Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Just almost lost a game of Nuke because the other side started using all autoshotties. It was pretty spectacular.

Because? Do you mean despite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

augustob posted:

Man it'd be nice to be able to see everyone's rank under their avatars or something because it'd prevent a ton of confusion.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Necc0 posted:

Man it'd be nice to be able to see everyone's rank under their avatars or something because it'd prevent a ton of confusion.
<--------

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

augustob posted:

It was terrifying :(

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Necc0 posted:

Reddit does this, which is probably why Reddit is better.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

I AM BRAWW posted:

Except that you can display whatever rank you want so every reddit poster is global elite.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

I AM BRAWW posted:

It's hosed up, but true.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

I AM BRAWW posted:

I go there for the senschat, stay for the "I bought this game yesterday, how rank up?" threads.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So, today I have learned two things.
  • I am not able to throw a flash on de_dust2, from elevator to A, with an RMB throw.
  • One of my acquaintances can squeal like a pig while cursing.
:v:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Pretty cool to see new players willing to learn and improve.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Xenaero posted:

hosed up if true.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
New players must be shown the light. The light of good vibes.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
May the vibes be with you. Always.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Thanks to this thread I've been watching a few pro matches (mostly GeT_RiGhT) and I am curious about something. In several of the matches, the teams will fire long bursts from an M4 or AK, rather than sticking to 2-3 round bursts. I learned, perhaps wrongly, to never shoot more than a couple shots unless you really need to, like turning a corner into two enemies facing you or something. I know in time you learn the recoil pattern well enough to sorta plan around it, but is that a commonly used tactic? I never hit anything if I just try to light someone up.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They're so good that they've basically memorised the bullet patterns and can move the mouse to compensate.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
They also shoot slower.

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

chaos rhames posted:

They're so good that they've basically memorised the bullet patterns and can move the mouse to compensate.

I think slime's gifs of this are in the OP (if not, someone should add them). Basically they show the average spray pattern, and when shown upside down, show what direction you need to drag your mouse to spray and remain somewhat accurate.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Just pull down then wobble violently left and right.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Just pull down then wobble violently left and right.

This is me in the bedroom.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you can get epic skins for around $2-3, how is it not profitable to just bulk buy them and trade them up for a chance at a really valuable item?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
What do you think pricing is based on

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I too am wondering how giving 2 $5 epic skins instead of :10bux: is going to change anything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I mean it seems like you could buy ten of whatever is just under the top tier of rarity and roll for a super expensive skin. Is it just the knives that go for a ton in that top rarity class? I guess that must be the case or everyone would be doing it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
A top tier non stattrak will be worth up to 10 times the tier below it, non stattrak.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

VelociBacon posted:

I mean it seems like you could buy ten of whatever is just under the top tier of rarity and roll for a super expensive skin. Is it just the knives that go for a ton in that top rarity class? I guess that must be the case or everyone would be doing it.

I'm not sure what it's like since they changed it, but when the contract was locked to map collections, what you'd see is that the skin above was worth 10 of the skin below.

I want to say there's probably a chance to make some steam bucks since they unlocked all the collections, but knowing the marketplace, I doubt it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Xenaero posted:

:) It felt pretty good not being total dogshit in a goonman for once.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

MadBimber posted:

Thanks to this thread I've been watching a few pro matches (mostly GeT_RiGhT) and I am curious about something. In several of the matches, the teams will fire long bursts from an M4 or AK, rather than sticking to 2-3 round bursts. I learned, perhaps wrongly, to never shoot more than a couple shots unless you really need to, like turning a corner into two enemies facing you or something. I know in time you learn the recoil pattern well enough to sorta plan around it, but is that a commonly used tactic? I never hit anything if I just try to light someone up.

There is a goon made site where you could experiment yourself with each gun's spray on a white background, it was somewhere in this thread. It was pretty cool, and you could see which gun's spread would pull left or right and up based on your own control of the mouse. My guess is that the pros have that close down to a science. Or instinct.

Try to kill people with the spray of the negev on full blast, its a simple example of how to learn to pull down on full auto. Plus its hilarious when you clutch kill 5 people with it even on casual.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Just learn to compensate for the first 5+ bullets of the main rifles at various distances and you'll be fine.

(hint: it's straight down)

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Logan 5 posted:

There is a goon made site where you could experiment yourself with each gun's spray on a white background, it was somewhere in this thread.

http://twowordbird.com/csgo/spraylab.html

It's not mine, but I don't remember seeing it in this thread. I use it all the time to check a weapon and practice.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Goop posted:

It's not mine, but I don't remember seeing it in this thread. I use it all the time to check a weapon and practice.

rip slime

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

VelociBacon posted:

If you can get epic skins for around $2-3, how is it not profitable to just bulk buy them and trade them up for a chance at a really valuable item?

It is not profitable to do this. For one, stattrak skins are ineligible for trade up contracts (i.e. you can't trade up your own stat-trak items to get a better stat-trak) and stat-trak skins are generally the only things worth any money at all, with the exception of brand-new case skins.

Example: The most profitable non-statrak items are generally going to be skins out of the latest case, so let's look at the m4 cyrex:
A factory new non-stattrak is currently worth ~$90
In order to trade up to even have a chance at getting a cyrex, you need 1 pink skin out of an operation breakout case. The cheapest one right now would be to buy a desert eagle conspiracy for $5. Next you could buy 9 other pink skins for ~$2 each at the cheapest (cz-75 fuschia). So total you have now spent $18.50. Now you use your trade up contract, except that you aren't guaranteed to get a $90 skin out of it. You are only guaranteed to get one red skin out of either the Case-3 or breakout collections. This means you will end up with either (price range depending on quality in parentheses):

CZ-75 Victoria ($2.80 - $9)
P90 Asiimov ($10 - 77)
M4A1-S Cyrex ($39 - $90)

And remember that trade up cases give you a random skin with a random quality (i.e. you can't guarantee getting a factory new skin with 10 factory new trade ups). So sure you can go ahead and play the lottery and maybe you will end up with a profitable trade up contract, but more likely than not you will end up with a new skin that is worth less than the $20 you originally spent (you are probably going to end up with a cz-75 victoria). To guarantee yourself a chance at a P90 Asiimov or a M4 Cyrex you would need to buy 10 skins from the breakout collection, which means you are putting in $50 worth of trade up skins at a slim chance to maybe make a $40 profit, but more likely than not you will end up netting a skin that is still worth less than $50.

edit: and if you are thinking of starting with bulk skins that only cost a few cents and continuing to trade up from there remember that for every color tier your investment goes up by a power of 10. i.e. to get 1 red skin would require 100 purples, or 1000 blues

astr0man fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 21, 2014

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

astr0man posted:

Trade-up 101

Do we know if the case you get the trade-up from is decided randomly between the unique cases you put in, or if it's weighed by the items you put in? For example, if you put in 9 CZ Fuschias and 1 Conspiracy Deag, is it 50/50 or 90/10 between Breakout/WC3?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I don't know and I doubt anyone has spent the money to actually find out.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

augustob posted:

Do we know if the case you get the trade-up from is decided randomly between the unique cases you put in, or if it's weighed by the items you put in? For example, if you put in 9 CZ Fuschias and 1 Conspiracy Deag, is it 50/50 or 90/10 between Breakout/WC3?

According to what I read when they changed how the trade-up contract worked, it's likely 50/50 (or evenly split between each unique kind of case you put in, if more than 2).

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

mcvey posted:

rip slime

He's alive, I've spoken several words to the slime and can confirm he is NOT dead.

e: will not reveal the words

kcer fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 21, 2014

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Goop posted:

Yes thank you that's it. Its pretty cool to play with.

Not that I'm really going to learn how to compensate for all the guns, I'm too casual for that. I played a goonman once and it was fun, but I don't have the :effort: anymore to get actually good at teamwork in cs like some of you guys.

So I play gungame shootmans instead like a scrub.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
my team of silver elites and unrankeds beat a team of 2 MGs and their smurf friends :feelsgood:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I just played a pug MM on inferno just for the mission thing. I have a head cold and apparently my mic just stopped working so I expected it go badly.

Instead we won and I got the shittiest ace ever one round and got called a hacker :v:

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

astr0man posted:

It is not profitable to do this. For one, stattrak skins are ineligible for trade up contracts (i.e. you can't trade up your own stat-trak items to get a better stat-trak) and stat-trak skins are generally the only things worth any money at all, with the exception of brand-new case skins.

Example: The most profitable non-statrak items are generally going to be skins out of the latest case, so let's look at the m4 cyrex:
A factory new non-stattrak is currently worth ~$90
In order to trade up to even have a chance at getting a cyrex, you need 1 pink skin out of an operation breakout case. The cheapest one right now would be to buy a desert eagle conspiracy for $5. Next you could buy 9 other pink skins for ~$2 each at the cheapest (cz-75 fuschia). So total you have now spent $18.50. Now you use your trade up contract, except that you aren't guaranteed to get a $90 skin out of it. You are only guaranteed to get one red skin out of either the Case-3 or breakout collections. This means you will end up with either (price range depending on quality in parentheses):

CZ-75 Victoria ($2.80 - $9)
P90 Asiimov ($10 - 77)
M4A1-S Cyrex ($39 - $90)

And remember that trade up cases give you a random skin with a random quality (i.e. you can't guarantee getting a factory new skin with 10 factory new trade ups). So sure you can go ahead and play the lottery and maybe you will end up with a profitable trade up contract, but more likely than not you will end up with a new skin that is worth less than the $20 you originally spent (you are probably going to end up with a cz-75 victoria). To guarantee yourself a chance at a P90 Asiimov or a M4 Cyrex you would need to buy 10 skins from the breakout collection, which means you are putting in $50 worth of trade up skins at a slim chance to maybe make a $40 profit, but more likely than not you will end up netting a skin that is still worth less than $50.

edit: and if you are thinking of starting with bulk skins that only cost a few cents and continuing to trade up from there remember that for every color tier your investment goes up by a power of 10. i.e. to get 1 red skin would require 100 purples, or 1000 blues
oh myg od :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Is there some place where upcoming CS:GO events are put together in some calendar-style form?

• Locked thread