Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Was it just me or did the guy's son look like he was hiding a bowling ball under his shirt? Maybe it was a weird angle or something but it looked like a normal looking kid with a potbelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

bamhand posted:

Was it just me or did the guy's son look like he was hiding a bowling ball under his shirt? Maybe it was a weird angle or something but it looked like a normal looking kid with a potbelly.

I saw that, too. Really weird stuff.

Maybe the kid's incubating a clutch of werewolf eggs?

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008

bamhand posted:

Yes!!!! Cue the pregnant son jokes! But keep em coming with the hairpiece jokes too!

Seeing as Carlton Cuse is involved, perhaps we could get a Lost-style flashback that reveals the origins of the wig. Could be the best episode of TV since we learned where Jack got his tattoos!!!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I haven't read far enough into the 1st book to know and this is pure speculation so I won't spoiler it but the stuff about Stoll's wig coming off by the end of this season along with the french girl vampire losing her hair seems to suggest Ephraim becomes a vampire pretty soon

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Awesome so this show turns into another Blade?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Sounds good to me. Most vampire movies/shows these days have been teenage girl pussy vampires.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

well the premise is sort of if the reapers won in Blade II given how the show has gross apex predator vampires not the Twilight dreamboat vampire.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hepscat posted:

Yeah, I admit the thought of an underground Vampire Conspiracy sounds trite and boring,

I've only read the first book but my issue with that was that Del Toro seemed split on what he wanted. When it was a medical mystery with a paranormal twist it was sweet as hell. Regarding the vampires I thought it was cool that they were a literal parasitic worm that took over the entrie body, even remodeled it to give it weapons but then he swings over to the Conspiracy and I just thought the worms evolving into thinking and plotting elders was out of synch with the biological background.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Holyshoot posted:

Sounds good to me. Most vampire movies/shows these days have been teenage girl pussy vampires.

etalian posted:

well the premise is sort of if the reapers won in Blade II given how the show has gross apex predator vampires not the Twilight dreamboat vampire.

I love when people talk about vampires this way as if Bram Stoker's Dracula wasn't closer to Edward than he is to Del Toro's zompires.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

I think that is why I like this show. It really feels like Salem's Lot in New York.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

InfiniteZero posted:

Also Mia Maestro isn't as good as most of the actors in Sharknado.

She's going to die so soon

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The family stuff is dragging this show down. Why on Earth do they think anyone would care about hairpiece's custody battle when there's a vampire epidemic happening.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Custody battles are really cheap to film.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
They're probably building to something in the future, and it's background for now until it merges with the main plot. The problem isn't that it's there, just that it's not very engaging and not being handled with much finesse.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I dunno. I've read the books and the story is pretty cool overall. It just takes a bit for all the plot engines to start going full speed. Of course now everyone says they love The Wire. But I bet back in the day there was a lot of complaining that nothing was happening in the first couple of episodes. (This show definitely won't be as good as The Wire, that's not what I'm saying.)

I am just waiting for the part where Ephraim has to shave his head for plot reasons and we can all put the hairpiece behind us.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I got halfway through the 2nd book, and felt kinda bored and impatient so I read the plot summary for the rest on Wikipedia and uhhhh :stare:

This poo poo gets really, really loving crazy and dark

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

It may have been said already but the first 15 minutes of the pilot came directly from Fringe, not that it's necessarily a bad thing. I'm also not too distracted by the toupee worn by the esteemed Congressman from Pennsylvania.

Oh hey and Katherine from Continuum, nice.

And now Roger Cross, we're just checking all kinds of Canada boxes here.

VVVVV Fringe did it better, explained how the plane landed without pilots. Though everyone was dead on that one and instead of JFK/Berlin it was Boston/Heathrow I believe.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 26, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The first 15 minutes were loving terrible.

"That plane is dead. It's a dead plane."
*feels belly of the plane*
"Yup, it's cold."

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Drifter posted:

The first 15 minutes were loving terrible.

"That plane is dead. It's a dead plane."
*feels belly of the plane*
"Yup, it's cold."

And some air traffic control guy trying to be all super detective.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

VVVVV Fringe did it better, explained how the plane landed without pilots. Though everyone was dead on that one and instead of JFK/Berlin it was Boston/Heathrow I believe.

Wasn't it a giant hedgehog were-monster that made the plane crash, not 'land' in Fringe? Or am I misremembering?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Drifter posted:

Wasn't it a giant hedgehog were-monster that made the plane crash, not 'land' in Fringe? Or am I misremembering?

There have been multiple plane incidents in Fringe, and indeed more than one incident involving a giant hedgehog were-monster on a plane, but the one from the pilot involved a biological agent that causes their bodies to crystallize.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Holyshoot posted:

And some air traffic control guy trying to be all super detective.

While the other air traffic control guy acted like he had never seen a plane before in his life.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Boogaleeboo posted:

There have been multiple plane incidents in Fringe, and indeed more than one incident involving a giant hedgehog were-monster on a plane, but the one from the pilot involved a biological agent that causes their bodies to crystallize.

Fringe became such a great show. :allears:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MentholsNBeer posted:

I dunno. I've read the books and the story is pretty cool overall. It just takes a bit for all the plot engines to start going full speed. Of course now everyone says they love The Wire. But I bet back in the day there was a lot of complaining that nothing was happening in the first couple of episodes. (This show definitely won't be as good as The Wire, that's not what I'm saying.)

I am just waiting for the part where Ephraim has to shave his head for plot reasons and we can all put the hairpiece behind us.

I also imagine there will be less AA and custody battle moping once the vampire infestation goes full swing.

The show is strongest during the barf bag and vampires ruining people scenes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Why did the vampire crush the gently caress out of the dude's head? Was it to hide the sucky marks? In the plane he didn't actually feed on anyone, then, did he? Just infected them all with worms, right?

And I kinda like the idea that one worm in your body grows large enough to become the 'master worm' and come out to feed. At least I'm assuming it's a worm, and not a sudden new appendage you somehow grow in your mouth. It's very similar to the giant hyper intelligent/evil immortal squid in your body Vamphyri in the Necroscope books. Kind of. Sorta, in a way.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 26, 2014

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
Fet better not die. Kevin Durand :syoon:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Drifter posted:

Why did the vampire crush the gently caress out of the dude's head? Was it to hide the sucky marks? In the plane he didn't actually feed on anyone, then, did he? Just infected them all with worms, right?

I'm not sure why he crushed the guy's head, but all the bodies on the plane were drained of blood so I'd guess he was chowing down.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Drifter posted:

And I kinda like the idea that one worm in your body grows large enough to become the 'master worm' and come out to feed. At least I'm assuming it's a worm, and not a sudden new appendage you somehow grow in your mouth. It's very similar to the giant hyper intelligent/evil immortal squid in your body Vamphyri in the Necroscope books. Kind of. Sorta, in a way.

In the book, there are six other Ancient vampires. They do not want to overload the world with vampires because of the geometric progression of infection, and the fear that vampires would quickly overwhelm their own food source. They crush the head after feeding so the newly infected don't rise.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Edwardian posted:

In the book,

Huh, okay. So do the worms not turn people into vampires as well, then? I thought those worms made you be a vampire?

Or is this just a watch the show and see type of question?

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

I think they do -- but if the brain/spine are destroyed, there's no way to reanimate. No CNS = no transformation.

If enough of the body is traumatically injured, the worms go looking for another host.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do the vampires in the books do martial arts or use swords?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I think clearly it was demonstrated that vampires use a rather brutal form of MMA.

Edwardian posted:

I think they do -- but if the brain/spine are destroyed, there's no way to reanimate. No CNS = no transformation.

If enough of the body is traumatically injured, the worms go looking for another host.

Okay. It just seems weird then that if nobody knows they exist as well as them wanting to keep their numbers down that they'd unleash some randomly large amount of newly made vampires out free roaming around the city.

One, their species'll be discovered right quick by the military/governments/people who can study them and gently caress them up. Two, what if one of the newly infected goes on a business trip or something or infects someone else who then leaves the state/country? It just seems kinda loose.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

I think (and honestly, I started reading the books after the premiere, because I was intrigued) the backstory is that

there are 7 Ancients (3 on the Old World and 3 in the New world), and 6 of them are happy being behind-the-scenes players. They control a lot of people and governments, they stay hidden and are perfectly happy to run things from obscurity.

The Master causing all the chaos is the 7th, and he's making a major power grab. He's broken the "truce" the other 6 have maintained for millennia. There's a brief mention of one of the Old World Ancients being killed in Bulgaria, and that is supposedly the work of the rogue one -- he wants to basically come out of the shadows and rule openly.

Then again, I am only about halfway through the second book, so...

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
[quote="Drifter" post=""4327226"]Okay. It just seems weird then that if nobody knows they exist as well as them wanting to keep their numbers down that they'd unleash some randomly large amount of newly made vampires out free roaming around the city.

One, their species'll be discovered right quick by the military/governments/people who can study them and gently caress them up. Two, what if one of the newly infected goes on a business trip or something or infects someone else who then leaves the state/country? It just seems kinda loose.
[/quote]

All of these things are addressed in the books. They're pretty badly written but the background and plans of the creatures are well thought out.

Edwardian explained point 1, but as for point 2 the head vamps can exercise some level of control over the people they turn so that's not an issue.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well poo poo, I have no more issues with it so far, then.

Bring on episode 3!

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Oh, that's why he looks fake.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of funny how the Nazi vampire guy basically reversed his IRL make up with that scene.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
vampire Steve Buscemi

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pron on VHS posted:

vampire Steve Buscemi

Still looks less scary than real Buscemi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really hate stuff where teeth fall out so this is super gross.

• Locked thread