Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PSX JRPG is the worst?
Final Fantasy VIII
Legend of Dragoon
SaGa Frontier
Legend of Legaia
View Results

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I never get tired of playing JRPGs and I probably never will. Not all of them, there are a lot I can't stand, but tons I like.

I just finished Mother 3. I remember playing it when the translation first released but I was kind of drifting in a psychiatrist-prescribed drug haze so didn't remember most of it. Fun game, but some seriously wild shifts in tone. I liked how the battles keep you involved with the rhythm matching. I don't know if there's anything missable or any secrets or anything, but it felt pretty complete. I will say the final 2 bosses were huge letdowns. Real final boss was definitely Miracle Fassad.

Next up I think I'll play Dragon Quest 3 (SNES version). Kind of feel like I need to play the other ones I've never played as well, 4 thru 7. I don't think I finished 8 either, but I got to the end dungeon.

Feel like I need to wrap up FFX HD and Persona 4 Golden, but I feel more connection to older games. Maybe it's because of my ancient decrepitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
lol at jrpgs past the psx era

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
You should play Legend of Dragoon. It keeps you involved in battle and if you can't land Lavitz' gust of wind dance you're a huge scrub baby.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

dragon quest owns, mate. i'm in the opposite situation from you: i've played 4-6 (ds versions, as well as SNES V), some of 7, and beat 8. gambling-rpgs are cool.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Legend of Dragoon is poo poo.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Doing a crappy QTE for every combat action is NOT cool or 'involving'.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Legend of Legaia is awesome except for the slow rear end over world movement speed. Pretty impressive coming off of making Wild Arms.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

conceitedguy posted:

Legend of Dragoon is poo poo.

The translation is bonkers and the QTE thing is entertaining for a time, it's worth playing some. It's hasn't really aged worth a drat but it was cool when it came out.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What exactly happened to JRPG's?

They seem shittier now. Am I just using nostalgia goggles or are they actually way shittier?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Widestancer posted:

They seem shittier now. Am I just using nostalgia goggles or are they actually way shittier?

i don't think anyone makes them anymore. some are still really good, like smt4

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Widestancer posted:

They were always poo poo were just ild enough to realize it now

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
ff8 is a cool game and i wish it was hard. it's morrowind hard in that you can't avoid breaking it in some way

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Widestancer posted:

i go back to chrono trigger every once in a while and it still holds up. it is just a fun adventure. i don't know what happened to jrpgs, i fell out with them around ff8 because it seemed like no one was having fun. the characters weren't having fun the plot wasn't having fun, i wasn't having fun.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Budget inflation and relaxing hardware restrictions killed JRPGs.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i go back to chrono trigger every once in a while and it still holds up. it is just a fun adventure. i don't know what happened to jrpgs, i fell out with them around ff8 because it seemed like no one was having fun. the characters weren't having fun the plot wasn't having fun, i wasn't having fun.

ff9 was good.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i played ff9 for a while and i agree it seemed good. somewhere along the line i stopped playing it though. i don't remember why.

i also fondly remember parasite eve because it was just so bananas.

i played and beat xenogears, but i'm not sure i actually enjoyed it.

by the time the ps2 rolled out i had transitioned to pc gaming though and that's basically when me and jrpgs had a divorce

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Widestancer posted:

theyre still around you should check this obscure gem i found dark souls

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i played ff9 for a while and i agree it seemed good. somewhere along the line i stopped playing it though. i don't remember why.

by the time the ps2 rolled out i had transitioned to pc gaming though and that's basically when me and jrpgs had a divorce

play ff9 on an emulator and speedthru the battles and only the battles.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
might I recommend suikoden?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if parasite eve counts

play parasite eve you fucker

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
jrpgs own, are all on 3ds now

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Is it fascism yet posted:

jrpgs own, are all on 3ds now

whats a good jrpg other than smt4 on 3ds

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

fronz posted:

whats a good jrpg other than smt4 on 3ds

people say bravely default but i wasn't huge on it. I count etrian odyssey as jrpgs and both 4 and untold own and I have a backlog of other stuff to play

smt4 is one in the strictest sense though

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
voted legend of dragoon

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Legend of Dragoon translation is so loving bad I don't know how I didn't notice it the first time I played it, aside from the obvious instance of

"Save your breath, you'll be okay" or whatever -> "Shut up, talking makes you die."

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

the best jrpg ever was dragon warrior iii for the gbc

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

Widestancer posted:

Rpgs became more cinematic as technology improved and most japanese cinema is garbage

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Biggie Shorty posted:

Rpgs became more cinematic as technology improved and most japanese cinema is garbage

You shut your whore mouth

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Widestancer posted:

In short anime.

Companies learned they can just shove a bunch of moe bullshit into a game and it'll sale a bunch to otaku no matter how bad it is.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Mr. Pumroy posted:

FF9 was great until about the 3rd or 4th disc.

Never played Parasite Eve I remember that being some crazy thing. PS2 right

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Can we honestly just admit that grandia II was peak jrpg

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
http://archive.thegia.com/psx/lod/lod.html

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

oswald ownenstein posted:

FF9 was great until about the 3rd or 4th disc.

Never played Parasite Eve I remember that being some crazy thing. PS2 right

parasite eve 1 and 2 are two of the best psx games

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Final Fantasy Tactics was actually the best Final Fantasy, I think you guys will find

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The OP will never stop sucking of men's weiners.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Life is short!...bury! Steady sword!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Sharmat posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics was actually the best Final Fantasy, I think you guys will find

emulate the psp version with ppsspp after installing the anti slowdown patch and bind a key to fast forward and you have a good copy of fft finally

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team was pretty cool, but I dont know any other recent JRPG's. Also FF9 is loving great, real fans know thats the best one.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Hog Butcher posted:

emulate the psp version with ppsspp after installing the anti slowdown patch and bind a key to fast forward and you have a good copy of fft finally

I did that and now I don't know whether the new translation added a rape subplot to Chapter 3, or if it was just always there and the botched original translation just totally obscured it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im currently playing through persona 4 golden and i have smt4 on my 3ds and conception 2 which i am like a third of the way through, next month i need to make some serious cash so i can preorder that nice loving set for persona q the 3ds xl case with teddy in it and the cast on the front is so snazzy

• Locked thread