Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hooray! Football! I'm not sure of all the exact dates, but I believe all camps are starting sometime this week or next week. Post your tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Bills open camp today.

No Kiko so Rivers, Bradham and Spikes at LB.
No Cordy Glenn at LT, undisclosed illness. Seantrel Henderson filled in at start of proceedings but has since gone off with an injury.
Watkins already catching deep bombs off EJ.

E: Now Marquise Goodwin is down with an injury. 2 in 90min! Wooooo.

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 21, 2014

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TG-Chrono posted:

Watkins already catching deep bombs off EJ.

The Bills hope and next great QB/WR combo has begun!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Jeff Tuel throws better bombs.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000364802/article/2014-nfl-training-camp-reporting-dates-and-locations

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 21, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Dumb question, but I'm stumped. Did the Jaguars ever have some kind of training camp in the Navajo Nation, specifically Monument Valley? I've been there twice, and they are all Jaguars fans there (a pleasant surprise), and say that the team came over to practice one year. The only other place I can find that they practiced was somewhere in Wisconsin, in '95. A bunch of people in the shops there have team photos and pictures of the ROAR.

Now they practice in the dumpster behind Tailgaters.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 21, 2014

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

The Packers released a picture from the MRI of Jermichael Finley's spine to the media

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

It seems everyone on the Ravens roster is out of jail and ready for camp.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sour Diesel posted:

Did they win their scrimmage against the guards?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Ok so somebody asked me a question that I genuinely didn't have an answer for.

Why do most teams still have their camp out of town? Is it just tradition?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

GNU Order posted:

I imagine it's at least partly to make sure no one's with their friends and family so they can focus on :siren: FOOTBAWL!!! :siren:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just a guess but it makes sense--I'd imagine it's cheaper in a lot of cases to rent out a college in the summer and use their facilities than it is to put everyone in a hotel close to the team facilities or whatever, also some people might like getting a 'camp' mindset where everyone's forced to hang out together constantly.

Some southern teams used to go up north to get cooler weather but it looks like that doesn't happen anymore, probably so they can make more money off of local fans who don't have to travel as far.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also camp is really fun and you should go.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I went to the Bears camp and it was incredibly dull and teeming with dumb homers

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Completely talking out of my rear end but maybe it's also easier for the stadium to focus on summer concerts and events and not have football workouts mucking things up.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

GNU Order posted:

Staying in close vicinity like that has to force some interpersonal relationships to grow (or to give Steve Smith a chance to punch a teammate). If any of your guys actually become legit friends or you have a player who is out of shape and you néed to thrash him then training camp will do that for yiu

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

GNU Order posted:

Tradition.

Giants stopped when they realized their own home facilities were better then whenever they could go for camp after the lockout. Then again they have a pretty sweet complex with multiple outdoor fields and a full length indoor.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Giants might start camp with 6 non scrubs on the PuP.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sour Diesel posted:

Remember when the season ended and we looked forward to maybe seeing Ray Rice turn things around

:smith:

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Remember when the season ended and we looked forward to maybe seeing Ray Rice turn things around

:smith:

Once his suspension is up I still am simply because he's going to be the starting runningback on the team. Guy is still a piece of poo poo, though.

Aside from having both of his legs injured and the league's worst line, Rice was an idiot and put on about 20 pounds because he wanted to try and be a power-back. He lost all that weight and is around the weight he's been outside of the 2013 season. If the line is even mediocre I think he can still have at least a season or two of the Ray Rice we're used to seeing. That's just me being a homer though.

If he can't do his usual Turn poo poo Into Gold style of running, he can still be effective in space as a dumpoff target.

JakeLiebenow
Apr 21, 2013
It's been an extremely quiet off-season so far for the Colts. I think the only thing that really happened was LaVonn Brazill being all :catdrugs: and people rewatching the Trent Richardson tapes to provide false hope that this man's worthwhile.

A guy can dream, I guess. Until then, loving boring waiting around for training camp.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I wish it was only the Bengals who had camp at their own stadium itd be so perfect. "Why should I pay to rent a field?! I own this one!"

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

JakeLiebenow posted:

It's been an extremely quiet off-season so far for the Colts. I think the only thing that really happened was LaVonn Brazill being all :catdrugs: and people rewatching the Trent Richardson tapes to provide false hope that this man's worthwhile.

A guy can dream, I guess. Until then, loving boring waiting around for training camp.

You forgot Irsay's DUI

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just wish the Bengals had Hard Knocks every year. Stupid Falcons.

JakeLiebenow
Apr 21, 2013

Zypher posted:

You forgot Irsay's DUI

I'm sorry, I thought this was a thread for news. Irsay getting a DUI is like a steakhouse serving steak.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

David Wilson has finally been cleared for contact, death pool?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

I just wish the Bengals had Hard Knocks every year. Stupid Falcons.

Are we doing that combined practice again, if so you might be part of one episode?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Are we doing that combined practice again, if so you might be part of one episode?
No.

I just read somewhere last year's Bears draft pick Greene might not make it. What are the odds? I remember him being one of the higher rated LBs last year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I guess Friday is when I'll find out if Andre Johnson is going to be a Texan this season

:sigh:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

davecrazy posted:

Giants might start camp with 6 non scrubs on the PuP.

water wet, sky blue

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Lions vets are reporting later than anybody, to a team with a new coaching staff and new schemes on both sides of the ball.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Business as usual in Detroit...

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Atticus Finch posted:

No.

I just read somewhere last year's Bears draft pick Greene might not make it. What are the odds? I remember him being one of the higher rated LBs last year.

Christian Jones is pushing to knock him out of his job, if a really bad projected roster by the ESPN beat writer is to be believed.

Tbqh I think Jones is the better prospect but I don't think Greene gets cut.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Cruel and Unusual posted:

The Lions vets are reporting later than anybody, to a team with a new coaching staff and new schemes on both sides of the ball.

training camps are a set length regardless of when they begin iirc

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

David Wilson is cleared to break his neck and get paralyzed on live TV!

Oh and Chris Snee's retirement is official. He was planning on coming back, but injury problems forced him out.

Now only Eli and the long snapper are left from '07.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

EJ and Sammy look like new BFFs. Watkins is embarrassing McKelvin.

Dareus is still an idiot and couldn't pass his conditioning test.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

@AlbertBreer 9m
Bills LB Brandon Spikes was just taken from practice into the trainer's tent. Look like it might've been a hip.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Jesus christ Bills

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Burger Trench posted:

EJ and Sammy look like new BFFs. Watkins is embarrassing McKelvin.

Dareus is still an idiot and couldn't pass his conditioning test.

Part of me really wants Watkins to do well. But for him to do well, EJ has to do well, and I am not sure if the Bills really need think of EJ Manuel as the answer to the question, "who is our franchise quarterback?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jeez Bills, save it for the preseason.

In nobody cares Patriots news, someone's cat walked across the keyboard:

Patriots sign free agent DL Eathyn Manumaleuna; Release DL Seali'i Epenesa.

• Locked thread