Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

COBRARocky posted:

you cant enjoy kill la kill until you write an essay on why its a deconstruction of slut shaming and patriarchy and upload it to tumblr

Are you saying that anime can't do those things at all, or just KLK? And if so, by what criteria is the show not about all the things I've been writing about?

Shakespeare just wrote sex comedies for a living. Spoilers: things that are the 'least deep' are actually 800% deeper than something that prances about with flashing crosses everywhere quoting the bible just to 'look deep.' A lot of anime fans fall for that poo poo though and call Eva and Madoka groundbreaking. KLK is groundbreaking for the precise reason that it pisses those people off and makes them uncomfortable. loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah but most of shakespeares plays didnt have a huge middle section that just spun its wheels in dirts without accomplishing anything

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Love's Labours Lost

Hamlet

King Lear

e: which parts were wheelspinning? I don't remember this. What plot threads were dropped and what effect does dropping them do?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm one episode into Motorcity and it is a fine American anime

e: Also instead of using Skype to discuss anime, install Mumble and pile the gently caress in here.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 20, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Love's Labours Lost

Hamlet

King Lear

e: which parts were wheelspinning? I don't remember this. What plot threads were dropped and what effect does dropping them do?

the show basically froze in stasis from when nui showed up to like the third to last episode (or whenever ryuuko broke free from junksetus control)

for example ryuuko got her rear end kicked twice by nui but seemed to learn from the mistakes there and was able to defeat sasuki at the class field trip thing

then four episodes later after fiberstrumentality or whatever ravaged the earth she does the same thing that got her rear end kicked the previous two times at the same time and oh hey she gets a mind control dress sewed into her which also doesnt seem to really effect her that much afterwards

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hbomberguy posted:

Are you saying that anime can't do those things at all, or just KLK? And if so, by what criteria is the show not about all the things I've been writing about?

Shakespeare just wrote sex comedies for a living. Spoilers: things that are the 'least deep' are actually 800% deeper than something that prances about with flashing crosses everywhere quoting the bible just to 'look deep.' A lot of anime fans fall for that poo poo though and call Eva and Madoka groundbreaking. KLK is groundbreaking for the precise reason that it pisses those people off and makes them uncomfortable. loving good.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

If love be blind, love cannot hit the mark.
Now will he sit under a medlar tree
And wish his mistress were that kind of fruit
As maids call medlars when they laugh alone.
O Romeo, that she were! Oh, that she were
An open arse, and thou a poperin pear

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Boobs

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

deep as hell

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
:agreed:

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
OP I suggest you watch Gurren Lagann after you're done, which was made by the same dudes as KLK but it's better. Godspeed.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
who hasn't watch ttgl you silly goose

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Try gatchaman crowds, it's very short and very very good. It seems to bring out the best in people.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
There are a lot of animes about high schoolers that fight each other for whatever reason.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

SHISHKABOB posted:

i dunno thought you didn't. but you did. good man.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hbomberguy posted:

Try gatchaman crowds, it's very short and very very good. It seems to bring out the best in people.

gatchaman crowds owns because it is a liberal pro-gun screed

after watching that please watch shinsekai yori because it is a maoist third-worldist indictment of liberalism and nuclear proliferation

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Then watch K-On

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID

SHISHKABOB posted:

the only good thing about gurren lagann

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
close this thread or move it to adtrw

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I don't like anime, I figured I'd see a recommendation or something, maybe to help me think that anime might be good.

I saw this thread and it's pretty much the same creepy poo poo, except some of it is ironic i guess?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Fargin Icehole posted:

I don't like anime, I figured I'd see a recommendation or something, maybe to help me think that anime might be good.

I saw this thread and it's pretty much the same creepy poo poo, except some of it is ironic i guess?

It's still your standard bunch of weebs gushing about a cartoon.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Then watch K-On

ah yes, a scathing commentary on the work ethic of the youth of modern day japan

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Whatever happened to that magic bullet that was never brought up again?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

It's still your standard bunch of weebs gushing about a cartoon.

Anime is my life

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

I read this thing by Jonathan Swift, it's really creepy and cannibalistic but it's ironic i guess?

I saw starship troopers, its all about endorsing fascism and military rule but its ironic i guess?

Most KLK characters, even small background one-episode ones, are designed as references to a genre/show/anime-concept already well-known to viewers. The show is directly engaging with 'anime' and its problems. There is a scene in Kill La Kill where the main characters watch a scene from Kill La Kill on a television and are disgusted by it.
Partway through the show it starts to tear itself free of the narrative contrivances and explore a solution beyond those concepts. Television - Anime - is revealed to be a tool of the bad guys, and they fight against it by working together. A lot of folks have mistaken this totally cool shift as a mistake, even though the characters go on pretty clear speeches about how they're embracing the inherent madness of human beings.

I dunno why so many people want to keep talking about tits.

Phobophilia posted:

gatchaman crowds owns because it is a liberal pro-gun screed

after watching that please watch shinsekai yori because it is a maoist third-worldist indictment of liberalism and nuclear proliferation

I'm on it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

Whatever happened to that magic bullet that was never brought up again?

plot hole

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I like anime because every episode is essentially a shitload of drawings and, as someone who can barely produce one, I find that very impressive.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

mmyeah :cool:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Idk isn't that more of a loose plot thread cause it's not like it was super central to the story, it only got brought up once

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gatchaman was good but i dont remember pro gun stuff, it was more of a power of blogging thing imo

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Davincie posted:

gatchaman was good but i dont remember pro gun stuff, it was more of a power of blogging thing imo

It's about the abyss of freedom. Instead of relying on silly cartoon heroes we should all, every one of us, be our own heroes and trust others to do the same - implicitly fighting for egalitarian justice to make everyone equally heroic. Who the show's real villain is, and how you conquer them, is a cool symbolic message that I endorse and won't spoil.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fargin Icehole posted:

Here have a recommendation of something good: Vinland Saga, a manga about vikings and farming.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

'I don't like anime, so I watched some, and I didn't like it!!!! drat goons and their animes'

but yeah read vinland saga and otoyomegatari

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The further removed from high schoolers in retarded outfits you get the better stuff ya can find

I've only ever read one manga though so I'm no expert on the subject but it was "Berserk" and it owned. Some dude in some sort of medieval european setting wrecking stuff, also monsters.

That is good

is there more of that kind of stuff??

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

:eyepop:

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

If you enjoy the manga Berserk, might I recommend a form of media that heavily cribs from its design and major themes, Dark Souls. It's kind of an obscure game, so you've probably not heard of it,

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
actually technically I guess i've read two mangas since I also read One Punch Man which is also god drat amazing

if more manga was like that (good) then i'd probably read more manga lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

have you considered One Piece

• Locked thread