Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
So Bosworth is gay as hell but closeted, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Back from vacation and just caught up on the last two episodes. This show is all over the place, with it's characters and whatever computer thing they are building. All the characters unlikeable and I don't care anymore what they are building. It's become something I play in the background as I do other things.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

unlimited shrimp posted:

So Bosworth is gay as hell but closeted, right?

I thought he punched the dude cuz he thought the remark might have been aimed at Joe and it was enough to finally make him snap after taking personal insults from that rear end in a top hat all night.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I dunno, I've had the impression for a few eps that Bosworth is closeted or that they'll take the character in that direction.
Failing marriage + extreme reaction to relatively mild homophobic comment seem to hint at that as well.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
If they were dropping hints that Boz is gay, they went right over my head. I took it more as Boz saying two things: first, I'm not as stupid as you (Joe) think I am -- I totally read you like a book, and second, I got your back.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Jake Armitage posted:

If they were dropping hints that Boz is gay, they went right over my head. I took it more as Boz saying two things: first, I'm not as stupid as you (Joe) think I am -- I totally read you like a book, and second, I got your back.

I agree, I was thinking that while normally Joe and Boz were opposed, Boz is the captain of a ship that's starting to slip below water and Joe is the bilge pump. With that idiot designer, he was ripping them off for a design they didn't like. We know that Boz will use violence against people he thinks are jerking him around. The gay innuendo comment just broke the camel's back.

Also:

me, about last episode posted:

Gordon on the other hand waffles back and forth between being smart enough to survive and too dogged for his own good. On one hand, he's not going to let anything stop him from accomplishing what he focuses on (getting a doll, pc design). But he's probably not smart enough to realize when to stop (b&e in a life threatening storm, ignoring his family & getting manipulated by joe).
Add "proving he knows what he's talking about (re: the buried giant)" to that list of examples.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Yeah, this show, I dunno.

Cameron suddenly has real feelings for Joe after zero indication of that in any other episode. And Gordon, who I initially enjoyed as the "everyman", is turning into an angry nut job. Every episode seems to involve him becoming angry and exasperated at the latest computer changes, followed by some inner turmoil, as he goes on some journey to solve or recognize that inner turmoil. Dead birds, dead human, buried giants, blah, blah, metaphors.

Just build the loving computer already.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bachelor Numpad posted:

I loved Bosworth punching that guy in the face. I want a gif of that. Also, what was the significance of him looking at that computer magazine and then making that call?

I like Joe and Bosworth playing on the same team (and I don't mean that metaphorically).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Haha, look at how crazy I am! I'll grab some live wires because I'm such a crazy adrenaline junkie. Meanwhile my engineer is outside digging a hole to China looking for a giant that doesn't exist because he's crazy too. Also the girl I'm having sex with is only slightly less stable than me and constantly needs me to reaffirm my affection for her...but I can't! BECAUSE I'M CRAZY.

This show can help but gently caress with everyone to some extent. I thought at least Joe would be sort of level headed and maybe just under the thumb of the owner but NO! He's got issues going on of his own and I'm sure we'll see how crazy he is later on.

I hated that whole episode. Start to finish it was loving awful. The stupid build up to Gordon's wife wanting to cheat on him. Joe having a previous bisexual relationship with David Palmer's brother. Random designer who likes to hang out at Strip Clubs and act like a complete asshat. Texas owner man deciding to ruin his own company but shutting down the only thing his company seems to be attempting to make, given that they fired everyone else.

Christ what a poo poo show. This show moves entirely too fast and rushes the character development way too quickly. We're still trying to get to know these characters and they've made practically all of them unlikable.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I think the best way to describe the characters is that AMC split Don Draper's personality into 3 people. lovely childhood and glorious ad-man bullshitting goes to Joe, starry eyed creative looking to the future goes to Cameron, and drunk neurotic perfectionist goes to Gordon.

I'm enjoying the show but Gordon's parts are probably what I like the least, as opposed to his wife who is played wonderfully.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
:shrug: I like this show. But then I wasn't expecting it to be Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

Also, Cameron has been showing genuine feelings for Joe for a while. If they were just gently caress buddies, she wouldn't have been so emotional when they ended it that one time, and it wouldn't have been a huge deal to go to Joe's apartment and get her tapes back.

And the episode before this one, there was a huge emotional rift because she was upset at his rejection (which she also equated with his rejection of her magical OS).

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Everyone does realise that Bosworth is Artie The Strongest Man In The World from the Adventures of Pete and Pete, right?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Fakename posted:

Everyone does realise that Bosworth is Artie The Strongest Man In The World from the Adventures of Pete and Pete, right?

Toby Huss is a fantastic character actor and it's worth watching anything he's in, even if it's poo poo, just to watch him do his thing.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that is him. And I spent 10 minutes of the episode wondering why Wayne Palmer was designing cases.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

grilldos posted:

Toby Huss is a fantastic character actor and it's worth watching anything he's in, even if it's poo poo, just to watch him do his thing.

He's one of my favorite Seinfeld characters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5I60vNoybs.

He's such a good actor that Bosworth doesn't even seem at all like the same person. I don't know Texas accents but I feel like it's pretty good too.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, I certainly never made the connection between Artie and The Wiz so him also being Bosworth blows my mind. That explains why he's the best character on this show.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

As a Texan I'm pretty surprised he's actually not from here or at least from somewhere in the South, his accent is pretty spot on.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Ooo, and he was Stumpy in Carnivale. No wonder he looks familiar.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

:shrug: I like this show. But then I wasn't expecting it to be Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

Me too, actually. Though I do wonder if Joe eventually cracks and starts murdering people. Or Gordon, now. Or Cameron. Murder for everyone?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Thank you so much for this. I can't stop listening to LAZERHAWK.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Their "talkative" OS seems like it would blow everyone's minds in the mid 80s.

Gordon and Cameron bonding over their shared tech obsession is probably the best conversation this show has had. This show needs more focus on the human aspect of the tech geniuses rather goofy IT problems. Then we got some real emotion from Joe as he confronted his father and all the mysterious behavior we've seen from him starts to make sense. That followed by Bosworth being able to b.s enough to make it seem like he was the sole party responsible for the bank hack push this show up from "meh summer place holder" to "holy poo poo these characters are really really good."

A lot the episode reviews more or less have the same tone, and even with low ratings if they can carry this momentum through to the end of the season they might get a renewal.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If they get a second season then I am cautiously optimistic that the next season will be 100x better.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
It's really a shame the early episodes probably torpedoed any hope of a second season because these last few have been trending up and tonight's was great.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
Did something like their proto-Siri actually exist in the 80's?

Namaste Gordon. After the last episode I figured he was on his way to a padded room. Nice to see him be the one to rally. Kinda surprised Joe caved so quickly. Is this the end of Bosworth? Hope not. I like this show. I genuinely want them to succeed. Please be good next 2 episodes!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I overscheduled my DVR last night by recording six things at once, so the new episode didn't record. Bummer. The next showing is tonight at 2:00 AM.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

unlimited shrimp posted:

If they get a second season then I am cautiously optimistic that the next season will be 100x better.

It really has hit its stride. Hopefully they give it one more chance.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hitachi posted:

It's really a shame the early episodes probably torpedoed any hope of a second season because these last few have been trending up and tonight's was great.

Yeah, the pacing for the season has been odd. You have 5 episodes of building the bare blocks of the Giant amid Gordon imploding in rage or alcoholism every 5 seconds; Joe using sex and backstabbing to torpedo deals to get funding, and Cameron alternately staring at code, freaking out, or banging Joe.

The jump in quality to where the show is now is definitely like the jump in quality that Rubicon had and happens at around the same time.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
The show seems to work better when the drama involves "outside forces vs. the team" compared to "the team vs. the team."

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
People really thought that last episode was good? It wasn't beginning of the season bad, but it felt like filler to me. The only part that had much substance was Boz but I can't get over how preposterous it all is. His transition from skeptic to true believer is feeling a little rushed, and what he's doing now... I mean we're talking federal crime here. Even Joe was like gently caress it, I'm out, but Boz just bends over like a champ? I didn't really buy any of it.

And then the end:

I think at this point, they really need to end the season with something huge, something that makes this a series and not just a long miniseries.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm somehow bothered whenever they try to sell the thing as basically Apple in 2014 plus Apple in 1994, rather than Compaq or Columbia Data Products in 1982. Look, even though it's the 1980s, we have our own Siri, and we want our first computer to actually be a laptop, and it will weigh less than a fridge, and have color and everything! I vaguely remember computers from the late 80s, and they really didn't feel like what Cameron keeps promising.

And her operating system looks like Bob.

Maybe I should not expect this to be a documentary.

But really, the spirit they're presenting feels a lot more like the alternatives to the IBM PC - Commodore, Apple, Acorn - than like the vision behind the IBM compatibles.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jake Armitage posted:

People really thought that last episode was good? It wasn't beginning of the season bad, but it felt like filler to me. The only part that had much substance was Boz but I can't get over how preposterous it all is. His transition from skeptic to true believer is feeling a little rushed, and what he's doing now... I mean we're talking federal crime here. Even Joe was like gently caress it, I'm out, but Boz just bends over like a champ? I didn't really buy any of it.

And then the end:

I think at this point, they really need to end the season with something huge, something that makes this a series and not just a long miniseries.

In the show its been almost a year since IBM showed up to neuter the company, and in that time Boz has been reading every tech manual he can and getting Cameron to help him figure out how the industry is going to work. He knows Cardiff is dead without the PC and as he got closer and more involved he started to believe this is the only chance for Cardiff to rise from obscurity.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Cingulate posted:

Maybe I should not expect this to be a documentary.

Well, since this is so fictionalized, they really have two options here, and 8 episodes in I have no idea which one it is. Either this is an alternate universe, and they are about to change the world with something none of us in this universe had the privilege of seeing, or they are another also-ran from that era that failed miserably and was lost in the garbage heap of history. Their vision for this computer jumped the rails of reality a few episodes ago, for sure.

pentyne posted:

this is the only chance for Cardiff to rise from obscurity.

I get that, but it still seems like a dramatic thing to do, when the alternative is to just get another job. Basically exactly what Joe considered. He'd have to believe in this so deeply that he feels its worth it to spend a few years in pound-me-in-the-rear end prison waiting for this big reward at the end of the tunnel.

The problem with that is, just moments earlier he's whining about how much they want to spend on shrimp at comdex. Next scene, he's surrendering to the feds.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 21, 2014

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
This is basically my response to the latest episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkyoHohhCIA

Edit: Much like their fictional computer, the Comdex episode better kill

pzy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 21, 2014

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!
Am I imagining it, or did Gordon get a new hairstyle in this episode, one that more closely resembles Joe's, or just more clean-cut?

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I enjoyed that episode.

Also a friend commented on the intro saying that it's, "Electronic sperm meets egg, and a computer is conceived." Maybe that was obvious to you folks, but I can't believe I didn't see what was going on there until now.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Jetrock posted:

Am I imagining it, or did Gordon get a new hairstyle in this episode, one that more closely resembles Joe's, or just more clean-cut?
His entire wardrobe changed. He went from frumpy dadlord to a black hoodie-wearing cool dude, because he's back to being the crazy guy he was when he was younger. It was really on the nose but it's the kind of thing that can get refined and finessed in later seasons.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

pentyne posted:

In the show its been almost a year since IBM showed up to neuter the company, and in that time Boz has been reading every tech manual he can and getting Cameron to help him figure out how the industry is going to work. He knows Cardiff is dead without the PC and as he got closer and more involved he started to believe this is the only chance for Cardiff to rise from obscurity.

You sure about that? They said they had two months worth of cash to get the thing built before the company went under. That was like episode 1 or 2. Or am I forgetting something?

I like Boz since he has come on board the idea of this computer. But I agree he seems to have gone from antagonist to true believer really fast. Let's not forget, he got his cop friends to beat the poo poo out of Joe not too long ago.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

You sure about that? They said they had two months worth of cash to get the thing built before the company went under. That was like episode 1 or 2. Or am I forgetting something?

That was before the layoffs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheAngryDrunk posted:

That was before the layoffs.

Right, the layoffs, then it was supposed to be 3-6 months for Cameron to write the BIOS, then building the machine would take another 6 months. The break from "We're running out of money" to Boz getting arrested was also a few months. This show has skipped several weeks on average between episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bryn987
May 31, 2014
really liked this episode but gutted about Bosworth. Really great acting but the writers didn't do his character justice.

• Locked thread