Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Chemmy posted:

That's the temperature for rare steak.

That is just about the temperature for warm raw steak, when I want a "black & blue" steak I don't even bother with the sous vide I just season and sear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm making 72-hour short ribs (129F), and I have a question about sous vizzle interruptus. I'd like to take my circulator over to a friend's house for the evening to make some shrimp and fish and whatnot, but I would also not like to ruin my ribs. If I put a lid on the pot and wrap it with a towel or two, am I likely to cause myself any distress if it's not being maintained for 4-5 hours?

My belief is that it'll be fine, since it'll be like doing a cooler sous vide, but 129F is a little on the low side so I thought I'd double check. The ribs are foodsavered, rather than vacuum ziplocked, which also gives me some confidence for no reason that I could explain.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think it would be easier to chill the shortribs in an ice bath and store in the fridge, then resume (and restart the clock) when you return.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BraveUlysses posted:

I think it would be easier to chill the shortribs in an ice bath and store in the fridge, then resume (and restart the clock) when you return.

OK, that's doable, though I would dispute that it's easier! Will push them a little out of dinner time when they complete but I have the feeling that 70 vs 72 hrs isn't going to make a noticeable difference in the output. Thanks.

While I'm posting: I'd like to do scampi butter for the shrimp, but I'm not sure that the garlic will have time to mellow in that short a period of time. Should I precook the garlic, or am I worrying for nothing. I guess the garlic is chopped pretty finely...

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
I just ate some beef ribs that I puddled for 72 hours at 140F, which I grilled after they cooled down a bit. They were fantastic - tender and incredibly beefy. I made a jous/gravy/sauce from the bag drippings, which was completely unnecessary as the meat was tasty and moist enough. Served them with smashed potatoes and sauted green beans.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I started this great looking rib last night. Its about 1.2lbs. I had a hard time deciding between sous vide and smoking it but I went with sous vide so I wouldn't have to babysit it.

I have done 72hr short ribs a few times now so I am considering 48hr this time to test it out. Plus, I'm feeling a little impatient...

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I think short ribs are better at 48 hours/144f, myself. They get a little too soft by 72.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

I think short ribs are better at 48 hours/144f, myself. They get a little too soft by 72.

I think I have it sitting at 135 which is what I had it at for the 72hr cooks. Would you suggest bumping it up to 144 when I get off tonight?

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
72 hours is too much. Go with 48. I just did a chuck roast for 48 hours, served with polenta and red onion jam. It went over really well with Mrs Creature and her friend.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Is there much benefit to doing sous vide for baby back ribs in place of or in conjunction with smoking on the grill? Anyone tried it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've tried babybacks without smoking and it tasted OK but nowhere near as good as just smoked. Combining both techniques seems like it could be pretty good.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 15, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've got some short ribs in for 72 @ 129, per one of the Serious Eats posts; I'm hopeful.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I've got some short ribs in for 72 @ 129, per one of the Serious Eats posts; I'm hopeful.

You have to eat around the fat, but it tastes pretty good!

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

novamute posted:

Is there much benefit to doing sous vide for baby back ribs in place of or in conjunction with smoking on the grill? Anyone tried it?

I've done a dry rub for 48 hours and finished them on a hot grill for about 20 minutes and they came out pretty great. The dry rub got all into everything while it cooked, and it gives a nice reduction for sauce after.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Wookums posted:

You have to eat around the fat, but it tastes pretty good!

Yeah, I was worried about it being under-rendered. Worth moving it up for the last while to help with that, I wonder?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I was worried about it being under-rendered. Worth moving it up for the last while to help with that, I wonder?
Wouldn't know, I'm a bit new to SV and the 129 rib is the only short rib I've made. It was annoying enough that I plan on doing my next in the 130's for 72 hours. Intuitively I think if you are going to up it for the last leg of the cook, you might as well just up it for the whole thing.

A better sear/blowtorch job than what I pulled may give better results as well, I was a bit timid with it.

I'm not necessarily advocating upping the temp. The texture of the ribs was something I've never had before and I still demolished them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Knowing you're going to eat short ribs in 48 to 72 hours is a double edged sword.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

novamute posted:

Over the last two weekends, I've done both baby back and the beef short ribs sous vide, followed by 3-4 hours smoking at a low-temp, with fantastic results. I roughly followed the Chef Steps recommendations you can get to if you sign up for this free "course": https://www.chefsteps.com/classes/barbecue/landing#/

The short version - sous vide the baby backs for 4 hours at 167, then dust with rub and smoke/grill for 3-4 hours at 176 (if you have an electric smoker) or as low as you can get if it's charcoal. I have a big green egg, so I aimed to keep the temp around 200, and smoked/grilled for 2 hours. Make a vinegar-based mop, and your own barbecue sauce and they will be amazing.

The short ribs were similar - sous vide at 144 for 60 hours, then dust with rub and smoked/grilled for 3 hours at 200. They were so tender that I had to tie some of the meat to the bones, so I might do 48 hours sous vide next time, instead of 60. They were also super super tasty.

I'll keep using this method and refining it as I get better at regulating low temps with the egg (I've only had it for two weeks now).

Babyback pics (sorry for the blurriness):

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Kalista posted:

Over the last two weekends, I've done both baby back and the beef short ribs sous vide, followed by 3-4 hours smoking at a low-temp, with fantastic results. I roughly followed the Chef Steps recommendations you can get to if you sign up for this free "course": https://www.chefsteps.com/classes/barbecue/landing#/

The short version - sous vide the baby backs for 4 hours at 167, then dust with rub and smoke/grill for 3-4 hours at 176 (if you have an electric smoker) or as low as you can get if it's charcoal. I have a big green egg, so I aimed to keep the temp around 200, and smoked/grilled for 2 hours. Make a vinegar-based mop, and your own barbecue sauce and they will be amazing.

The short ribs were similar - sous vide at 144 for 60 hours, then dust with rub and smoked/grilled for 3 hours at 200. They were so tender that I had to tie some of the meat to the bones, so I might do 48 hours sous vide next time, instead of 60. They were also super super tasty.

I'll keep using this method and refining it as I get better at regulating low temps with the egg (I've only had it for two weeks now).

Babyback pics (sorry for the blurriness):

Thanks! drat that looks good. Planning on making my own barbeque sauce for the first time too.

I keep seeing baby back rib recipes online where they are done for 12-24 hours at ~145 in the sous vide but they seem to all finish with just a few minutes on the grill for caramelization or a smoke gun. Since I won't have a very tight control on the smoker temp the internal temp will probably be getting up past 167 there anyway so a shorter time at a higher temp for the sous vide prep seems appropriate. I can just sous vide it tonight, pull it out, slap the rub on, and chill it until it goes on the grill tomorrow.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kalista posted:

The short version - sous vide the baby backs for 4 hours at 167, then dust with rub and smoke/grill for 3-4 hours at 176 (if you have an electric smoker) or as low as you can get if it's charcoal.
That's cool and all, but you pretty much might as well just finish them in the oven if you're going to puddle before smoking---you're not going to get much smoke ring formation after the meat hits about 60 C/140 F. You'll get some condensation of smoke on the surface of the meat, so it'll smell smokey and that contributes to the overall experience or whatever, but if you really want to sous vide smoked ribs you're better off smoking until the meat hits like 140 and then finish in the puddle machine.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

SubG posted:

That's cool and all, but you pretty much might as well just finish them in the oven if you're going to puddle before smoking---you're not going to get much smoke ring formation after the meat hits about 60 C/140 F. You'll get some condensation of smoke on the surface of the meat, so it'll smell smokey and that contributes to the overall experience or whatever, but if you really want to sous vide smoked ribs you're better off smoking until the meat hits like 140 and then finish in the puddle machine.

Pretty much this. I did a pork butt this weekend in the smoker until it hit 160 then bagged it, sous vide at 167 for 24 hours, then finished quickly in the smoker at a high temp to stiffen the bark back up. Came out really well with a great smoke ring. I've heard of people doing a 72 hour sous vide at closer to 150 but I've never tried it. I want my pulled pork to still have some bite and I feel like the longer lower cook might be too mushy. I've also done this process with tea smoked duck and similarly had excellent results.

One caveat to this method: The area around the sous vide will reek of smoke and the water will turn brown. This is because smoke can permeate some bags (not sure about the thicker food saver bags, I use a cryovac that uses the thinner bags without the corrugation that food saver bags have.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Random Hero posted:

I started this great looking rib last night. Its about 1.2lbs. I had a hard time deciding between sous vide and smoking it but I went with sous vide so I wouldn't have to babysit it.

I have done 72hr short ribs a few times now so I am considering 48hr this time to test it out. Plus, I'm feeling a little impatient...

And here are the results of the 48hr cook with some roasted brussel sprouts and mashed potatoes:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Want dat in me.

Anova sent a $50 coupon for doing a survey. Assuming it's not tied to me, anybody want it? PM me!

edit: gone, hope it works!

geetee fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 20, 2014

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

geetee posted:

Want dat in me.

Anova sent a $50 coupon for doing a survey. Assuming it's not tied to me, anybody want it? PM me!

I'll take it!

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Food safety question. I'm doing ribs for 24 hours @ 165F. Started yesterday, everything was fine this morning (about 16 hours in), but I went out to run errands today and when I got back the water temp read on the anova was around 120F. I don't know why, or for how long, this temperature drop happened. What's the verdict on the safety of the food? It'd be a real bummer to have to throw everything out and prepare something new for dinner.

Edit: When I checked on the ribs there weren't any funky smells, so we ate them and they were suuuuper delicious and tender. I'll post a food poisoning trip report should the need arise.

Although now it looks like my Anova won't heat water, so I guess I'll have to send customer service an email about that.

Breadnought fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 20, 2014

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

If it sat at 165 for a while, it'd probably be safe for a good long time, even at temps between 90-120. That initial cook killed most of the bacteria.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Botulism spores survive that temperature easily, are probably quite happy with the vacuum sealed environment, and start growing between 50-122 degrees F (fastest at 95). Not all strains of botulism produce an odor.

That said, since you found it at 120 it probably wasn't in that (highly un-ideal upper bound) danger zone for long and it's almost certainly fine. Just wanted to note that simply having cooked something at a high temp doesn't mean you've killed off everything. Spore-forming bacteria are hardy motherfuckers.

Since you ate it already, do keep us updated should you become paralyzed and/or die.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Don't botulism spores die in your stomach anyway, like with honey ? As in: botulism is only bad when you inhale it, and for babies ?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Spatule posted:

Don't botulism spores die in your stomach anyway, like with honey ? As in: botulism is only bad when you inhale it, and for babies ?

The botulism spores survive and procreate at the danger temp, creating the neurotoxin.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't think that answers his question at all.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Hed posted:

I don't think that answers his question at all.

The neurotoxin is the danger, the spores/bacteria we can kill.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Spatule posted:

The spores themselves are harmless, yes. When presented with the right environment (warm, oxygen-free, and full of tasty food) the spores germinate - becoming active bacteria again. So if you let your food sit there in the bag for a long while after cooking, you could potentially create a happy place for botulism bacteria - which will then go on to produce some wonderful botulinum toxin, a tiny amount of which can cause paralysis or death. Fun!

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

The spores themselves are harmless, yes. When presented with the right environment (warm, oxygen-free, and full of tasty food) the spores germinate - becoming active bacteria again. So if you let your food sit there in the bag for a long while after cooking, you could potentially create a happy place for botulism bacteria - which will then go on to produce some wonderful botulinum toxin, a tiny amount of which can cause paralysis or death. Fun!

Botulinum is lethal at one microgram.

That toxin is why you either need to have your food reach a proper internal temp within 4 hours or eat it quickly (e.g. 20-30 minute salmon at 120F). If you throw a super thick meat sphere into a sous vide at 131 and it takes 12 hours to reach 131 internally the pasteurization has not occurred in a safe amount of time. It's also possible that some botulism spores can survive pasteurization and reactivate! Douglas Baldwin suggests freezing after heating to combat this but I've never done it.

On that topic, research over the past few years is beginning to show the whole "inside of a muscle is sterile" thing is not always true (and false enough to worry, at least for me). One should always cook meat to a proper internal temperature. Not even counting jaccarded, transglutimased, or brined meats, the sterility of the interior only applies to live, healthy animals. Improper butchering or trimming, missed vascular or lymphatic disease can lead to contamination of the interior of the muscle.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

granpa yum posted:

Botulinum is lethal at one microgram.

That toxin is why you either need to have your food reach a proper internal temp within 4 hours or eat it quickly (e.g. 20-30 minute salmon at 120F). If you throw a super thick meat sphere into a sous vide at 131 and it takes 12 hours to reach 131 internally the pasteurization has not occurred in a safe amount of time. It's also possible that some botulism spores can survive pasteurization and reactivate!

Or just not worry about it unduly because there are about 35 cases of botulism per year in a country with a population of 300,000,000, which means you're roughly as likely to contract botulism as you are to be killed by a terrorist or a shark.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Phanatic posted:

Or just not worry about it unduly because there are about 35 cases of botulism per year in a country with a population of 300,000,000, which means you're roughly as likely to contract botulism as you are to be killed by a terrorist or a shark.

Yeah, but most people aren't doing anything that risks botulism except for eating canned foods. There is risk and people should try to minimize it.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

You learn something new every day.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Most of the studies I've seen suggest that the major C. botulinum risk associated with sous vide cooking is not during the cooking itself but rather in vacuum sealed foods refrigerated improperly after cooking (e.g. stored at temperatures over 4 C) for prolonged periods. I'd be interested in seeing data demonstrating germination and growth at sous vide temperatures over typical sous vide timescales (e.g. a couple hours to 72 hours or so at the outside).

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

SubG posted:

Most of the studies I've seen suggest that the major C. botulinum risk associated with sous vide cooking is not during the cooking itself but rather in vacuum sealed foods refrigerated improperly after cooking (e.g. stored at temperatures over 4 C) for prolonged periods. I'd be interested in seeing data demonstrating germination and growth at sous vide temperatures over typical sous vide timescales (e.g. a couple hours to 72 hours or so at the outside).

Yeah, most of the stuff I've read is along these lines (and I assume is why Baldwin recommends the cook-freeze method). It's interesting that there is not a terrific amount of sous vide safety research considering it's been around for decades

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Speaking of risk and ignoring it:

I just cooked the worst possible quality bone-in ribeye I could find into unicorn meat !

EDIT: a few seconds in boiling water to kill any surface bacterias was the first step. I suppose you could grill the steak first.

1h at 39C
1h at 49C
2h at 54C
30 sec/side on the grill

Don't do this at home I guess.

It was as tender and tasty as most dry-aged meat I've ever had. When I cooked this meat the usual way in the past (dump on the grill, let warm up under foil for 30min or so), it was tough to the point of being inedible.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Spatule posted:

Speaking of risk and ignoring it:

I just cooked the worst possible quality bone-in ribeye I could find into unicorn meat !
1h at 39C
1h at 49C
2h at 54C
30 sec/side on the grill

Don't do this at home I guess.

It was as tender and tasty as most dry-aged meat I've ever had. When I cooked this meat the usual way in the past (dump on the grill, let warm up under foil for 30min or so), it was tough to the point of being inedible.

Did you just make this up or got the idea from somewhere else? I'm so confused. Also, I'm entirely lost on grilling a steak for 30 minutes... under foil? Please advise because this sounds like insanity.