Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rincewind posted:

The world's changed, man! Maybe they are just off the shelf!

(I'm sure it isn't but it'd be pretty funny if it were just some store-bought knick-knack)

That would be keeping with her old hippie aunt character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If you have a tumblr you can submit a question for Friday's SDCC Korra panel. In addition to Mike and Bryan, Janet Varney (Korra), David Faustino (Mako), Seychelle Gabriel (Asami), Mindy Sterling (Lin Beifong), and John Michael Higgins (Varrick) are going to be there.
Be the change you want to see in the fandom.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Speaking of Tumblr, for those of us who missed an inside joke in Old Wounds.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

The placebo effect is very powerful, and cancer sometimes goes into random remission, so keep up hope! I'm not being sarcastic. It's been studied and it really happens.

Thanks. :unsmith: His cancer is absurdly rare, and almost impossible to treat, but given he's got no other options, I'm not about to rain on his parade.

Anyway, back on topic, I just rewatched the whole season up until now and pinpointed something else I really like; the bad guys actually experience setbacks. I was always annoyed at how everything seemed to go according to plan with Amon/Unalaq. Neither of them ever really seemed to get thrown off or outmaneuvered until their respective finales. It's nice to see the bad guys actually experience some failures and setbacks and adjust accordingly. It actually makes me respect them more, since I can see their ability to think on-the-fly and work together to get out of sticky situations.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nichael posted:

Not only is that impressive for a kids show, that's impressive for any show. There's an abundance of major characters in Korra that simply don't fit the typical Hollywood lead archetype. Kya, Bumi, and Lin are all childless and at least 60, and all are presumably never married. What other shows acknowledge people like that exist and still function in society?

To be fair, Bumi's probably got kids in every port, he just never met any of them.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I don't know, I don't necessarily like that none of the adults on this show are particularly mature. I get wanting the characters to be flawed enough that they have some challenge to overcome, but all the main adult characters feel pretty childish in a somewhat weird way when you compare them to any minor character or even villain.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

AshB posted:

I don't know, I don't necessarily like that none of the adults on this show are particularly mature. I get wanting the characters to be flawed enough that they have some challenge to overcome, but all the main adult characters feel pretty childish in a somewhat weird way when you compare them to any minor character or even villain.

You haven't spent a lot of time around old people, have you? 60+ adults can be some the most childish people in the world.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AshB posted:

Most adults are in fact squabbling children.

Going to villains though, Amon was basically the guy with daddy issues in Season 1.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Most 50+ people (and these characters are barely 50) I've interacted with have been at work. I'm pretty sure there are tons of adults with the social competence to not think of "giving up your entire life to become a monk" is a good selling point for anything. For all the childish adults out there, it's not like there aren't plenty of mature ones. I mean unless you're in the Legend of Korra universe--then you're hosed.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Hakkesshu posted:

I do think it's funny that half the principal cast of this kids show is comprised of middle-aged fuckups. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Time for you to watch the Venture Bros, then.

Edit: Wait. Kids show. Well, I guess technically the Venture Bros is a kids show, if you have messed up kids.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 22, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

AshB posted:

Most 50+ people (and these characters are barely 50) I've interacted with have been at work. I'm pretty sure there are tons of adults with the social competence to not think of "giving up your entire life to become a monk" is a good selling point for anything. For all the childish adults out there, it's not like there aren't plenty of mature ones. I mean unless you're in the Legend of Korra universe--then you're hosed.

But even the childish adults have still shown they're perfectly capable of being competent and mature, or at least have had such implied about them? Tenzin was a capable and successful politician and teacher for many years. Bumi was a high ranking and presumably decorated military officer. Lin is chief of police for a nation's capital and one of the largest cities in her world, and widely respected for it. Suyin founded and runs a large, successful, and very peaceful city.

I mean, yeah, they have childish moments but that's pretty much any adult. Especially over 50. Hell "giving up your entire life to become a hippie" was a huge thing, and there's still plenty of old people who think that's a fantastic idea.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
You're pointing out pretty much exactly my whole problem with these characters' depiction: the show is telling us they are doing all of these things requiring social competence, but they aren't really showing it. They've just barely started to in this most recent episode.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Tenzin was shown as competent and respected in season one in his duties to Republic City, and given the strength of his children and the number of Air Acolytes he had it's not a big jump to take him as a capable teacher, albeit one who struggles to adapt to the personalities of different students.

Lin was repeatedly shown as being very capable in her role in season one, even if they took most of that from her in season two for whatever reason.

Suyin is pretty new, and I'll agree that we've only recently started seeing more of Bumi's actual ability. There's also Kaya, who generally presents herself as level-headed and capable and even fended off Zaheer pretty well almost entirely on her own.

There's Varrick too, who despite being a total clown is also legitimately a wildly successful businessman. Hell, he's even the only one to have his childishness played as a good thing.

Edit: Also, "social competence" isn't really a universal thing. It's extremely situational. An engineer might be amazingly competent in a social situation involving mostly other engineers, but put him in a speed dating circle and he's going to be awkward as hell.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 22, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Not really germane to the current discussion, but the fight scene between Suyin and Lin was pretty neat to watch. Lin's style of bending is much more rough-and-ready than Suyin's, which struck me as more artistic and graceful. Suyin definitely seems to be somewhat more proficient at metalbending than Lin. Although it could be because Lin was suffering from a lot of stress at the time, so her techniques weren't quite as polished as they could've been, it's still kind of neat to see the difference in styles between the two.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

DrSunshine posted:

Not really germane to the current discussion, but the fight scene between Suyin and Lin was pretty neat to watch. Lin's style of bending is much more rough-and-ready than Suyin's, which struck me as more artistic and graceful. Suyin definitely seems to be somewhat more proficient at metalbending than Lin. Although it could be because Lin was suffering from a lot of stress at the time, so her techniques weren't quite as polished as they could've been, it's still kind of neat to see the difference in styles between the two.

It was really neat. I liked seeing Lin actually use a lot more of her Earthbending too. Though be it intentional or the result of stress, I kind of liked that it was only really Suyin who hosed up her metal house while Lin stuck mostly to hurling rocks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:pseudo: SPECULATION TIME

We know, from upcoming episode titles and some Nickelodeon website filenames, that these villains are the Order of the Red Lotus.

The White Lotus exists, as far as we know, in order to promote unity and cohesion between the four (now five counting the United Republic) (well, six now that the Water Tribes are officially split) different nations. If the Red Lotus is the opposite of that, then their goal is to maintain the division and seclusive nature of the world's nations. For some reason.

But if so, that would explain why they want to hunt down the Avatar, who pretty much personifies the unity of the separate nations, and why they seems to have plans for the president of the United Republic, which was Avatar Aang and Firelord Zuko's grand experiment in bringing separate nations together as one whole new thing.

I predict, then, that by the season's end they're going to end up working with the Earth Queen, who also hates the Avatar and the United Republic for taking Earth Kingdom territory.

The one giant honking massive problem in this analysis is, of course, the fact that the Red Lotus themselves are comprised of four different kinds of benders working together, which seems counterproductive to that whole division of nations thing. But hey, maybe they just don't see the hypocrisy in that.
v:shobon:v

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It was really neat. I liked seeing Lin actually use a lot more of her Earthbending too. Though be it intentional or the result of stress, I kind of liked that it was only really Suyin who hosed up her metal house while Lin stuck mostly to hurling rocks.

Also Lin's comfort zone in metalbending is using the metal cables on the police equipment. Since she didn't have that, she might have defalted to classic earthbending.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

We know, from upcoming episode titles and some Nickelodeon website filenames, that these villains are the Order of the Red Lotus.

The White Lotus exists, as far as we know, in order to promote unity and cohesion between the four (now five counting the United Republic) (well, six now that the Water Tribes are officially split) different nations. If the Red Lotus is the opposite of that, then their goal is to maintain the division and seclusive nature of the world's nations. For some reason.

But if so, that would explain why they want to hunt down the Avatar, who pretty much personifies the unity of the separate nations, and why they seems to have plans for the president of the United Republic, which was Avatar Aang and Firelord Zuko's grand experiment in bringing separate nations together as one whole new thing.

I predict, then, that by the season's end they're going to end up working with the Earth Queen, who also hates the Avatar and the United Republic for taking Earth Kingdom territory.

The one giant honking massive problem in this analysis is, of course, the fact that the Red Lotus themselves are comprised of four different kinds of benders working together, which seems counterproductive to that whole division of nations thing. But hey, maybe they just don't see the hypocrisy in that.
v:shobon:v

For my money I'd predict they're going to wreck the Earth Queen's poo poo, honestly.

One episode IS called 'Long Live the Queen', after all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Doesn't that actually make it sound like the queen is going to emerge victorious or something? Which would certainly be the case if she allies with them.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Maybe it's a somewhat ironic title, and she actually dies. "The Queen is dead! Long live the Queen!"

*Combustion Woman is made Queen*

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Doesn't that actually make it sound like the queen is going to emerge victorious or something? Which would certainly be the case if she allies with them.

I am almost entirely sure that title is meant to be ironic.

E: ^^:argh:^^

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

The White Lotus exists, as far as we know, in order to promote unity and cohesion between the four (now five counting the United Republic) (well, six now that the Water Tribes are officially split) different nations. If the Red Lotus is the opposite of that, then their goal is to maintain the division and seclusive nature of the world's nations.
I disagree with your basic assumption on the nature of the Red Lotus. I don't think they're opposite the White Lotus at all, just arriving at the same goal through different means.

White stands for purity, peace, but white is also the color of mourning in Asian culture. Static, unchanging, the White Lotus appear to have stagnated after coming out of the shadows and seem more the servants of the four nations rather than promoting anything. We mostly see them doing guard duty; they haven't been present in any talks or council (I wonder if the change is Zuko's doing... Well okay, I guess the Gaang's descendants are white lotus members? Is Tenzin? Does it mean anything anymore?)

My guess is the Red Lotus were White Lotus members who disagreed with all the peaceful coming together of the various nations, figured they were a quarrelsome bunch who would never willingly unite and be cool with each other and the White Lotus were wasting their time, and decided the only way to truly unite everybody was by force, thus the red. Red is fire, actions, dynamic, proactive, and a fortuitous/prosperous color in Asian culture. Red is what you dress babies in, red envelopes hide money during New Year. Think of them as the Third World Maoists, I guess.

They want to pull a Patty Hearst on Korra and get her to be the face of their revolution/big gun all rolled into one. Would've been a lot easier to indoctrinate a toddler than a stubborn, headstrong teenager but welp.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if it would be possible to indoctrinate the Avatar.

I mean yeah, she'll have all four elements (if she could be taught Airbending by someone who understood it but couldn't do it) but to get the big wrecking ball potential she'd have to be in contact with her prior lives/the Avatar spirit and presumably Aang at bare minimum would go "FYI these guys kidnapped you and are using you for evil reasons, might wanna check out of this shithole ASAP"

Admittedly Korra is headstrong as hell but I don't know that they could depend on misinformation to keep her pliant when she'd need a direct line to her past selves to be the big gun they'd want.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

How would Aang know? They're apparently pretty new on the scene, maybe only revealing themselves after the new Avatar was revealed. They've never been mentioned before 13 years ago (well, they STILL haven't been mentioned, the name is speculation). And if they still want to unite the four peoples, just do it with an iron fist, well... its not like we haven't seen heavy-handed Avatars in the past (Kyoshi for one, Roku was no shrinking violet. And all the avatars were advising Aang to kill the Firelord).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oracle posted:

How would Aang know? They're apparently pretty new on the scene, maybe only revealing themselves after the new Avatar was revealed. They've never been mentioned before 13 years ago (well, they STILL haven't been mentioned, the name is speculation).

Aang (and previously Roku) both seemed to have some idea of what was going on in the world. After all Aang seemed to be trying to tell Korra about the bloodbending bros back in Season 1. He might not be aware of the Red Lotus in general but he'd presumably at least be aware that they're not cool guys. Admittedly that is all past-memories-given-form but still.

Of course Korra also got completely tricked by her uncle in Season 2 so I might be overestimating their ability to help.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 22, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oracle posted:

How would Aang know? They're apparently pretty new on the scene, maybe only revealing themselves after the new Avatar was revealed. They've never been mentioned before 13 years ago (well, they STILL haven't been mentioned, the name is speculation). And if they still want to unite the four peoples, just do it with an iron fist, well... its not like we haven't seen heavy-handed Avatars in the past (Kyoshi for one, Roku was no shrinking violet. And all the avatars were advising Aang to kill the Firelord).

Given how chaotic the world had been for the last 100 years, the vast majority of Avatar lives would probably favor ruling with an iron fist. Maybe Zaheer has communed with former Avatar spirits and they set him on the path to undo Aang's softer approach.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I definitely got the impression that the fight wasn't supposed to "count" as Lin at her best.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I really hope the show quits teasing at some point and gives these characters some truly badass moments where they decisively win a fight against a genuinely impressive opponent. I want to see what makes these characters as impressive as we're supposed to believe they are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They've got a setup for it but I don't really know if it'll happen.

The Avatar writers really seem to love having their characters either narrowly squeak by or get overtaken after a strong showing. It's pretty rare for them to decisively win a fight against a seriously dangerous opponent. Even in the original show there was a lot of "character gets a good showing and then gets cheesed out" or "the opponent is at a disadvantage/outnumbered/whatever" or "they win through sheer chance" when it comes to big strong opponents. It does happen but it's somewhat uncommon and I'd put a better bet on the Big Four getting taken down in unequal fights for the most part.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 22, 2014

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
TLA had a pretty good balance of the main characters and antagonists all having their fair share of victories and defeats/escapes. I think it's harder to do in Korra with the plotlines getting compressed into short books because it reduces the number of villains they can focus on. With a smaller cast of antagonists, the good guys usually have to lose or else there would be no tension. Like someone said earlier, it would be really boring if Zuko dominated Zaheer and co. on their first meeting.

On the other hand, it could've been really cool if they made Zuko or Kya come off as such formidable opponents that the enemies would want to escape from rather than fight because it isn't worth it. I don't know if anyone in this thread has seen Naruto, but a good example of what I'm talking about is Jiraiya vs. Itachi and Kisame in that series. Both the good guys and the bad guys came off looking pretty awesome in a short exchange, and you totally understood why everyone in the show's universe respects those characters' abilities.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Oracle posted:

And all the avatars were advising Aang to kill the Firelord.

Not really. Their advice was:

ROKU: Be decisive.
KYOSHI: Only justice will bring peace.
KURUK: Shape your own destiny.
YANGCHEN: Do whatever it takes to bring balance.

None of them actually told him to kill Ozai. He only thought they were because that's the only solution he knew of at the time. His eventual solution actually fulfilled all of the above criteria.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

pentyne posted:

Given how chaotic the world had been for the last 100 years, the vast majority of Avatar lives would probably favor ruling with an iron fist.

Kiyoshi is the Avatar the world needed then, and now. :911:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BrianWilly posted:

..I didn't, but thanks I guess?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

..I didn't, but thanks I guess?

The symbol on this season's swag is literally a red lotus, honestly it is something we all should have caught before the episode titles were released

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fried Chicken posted:

The symbol on this season's swag is literally a red lotus, honestly it is something we all should have caught before the episode titles were released

I don't pay much attention to anything but the show itself, tbh. I'm not really fussed about the revelation (it's not even a spoiler really), just a reminder that not everyone is harvesting every bit of info. :v:

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 22, 2014

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

DrSunshine posted:

Kiyoshi is the Avatar the world needed then, and now. :911:

Wait, is that a real panel? Like, she's not tripping on cactus juice or something? Also, I'd really like to see the Avatar, maybe the next one, be the primary antagonist especially now that he or she doesn't have ten thousand years of people telling them not to completely abuse the power.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Wait, is that a real panel? Like, she's not tripping on cactus juice or something? Also, I'd really like to see the Avatar, maybe the next one, be the primary antagonist especially now that he or she doesn't have ten thousand years of people telling them not to completely abuse the power.

It is fan art.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Wait, is that a real panel?

It must be a fan comic, I don't think there are any Korra comics yet.

e:f,b

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Yeah, it's just a silly fan-comic someone drew, even if their style is really really close to the original!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I don't know who drew it but that is definitely fanart.

• Locked thread