Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Max Payne 3 is probably my favorite game of the last console generation. :shrug: Every couple of days or weeks I'll blast through a few arcade levels to blow off steam. Shooting dudes is fun and so is Max's depressed alcoholism and lovely jokes. The only thing I don't like about it is swapping discs when I want to go from the stadium to police station or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Flectarn posted:

I like the games, but anyone who thinks the stories are worthy of more than an eye roll and mashing the space bar is crazy, pretending the story got bad in 3 is just weird to me.

The stories were no great shakes, but the ways they were terrible are different. The first two games the game embraced how silly the storytelling could be, and while it did try and tell a serious story there were moments of levity and elements of Max's personality that weren't "I'm a terrible person and have nothing to live for." The reason you're supposed to care about what goes on in MP3 is some Brazilian girl who the player doesn't even care about or even know anything about her; compared to MP1 where the hook of the plot was figuring out the conspiracy behind the murder of Max's family, and MP2 with Max and Mona trying to save each other from the conspiracy that threatens to kill them both.

This is on top of a combat system that is confusing as to what it is attempting to be (cover-based shooter? Third-Person John Woo simulator?).

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I remember getting cajoled into getting to the bank level after getting stuck on the docks for a long while, but then some invulnerable rear end in a top hat with a minigun absolutely destroyed me for a solid half-hour. Life's too short to play bullshit video games.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Max Payne 3 is really good and probably the best third person shooter of its generation, anyone who doesn't like it is a big dork.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Wandle Cax posted:

Max Payne 3 is really good and probably the best third person shooter of its generation, anyone who doesn't like it is a big dork.

Perhaps you can explain why. Perhaps using a 20 minute cutscene.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was going to make a joke about how there are only like two third-person shooters so it wins by default, but then I remembered that Alpha Protocol exists.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't understand why game developers feel the need to make text so small. This is a problem in a lot of games but I'm especially annoyed at GTA V. Why do you have to read texts on a phone that takes up only like 1/64 of the screen?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You might start getting doubts that you really need such a large TV.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kazil posted:

Perhaps you can explain why. Perhaps using a 20 minute unskippable cutscene.

ftfy

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

grittyreboot posted:

I don't understand why game developers feel the need to make text so small. This is a problem in a lot of games but I'm especially annoyed at GTA V. Why do you have to read texts on a phone that takes up only like 1/64 of the screen?

I've been having this problem with Darksiders 2 for the Wii U. I have to hold the loving gamepad up against my face because the text is like an eighth of an inch on there and I can't fuckin' read it on my TV either from six feet away.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

kazil posted:

Perhaps you can explain why. Perhaps using a 20 minute badly written, unskippable cutscene.

ftfy II: the awakening

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Resident Evil 4: Maybe it's just because I read Dark Id's LP of it, but I can't help but notice that the architecture of Salazar's castle seems to be 95% hallways and foyers, with the actual functions of the building spread ridiculously thin, and it's kind of annoying. That and the cannon pointed at the castle's own gate. :psyduck:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

StandardVC10 posted:

Resident Evil 4: Maybe it's just because I read Dark Id's LP of it, but I can't help but notice that the architecture of Salazar's castle seems to be 95% hallways and foyers, with the actual functions of the building spread ridiculously thin, and it's kind of annoying. That and the cannon pointed at the castle's own gate. :psyduck:

Resident Evil has never been a series to feature logical architecture.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

It's also a loving castle with a fully functional geothermal reactor and giant robot midget on the outskirts of a rural Spanish town. The world of Resident Evil is a strange place.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Oh, yeah, I had forgotten the lava pit, probably because I hadn't gotten there yet in my current playthrough. That bit's annoying because you can't deal with the fire-dragon-statue-things when they're directly in front of you. Still, kind of missing out on opportunities for arena design when it's just hallways all the way down.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

StandardVC10 posted:

Why stop there? Anyone remember any of the bright architecture decisions in Resident Evil 3?

:downs::"Hey guys, how should we lock City Hall?"
:pseudo::"How about a series of 12 gems attached to an electronic device embedded into a clock?"

:downs::"Where should I keep this backup battery?"
:pseudo::"How about in the statue of the mayor! If you want the battery out all you have to do is swap his book for a sundial!"

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I've always assumed that Resident Evil took place in a world where architects were trying to one up each other in creating convoluted locking systems.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009
Starcraft 2: I am literally incapable of playing Starcraft 2 and the support people are unprofessional as hell. Back when the game first came out I bought the digital version. I played it for a bit, and then moved onto other things.

I recently tried to re-download my game but found my account to be locked. I ask my friend and he links me this. https://www.dashlane.com/blog/efficiency/blizzard-hacked-battle-net-passwords-and-security-questions-compromised/ Roughly 2 years later blizzard got hacked. Apparently had I logged on sometime back in 2012 I would have been prompted to change my security question, but I did not. To unlock an account you need either a physical cd key (not available to digital downloads as I understand it) or the answer to your security question (Which was reset\deleted by Blizzard because they were hacked).

I contacted support. I get this stupid rear end email talking about loving gnomes and goblins and poo poo. I am a customer, you are a business, act like adults. Of course I didn't say that to them, and of course they wouldn't have read it anyway. The presumably automated system "resolved" the issue by resetting (deleting) my password.

I am now in a state where I can't change my password because I have no security question, and I can't change my security question because I have no password. This company has my name, address, phone number, and credit card info and they get hacked and they think it's appropriate to respond to basic level tech support with this goddamn roleplay poo poo. All of this because I bought a game in 2010 online and wanted to play it in 2014.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
You can still get your security question reset, and thus regain access to your account, by sending in a scan or pic of your ID. That gnomes and goblins poo poo is annoying though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Poulpe posted:

Why stop there? Anyone remember any of the bright architecture decisions in Resident Evil 3?

:downs::"Hey guys, how should we lock City Hall?"
:pseudo::"How about a series of 12 gems attached to an electronic device embedded into a clock?"

:downs::"Where should I keep this backup battery?"
:pseudo::"How about in the statue of the mayor! If you want the battery out all you have to do is swap his book for a sundial!"

Look if the Chief of Police can go take a crap without risk of decapitation, it's a bad Police HQ. :colbert:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Look if the Chief of Police can go take a crap without risk of decapitation, it's a bad Police HQ. :colbert:

Trick statement. There isn't a single bathroom in the whole building.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I'm not sure if it's worse to have a game with no bathrooms at all, or to have a game with one bathroom at some point, leaving you wondering where the rest of them are.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I've always assumed that Resident Evil took place in a world where architects were trying to one up each other in creating convoluted locking systems.

You would have to think this way when your town is home to the Master of Unlocking©.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Action Tortoise posted:

That's pretty much canon, the architect who designed Spencer Mansion and much of Raccoon City was a huge fan of crazy cryptic puzzles, as was Spencer himself, which is why every Umbrella owned facility was a nightmare of puzzles and everything being insane design wise.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sad lions posted:

Trick statement. There isn't a single bathroom in the whole building.

Trap sprung. :smugbird:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well I mean the police station is directly attached to the sewage treatment plant or whatever, so just pop on downstairs by blowing up a wall and relieve yourself without need of a toilet for a middle-man!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is pretty fun, but it's being dragged down by a horrible camera and by being an even more horrible PC port.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Randler posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is pretty fun, but it's being dragged down by a horrible camera and by being an even more horrible PC port.

What? Except for a glitch that happens in the final boss fight only if you skip a short cutscene it's an amazing port and runs better than the original.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

cobalt impurity posted:

What? Except for a glitch that happens in the final boss fight only if you skip a short cutscene it's an amazing port and runs better than the original.

It has a 24 GB file size and almost 20 of that is from the uncompressed FMVs.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

cobalt impurity posted:

There are various other known issues and I run into multiple of them.

Also, I posted my previous post when the credits started and this post is from after the unskippable credits ended and my save actually registered as finished. :smith:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

cobalt impurity posted:

I have to use a 3rd party program to force the PC port of Metal Gear Rising to 1920x1080 and 60hz because I use HDMI to connect my monitor to my video card. If I don't, the UI thinks that it's a much larger resolution, and the refresh rate drops down to less than half of what it should be. Without that program running, I get a headache from playing for five minutes.

Also because the refresh rate is so hosed over HDMI, a weird form of "burn in" occurs where the codec menu gets half-overlaid on top of my monitor for about an hour or so, even after the game is closed.

I'd say that the game's inability to work properly over an HDMI cable makes it a mediocre port at best.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
GTA 5: Headshots. Specifically, enemies getting random headshots on you. If I can't reliably prevent a method in which the RNG kills me, it shouldn't happen. Instead, every now and then I instantly die when in a shootout.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Blizzard patch days. They just released an update for hearthstone containing a bunch of battles against overpowered AI opponents based on WoW's Naxxramas raid. Since these fights award cards to your account, you have to be logged in to battle.net to fight them. So I'm getting several seconds of latency on a single player game.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

cobalt impurity posted:

MGR:R is my favourite game of 2013 but no 1440p is a bummer.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

This always bugged me about the Police Station in RE2. I get that a creepy old mansion can have hidden doorways,false floors and weird architechure but this is supposed to be a fully functional police station. Everytime someone needed to to go the bathroom they would have to rearrange some paintings, burn one, find the hidden gem, put it on a statue's eye and then face it towards the moon.

"Jenkins, I need to get into the evidence locker, have you seen the zodiac stones? Also did they fill up the fountain again, I need that hidden staircase to get to Interrogation Room 2.'

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SourceElement posted:

I have to use a 3rd party program to force the PC port of Metal Gear Rising to 1920x1080 and 60hz because I use HDMI to connect my monitor to my video card. If I don't, the UI thinks that it's a much larger resolution, and the refresh rate drops down to less than half of what it should be. Without that program running, I get a headache from playing for five minutes.

Also because the refresh rate is so hosed over HDMI, a weird form of "burn in" occurs where the codec menu gets half-overlaid on top of my monitor for about an hour or so, even after the game is closed.

I'd say that the game's inability to work properly over an HDMI cable makes it a mediocre port at best.

It's really strange, because I read about this issue but run at 1920x1080 60hz over HDMI just fine, guess I got lucky. I still wish they would have done something about the camera with the port, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Everyone always complains about the stupid way to get the Zodiac Spear in FF12. They're totally justified, it is really dumb. But, it's actually way more player friendly than every other ultimate weapon in the game. The vast majority are just found through stealing from enemies or looting chests that have a low chance to spawn, and if spawned have a low chance to actually carry the weapon. So it's just as much of a guide required situation unless you somehow psychically ascertain that that chest that dropped 3 phoenix downs will drop an Excalibur or whatever if you just farm it an average of 50 times.

I didn't have any problems with PC port bugs in Revengeance myself, but the horrible camera really drags down an otherwise amazing game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Moon Monster posted:

Everyone always complains about the stupid way to get the Zodiac Spear in FF12. They're totally justified, it is really dumb. But, it's actually way more player friendly than every other ultimate weapon in the game. The vast majority are just found through stealing from enemies or looting chests that have a low chance to spawn, and if spawned have a low chance to actually carry the weapon. So it's just as much of a guide required situation unless you somehow psychically ascertain that that chest that dropped 3 phoenix downs will drop an Excalibur or whatever if you just farm it an average of 50 times.

I didn't have any problems with PC port bugs in Revengeance myself, but the horrible camera really drags down an otherwise amazing game.

Yeah, I'm one of those people that actually like FFXII, but I can't imagine why anyone would ever think poo poo like that is a good idea in any game ever.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I'm one of those people that actually like FFXII, but I can't imagine why anyone would ever think poo poo like that is a good idea in any game ever.

Is it required for beating a super boss or something? Honestly that whole thing sounds like way more trouble than it could ever be worth (see also: beating super bosses).

While talking about Final Fantasy: I can ignore a lot of irritating poo poo (given the series, I need to) if I'm having at least a little bit of fun and/or something interesting is happening but dear god Mog made a lot of major scenes near unwatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It has a 24 GB file size and almost 20 of that is from the uncompressed FMVs.
AMVs*

Still a pretty drat good game though. Except the boss of the Jetstream Sam DLC, gently caress that fight.