Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

mango gay touchies posted:

have you considered One Piece

A friend of mine irl can't stop talking about it. And it has something like 700 episodes and I don't even know how you can put actual plot into it without it being lovely and washed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Mike Maddux posted:

A friend of mine irl can't stop talking about it. And it has something like 700 episodes and I don't even know how you can put actual plot into it without it being lovely and washed down.

It's really impressive and I don't know how they do it either but with over 800 chapters out it still hasn't gotten old yet

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Zzulu posted:

The further removed from high schoolers in retarded outfits you get the better stuff ya can find

I've only ever read one manga though so I'm no expert on the subject but it was "Berserk" and it owned. Some dude in some sort of medieval european setting wrecking stuff, also monsters.

That is good

is there more of that kind of stuff??

I just today started reading this after loving the show/movies, it's great.

One of the few over-the-top violent stories that also manages to have an interesting plot with nuance and themes. It reminds me of the Princess of Mars stories but with more and better of everything that was good about them. So much more and so much better that this comparison doesn't actually make any sense

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I can't bring myself to read Berserk, even though every account has told me that it's really good, because I'll probably want closure and the author legitimately has no idea how to end the series

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The best of kill la kill was when loadsamoney crab guy was assfucked by tiny penis guy's sword, and then some buzz kill was admonishing people in the thread for laughing at rape

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Mike Maddux posted:

The guy that writes it sold his soul to the devil for the the ability to constantly come up with new characters

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I think they do, they just made all the money in the world and are addicted to some anime princess idol maker game or something. In other words it's held back mostly because it's made by a Japan.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I can't bring myself to read Berserk, even though every account has told me that it's really good, because I'll probably want closure and the author legitimately has no idea how to end the series

It's still worth reading. I stopped reading it some years ago because lol at the pace of the updates but what I did read was just really cool. Plus it does settle a bunch of stories just not the overarching one, yet.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93oihEbeKmw

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

probably still better than honey, we shrunk ourselves. the film that killed rick moranis acting career

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mike Maddux posted:

The anime has become lovely and washed out but the manga is legit one of the best series out there. There's a reason it's the best selling book of all time in Japan. There's maybe one arc that is of a dubious quality, but the rest of it owns and is a fantastical journey.

Luffy is a fantastic protagonist. He also tries to recruit everyone to his crew:

• A unicorn
  • A tree
  • Rudolph the red nosed reindeer
  • The Kraken
  • A cyborg
  • Cerberus
  • A 140-year-old woman who has a bellybutton piercing
  • A skeleton with an afro
  • A duck-chocobo
  • A man permanentely deformed into the shape of a treasure chest
  • A zombie mistaken for an old man with a big wound
  • An old man with a big wound mistaken for a zombie
  • A clown who can fly, provided that you carry his disembodied feet
  • A pirate diner
  • A pirate orchestra
  • A mouse named Tyrannosaurus

other things in One Piece that are absurd and wonderful:

• Rocky Horror
  • A Goldfish so big it's shits are mistaken for islands
  • Kung-Fu Dugongs
  • Moon Men
  • An entire floating city of Gandalfs
  • An island full of centaur type mooks only with other animals than horses(most notably a crocodile)
  • Two crews of Ape Salvage Divers
  • Pervy, Invisible Man-Frankenstein
  • A sword that ate the Elephant fruit
  • I don't care if he's anime filler: Alpacacino- a bazooka that ate the alpaca fruit

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It's really impressive and I don't know how they do it either but with over 800 chapters out it still hasn't gotten old yet
guy really wants to make stories about wacky pirate shenanigans

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

The anime has become lovely and washed out but the manga is legit one of the best series out there. There's a reason it's the best selling book of all time in Japan. There's maybe one arc that is of a dubious quality, but the rest of it owns and is a fantastical journey.

Luffy is a fantastic protagonist. He also tries to recruit everyone to his crew:

• A unicorn
  • A tree
  • The Kraken
  • A cyborg
  • Cerberus
  • A duck-chocobo
  • A pirate diner
  • A pirate orchestra

• Rocky Horror
  • Kung-Fu Dugongs
  • Moon Men
  • An island full of centaur type mooks only with other animals than horses(most notably a crocodile)
  • I don't care if he's anime filler: Alpacacino- a bazooka that ate the alpaca fruit

It's amazing how slow the anime is to catch up to the manga. I guess that's how it usually is, but it's kind of annoying to know it will take months if not years to catch up.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

It's amazing how slow the anime is to catch up to the manga. I guess that's how it usually is, but it's kind of annoying to know it will take months if not years to catch up.
that's not the problem, every time they catch up they need to double down on the padding

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Wicker Man posted:

The anime is only a handful of chapters behind, which is one of the things that makes the anime so awful. They used to add filler arcs so that the manga was far ahead and they could pace the anime well. Now they don't add fillers arcs, make each episode with the content of a chapter. So now every episode is horribly drawn out with way too much talking for what little movement the plot actually gets.

The anime has always been of poor quality because it's popularity is guaranteed so they don't even have to try. Hopefully in a decade it will get a hunter x hunter style redo to repace it and make the early art less awful.

Snodgrass Supreme
Nov 6, 2012
The one piece anime is fantastic for the first few hundred episodes because it started way after the manga did and they didn't have to stretch a single chapter out to a 20 minute episode so it had actual good pacing. The closer it gets to the timeskip (which is like, 500 episodes in?) the slower it gets and it doesn't help that immediately post-timeskip was probably the most boring part of the story overall. I just found a streaming site with all the episodes and let them run in a second monitor while I did homework and poo poo and watched the whole drat show in like 4 months, you too can watch the entirety of one piece if you set your mind to it (it's worth it)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

More people need to watch hunter x hunter, it's like a little bit of one piece mixed with a little bit of JoJo, with way more moral ambiguity than you would expect from a shounen.

Also there's a pedo clown guy that I can't figure out how they got away with.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

• A unicorn
  • A tree
  • The Kraken
  • A cyborg
  • Cerberus
  • A duck-chocobo
  • A pirate diner
  • A pirate orchestra

• Rocky Horror
  • Kung-Fu Dugongs
  • Moon Men

please post croc centaur

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Davincie posted:

please post croc centaur

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I thought he was the worst character in that arc, but then again I think Law is lame and everybody loves him so I probably just have poor taste.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

you watch anime so of course you do

i don't watch anime i just make everything up so i win

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i like to rub my big hard nub to the anime babes in it since htye all have deece to large sized hoots

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

That curtain looks atrocious. The original was so expressive and revolutionary and this is just insulting. God drat this loving remake is doing everything wrong.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

Are you saying that anime can't do those things at all, or just KLK? And if so, by what criteria is the show not about all the things I've been writing about?

Shakespeare just wrote sex comedies for a living. Spoilers: things that are the 'least deep' are actually 800% deeper than something that prances about with flashing crosses everywhere quoting the bible just to 'look deep.' A lot of anime fans fall for that poo poo though and call Eva and Madoka groundbreaking. KLK is groundbreaking for the precise reason that it pisses those people off and makes them uncomfortable. loving good.

lmao this is a real post

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

lmao this is a real post

What was wrong with my post? please correct me if I was wrong.

MoaM posted:

I watch a minute of Madoka and saw a little girl running and stumbling and some sort of 3D scribble hovering over a city and turned it off.

good

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 20, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well, you like anime, so

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I watch a minute of Madoka and saw a little girl running and stumbling and some sort of 3D scribble hovering over a city and turned it off.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

MoaM posted:

fail

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Madoka was ok, I couldn't really get into it though. Too much monologuing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

lmao this is a real post

Hbomberguy posted:

What was wrong with my post? please correct me if I was wrong.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Widestancer posted:

Do male feminists think it's going to get them laid or something

:hellyeah:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

my ex-fiance was a lesbian the entire time, i try not to think too much about the ramifications of it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

my ex-fiance was a lesbian the entire time, i try not to think too much about the ramifications of it

wow thats heavy

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

More booty, please.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Kill la Kill is good because the protagonist is an idiot who never takes her friends' advice and gets the poo poo humiliatingly kicked out of her by life repeatedly because she never thinks ahead. I can relate.

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

the ramifications are that you're a bitch nigga who is feminine enough that a lesbian let you put a ring on her finger before she got too uncomfortable

and criticizing anime is like half of what anime does these days and it's not very interesting

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Zzulu posted:

The further removed from high schoolers in retarded outfits you get the better stuff ya can find

I've only ever read one manga though so I'm no expert on the subject but it was "Berserk" and it owned. Some dude in some sort of medieval european setting wrecking stuff, also monsters.

That is good

is there more of that kind of stuff??

this is me. i am this guy. i am he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Hole Wolf posted:

and criticizing anime is like half of what anime does these days and it's not very interesting

then dont watch it

Harime Nui posted:

Kill la Kill is good because the protagonist is an idiot who never takes her friends' advice and gets the poo poo humiliatingly kicked out of her by life repeatedly because she never thinks ahead. I can relate.

don't lose your way

• Locked thread