Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, the worms use personal connections between people as the mechanism for spreading the infection as fast as possible. Something to do with brain chemicals. The idea is people will hesitate when they see a loved one and won't fight back.

Thanksgiving and the inlaws visiting are the vampires only weaknesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I just really love how poorly everyone is handling this situation.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CODChimera posted:

TO me, the funniest part is how apparently the master vampire shits over all the people he kills.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CODChimera posted:

Yeah, the way and reason they ditched the quarantine is just completely idiotic. Someone doesn't want to be in it, calls his high up friends and the whole population is being put at risk because said someone feels irked by it.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Drifter posted:

TO me, the funniest part is how apparently the master vampire shits over all the people he kills.

All of the vampires do all the time apparently. Mega gross.

The books start out pretty whatever and cliched, but man, I really enjoyed this story and how it progresses and ends. I'd recommend the books if you like pulpy (or whatever, maybe campy is a better descriptor?) horror novels. The whole mythology of the vampires in the story as well as the old man Setrakian's story are really neat.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 21, 2014

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Drifter posted:

He's essentially a giant tick. All that blood has to go somewhere.

This show seems like silly horror fun even if it's not a masterpiece, so I'll keep watching.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

CODChimera posted:

YES, the end of the world will probably rely on people being stupid and apathetic.

Similarly, Dario Argento's Mother of Tears is not a good movie at all, but the fact that the world is ending and people just fail to notice or care until it's too late was a really great idea. The new Dawn of the Dead did this pretty well too, but on a smaller scale.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This episode was dumb as bricks, but they could perhaps have mitigated it by airing the first two episode as one pilot.

Too little happening for my taste.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BlackJosh posted:

All of the vampires do all the time apparently. Mega gross.

The books start out pretty whatever and cliched, but man, I really enjoyed this story and how it progresses and ends. I'd recommend the books if you like pulpy (or whatever, maybe campy is a better descriptor?) horror novels. The whole mythology of the vampires in the story as well as the old man Setrakian's story are really neat.

Yea I remember that in the books I really started to get into the story around the time your given backstory of how Setrakian and The Master came to know each other. The second half of the first book is pretty awesome.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, the way and reason they ditched the quarantine is just completely idiotic. Someone doesn't want to be in it, calls his high up friends and the whole population is being put at risk because said someone feels irked by it.

The old man mentioned in a comment to vampire aide that he'd simply overwhelm the public with misinformation and force them to release the survivors. That explains why there's a comprehensive "This was CO poisoning" report that the Secretary can toss down and say "Your authority is revoked"

I think it's still stupid, but at least the show gives us a plausible explanation for it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I could happily go the rest of my life without ever seeing another piece of fiction use AA as crutch to have a character openly state their motivations, conflicts, and personality.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, the worms use personal connections between people as the mechanism for spreading the infection as fast as possible. Something to do with brain chemicals. The idea is people will hesitate when they see a loved one and won't fight back.

I saw it as the old zombie trope

Basically the newly risen vampires still have memories of their past and use it to return home

Also pretty much any sort of vampire or zombie takeover plot needs lots of horrible plot crutches since in reality they really wouldn't have much chance against a technologically advanced apex predator that also starts out with a big advantage in numbers.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I waited until I got through like 2/3 of the first before watching the TV show and I had everyone pegged looks wise except the Pest Control guy. Once the story changes gears on the show it's going to be pretty :tviv:. I'm looking forward to Setrakian's backstory. It feels like they're going to devote an entire episode to it, which should be great.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dear god, is the show really trying to have a bad-rear end health inspector?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Dear god, is the show really trying to have a bad-rear end health inspector?

You'll eat those words.

But seriously, give him a few episodes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never need to see another AA meeting on TV again.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Im really grossed out by this show

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've decided to take this show as seriously as Sleepy Hollow.

Consequently, I'm enjoying it just as much.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The most glaringly lame thing about monster shows are the hands that are so obviously gloves, and it's a drat shame this is no exception. How hard is it to have a wire running down each finger so that the final knuckle of the fingers bend? That big bad guy's hands look like a little kid is trying to wiggle fingers around in his dad's glove. Also the zoidberg-esque CG running shots of the monster are a bit silly as well. Reminded me of a big jazz hand exiting the scene.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
For something else, that Kevin Durand, he's like a real life caricature to me. Something's uncanny valley wrong with his face.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Vasilliy Fet is much hotter than I pictured in my head. I approve.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the boss vampire never read the evil overlord guide.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Pinwiz11 posted:

Vasilliy Fet is much hotter than I pictured in my head. I approve.

I'm glad they casted someone who actually speaks Russian. Even though it might not be used in the story much, it adds some authenticity. It's a cool little detail.

Dominic West would have been great in this. Not many better heroic alcoholics than McNulty was.

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008
Can everyone please stop having a serious discussion and post more jokes about Corey Stoll's hairpiece? I'm finding them more entertaining than the show itself.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That was some good VFX because I didn't notice any hairpiece

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The season finale will have him facing off against the master vampire and as they stand beside each other he'll go "here, buddy" and put the wig onto the vampire's bald head and says more, "You know, that's the problem with you vampires", and then the sun comes up and the vampire poofs into ashes and the camera shot cuts to a pile of ash with a wig and then the CDC guy takes off his sunglasses and tosses them on the ashes such that it looks like the ashes is wearing them as well and then he says to Van Helsing or whomever he was "You're hair today, but gone tomorrow." Van Helsing looks at CDC guy and says "I did nazi that coming." And then they both laugh and walk down the street.

As the old dude and the CDC guy walk into the sunrise, and as it all fades to black for the credits, instead of a tooth sparkle a sunbeam makes his newly bald head sparkle.

After the credits a worm crawls from out of the ashes and wriggles away wearing the sunglasses and hairpiece.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

RichardDunn posted:

Can everyone please stop having a serious discussion and post more jokes about Corey Stoll's hairpiece? I'm finding them more entertaining than the show itself.

Apparently there are ~legitimate~ reasons for the hairpiece. Very mild spoilers in that article I guess.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

smg77 posted:

Apparently there are ~legitimate~ reasons for the hairpiece. Very mild spoilers in that article I guess.

So basically Patrick Stewart's funny one man two roles funny story?

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Basebf555 posted:

You'll eat those words.

But seriously, give him a few episodes.

This. Fet (who doesn't look anything like I pictured) and Gus become way more badass.

I liked Joan's (bitchy lawyer) creepy ebola eyes and bleeding gums in the bar scene. I'm excited to see more crazy makeup sfx on the transitioning to vampires.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Whispering Machines posted:

This. Fet (who doesn't look anything like I pictured) and Gus become way more badass.

I liked Joan's (bitchy lawyer) creepy ebola eyes and bleeding gums in the bar scene. I'm excited to see more crazy makeup sfx on the transitioning to vampires.

the recent episode also sort of gave us sexposition

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

etalian posted:

the recent episode also sort of gave us sexposition

Ya fx is getting way more skin showing friendly. Just waiting for the day we get to see tits.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I know this is a really dumb thing to be bugged by, but did no one in the show, like say oh the doctors, notice how all the survivors are suddenly about 10 shades paler? They already look like walking corpses, and no one thinks that's weird? I mean wtf.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Ya fx is getting way more skin showing friendly. Just waiting for the day we get to see tits.

had plenty of boobage during the rock star groupie scene

I guess the other side effect of transformation is getting a bad case of crotch rot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drifter posted:

The season finale will have him facing off against the master vampire and as they stand beside each other he'll go "here, buddy" and put the wig onto the vampire's bald head and says more, "You know, that's the problem with you vampires", and then the sun comes up and the vampire poofs into ashes and the camera shot cuts to a pile of ash with a wig and then the CDC guy takes off his sunglasses and tosses them on the ashes such that it looks like the ashes is wearing them as well and then he says to Van Helsing or whomever he was "You're hair today, but gone tomorrow." Van Helsing looks at CDC guy and says "I did nazi that coming." And then they both laugh and walk down the street.

As the old dude and the CDC guy walk into the sunrise, and as it all fades to black for the credits, instead of a tooth sparkle a sunbeam makes his newly bald head sparkle.

After the credits a worm crawls from out of the ashes and wriggles away wearing the sunglasses and hairpiece.

I would watch that.

If I had known this was about vampires before watching the pilot I wouldn't have watched it but oh well, the fun stuff from Ep1 is keeping me in the game for now.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just started reading the first book. It's startling how poor the writing is at times but there is something addictive about the story and my lovely attention span is digging the 3 paragraph chapters

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

Just started reading the first book. It's startling how poor the writing is at times but there is something addictive about the story and my lovely attention span is digging the 3 paragraph chapters

it's a drunk and bored at the airport tier book.

The TV show pretty much is dull for all the forced human elements like family infighting but gets back to being awesome during the horror scenes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I got bored and read a synopsis on the book series and uh yeah this could shape up to be something cool alright :suspense: Hopefully they get away from boring family drama bullshit and focus more on body horror and Abraham & Friends.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

etalian posted:

had plenty of boobage during the rock star groupie scene

I guess the other side effect of transformation is getting a bad case of crotch rot.

Side boob doesn't count. I'm talking full on nips.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Guillermo Del Toro said that the wig will be gone by the end of the season. So good news I think?

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-strain-to-lose-its-most-monstrous-creation-of-all-corey-stolls-wig/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
HIS HAIR JUST HAS VOLUME IT'S NOT A WIG

Leave Corey Stolls alone!!!

Speaking of wigs and nipples and whatnot, are there wigs for chests? Like, what if some stylish manscapers thought "You know what would look fabulous alongside my stars and stripes paid speedos? A little Tom Selleck chestache."

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 22, 2014

• Locked thread