Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
The apartment I'm living in at the moment doesn't have internet access set up. I'm only going to be there for a month so I'm looking for temporary alternatives (I tried tethering from my phone but I don't have enough data to support my goony internet habits).

I've looked into wireless hotspots, but they seem pretty expensive in exchange for not that much data. Ideally, I'd like something unlimited. I'm in NYC, so it feels like there should be something available.

Does anyone have any recommendations, outside of camping out at Starbucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009
Ask a neighbor if you can use their WiFi? Offer to pay part of their bill.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

A data hotspot may be your best bet for just a month. They don't make good long-term solutions, but just having one for the month is better than nothing. Getting internet activated could take a week at times in order to get a tech to do what they need to do from an ISP, and you're not likely to get a one-month lease on a device, meaning you'll need to actually get one. It'd be ultimately more costly than just nabbing a hotspot dongle and using data for a bit.

If you want to cut down on data usage, you'll probably want to use WiFi hotspots as a way for you to find what you'd be interested in watching later and just downloading stuff. Buy an album or a season of something using a video/music service that allows you to download copies to your hard disk, and focus more on using the data hotspot as a just-browsing-the-web kind of thing.

I dunno about NYC-specific options, but you might just have to go caveman for a little while until you hit a permanent place :shrug:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Buy a prepaid phone that can tether, the ones with unlimited 3g (after you use up your allotted bandwidth at 4g speeds)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If you are in NYC, then FreedomPop is a decent idea. It's pretty cheap and uses Sprints really under-utilized wimax network.
It just so happens that NYC is one of the only places on earth with decent wimax.

http://www.freedompop.com/

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks for all these responses, most of the stuff I hadn't thought of (like asking neighbors for wi-fi) or didn't know existed (FreedomPop).

I think I'll be able to cobble something together (or just you know,not be a goony internet user and actually go out in the city I guess).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You could try building a directional antenna for WiFi and then pointing it at a Starbucks. That'd be a fun project.

Edit:

I didn't mean to bump an old thread, but now I'm curious. What'd you end up doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Found a starbucks 2 blocks from my house, joined a coworking space nearby with 24/7 internet, and mostly just spent a lot more time out of the house.

It actually worked out pretty well. Not gonna lie, your suggestion is my favorite. They had a partnership with Google at the starbucks and their internet was so drat fast.

• Locked thread