter Cell: Blacklist is $7.50 on Humble Store now, and $17 for the Deluxe Edition on GetGames.

Does the extra $10 net you anything particularly worthwhile?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The fact that this is still happening is darkly hilarious, because even without mods the final version of New Vegas is less buggy than Fallout 3. And with the right mods (which you would also need to fix the same problems in Fallout 3) there's hardly any non-cosmetic bugs left (which probably aren't going anywhere because Creation Engine).

But no, the Internet has to do this "never forgive, never forget, never change your mind or you're every emasculating slur in the dictionary and a few someone on 4chan made up on the spot" poo poo.

You have to mention it has bugs to recommend mods to fix the bugs. :v:

Jerusalem posted:

I'm installing Deadly Premonition but I recall there was some kind of issue with the PC port? Has it been patched up or is there a recommended 3rd party patch/fix I should be using with it?

It needs a fan patch I think.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Manatee Cannon posted:

You have to mention it has bugs to recommend mods to fix the bugs. :v:

"Hello World" has bugs. Even a program that just closes itself has bugs.

There's a difference between that and the 'this game will corrupt your save files in other games and your computer will burn down your dog' you get when you take the outside Internet's view of New Vegas at face value.

Also people care enough about New Vegas to fix the bugs. The same fixes sort of get shoehorned into 3, and not always with a proper conversion for it. Evaluation of the games' staying power with respect to each other is left as an exercise for the reader.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not that nobody knows or cares about Bethesda's bugs (as was mentioned, PS3 in particular has always been very bad and nigh unplayable for Fallout/TES). It's that nobody talks about them anymore. People do, however, bring up New Vegas all the time. You bring up a game with bugs and people will bring up that it has bugs.

Yes, I know people bring up New Vegas all the time...and blame Obsidian for it when their parent company was the one responsible for QA. That's why it gets irritating. Obsidian are blamed for stuff they weren't even responsible for.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

There's a difference between that and the 'this game will corrupt your save files in other games and your computer will burn down your dog' you get when you take the outside Internet's view of New Vegas at face value.

Also people care enough about New Vegas to fix the bugs. The same fixes sort of get shoehorned into 3, and not always with a proper conversion for it. Evaluation of the games' staying power with respect to each other is left as an exercise for the reader.

I think your conflating bugs with something that isn't meeting the product spec.

Progression blocking bugs are the ones that matter the most in games. There's nothing less fun than having so save every so often because a Fallout memory leak will force crash to desktop. That's how a game gets uninstalled.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
In regards to the whole Obsidian discussion, I listened to this interview with Chris Avellone. He talks a bit about the challenges they faced basically doing sequels and having to learn a new engine every time. Also pretty sure at one point he says that QA is generally handled by the publisher.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

lechunnel posted:

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is $7.50 on Humble Store now, and $17 for the Deluxe Edition on GetGames.

Does the extra $10 net you anything particularly worthwhile?

2 DLC that goes on sale for $1.50 a piece

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

FuzzySlippers posted:

Except Dungeon Siege 3 every game they've released shipped buggy but if you played them later most were significantly improved by patches so keep that in mind.

IIRC DS3 was the first game they got to do QA instead of their publishers. New Vegas was Betesda QA, NWN2 was Atari QA, Alpha Protocol was Sega QA. I think even KOTOR 2 was Bioware QA.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've literally never heard any of this stuff outside of people defending them. Saying Obsidian makes good, flawed games is not a problem because it is a fact and that is the closest to negative I've heard. Well, not including Dungeon Siege 3. Though as to New Vegas specifically, if you just download the game and play it can and will crash. Often, even. Fanmade patches do not change the fact that the bugs were in the game and as such they should be mentioned to people looking to buy it, even if only to point out those patches that fix it. This is not a slight against the people who made it.

Clearly you'll not be convinced on this but you are railing against people and problems that don't exist. I'll let it drop.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
On the flip side Dungeon Siege 3 is the only Obsidian game I haven't played because the previous Steam thread said not to bother with it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Thank you brave soldier for saving our thread from the invisible strawman army

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm installing Deadly Premonition but I recall there was some kind of issue with the PC port? Has it been patched up or is there a recommended 3rd party patch/fix I should be using with it?

AFAIK resolution is fixed to 720p. Also it's buggy & unstable, but that was true of all the other versions of the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My favorite mob game is The Godfather. I've actually played through it more than once, I enjoyed it so much. gently caress now I kinda want to play it again. The Godfather 2 sucked, the entire playing area was like 4 city blocks. It had really brutal melee kill animations though, you'd smack someone in the jaw and see it dislocate.

I played it years ago for the PS2 but are the Wii and PS3 version additions worth a replay if I could grab either of them cheap?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

On the flip side Dungeon Siege 3 is the only Obsidian game I haven't played because the previous Steam thread said not to bother with it.
It's fun as an ARPG, but not really awe inspiring or anything. Just super competent, which is nice.

Like literally we could do FNV vs FO3 quest comparisons or whatever all day, can we?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dungeon Siege 3 becomes a completely different (better) game when you play it with a gamepad. The difference is so striking that it feels like you're playing a redone enhanced edition of the original.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I played it years ago for the PS2 but are the Wii and PS3 version additions worth a replay if I could grab either of them cheap?

The Wii was the system I played it on and I'd recommend it if you want to give the game a second go. It had some of the silliest use of motion controls including using the Wiimote + Nunchuck to strangle dudes from behind and it worked surprisingly well.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

The Kins posted:

Not anymore! Gamespy shut down, remember?

I didn't know. I've not played Battlefield 1942 in years, but it was great in its day. That Desert Combat mod was brilliant.

Palpek posted:

So I finished LIMBO, cool game, some of the near end levels where pretty difficult but overall a satisfying ending. Then I learn that there's a secret level hidden in one of the chapters and holy poo poo is it some impossible poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ_oHJ_zBho

I'd probably spend days trying to beat this.

Limbo is wonderful. I took a look at that hidden level the other day when achievement whoring. I think I have all of them except for Ding! and whatever achievement it is that you get for beating the game with no more than 5 deaths.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Gameplay-wise they are all identical. PS3 has slightly better graphics, but Wii has motion controls that have you grabbing guys by the collars of their shirts and tossing them through windows. I could do that all fuckin' day.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 becomes a completely different (better) game when you play it with a gamepad. The difference is so striking that it feels like you're playing a redone enhanced edition of the original.

It's still a competently made utterly boring bog standard game.

Without the Obsidian name in the background it would disappear into the ether with all the other blah games.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I found out about this not long ago when I noticed that some of the dumb trading cards (like Knock-knock) actually have neat backgrounds: http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?showcase

That site has all the images which you can download at 1920x1080.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Accidentally posted this in the other steam thread.

Lester Shy posted:

I've been using a Turtle Beach P11 headset for PC gaming for about a year and it has developed a short that intermittently knocks out all sound in one ear. I don't know anything about electronics or wiring, so I'm in the market for a new headset in the ~$50 range.

I'm no audiophile, and I only use headphones when I'm using voice chat, so I don't need surround sound or super quality. I like having an in-line mic mute button, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm basically just looking for something that gets the job done and won't annoy other people with horrible mic quality. Any recommendations?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I found out about this not long ago when I noticed that some of the dumb trading cards (like Knock-knock) actually have neat backgrounds: http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?showcase

Can I nominate this for the OP?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Can I nominate this for the OP?

This is where it starts

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

MirrorMoon EP has one of my favorite backgrounds:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Accidentally posted this in the other steam thread.

No, you posted it in the right place

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hat Thoughts posted:

No, you posted it in the right place

Hat, just let it go.

No one likes your thread. :mad:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
13 pages and mentioned in a sticky vs this 7 page garbage thread factually this is not the real Steam thread.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A bloo boo hoo

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Other, Objectively Better Steam Thread: Dudes chilling, giving away games, making trades, learning about Dynasty Warriors for PC, etc.

This Steam Thread: hitler probably

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Hat Thoughts posted:

Other, Objectively Better Steam Thread: Dudes chilling, giving away games, making trades, learning about Dynasty Warriors for PC, etc.

This Steam Thread: hitler probably
Sorry, but you're just proving why this thread is better.

Hey goon who wanted MGS: Revengeance: I'm also in Asia, can't get it on the store, got it gifted and have it installed on my PC just fine. Haven't fired it up yet(my controller dongle died) but I can when I get home if you want confirmation.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
duckfarts, admittedly pro-hitler

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is any of the Fallout 3 DLC good? That would be why I'd get it on PC, since my copy of it's in just the other room. Unless there's some really good Mods.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

Well I mean hitler was pretty bad but he didn't gas any threads

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Anyone tried Starpoint Gemini 2? I've only put about an hour into it but I'm getting some good Freelancer vibes so far.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Is any of the Fallout 3 DLC good? That would be why I'd get it on PC, since my copy of it's in just the other room. Unless there's some really good Mods.

I think it's all pretty worth it except for Mothership Zeta, but just get the GotY and don't play MZ, I think some worthwhile mods use MZ.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think I might be the only one who likes DS3. I mean yes it's not really playing to obsidian's strengths and is certainly their weakest game. But man it might be the only arpg that's ever held my interest. I've tried torchlight, marvel heroes, path of exile and they've all bored the crap out of me. Maybe I just don't like all that clicking.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Hat Thoughts posted:

PC master race

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So, how do people feel about Dynasty Warriors 8? I assume the core gameplay hasn't changed terribly much since the last one I played, which was probably 4 or 5 or something. It's not a crappy console port locked to some bizarre resolution/refresh rate, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Epsilon Plus posted:

So, how do people feel about Dynasty Warriors 8? I assume the core gameplay hasn't changed terribly much since the last one I played, which was probably 4 or 5 or something. It's not a crappy console port locked to some bizarre resolution/refresh rate, right?

Seems like you're in the wrong thread friend

• Locked thread