Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I'm not sure why no one is picking up that his hair is made out of those worm things. I mean it's fairly obvious guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'll probably keep watching it along with The Last Ship and Dominion as time fillers till something worth watching comes back on air v:shobon:v

Dominion is so horrible it's does a 360 to being a amazing show.

Plus there's not another show that has angels being blown out the sky by a minigun.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I read all the books and I'm stoked to see how they translate everything into TV. Over the course of all three there were a lot of great, horrifying things. Is the step dad Captain America?

In a perfect world Russel Brand would have been Gabriel Bolivar. Gus is just like I pictured him in my head though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'll probably keep watching it along with The Last Ship and Dominion as time fillers till something worth watching comes back on air v:shobon:v

I'm with you on this. My biggest problem with Stephen King is that he's often one of the worst offenders of "telling instead of showing" (HEY GUYS DO YOU SEE WHAT's GOING ON HERE?) and it comes through on the show. Some of the characters and concepts seemed interesting, though. Also: Sean Astin.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

tadashi posted:

My biggest problem with Stephen King

But Stephen King has nothing to do with this show?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, I bet Sean Astin is going to be mighty mad when he realizes he gave that ring wraith an easy was to cross the river without riding down to the ferry.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's weird, I've read all the books but I can't remember if Astin's character does the same thing there he does here.

I like GDT but I found the books frustrating, mainly because at key moments some characters make some ridiculous decisions. It is however bursting with crazy ideas (I can't wait for the character Danny Trejo will inevitibly play) and has some great set pieces. With some better writing it'll make for some good TV.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Man, I bet Sean Astin is going to be mighty mad when he realizes he gave that ring wraith an easy was to cross the river without riding down to the ferry.

With all of the card business I feel like he has to have a pretty good clue that he just did something involved in spreading the disease, if not the specifics about grim reaper Dracula.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
SO I watched the pilot and thought it looked kinda neat. It was pretty fun.

Would I be doing a disservice to myself if I were to read the books before the show itself is finished, or should I do the show first, and then the books? If the books are just that much better than the show then I'd probably just read 'em.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Drifter posted:

SO I watched the pilot and thought it looked kinda neat. It was pretty fun.

Would I be doing a disservice to myself if I were to read the books before the show itself is finished, or should I do the show first, and then the books? If the books are just that much better than the show then I'd probably just read 'em.

The books are making the show more boring for me, but it's mostly because the more interesting stuff happens towards the end of the first book, in comparison.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I enjoyed the pilot and I'm not one for zombie/monster shows. I don't even watch The Walking Dead.

E: this guy is giving me Jeffrey Combs vibes. Man, that guy needs a role on an FX show.

E2: holy poo poo those Simpsons commercials. :stare:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 21, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

The books are making the show more boring for me, but it's mostly because the more interesting stuff happens towards the end of the first book, in comparison.

Perhaps I'll just watch the show once it's completely aired if I enjoy the books. I'll watch one more episode tonight before I make any rash decisions.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Jesus gently caress.

This show reminds me of some really stretched out off the wall episode of The X Files.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 21, 2014

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm diggin it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's stupid as hell, but I'm loving it.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Can't wait for that bitch lawyer survivor to get decapitated by old guy vampire hunter (this probably wont happen).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Secuirty guard 4 feet away: "thats and odd conversation to have with your lawyer"

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
*2 days later* Hey, we never heard back from the morgue guy and apparently nobody went to the morgue or like tried to call him in that time. Well, time to check that out!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah that was ridiculous. No one in the city went to the city morgue all day?

But was it two days? I thought it seemed from one night to the next.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teek posted:

Maybe, the sense of time is pretty strange. He had enough time to go to an AA meeting in the middle of it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

*2 days later* Hey, we never heard back from the morgue guy and apparently nobody went to the morgue or like tried to call him in that time. Well, time to check that out!

This show, like all infection based pandemic shows, requires the initial response to be mind numbingly stupid for the disease to spread. Yeah, the two medical docs who've examined the corpses personally from the CDC clearly know that it wasn't a CO poisoning incident but better get uppity lawyer woman to call her high political-office friend to override their ruling.

Sec of Health "Do you really want to do devastating damage to the NY economy on a hunch?"

NTSB guy "Oh, your personal problems are affecting your work, let it go"

Isn't the whole point of the CDC quarantine to prevent mass pandemics, like Bird flu, SARS, etc. I'm pretty sure any government official over riding disease protocol to score points with her buddy would get absolutely destroyed by the political opposition.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I though it was weird they didn't mention that the doctor was an alcoholic until now.

This show is pretty dumb but I'll keep watching.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sucrose posted:

I though it was weird they didn't mention that the doctor was an alcoholic until now.

This show is pretty dumb but I'll keep watching.

The old guy's face after he saw the unhooded Master is enough to keep me hooked for the season. Things are going to get gruesome.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Master's voice was pretty cool, as well.

The show's fun. I'm going to keep watching it. :hellyeah:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Teek posted:

It is ridiculous. No one notices the medical examiners department has gone AWOL for how many hours(?). No one gives a poo poo about the made-up CO story or that there's possibly a huge biological epidemic hitting NYC because cancelling some flights might make the stock exchange go down for a bit. It's pretty loving ridiculous, but it has zombies...or vampires....or zompires?

Whatever, I like it.

Sucrose posted:

In the first episode baldy does mention that he did quit drinking for his wife and kid. I figured the obligatory AA meeting was coming (ugh), I'm just glad they got it out of they way now. As it stands, it's just a cheap character tool to reinforce the idea that "this guy really loves his job, and kid too". Terriers had a way better drunk, but oh well.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 21, 2014

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Show is decent so far. I loved the books despite the mediocre writing in parts. I would encourage everyone to stick with this show because it has the potential to turn into a gem. The source material has some really cool concepts and mythology that would show well on TV if they use it right. After watching the second episode I would definitely tell you to withhold judgement for a few more episodes because we have barely gotten into the story. All that being said, at this point I could see it going either way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SouthLAnd posted:

Terriers had a way better drunk, but oh well.

Man, that was a REALLY good show. I liked it a lot.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

Man, that was a REALLY good show. I liked it a lot.

I shouldn't have mentioned the show, it seems to come up whenever a new show airs on FX. It was well received here, and by the whole 9 other people that watched it.

Isko
May 20, 2008
Personally, I'm enjoying the hell out of this show. Yeah, some of it is silly like the incompetence and I guess the family drama could be done a little better but none of that stuff is bad enough to detract from the show for me. For a TV show, I think it is doing pretty good. The vampire stuff is really cool and I'm looking forward to seeing more episodes.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I really could do without the whole AA and divorce story. It just makes the show drag on and on for me in what feels very unimportant

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Teek posted:

Yeah, the show is sort of hilarious for details like that. Nobody answering the phones at the medical examiner for the largest city in the United States for over a day and all the corpses being missing would probably result in a SWAT team being sent in.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is that french speaking guy supposed to be from Quebec or something? because I literally need the english subtitles to understand what he is saying.

I guess those first two episodes were supposed to be exposition, and thus a little low on action, but next week should be dealing with the empty morgue, the various infectees turning into vampires (my bet is on the pilot dying in his hospital bed, goth singer going crazy with power, lawyer bitch going even bitchier and absolutely average guy killing those he loves in a fit of blood hunger), the dead coming back to life, rich dude getting splattered and Abraham breaking out of jail.

Bling Bling
Jun 9, 2001
Women are bitches since they won't fuck me.
Good thing the little French girl knew exactly how to walk to her dad's house from the morgue.

Also convenient Papa brought a framed picture of her to the airport when he went to pick her up.

Wanted to like it but the writing and cliches...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

Show is decent so far. I loved the books despite the mediocre writing in parts. I would encourage everyone to stick with this show because it has the potential to turn into a gem. The source material has some really cool concepts and mythology that would show well on TV if they use it right. After watching the second episode I would definitely tell you to withhold judgement for a few more episodes because we have barely gotten into the story. All that being said, at this point I could see it going either way.

This. If you have enough interest in the show that you watched the first two episodes, please please stick with it at least for another month or so. The overall story hasn't even really begun yet, there's so much more cool stuff to come just in (what I would assume to be) the first season.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Much slower episode last night I thought, not enjoying the Custody/AA side stuff but I'll stick with it for now. Setrakian is the most interesting character so far.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Bling Bling posted:

Wanted to like it but the writing and cliches...

It's a bad show, but it's not an un-fun show. Good creature effects, some scary moments, and Corey Stoll's hairpiece is nearly comic relief in some scenes. Also Mia Maestro isn't as good as most of the actors in Sharknado.

The bit in last night's episode where they referenced one of the coolest scenes from Cronos (licking the blood off the floor) was a kick in the teeth though. Don't remind me that the show COULD HAVE been great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

It's a bad show, but it's not an un-fun show. Good creature effects, some scary moments, and Corey Stoll's hairpiece is nearly comic relief in some scenes. Also Mia Maestro isn't as good as most of the actors in Sharknado.

The bit in last night's episode where they referenced one of the coolest scenes from Cronos (licking the blood off the floor) was a kick in the teeth though. Don't remind me that the show COULD HAVE been great.

I really do apologize if I'm unnecessarily repeating myself, but if you think its fun to this point get ready for a pretty crazy ride. I'm expecting that once the insanity is properly amped up the clichés/ham-fisted writing will be much easier to overlook.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Bling Bling posted:

Good thing the little French girl knew exactly how to walk to her dad's house from the morgue.

That's actually a pretty important plot point.

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009

Flatscan posted:

That's actually a pretty important plot point.

Does it have anything to do with the "power of wuv" mentioned in the closing voiceover at the end of the pilot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

tatopom posted:

Does it have anything to do with the "power of wuv" mentioned in the closing voiceover at the end of the pilot?

Yea, the worms use personal connections between people as the mechanism for spreading the infection as fast as possible. Something to do with brain chemicals. The idea is people will hesitate when they see a loved one and won't fight back.

• Locked thread