Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MondayHotDog posted:

I caught the Fad, Johnny Too Bad and IV4K on Saturday.

That is awesome, I didn't know Johnny Too Bad were still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

guppy posted:

That is awesome, I didn't know Johnny Too Bad were still around.

Their trumpet/keyboard player is like 70.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Seeing Slow Gherkin play two reunion shows gives me the feeling they have a few more up their sleeves. I just hope they don't plan something that makes me really consider flying out west for a single show like Bruce Lee Band is doing.

Just got back from The Slackers' Secret Show. It was pretty great, but didn't go last year to compare. Nice just to hear them go for a few hours without having to deal with it being on the booze cruise.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Anyone going to Dicky's Birthday Bash tonight? Bosstones are on at 9pm if you don't care about Gaslight Anthem

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Gaslight Anthem are pretty good, go to both.

EDIT: I guess that already happened. I've been on vacation all week and didn't look at the dates, sorry.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I was part of a crew that filmed the Big D Good Luck show with the Toasters, Stray Bullets and Salita (ex-Kicked in the Head for you Massachusetts ska people) in Boston. Show is currently being edited and I'll post it here when it's completed. If there are any KITH fans here, yes they played old material but it's probably not the songs you wanted

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

seventeen posted:

I was part of a crew that filmed the Big D Good Luck show with the Toasters, Stray Bullets and Salita (ex-Kicked in the Head for you Massachusetts ska people) in Boston. Show is currently being edited and I'll post it here when it's completed. If there are any KITH fans here, yes they played old material but it's probably not the songs you wanted

That was at the Paradise wasn't it?
Also when did Have Nots go back to being Stray Bullets?

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

That was at the Paradise wasn't it?
Also when did Have Nots go back to being Stray Bullets?

Yup, Paradise show. Really fun small-ish venue. Reminded me a lot of Axis if Axis were in an open warehouse.

Not sure about the name switch though I've accidentally seen Stray Bullets a few times this past spring so it was probably sometime this year

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Stray Bullets have been around again for over 2 years now. First show back was in 2012. Have Nots took a break but still play the occasional show it seems.

Did you just film Big D or did you film the openers too?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

seventeen posted:

Yup, Paradise show. Really fun small-ish venue. Reminded me a lot of Axis if Axis were in an open warehouse.

Not sure about the name switch though I've accidentally seen Stray Bullets a few times this past spring so it was probably sometime this year

You should have seen it before the remodel it was awful

e: on a Big D note I was walking to work through Allston yesterday on a gorgeous summer morning and The Sounds of Allston Village shuffled in on my phone and it was just a sublime moment

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Stray Bullets have been around again for over 2 years now. First show back was in 2012. Have Nots took a break but still play the occasional show it seems.

Did you just film Big D or did you film the openers too?

We have full sets from each band. Things got a little chaotic during the Shot By Lammi songs when a few of our cameras went down but we're salvaging it the best we can

ETA is mid-July or so because it's not our primary project at the moment. I'll keep y'all in the loop concerning when it's done

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Anyone ever listen to the Blue Meanies? I just found a mix CD my friends gave me as a birthday gift 9 years ago and they put "TV Girl" on it. Good song.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I'd kill a man for some Stray Bullets footage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

seventeen posted:

We have full sets from each band. Things got a little chaotic during the Shot By Lammi songs when a few of our cameras went down but we're salvaging it the best we can

ETA is mid-July or so because it's not our primary project at the moment. I'll keep y'all in the loop concerning when it's done

Still faster than we're getting the last BtMI show album.

edit: The timeline on that, by the way, is "before the end of the year."

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 28, 2014

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I can't go into exact details but we collectively worked on the Big D DVD so timeframes aren't exactly set in stone for us either. I've reviewed about 15 minutes of footage from the Toasters and Big D so far and it looks and sounds great. I'm yet to see the Salita or Stray Bullets edit but they both put on great sets and I'm sure it will translate properly into the video. It was a 6 cam op including a Pit Cam that I operated using a GoPro, so if any of you were at that show and saw some dude in the pit wildly smiling and filming the entire night it was me.

Also, not sure if I ever shared this info or not, there's dozens of easter eggs in that Big D DVD including a music video from their rap album. Good luck finding them all

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

MondayHotDog posted:

Anyone ever listen to the Blue Meanies? I just found a mix CD my friends gave me as a birthday gift 9 years ago and they put "TV Girl" on it. Good song.

I haven't listened to them in a while but I was a fan of the album "Kiss Your rear end Goodbye." That song wasn't on it though. The songs I remember liking are "Acceleration 5000" "Polka in the Eye" and "Grandma Shampoo"

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

MondayHotDog posted:

I've only heard a few scattered songs by them but I've liked all of them so far, but I guess never enough to buy their records.

I did recently pick up the By the Rivers album and had it on repeat for about 3 straight days.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8aAyFSVTIk

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hobbit posted:

I've only heard a few scattered songs by them but I've liked all of them so far, but I guess never enough to buy their records.

I did recently pick up the By the Rivers album and had it on repeat for about 3 straight days.

That By the Rivers record is so catchy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hobbit posted:

I had this comp when I was a kid, and I remember not being a huge fan of the Blue Meanies song on there. Might have to give them another shot.

Looking at that tracklist, what a random loving comp. Most of those bands I never heard another track from, mixed in with Bouncing Souls and a b-side from Stranger Than Fiction, of all the Bad Religion tracks to include.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Big D edit is finished but Dave is putting a temporary block on posting it before their facebook page posts it. When asked if he'll be posting it soon so I can share a better quality video with you all here, Dave said "YEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEEEEEAAAAAAH YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH YEAHYEAHYEAH"

Dave likes when you make fun of his yeahing. I like reminding him that Girls Against Drunk Bitches is a triumph in yeahing, the Citizen Kane of affirmation and monosyllabic exclamation.

I'll post the link as soon as Dave posts the lower quality version because :lol: YouTube

seventeen fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 12, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I figure I could mention the Rx Bandits in here right? Yeah? Anyways, they have a new album coming out this week apparently, first new stuff in 5 years.

Streaming here: http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/stream-rx-bandits-new-album-gemini-her-majesty/

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 22, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skeezy posted:

I figure I could mention the Rx Bandits in here right? Yeah? Anyways, they have a new album coming out this week apparently, first new stuff in 5 years.

Streaming here: http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/stream-rx-bandits-new-album-gemini-her-majesty/
Wow, that is terrible.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I wish I hadn't known that. I'll just go back to listening to the Resignation and The Battle Begun and parts of Mandala and continue to think they broke up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stop making fun of such brilliant lyrics as "2 3 4 5 6 7 8! 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9! 2 3 4 5 6 7 8! 1 2 3 4 5 6!"

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
They're playing in town tonight, I'd be there if I had any money.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tomorrow night in Boston, but my gf is in upstate NY and it's just not the same without her :smith: It's them, the Bouncing Souls, and Big D that I can't see without her.

We saw them play The Resignation in full last year though, I don't think they could ever top that.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

MondayHotDog posted:

They're playing in town tonight, I'd be there if I had any money.

Just came from that show. They killed so loving hard. They were on there A game and the crowd was insane.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Only listened to the first two songs so far but I kinda like it v:shobon:v

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Anyone seeing any Ska Revival shows? I have to miss the only one coming around here, but it seems pretty great.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGPh6aAgkSk

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Hey thanks, now I've spent the last hour watching ska concerts on youtube.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

lessthankyle posted:

Hey thanks, now I've spent the last hour watching ska concerts on youtube.

You're welcome.

Hopefully these Big D videos coming out means we might get some Stray Bullets videos soon.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Well if we're going to talk ska shows on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f00I0GNdauE

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just got a phone call from home! My copy of Hands That Thieve finally showed up! Anyone who left their money with the band should start expecting it soon.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

sorry guys that new rx album actually kinda owns h8rs gon h8

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Obama Yo Mama posted:

sorry guys that new rx album actually kinda owns h8rs gon h8
don't agree

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Fateo McMurray posted:

You're welcome.

Hopefully these Big D videos coming out means we might get some Stray Bullets videos soon.

You will, we also filmed them at the show. The whole show edit is done, it's up to the bands to release it now though.

E: I've been asked to not give out the link for the full Big D set until they're done releasing it in their YouTube series but I'll send the link once and password info to those that PM me when they finish

seventeen fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 28, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This is the best Big D video I've seen yet and it's totally not because my best friend is the guy who high fives Dave during the "Give the doorman a loving high five" line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaAubBFVLw0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

bowmore posted:

don't agree

it's okay to be wrong :yayclod: