Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Anyway, some games caught my attention from recent releases:

Halfway - X-Com like turn based tactical game + rpg with a cool aestethic, holy poo poo it looks nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXxA382xPs&t=43s

LogiGun looks like a 2D take on gravity gun puzzles + portal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asSs0dNFkN0&t=30s

Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon - I really dig how this point'n'click adventure looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06mnlTRUf50&t=5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Velvet Sundown is legit good, you guys. After a bunch of rounds of loving around, Swing managed to get his hands on some data disks and sell them to an industrial spy for big money. It played out just like a scene from a Bond movie. Very cool.

Then he tased the guy and told everyone he was a terrorist. But still, very cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

What's the opinion on it so far?

I love it and everyone I've spoken to does, too. I haven't seen a single negative thing said about it in the DkS2 PC thread either.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
Is there any site or video series that reviews most of the new releases on Steam? I can hardly keep up with the thread and I found Palpek's list which is very helpful. I miss Steam Shots is basically what I'm getting at.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Palpek posted:

Anyway, some games caught my attention from recent releases:

Halfway - X-Com like turn based tactical game + rpg with a cool aestethic, holy poo poo it looks nice.

That art style is gorgeous, god drat.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, we need somebody to take the plunge and test Halfway ASAP because it's a freaking turn-based squad tactical rpg and looks awesome.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Velvet Sundown is really something else.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also as I just started learning Mandarin Chinese I pulled the trigger on Influent which is that awesome looking learn-languages-playing-a-video-game title. I should be testing it in the next couple of days so maybe I'll do a short write-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJsj25_B-RM

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Velvet Sundown is really something else.

It's preeetttyy great. Hope more people join this thing.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Do the early 2000's Hitman games stand up well? I've never bothered with the series and don't have much of a problem with playing with clunky 3-D games, just wanna know if the gameplay for them is still solid.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ImPureAwesome posted:

What's the opinion on it so far?

It's really loving great, and if this is the quality for all three pieces of DLC then :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sivek posted:

Do the early 2000's Hitman games stand up well? I've never bothered with the series and don't have much of a problem with playing with clunky 3-D games, just wanna know if the gameplay for them is still solid.

Contracts is fantastic, but Blood Money is pretty much the pinnacle of the series. I loved Absolution but BM is definitely 'the' Hitman game; clunkier mechanics and animation, but you have a lot more freedom and tools to play around with.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Velvet Sundown is actually pretty loving good, but it's suffering badly from the lack of a private lobby system. Right now, the level of discourse is basically "dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks" and that isn't going to change with the current lumping of every player into the same games. Don't get me wrong, running around getting people high then loving with TTS is fun, but I played a couple serious rounds too and they were pretty drat good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Blood Money is amazing.

Palpek posted:

Also as I just started learning Mandarin Chinese I pulled the trigger on Influent which is that awesome looking learn-languages-playing-a-video-game title. I should be testing it in the next couple of days so maybe I'll do a short write-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJsj25_B-RM

Good luck, but you'd be better off learning off of a site like Duolingo. Vocab lists, however point & clicky, aren't going to even be remotely useful.

This game looks like 'Flash Cards: The Game".

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I guess there was some sort of oil company espionage going on, but who cares. I just wanted to give a bunch of autographs.... and I gave all of them! They're all mine! Or yours I guess.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Azran posted:

It's really loving great, and if this is the quality for all three pieces of DLC then :allears:

If you can be non spoilery, what's great about it

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
That ship game is so good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Drifter posted:

Blood Money is amazing.

Good luck, but you'd be better off learning off of a site like Duolingo. Vocab lists, however point & clicky, aren't going to even be remotely useful.

This game looks like 'Flash Cards: The Game".

Duolingo hasn't added any new languages (for learning from English at least) in a while. It is a super cool thing, though.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Sivek posted:

Don't play the first one. The second one is better but still has problems like not being able to run while disguised, and a level that's covered in snipers where you have to try and cross the map. Contracts is pretty good, Blood Money is the best in the series.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ImPureAwesome posted:

If you can be non spoilery, what's great about it

They took some of the enemy concepts from Dark Souls 1 and made them not-lovely. Level design and enemy placement is great, battles were difficult but fair. First half of the game takes place in a sunken city, second half takes place in a Zelda temple, last part takes you even further downwards into the ruins and it's all really pretty. Some humourous stuff like a particular NPC invader with human behaviour, new items that reward not being clad in heavy armour like 80% of the PvP playerbase, fun and challenging boss fights, it's pretty big considering it's just 1/3 of the Season Pass, plenty of NPC summons for offline players, shiny new toys and old magic from DS1 and DeS making a come back.

And that's just the first part.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Deus Ex: The Fall is like if Human Revolution was ported to the PS2. I kind of want to see it through to completion, as janky as it is. Holy poo poo is it jank..janking. Just equip a pistol and fire it a couple of times.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

poptart_fairy posted:

Contracts is fantastic, but Blood Money is pretty much the pinnacle of the series. I loved Absolution but BM is definitely 'the' Hitman game; clunkier mechanics and animation, but you have a lot more freedom and tools to play around with.
I'll never stop telling people Absolution would've been fine as-is if the levels were Blood Money's style.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Absolution would be fine if it didn't actively punish you for playing it like a Hitman game. Absolution isn't a good game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Accordion Man posted:

Absolution isn't a good game.

Absolution is an amusing game, but everything about it is a total loving misstep. It's not even fun on its own merits, it's way too linear and many of the levels are just "get from point A to point B". It's from the Modern School of Game Design that states that innovation is bad because it means less sales, and everything must pander to complete dullards.

I bought it in a Steam sale for 4 bucks recently, and I don't know that I'll ever play it beyond the opening couple of hours. I've seen video of the later levels and they look basically identical to what I've seen, so I have no hope that it gets better. I don't know why people keep saying "...but it's still a good game, just not a good Hitman game!". No, it's not a good game.

Gentlemen Bones
Jul 22, 2014

I HAVE FEELINGS! I CARE! IM SO CONFUUUUSED!

Palpek posted:

Really reminds me of hammerfall, which was pretty. Maybe I'll check this out.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Absolution is awful and I have no idea why I thought it was going to be any good and bought it for $40 at release. I hate myself.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is the new Dungeon Defenders any good? It seems like they pretty much took the original and made it not crap.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

Absolution is an amusing game, but everything about it is a total loving misstep. It's not even fun on its own merits, it's way too linear and many of the levels are just "get from point A to point B". It's from the Modern School of Game Design that states that innovation is bad because it means less sales, and everything must pander to complete dullards.

I bought it in a Steam sale for 4 bucks recently, and I don't know that I'll ever play it beyond the opening couple of hours. I've seen video of the later levels and they look basically identical to what I've seen, so I have no hope that it gets better. I don't know why people keep saying "...but it's still a good game, just not a good Hitman game!". No, it's not a good game.
I played up until the small town bar area and I saw that it could have been good if it wasn't cut at the knees for that pipe dream known as the Call of Duty audience. Some parts like Chinatown and the strip club felt like they had the potential to be good Hitman levels but they never follow through. I got the game for free and I still felt like I kind of got robbed. Gamers ride the Sunk Cost Fallacy train really hard so I can see why people defended mediocre tripe like Absolution and the new Thief.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

You guys might want to take a minute to give Velvet Sundown a try. It's a free multiplayer game where you're a character on a yacht, trying to get information from other players who also have an agenda. Basically a social chat game, but this one converts your chat to voice. So this exchange gets a lot funnier when you hear it spoken:

Okay last one I swear

Dude started tasing all the passengers right after that. I'm not making this up.

OK so I tried this and it's really hilarious. It's janky and buggy but ill.be dammed if it's not fun.
I was walking around and some woman tried to pawn an orphan on me so I gave her a drink. Then wandered the ship trying to keep an eye out for stuff.
The text to speech is super slow and somewhat annoying as its hard to have a quick convo.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
I enjoyed Absolution quite a bit, and I say that as a fan of the Hitman series. Absolution's biggest problem is that the developers seemed to want to make it a cinematic experience, like you're playing through scenes in a movie. In that regard I feel they did an excellent job, the issue being that nobody really wanted that and would've preferred more Blood Money style game play.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is the new Dungeon Defenders any good? It seems like they pretty much took the original and made it not crap.

Word I've seen is that they've just made it into a new sort of crap. Single player may or may not be in (they actually removed it from the features list after putting it on the Steam storefront), and people have been having an awful time getting in, claiming that it's because of the lovely login overlay and always-on DRM. Plus something about in-game RMT.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Zombie Samurai posted:

You guys might want to take a minute to give Velvet Sundown a try. It's a free multiplayer game where you're a character on a yacht, trying to get information from other players who also have an agenda. Basically a social chat game, but this one converts your chat to voice. So this exchange gets a lot funnier when you hear it spoken:

Okay last one I swear

Dude started tasing all the passengers right after that. I'm not making this up.

Welp. Somehow I got banned without ever joining a single game. Looking at the forums - seems to be happening to a lot of people. Possibly for spamming the chat? Not sure. I typed a single line into chat, the game crashed a few seconds later, and when I start it now it says I'm not allowed to log in on this account.

Oh well?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If they charged a single dollar for that game they'd be making a lot of money and not the single $20 they're gonna make with their weird subscription plan or whatever their f2p solution is

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Unbalanced posted:

I enjoyed Absolution quite a bit, and I say that as a fan of the Hitman series. Absolution's biggest problem is that the developers seemed to want to make it a cinematic experience, like you're playing through scenes in a movie. In that regard I feel they did an excellent job, the issue being that nobody really wanted that and would've preferred more Blood Money style game play.

Yeah, that's all well and good but it's a poorly-written and hammily-acted movie. If I wanted to watch an awful Big Studio Film I'd watch one, I don't need to play one that's like 12 hours long.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

tater_salad posted:

OK so I tried this and it's really hilarious. It's janky and buggy but ill.be dammed if it's not fun.
I was walking around and some woman tried to pawn an orphan on me so I gave her a drink. Then wandered the ship trying to keep an eye out for stuff.
The text to speech is super slow and somewhat annoying as its hard to have a quick convo.
Haha, that was the first character I got. Went around trying to pawn off the kid while someone kept harassing me about a red thong. Then I was half BBF's with the lady then calling her a bitch behind her back :v:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Accordion Man posted:

I played up until the small town bar area and I saw that it could have been good if it wasn't cut at the knees for that pipe dream known as the Call of Duty audience. Some parts like Chinatown and the strip club felt like they had the potential to be good Hitman levels but they never follow through. I got the game for free and I still felt like I kind of got robbed. Gamers ride the Sunk Cost Fallacy train really hard so I can see why people defended mediocre tripe like Absolution and the new Thief.

Sunk cost fallacy is certainly a thing, but so is mega goon hyperbole. Got Thief for free and paid $5 for Absolution. Really enjoyed them both. Don't know what to tell you. Tried playing the older games of each and was pretty bored. Deus Ex was another game that followed this pattern. Really enjoyed the new one but I absolutely can't stand the clunky original. Max Payne 3 as well. I am sure there are more.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I recently built a new computer. If I were to want to transfer all my Skyrim mods over to the new machine, what would be the easiest way to do that that wouldn't end up with a bunch of broken files? Just drag and drop everything onto a flash drive?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

So I recently built a new computer. If I were to want to transfer all my Skyrim mods over to the new machine, what would be the easiest way to do that that wouldn't end up with a bunch of broken files? Just drag and drop everything onto a flash drive?

Yeah doing it that way shouldn't break any of your realistic horse cocks.

If you've got them installed via Steam Workshop though I think it should remember which mods you had installed and install them after you first run the game, it won't copy over your exact settings though only that you installed it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Accordion Man posted:

Absolution would be fine if it didn't actively punish you for playing it like a Hitman game. Absolution isn't a good game.

Absolution's disguise system could've worked better if it didn't rely on the game being balanced on normal difficulty and regenerating "focus" or whatever that mechanic was. I find it more believable than the "get off scott free" disguises from the previous games. Like, a small security force would notice someone who isn't on their roster wearing one of their uniforms, or a mechanic's partner's disguise obviously not fooling the other, but enough to get by security.

The problem with Absolution were the maps were too cramped for it to be any use, and the disguises were somewhat lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

One more post about Velvet Sunset, since Captain Swing asked me to share this. I had the privilege of watching this all unfold.

quote:

Captain Swing: Recap: I got high with my long lost daughter
Captain Swing: Got a taser from her
Captain Swing: Found some confidential data
Captain Swing: Sold it to a wealthy african dude
Captain Swing: Stole the data back
Captain Swing: And then convinced an oil company employee to give me his ID and go defuse a bomb that doesn't exist
Captain Swing: That's a win in my book

The daughter thing was some woman absolutely DESPERATE to get his business card, which she never got, the poor dear. The data sale was the Bond-esque moment I posted about earlier...when everyone plays along, this game can have some fantastic atmosphere. We were both really impressed with that. And the bomb thing...well, I really can't do that justice. It played out like a scene from Deus Ex, if someone was completely jerking J.C. around.

In conclusion, Game of the Year.

• Locked thread