Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love this, not just for the obvious hilarity of the voices and the names he comes up with, but the way he goes from :haw: to :aaa: to :ohdear: across the space of the calls as he discovers that Herc is politically connected AND part of Major Crimes.

The real hilarity being that while these connections sound ominous on paper, Herc is a major gently caress-up wrecking the good work of those who came before him or propped him up in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

Zesty Mordant posted:

This right here is possibly the best scene in the show, at the very least the best scene between two kid actors I've ever witnessed. Michael's response of just "I don't" is absolutely crushing.

The last episode is great if you like to experience many very different emotions in quick succession.

That scene is great, though I think I have to say that McNulty and Rawls after Kima gets shot is my favorite.

Other great ones include Stringer/Avon on the roof at the end of season 3 and Omar and Bunk in season 4 (I think) when Bunk is telling him off.

Oh also Omar in court season 1 though that's not necessarily so moving as it is hilarious.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

One of my personal favourite parts of The Wire occurs early on in a season one exchange between Wee Bay and D'Angelo. They're standing outside of a takeout joint, with wee Bay in front of a neon sign that says "Burgers" and D in front of a sign saying "Chicken"...Now to the untrained eye, this is just 2 guys talking in front of a ghetto fast food place, but if you think about it a lot Wee Bay is actually Avon's meat. He adds meat to the barksedale organisation when he shoots people and blasts their innards into "hamburger". D'Angelo is chicken because he's popular with the "hoppers" in the pit. He surrounds himself with "chicken". Most people I ask say I'm reading too much into it, but I think I'm on to something.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Its s2 where he's in court but it's great. Obvious nod of approval to the "gently caress" scene as well with Mcnulty and Bunk

E: I have to agree with "most people" but I'm guilty of the same. I always just took that scene as a simple metaphor for the hoppers and guys doing all the actual grunt work, like wallace phoning in the pinball place, and getting recuperation that's not nearly worth it

TryAgainBragg fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 20, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
McNulty vs. the bridge column is the best scene.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

One of my personal favourite parts of The Wire occurs early on in a season one exchange between Wee Bay and D'Angelo. They're standing outside of a takeout joint, with wee Bay in front of a neon sign that says "Burgers" and D in front of a sign saying "Chicken"...Now to the untrained eye, this is just 2 guys talking in front of a ghetto fast food place, but if you think about it a lot Wee Bay is actually Avon's meat. He adds meat to the barksedale organisation when he shoots people and blasts their innards into "hamburger". D'Angelo is chicken because he's popular with the "hoppers" in the pit. He surrounds himself with "chicken". Most people I ask say I'm reading too much into it, but I think I'm on to something.

They mention it specifically in the commentary, if I remember correctly.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
I watched the Wire for the first time with subtitles on as well. They were on by default and I just left them on. It took me some time to understand all the abbreviations and things the cops use. DNR's? Do not resuscitate? What does that have to do with phone calls?

And I know this has been mentioned before but one of my favorite things about the subtitles is things like [Dogs barking] [Spider bags!] [Got that WMD] and everyone's favorite, while Michael smashes Kenard, [Look at that lil nigga gettin his rear end beat].

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

"You come at the king, you best not miss" *proceeds to unload a full clip at Avon from like 20 feet and miss everything*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

frenton posted:

I watched the Wire for the first time with subtitles on as well. They were on by default and I just left them on. It took me some time to understand all the abbreviations and things the cops use. DNR's? Do not resuscitate? What does that have to do with phone calls?

Dialed Number Recorder. It's the device that records all the numbers any phone number dials. It's the thing that lets them make those phone maps so they can see who's the central node in the group.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

"You come at the king, you best not miss" *proceeds to unload a full clip at Avon from like 20 feet and miss everything*

And it caused him all kinds of problems, so he was right, he SHOULDN'T have missed!

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

PostNouveau posted:

Dialed Number Recorder. It's the device that records all the numbers any phone number dials. It's the thing that lets them make those phone maps so they can see who's the central node in the group.

Yeah, I'm aware. I was pointing out that I was confused the first time I watched the show because they never explain the abbreviations and such. It's one of the things I picked up through context, not an overt explanation.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

frenton posted:

Yeah, I'm aware. I was pointing out that I was confused the first time I watched the show because they never explain the abbreviations and such. It's one of the things I picked up through context, not an overt explanation.

It's not really important to your understanding of the show, though. It would be awkward to write in explanations for things like that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

frenton posted:

That was intentional:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/griffin_nick/hbo_the_wire.php

quote:

"It's about limiting information to the viewer so hopefully he is trying to figure out what he's actually seeing… it's not all laid out in front of you. You sort of get a piece of the puzzle, but not the whole puzzle. And the writing does that in the show, too. We give you information but you don't know exactly what's going on until a couple of episodes down the line, so we're very much trying to get that sense of constant surveillance, of eavesdropping."

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

McNulty is the main character, Willem Dafoe
Daniels is the black, gaunt bossman
Bunk is black, large, McNultys pal, and seemingly has no specific job other than show up when convenient
Kima is the girl that just got shot
Lestor is a bad motherfucker and is probably going to end up bringing justice to the world one wiretap at a time
Prez is the white goofy guy that shot the wall and is now an office bitch

I'm on episode 11 and have literally no idea what the names are for the black cop on the detail that is rarely seen, the white guy with what sounds like a New England accent, or the black cop that is pals with the accent.

E: Also am I imagining things or did someone say that one of the cops was corrupt (i.e working for the criminals) at some point? I think they said Daniels, but it was like a single throwaway line that I'm not even sure I remember. But it hasn't been brought up again.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 21, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm on episode 11 and have literally no idea what the names are for the black cop on the detail that is rarely seen, the white guy with what sounds like a New England accent, or the black cop that is pals with the accent.

Sydnor, Herc and Carver.

Sydnor is the one acknowledged quality police that Daniels is able to wrangle for the Detail as a favor from a friend, though it soon turns out that it isn't so much that he's good police as he's eager, willing and ready to knuckle down and follow the lead of others.

Herc is an enormous gently caress-up and product of the stats-driven police department - he doesn't know how to do good police work, thinks that beatings and brutality ARE good police work, and struggles with the bigger picture as presented to him by the likes of Lester and McNulty.

Carver is a similar gently caress-up, though he at least seems aware that something isn't quite right with the police department and that Herc's way of doing things is rarely the optimal way to go about policework.

All three will go through enormous changes between their first and last episodes, though some will be more readily apparent than others.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 21, 2014

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

McNulty is the main character, Willem Dafoe
Daniels is the black, gaunt bossman
Bunk is black, large, McNultys pal, and seemingly has no specific job other than show up when convenient
Kima is the girl that just got shot
Lestor is a bad motherfucker and is probably going to end up bringing justice to the world one wiretap at a time
Prez is the white goofy guy that shot the wall and is now an office bitch

E: Also am I imagining things or did someone say that one of the cops was corrupt (i.e working for the criminals) at some point? I think they said Daniels, but it was like a single throwaway line that I'm not even sure I remember. But it hasn't been brought up again.

With where your at in the show right now: there's some word in the office that Daniels is dirty. It's not clear exactly what this means, some sort of corruption, but no reason to suspect he's working for/with the barksdale gang. In the BPD the form corruption takes is most often stealing money from drug busts (i.e. You arrest someone making a deal for 100k and only report it as being a deal for 80k and keep the extra.

Don't worry if it's a little hard to follow on the first watch through, basically everyone feels that way the first time.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The two scenes that struck me the most:

-In Season 2 when Frank visits Ziggy in prison and tells him basically that it doesn't matter, he's still his son and he's a Sobotka. That poo poo rips me up.

-In Season 3 (I think) when McNulty tells D'Angelo's mom that he was murdered and that it's absolutely her fault. The way he lays it out so coldly, especially when he even admits to liking D as a person, is the most satisfying moment in the series for me and shows McNulty at his absolute best.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

NO not Wallace you assholes how could you :gonk:

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Whoa poo poo just got real!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

I'm sorry for your loss :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The show has you in its grasp now :getin:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Last year Idris Elba did a Top Gear type show for the BBC about racing cars. The whole thing's on youtube, which has given us possibly the greatest comment of all time:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

I really like this show because it doesn't matter whether you understand the petty bullshit that's going on or not, the collateral damage caused by the office politics still gets you in the gut :)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I just got through season 4 and noticed a great little detail that I didn't see mentioned in the thread. After Omar robs the co-op's drug shipment, he offers to sell it back for 20 cents on the dollar. Later when prop Joe is explaining the situation to Marlo he tells him that Omar wanted 30 on the dollar. Even in that situation Joe was still scheming to make a bit of extra money on the side.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 22, 2014

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I just got through season 4 and noticed a great little detail that I didn't see mentioned in the thread. After Omar robs the co-op's drug shipment, he offers to sell it back for 20 cents on the dollar. Later when prop Joe is explaining the situation to Marlo he tells him that Omar wanted 30 on the dollar. Even in that situation he was still scheming to make a bit of extra money.

And its that robbery that ended up forcing Joe to introduce Marlo to the Greek, which inevitably ended in his betrayal and death.

It was all Omars fault!

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

bucketybuck posted:

And its that robbery that ended up forcing Joe to introduce Marlo to the Greek, which inevitably ended in his betrayal and death.

It was all Omars fault!

Speaking of prop joe, god I hate cheese. I wish he'd get shot in the back of the head by kenard.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I just got through season 4 and noticed a great little detail that I didn't see mentioned in the thread. After Omar robs the co-op's drug shipment, he offers to sell it back for 20 cents on the dollar. Later when prop Joe is explaining the situation to Marlo he tells him that Omar wanted 30 on the dollar. Even in that situation Joe was still scheming to make a bit of extra money on the side.

Yeah, I didn't catch that until my second or third run through the show. Even in that situation, where the wrong word to the wrong person will get him killed, he can't help himself from trying to rip people off. It's an awesome, subtle little moment that says a lot about his character.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gingerberger posted:

Speaking of prop joe, god I hate cheese. I wish he'd get shot in the back of the head by kenard.

No one likes Cheese:

Prop Joe posted:

I got motherfuckin' nephews and in-laws loving all my poo poo up all the time and it ain't like I can pop a cap in their rear end and not hear about it Thanksgivin' time. For real, I'm livin' life with some burdensome niggers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just watched Prop Joe's last episode. :( Man that hit me harder than you'd expect. The dude still had a sparkle in his eyes making his final proposition.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Just watched Prop Joe's last episode. :( Man that hit me harder than you'd expect. The dude still had a sparkle in his eyes making his final proposition.

Then Marlo has that line that's like "you know you can't stay away Joe, you can't help yourself, you'll be back before you know it, this is the only way"

At first you're like "that's cold", but then you go back to that "Omar said he'll buy the dope back at 30 cents on the dollar" scene and think "hmm, maybe Marlo has a point"

Also, new guy, I really hope you aren't still reading this thread because we're spoiling some shiiiiit for you right now and this happens all the time here. Sorry :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Alhazred posted:

No one likes Cheese:

Method Man talking about looking up reactions to his final episode online is hilarious.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Method Man talking about looking up reactions to his final episode online is hilarious.

Haha, was he surprised? I think I've mentioned it, maybe more than once, in the thread before, but a friend of mine worked on a video project with Method Man once and by the end he was like "yeah, I can see Method Man dying like that".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Haha, was he surprised? I think I've mentioned it, maybe more than once, in the thread before, but a friend of mine worked on a video project with Method Man once and by the end he was like "yeah, I can see Method Man dying like that".

Method Man posted:

I always went online to see the reactions that people would have after someone got killed. Snoop, when she got killed, oh you should’ve seen it. You would’ve thought somebody really died. Like it was a funeral happening: “RIP Snoop, we gon’ miss you,” and all this craziness. They were just two lines short of making “In Memory Of” T-Shirts. Same thing with Omar. Stringer, same thing. Then when I die, it’s like “good for him. They should’ve killed his rear end sooner.”

From this interview, with cast and crew discussing the show.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

From this interview, with cast and crew discussing the show.

Hahaha hadn't seen that before; that's hilarious

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Any chance of this turning up on Netflix (the crap UK one). I have the DVDs knocking around, but need a multi region player, don't really fancy watching them on the laptop.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Are ANY HBO shows on Netflix? I think they're pushing HBO Go so your options are to get at that or get illegal, I think.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Amazon has it now, don't know about Europe though.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Zesty Mordant posted:

Are ANY HBO shows on Netflix? I think they're pushing HBO Go so your options are to get at that or get illegal, I think.

Dunno. Don't know if HBO Go is available over by here. Worst case I'll pick up a cheap DVD player.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gambrinus posted:

Any chance of this turning up on Netflix (the crap UK one). I have the DVDs knocking around, but need a multi region player, don't really fancy watching them on the laptop.

It will never be on netflix unless hbo has a serious change in their business model so don't wait around for it. Also be careful with downloading it, hbo has hired 3rd party firm to hunt down people downloading, idk if any real punishment could come of it, but they will send angry legal letters to you and your ISP so I would suggest getting a cheap DVD player or upgrade to TV/laptop with hdmi connectors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
It's on Amazon Prime, along with a bunch of other HBO shows. Many are only the first season but some like Carnivale and The Wire there is the whole show.

E: I read good.

McNerd posted:

Amazon has it now, don't know about Europe though.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 23, 2014