Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 247 days!)

underlig posted:

Also, i'm hearing some kind of tick or click from the rear tires when i drive faster than 40km/h, it doesn't sound like it's just once per tire rotation but instead a bit slower. It's almost as if i have a nail in each tire and it clicks when it hits the asphalt, only like i said slower.
Any suggestions?
I think i hear it from both sides of the car. I've only noticed it now since i drive with the windows rolled down (2000 9-5)

Get it in the air and wiggle 'em back and forth yet? Has this just started to occur? Did you change anything recently?

I had this magical issue happen with my T-X 3 days after driving it home. I was crestfallen and scared shitless until I drove home slowly, stuck it in the air, and found half of a nail protruding out the sidewall on the inside of the tire. Never pierced the drat tire, just gave one of the grips a gauging. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I love inheriting dumb PO jobs. Apparently.

Whoever thought that 80% of the bolts is good enough to hold the solenoids on the ABS pump was a good idea is probably why it is being replaced for the second time in the last decade.

Can't find a front bumper skirt for the car (not worth shipping), it looks dumb with it missing (with the wheel wells sticking about 3" below that in front), and it is a special Aero unicorn piece, of course- so guess it is harbor freight euro spoiler time. :c00l:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I roll into Datsun.

Yeah, ABS is throwing a fit but the speedo works. Whaddyawant for a '02 junkyard pull, even if its pretty? Not going to tackle a homebrew repair on that Bosch. I prize my life others' lives too much for that. At least I can see how fast I am going - PRECISELY THE SPEED LIMIT.

TCS off with ABS aloof is different than TCS off. Just sayin'. :q:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

So, I got something new from Norway as a repair candidate, today.

On initial inspection, it appears to be a normal 5264809 alarm.

Well, this one is branded Lucas!

WHAT HATH THOU WROUGHT!?

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 27, 2014

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey is there a trick to replacing the HID bulb in a 2008 9-5?
I'm asking because I spent the better part of an hour contorting my wrist to try to get the replacement bulb back into the prongs in the headlight assembly.
After I I couldn't do that, I spent another two hours removing the entire front clip to get the lens assembly off the car.
I thought I had it licked, but then I realized I must not have fully seated the bulb, because it backed out and lost all focus through the lense.

I am about to take the front clip off again; is there something special I need to do to get the bulb seated? I am scared to push too hard because this is the self-leveling headlights, so y can't really push too hard because the leveling parts start to move and I don't want to break that fiddly thing (replaced once under warranty already). I very much am not enjoying HID at this time, between the 3 hours of sweating and $125 cost of a bulb.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

So, I got something new from Norway as a repair candidate, today.

On initial inspection, it appears to be a normal 5264809 alarm.

:argh: SAAAAAAAAAAB ALARRRRRRRRRM!!!! :argh:

That's one thing I'm glad I no longer have to screw with.. On the other hand, there's always a quirk with EVERY car that all owners of that type of vehicle encounter. Currently with my Mini, it's the passenger seat occupancy sensor and was the aux fan kicking on in the middle of the night deciding that no, I in fact don't need to get to work without jumping my vehicle first. I'll take that over my alarm going off in the middle of the night waking me up and causing all dogs within the country mile to bark though.

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 1, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Hey if you know of a '00-'03 9-3 hatch in the Chicago area with less than 100k, drop me a PM. I've got the cash for a nice one.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

some_admin posted:

I very much am not enjoying HID at this time, between the 3 hours of sweating and $125 cost of a bulb.

Not that I am aware of. I did it once (technically twice :q:) in the 2008, and all I did was follow the 'be slow, look at this info, and don't gently caress up' advice offered on all of the forums.

keykey posted:

I'll take that over my alarm going off in the middle of the night waking me up and causing all dogs within the country mile to bark though.

I was going to say that all you need to do is jack it up, remove the wheel, take off the cover, two bolts, disconnect, and get a $6 soldering gun and an account on Mouser setup, but that is a bit too much Stockholm Trollhättan syndrome. Why do I fix my cars? I couldn't afford the bastards, otherwise. v:v:v

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 3, 2014

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

some_admin posted:

Hey is there a trick to replacing the HID bulb in a 2008 9-5?
I'm asking because I spent the better part of an hour contorting my wrist to try to get the replacement bulb back into the prongs in the headlight assembly.
After I I couldn't do that, I spent another two hours removing the entire front clip to get the lens assembly off the car.
I thought I had it licked, but then I realized I must not have fully seated the bulb, because it backed out and lost all focus through the lense.

I am about to take the front clip off again; is there something special I need to do to get the bulb seated? I am scared to push too hard because this is the self-leveling headlights, so y can't really push too hard because the leveling parts start to move and I don't want to break that fiddly thing (replaced once under warranty already). I very much am not enjoying HID at this time, between the 3 hours of sweating and $125 cost of a bulb.

I'm an idiot: There is a lock ring on HID socket.
Second time taking the front clip off was way way way faster too, now that I know how it fits on.
So, sort of success story.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Does anyone happen to have schematics for the 2004+ steering wheel radio controls on a 9-5?

This is still reading 9 degrees low - I need to reset it with the Tech 2. Its loving HOT!

I've got my 2004 SID setup in my 2000 now (had to reprogram it, but it works fine), but the controls are different. Vol+ maps to Vol-, Source (Input) maps to Vol+, Next doesn't do anything, and not sure if Vol- does anything, now. Oddly, the search buttons are the same.

Also, I replaced my ABS computer with my old one that was rehab'd. I kind of miss seeing my dash lit up. :sigh:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Viggen posted:

I kind of miss seeing my dash lit up. :sigh:

Welcome to Rover ownership.

Also, welcome back Viggen. I do miss your Saab knowledge.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Might be purchasing this soon:

http://vwmedford.com/Vehicle_Details/desc/Used_Saab_9-3__/vehicleID/722876

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, I know nothing about the V6 engine, but it sounds pretty alright. Anything I should know?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I do miss your Saab knowledge.

Me too. :sigh:

Karl Barks posted:

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, I know nothing about the V6 engine, but it sounds pretty alright. Anything I should know?

Its basically just GM's High Perf V6 (aka LP9).

1) They're wedged in so goddamn tight that you can't even get light into areas you'll need to get to.

2) They love to eat ignition coils; after wasting money and many hours, many folks have 'upgraded' by sticking the Caddy coils on (XRef: ACDelco part D501C). I have one coil setting a DTC every few thousand miles, but I haven't bothered to replace it, yet. :effort:

3) Whatever you do, don't test drive a Turbo X, or you wont be happy with that perfectly cromulent 9-3. :q:

That price seems a bit high to me, but you East Coasters are as SAABspensive as the Northwest.

e: i r gramr nazi

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 9, 2014

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Viggen posted:

Its basically just GM's High Perf V6 (aka LP9).

1) They're wedged in so goddamn tight that you can't even get light into areas you'll need to get to.

2) They love to eat ignition coils; after wasting money and many hours, many folks have 'upgraded' by sticking the Caddy coils on (XRef: ACDelco part D501C). I have one coil setting a DTC every few thousand miles, but I haven't bothered to replace it, yet. :effort:

3) Whatever you do, don't test drive a Turbo X, or you wont be happy with that perfectly cromulent 9-3. :q:

That price seems a bit high to me, but you East Coasters are as SAABspensive as the Northwest.

e: i r gramr nazi

There is a Turbo X nearby, but it has 75k miles and is at a vaguely shady dealership. I'd love to find a 9-3X, but they seem very rare. I'm going to try to talk them down to 12k, and if I can't I'll probably pass.

Thanks for the info on the ignition coils.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Offer no higher than 10. Its a dead brand, and they don't want to keep the car forever. Hell, I'd call them up and tell them flat out that I wasn't even going to test drive it unless they'd be willing to drop at least 2k off..

E: Take that T-X for a spin. Just don't buy it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

How to replace that stupid plastic shroud that surrounds the lever so you don't drop cola and boogers and poo poo into it. First, the "Proper Way":

Part 1: Disassemble center console.

Part 2:
1. Put the gear selector in position N or D.
2. Remove the screw holding the front part of the gear selector casing.
3. Remove the front part.
4. Press up the SPORT button from below.
5. Unsolder the SPORT button. (Lay a guard underneath so the solder does not drip onto the centre console.)

So, instead:

1. Pulled off the guard around the cover, using a plastic scraper tool. Don't want to damage that fake wood grain plastic, after all.
2. Popped the four clips holding in the cover.
3. Wrestled with the 1" worth of total clearance since I didn't want to gently caress up the Winter button (15 years = brittle plastic).
4. SLIT THE CENTER OF THE OLD SHROUD THAT WAS BROKEN ANYHOW FROM STEM TO STERN. IT FELT GOOD.
5a. Discovered that the color-bar shift plastic that moves with the knob had broken off the stupid broken cover anyhow. Evidently "Drive" wasn't always supposed to always be Orange/Yellow. I figured it was that way for idiots - to match the "D" on the center console with the one in the dash. :downs:
5b. Took that out, too.
6. Bulb is loose. Spend 10 minutes wrangling with that fucker to find out that all of the movement after sitting semi-stationary forever caused it to die. Glad I have an assload of W3Ws. Replaced, after about 3 more minutes of whinging.
7. Slit a small hole in the new shifter cover (4777173), placing the 'active shift position' draped and taped, glued, and put back together.

E: I set the proper temp in the SID with the Tech 2. I also tested my radio buttons. Vol - and SRC don't send any codes, anymore. So, maybe I'll just remove the airbag and rework the wiring live with it.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 11, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Anyone need any OG9-3 ACC LCD ribbon cables? I've just had some made up. I can offer a good discount compared to the $20/ea on eBay. :v:

I also have SID1/SID2 (actually is LCD dependent, not SID revision) cables, and 9-5 ACC cables available, just in case you hate yourself enough to fix them.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Viggen posted:

Anyone need any OG9-3 ACC LCD ribbon cables? I've just had some made up. I can offer a good discount compared to the $20/ea on eBay. :v:

I also have SID1/SID2 (actually is LCD dependent, not SID revision) cables, and 9-5 ACC cables available, just in case you hate yourself enough to fix them.

I might have to take you up on some SID cables as mine is starting to go. The minutes section of the clock had blinked out.

I also need to send you that old highbeam relay.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

JayKay posted:

I might have to take you up on some SID cables as mine is starting to go. The minutes section of the clock had blinked out.

I also need to send you that old highbeam relay.

It is really a pretty simple procedure - just need to get - and keep everything completely clean while melding the cable. A 40w soldering iron with T bar does the job for most with minimal issues. The 9-3 ACC cables are still pretty expensive since I have had to get them custom made (Still less than $20, of course), but the rest are almost embarrassingly cheap now since I have a reliable vendor for that, and they're more than happy to take my nutty SAAB parts needs whenever. I tend to keep many cables, just in the idea that I may decide to sell them for $hyooge_few_dollar_profit, too.

Those orange "relays" are pretty simple to fix, as well. They get hot and start to lose their connection when the solder melts. It usually turns itself into a weak cold solder. My fix for this is to use a solder with a higher melting point.

If the factory poo poo lasts 10 years, this might as well get another 15. v:v:v

Non-SAAB: Fixed this last night. Pure late-60s/early 70s Japanese technology. Its all transistors and diodes and 40 year old non-leaky caps. The hardware switch for the juice went bad, the amp had grounded itself through years of dust, and the variable capacitor tuner was stuck solid. I got ready to restring the whole thing, but all it really needed was some TLC and PB Blaster. The FM frequencies aren't working, but it has a neato schematic about 1"x3" attached to the battery compartment that may be useful if I can blow it up to a visible size. :q:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
If only there was someone around who liked Saabs... http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4554832877.html

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

blk posted:

If only there was someone around who liked Saabs... http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4554832877.html

Holy poo poo, that's amazing!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
It's in Viggen's neck of the woods, too.

Seriously, man, why are you not posting that you bought it?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

blk posted:

It's in Viggen's neck of the woods, too.

Seriously, man, why are you not posting that you bought it?

I want a 1978 99. No other will do. (I have no money for such things.) :cry:

Been passively watching this '69 for a few years.

E: Besides, I'm trying to cool it a bit but truthfully I am just broke. You know its bad when your "mechanic for stuff I can't do" calls you a SAAB hoarder. To your face. :q:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 15, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

My dream saab would be a 96 2 stroke. They are just super mega Swedishly kawaii ^_^.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Look at how wrong you are.

But yeah, I thought about a freewheeler before, but I just don't have the patience. Hell, my C900 was getting a bit too needy (it needed a new fuel pump and the transmission was poo poo).

Guy who bought the C900 immediately drove it to the east coast and back. Has put like 50k on it with virtually no maintenance. :negative:

E: Oh, he also hit a deer.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 15, 2014

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Viggen posted:

E: Oh, he also hit a deer.

Same thing happened to my buddy who bought my Saabaru. Totaled by a deer just 4 months after purchasing it.

Not gonna lie, it made me a bit sad. :sadwave:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

JayKay posted:

Same thing happened to my buddy who bought my Saabaru. Totaled by a deer just 4 months after purchasing it.

Not gonna lie, it made me a bit sad. :sadwave:

The C900 is still perfectly fine. It needed new headlamps. Why yes, it is a convertible.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Viggen posted:

The C900 is still perfectly fine. It needed new headlamps. Why yes, it is a convertible.

How about the owner?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

Look at how wrong you are.

Nawww man, not a '96, a 96. :3:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Ahem

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Would.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
There's one for sale over here in magic Saab-land, http://www.blocket.se/helsingborg/SAAB_Sonett_V4_1968_54961498.htm?ca=20&w=2 $9500

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Computer viking posted:

How about the owner?

Other than not maintaining the car to my levels of insanity, he seemed fine. Something is wrong with a guy who has a C900 that looked brand new when he bought it and is now missing badging and has other issues.

keykey posted:

Nawww man, not a '96, a 96. :3:

I know. A '96 would be a 9000/NG900. :v:

:fap: I still want one, even if it will puke fluid all over your legs (which you have to remove so you can fit inside the car).

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Viggen posted:

:fap: I still want one, even if it will puke fluid all over your legs (which you have to remove so you can fit inside the car).

someday I will have a sonnet for the weekends, a volvo 1800 for weekdays, and an 850 R for hauling stuff. That is when I will allow myself to die happily

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Cracked a hose today because i had to drive the aero like an idiot.

I think it's the lower one of the #12 on http://www.jimellissaabparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=3220311&ukey_assembly=407464 , going to confirm it tomorrow with the EPC.

I pushed the engine like hell up to 120km/h from a standstill, trying to catch up to another car for absolutely no sane reason.
I saw a lot of smoke behind me, thought it was just dust because i'd just been on a dirtroad, but no, the hose was leaking and the engineroom was drenched and vapor comming out from the hood. Car also told me to fill up on coolant.
Turned the engine off, carefully removed the expansion lid and poured in some new coolant.

Don't think anything else could have broken in the little time (maybe five seconds) where the engine was empty of coolant, right? I refilled it, started the engine for a few seconds just so i could be sure there was coolant everywhere (on the inside).

I think i'll try to use vulcanising tape tomorrow, just so i can move the car while waiting for a new hose.

I looked in the engineroom of the other 95 and it's much emptier than the aero, there's probably half the hoses and wires in the non-aero. Not sure i can fit my arms into the enginebay to replace...

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

underlig posted:

I looked in the engineroom of the other 95 and it's much emptier than the aero, there's probably half the hoses and wires in the non-aero. Not sure i can fit my arms into the enginebay to replace...

Huh. I've never really noticed that, other than transmission extras.. and now I don't have an LPT to compare to. What are the years on both?

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Viggen posted:

Huh. I've never really noticed that, other than transmission extras.. and now I don't have an LPT to compare to. What are the years on both?
Both are 2000's, but i had another look today to prove my point and i might have been exaggerating a bit. The aero is an automatic so that might mean a bit more hoses and stuff too.

I couldn't fit my fingers down where i would have to go to put tape on that hose, there's stuff everywhere so i just said fuckit and will call a garage on monday. I ordered a hose and hope it's the correct one..

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

underlig posted:

Both are 2000's, but i had another look today to prove my point and i might have been exaggerating a bit. The aero is an automatic so that might mean a bit more hoses and stuff too.

:eng99: I can think of one less.

So, anybody who needs 'em, I have both SID1/SID2 style SID cables (for both 9-3 and 9-5), and 9-5 ACC cables in stock. $5/ea, shipped (excepting international, maybe). 9-3 ACC cable is still going to run about $10/ea, which is half of the cheapest place that I've found them online.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hi Folks,
I got a mailer today with an offer for a free badge or windsheld wipers, thought I would pass the link along -
http://www.saabparts.com/en-us/usa/offers/part-offers/consumer-offers/
Seems like you can get this for free, I am waiting for my wipers now.
go get your badge on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain
Sweet, thanks for posting that! I need new badges for the 2000 so I'll at least have one taken care of.