Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Courtney makes the best "gently caress you guys" faces. This was immediately after impressing the judges with that amazing spaghetti dish and them reaming Christian for wasting the 30 minute advantage on Courtney. I was really surprised they didn't use it on Leslie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Anarkii posted:

Masterchef Australia still hasn't faltered this season. And yes, being a massive SEA fan Gordon's Great Escape is probably my favourite show in the genre. Too bad he didn't continue that with a South/Central America setting.

Agreed, and I think it also reflects interesting-yet-questionable food trends, like those loving twils and gelato/sorbet on loving everything and oh here's a cloche full of smoke. But that's not to its detriment; it's refreshing that they're teaching their home cooks more contemporary techniques.

I also like that they have that herb garden outside. It's fun and rustic and very practically applicable. In the same vein, I like that they really push using native Australian ingredients I've never heard of.

Savory ladyfingers??? :gonk:

OmegaBR posted:

And since when is pizza not Italian anyway? A flatbread sounds worse than breakfast lasagna?

If you're calling it an artisan pizza? He was bonkers. What he served up looked more like an awful pita or pupusa sans filling, with random crap on top. There was not nearly enough time in a 60 minute cook to do a halfway-decent pizza dough, and he was an idiot for trying.

Meowbot posted:

Courtney makes the best "gently caress you guys" faces. This was immediately after impressing the judges with that amazing spaghetti dish and them reaming Christian for wasting the 30 minute advantage on Courtney. I was really surprised they didn't use it on Leslie.

This pissed me off more than anything. Elise gets the boot (which, I mean, it's not like she was fabulous or anything) over a pasta they didn't even comment on, and a lack of salt. I saw that spaghetti, and looking at the equipment and the, um, obvious spaghetti, there was no loving way she made that herself and the only thing keeping her from getting blasted for it was those stupid stripper heels.

I'd donate my meat grinder/spaghetti maker to the Masterchef kitchen, but I think even I get more use out of it than they would.

Oh, and going back to the Aussie version a bit, it really pissed me off that we didn't get to see about half the dishes. Australia gives the middle-of-the-pack people a cursory 15 seconds to present the food and get an amicable reaction. But I guess we really need to focus on Courtney's impractical shoes, Cutter getting poo poo on, and Joe's overly-dramatic buildups to ice burns.

Where is Francis B I miss him :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Meowbot posted:

Courtney makes the best "gently caress you guys" faces.

She looks like someone put hair on that "troll face" image.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Which one of you goons bought Cutter an account here

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

OmegaBR posted:

And since when is pizza not Italian anyway? A flatbread sounds worse than breakfast lasagna? Really feels like the judges are treating him as the whipping boy at this point, in sharp contrast to their perfect princess Courtney. And while he's become smarmy and rebellious about it, I maintain he got pushed there rather than coming in like he was already the Masterchef.

I don't think Joe just heard "breakfast lasagna" and got excited, he saw what she was doing and heard her detailed plan for the recipe, so he knew it sounded good. And she pulled it off, whereas Cutter made something that looked worse than a bagel bite.

And yea Cutter is getting pushed and poked, but I think every contestant gets that treatment at certain points, and he's the only one that consistently makes himself look like a complete dumbass. Even Leslie does much, much better than him when it comes to absorbing the judges comments and responding gracefully.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Meowbot posted:

When she smiles she looks like a loving shark. Her teeth are disturbingly pointy, like bad SFX vampire movie pointy. It's creepy.

Also, gently caress you Hotel Hell for getting that goddamn Cher song stuck in my head. It was playing in my DREAMS.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommanderApaul posted:

Also, gently caress you Hotel Hell for getting that goddamn Cher song stuck in my head. It was playing in my DREAMS.

That's the one thing I'm willing to give that woman the benefit of the doubt on. I think that was probably the only song they wanted to get the rights for, so she had to go around singing it over and over. I'm choosing to believe that.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

CommanderApaul posted:

When she smiles she looks like a loving shark. Her teeth are disturbingly pointy, like bad SFX vampire movie pointy. It's creepy.

She looks like Him from Powerpuff Girls.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My favorite was when the GM was all, "I don't have hotel experience, but I was a restaurant manager so it's not too different," and Gordon got pissy because it's sooooo different that restaurant->hotel experience doesn't translate.

Meanwhile Gordon is doing Hotel Hell. . . .

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I want to give Cutter the benefit of the doubt, but then I remember "Artisan is what it says on the menu when I order it" and "that black salad dressing stuff". If you don't know what balsamic vinegar is, especially the difference between supermarket balsamic and real balsamic, get the gently caress off of Masterchef.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I haven't been posting along with the thread as much this year but holy Christ, Cutter is a goddamned idiot. Between last week and this week I was literally cringing. He's not an rear end in a top hat like most of this show's "villains", but he might be the dumbest person ever on the show.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Propaganda Machine posted:

This pissed me off more than anything. Elise gets the boot (which, I mean, it's not like she was fabulous or anything) over a pasta they didn't even comment on, and a lack of salt. I saw that spaghetti, and looking at the equipment and the, um, obvious spaghetti, there was no loving way she made that herself and the only thing keeping her from getting blasted for it was those stupid stripper heels.

To be honest, I'm surprised Elise wasn't booted out earlier because she came across as out of her element. Her big thing was pies and even then she was mediocre. Looking at that ravioli she made, it was like a teleporter accident happened between a Swanson pot pie and a large ravioli. Courtney should've been gone long ago with the salt in place of sugar messup. Honestly, if Courtney wins, I will give up watching MasterChef since the producers will have insulted my suspension of disbelief beyond stretching with such blatant manipulation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The best :iceburn: of the whole night had to be Gordon putting a halt on Callie singing, and then hiring a band to perform at the reopening.

And I'm going to miss Elise. Sure she shouldn't have been there and was over her head, but at least she was cute.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
two notes from yesterday's masterchef:

- when Ahran made her dish and she got all of that praise and getting back to her station, Leslie gave her a huge smile and that was pretty :3:

- Courtney, did you seriously have to say that 'being in the spotlight is where I shine' considering you're a stri- aerial dancer? :jerkbag:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Twee as gently caress posted:

two notes from yesterday's masterchef:

- when Ahran made her dish and she got all of that praise and getting back to her station, Leslie gave her a huge smile and that was pretty :3:

Honestly you can't say when that smile was actually recorded.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Oh, actually I forgot to say: I had no idea that breakfast lasagne were a thing but holy poo poo now I want to make one

benisntfunny posted:

Honestly you can't say when that smile was actually recorded.

unless they use really tricky editing, she partly walked in the shot

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Twee as gently caress posted:

Oh, actually I forgot to say: I had no idea that breakfast lasagne were a thing but holy poo poo now I want to make one

unless they use really tricky editing, she partly walked in the shot

She could have been walking and Gordon been like "It's hot as gently caress in here!" and everyone smiles or laughs. I just think they're orchestrate a lot of that poo poo.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Holy poo poo Kangaroo.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ntan1 posted:

Holy poo poo Kangaroo.

Yeah.., that did not sound appetizing at all. Though I want to eat every animal on the planet at least once kangaroo is probably close to the bottom of the list.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

"I hope you enjoy my dish of packaged pasta (which you'd never let anyone else get away with), burned artichokes, and every other ingredient you gave me thrown into a pan with olive oil."

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ntan1 posted:

Holy poo poo Kangaroo.

Kangaroo is pretty good and similar to venison though I don't know why you'd ever choose the former over the latter other than to tell people you ate it.

e: does anyone know how the 'savoury tiramisu' was constructed? Even more than the breakfast lasagna, that looked amazing and baffling at once.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 23, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OmegaBR posted:

Listen, there's no way Cutter is equal to or worse than Elise. Granted, his pizza tonight was totally weak, he completely lacks any finesse, and it's getting to the point where more than just baking is totally tripping him up in terms of making a Masterchef level dish. But he fights back and takes risks and actually succeeds. All Elise ever did was blend in the background and fall apart. Letting her on the show was a pity vote in the first place, and she squandered it. Not that I feel good about it, but she herself admitted how easily she gave up.

And since when is pizza not Italian anyway? A flatbread sounds worse than breakfast lasagna? Really feels like the judges are treating him as the whipping boy at this point, in sharp contrast to their perfect princess Courtney. And while he's become smarmy and rebellious about it, I maintain he got pushed there rather than coming in like he was already the Masterchef.

He made a drat pizza Lunchable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

Kangaroo is pretty good and similar to venison though I don't know why you'd ever choose the former over the latter other than to tell people you ate it.

e: does anyone know how the 'savoury tiramisu' was constructed? Even more than the breakfast lasagna, that looked amazing and baffling at once.

Not exactly but I know Gordon mentioned that she somehow made savory ladyfingers, which was probably the key to the whole thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

He made a drat pizza Lunchable.

And a poor looking one at that. My roommate and I burst out laughing when they showed it. His girlfriend said it looked like something her 10 year old would make.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

And a poor looking one at that. My roommate and I burst out laughing when they showed it. His girlfriend said it looked like something her 10 year old would make.

At least he didn't just dump ingredients on packaged noodles.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

At least he didn't just dump ingredients on packaged noodles.

As for the packaged noodles, I think she was given a pass on that because she only had 30minutes. But its a valid pint.

The other ingredients though, I think you're just looking for reasons to cry favoritism. I think Courtney has proven she is capable of doing basic poo poo like cook artichokes, which is more than I can say for Cutter. Ramsay said the ingredients in there were cooked well and I'm willing to take his word on it. If it was a complete disaster I don't think he would have held back from saying so considering Cutter and Elise were obviously the main two candidates for elimination. I agree that they want to keep Courtney in this as long as possible, but I don't think they'd hold back from criticizing her if she made something truly terrible like Cutter did.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

As for the packaged noodles, I think she was given a pass on that because she only had 30minutes. But its a valid pint.

Seems pretty much like favoritism there - if she doesn't get dinged for using prepackaged noodles because of the time delay she had as part of the competition then what was the point of it?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

LeJackal posted:

what was the point of it?

To piss you off, obviously.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The boxed pasta was obviously also part of the competition since it was in the pantry. Good boxed pasta isn't bad anyway, I think it's more that using it when you have an hour is laziness or just not taking the opportunity to shine. I don't think it would even be possible to make pasta from scratch in that half an hour, since the dough has to rest. I just don't think Barilla is automatically make or break -- depends on the rest of the dish. For what it's worth, Joe Bastianich's Eataly is packed with every possible shape of Barilla.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
boxed pasta was not just part of the pantry, it was part of the box that Joe made. i mean it might have been put there as a trap or whatever and almost no one used it, but it could also have been there because joe thought it was a legitimate ingredient

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

Seems pretty much like favoritism there - if she doesn't get dinged for using prepackaged noodles because of the time delay she had as part of the competition then what was the point of it?

What I was saying is that yea, I agree that there's a certain amount of favoritism going on. They like Courtney and her story, they want her to go as far as possible. That's why I said the boxed pasta is a valid point. But you(maybe not you specifically, but some in this thread) are looking for it in every single segment, every single time she's on screen, and I don't think its happening to that level.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm just glad it wasn't a WALMART SHOPPING CART that they had to choose ingredients out of. Also glad they don't sling the Masterchef pots and pans before the commercials.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

What I was saying is that yea, I agree that there's a certain amount of favoritism going on. They like Courtney and her story, they want her to go as far as possible. That's why I said the boxed pasta is a valid point. But you(maybe not you specifically, but some in this thread) are looking for it in every single segment, every single time she's on screen, and I don't think its happening to that level.

When she's being put on-screen every two minutes for the most vague shadow of a reason as dreamed of in the fevered hallucinations of a madman, its pretty obvious that she's receiving major favoritism from both the judges and production staff.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Solice Kirsk posted:

This, a loaf of bread, a bag of shredded cheese and a bag of pepperoni were a week's worth of lunches during summer vacation. Ahh, takes me back. :allears:

trem
Sep 17, 2009

Beef Hardcheese posted:

This, a loaf of bread, a bag of shredded cheese and a bag of pepperoni were a week's worth of lunches during summer vacation. Ahh, takes me back. :allears:

Probably tasted better than the poo poo Cutter put up too

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'd love an Aussie to correct me on this, but maybe because it's cheaper or more widely available? I'm under the impression that kangaroos are severely overpopulated, even moreso than deer over here.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'd love an Aussie to correct me on this, but maybe because it's cheaper or more widely available? I'm under the impression that kangaroos are severely overpopulated, even moreso than deer over here.

I wouldn't say severely overpopulated, but they're definitely not going to disappear anytime soon.

The industry is setup very sustainably though too. Firstly Kangaroo's cannot be "farmed", so the only source of kangaroos is from registered hunters who have a set quota they can kill commercially. The quota is a number derived as a percentage of the estimated total Kangaroo population and accounting for sport hunters.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

What the f, why isn't Hotel Hell up on Hulu? Pretty much every Fox show gets posted there, why leave out the one I actually missed?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Past seasons of Hotel Hell have been on Hulu as they aired. It might just take more than 24 hours to go up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rudager posted:

I wouldn't say severely overpopulated, but they're definitely not going to disappear anytime soon.

The industry is setup very sustainably though too. Firstly Kangaroo's cannot be "farmed", so the only source of kangaroos is from registered hunters who have a set quota they can kill commercially. The quota is a number derived as a percentage of the estimated total Kangaroo population and accounting for sport hunters.

Can you buy it at a normal grocery store? I think you'd have to find a specialty place over here to find venison.

I mean, I come from a hunting-friendly area and I don't think I've seen venison for sale except for this one out-of-the-way shack, and maybe a farmer's market or two.