Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm not sure if it's worse to have a game with no bathrooms at all, or to have a game with one bathroom at some point, leaving you wondering where the rest of them are.

For me the worse thing is to have plenty of toilets but no mirrors, maybe with some weird thing replacing the mirrors like in Deus Ex HR or just having blank walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sad lions posted:

Is it required for beating a super boss or something? Honestly that whole thing sounds like way more trouble than it could ever be worth (see also: beating super bosses).

Maybe. I know I never beat Zodiark, even with a few ultimate weapons on my side. And I never tried Yazmat, and he's designed to be fought over multiple encounters, so an ultimate weapon would definitely make that a more bearable affair.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Dr Christmas posted:

Blizzard patch days. They just released an update for hearthstone containing a bunch of battles against overpowered AI opponents based on WoW's Naxxramas raid. Since these fights award cards to your account, you have to be logged in to battle.net to fight them. So I'm getting several seconds of latency on a single player game.

Are you able to play on patch day? If yes then it's a really tame Blizz patch day.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Adequate posted:

Look if the Chief of Police can go take a crap without risk of decapitation, it's a bad Police HQ. :colbert:
Still Life springs something like this on you right near the end. All the locations up to that point have been mostly pretty reasonable, until you need to look in the FBI archives room. First, you need a pass to get to the basement, which makes sense, but when you get there you find an unguarded room that's really easy to break into containing a bunch of guns and robots. Then the actual archives room is protected by deadly lasers and looks like this:

The whole game is bad, but that just stood out to me as one of the most bizarre and inexplicable things in it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SourceElement posted:

I have to use a 3rd party program to force the PC port of Metal Gear Rising to 1920x1080 and 60hz because I use HDMI to connect my monitor to my video card. If I don't, the UI thinks that it's a much larger resolution, and the refresh rate drops down to less than half of what it should be. Without that program running, I get a headache from playing for five minutes.

Also because the refresh rate is so hosed over HDMI, a weird form of "burn in" occurs where the codec menu gets half-overlaid on top of my monitor for about an hour or so, even after the game is closed.

I'd say that the game's inability to work properly over an HDMI cable makes it a mediocre port at best.

I think people have different definitions of what a good port is. Like I don't have MGRR (...yet) but I've put up with worse things to play a game I like.

For me a bad port is one that is completely incapable of working on my computer in any fashion.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It has a 24 GB file size and almost 20 of that is from the uncompressed FMVs.
Titanfall (a very fun+good game) has 35GB of uncompressed audio. Total install size: ~49GB.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I just grabbed Anachronox in the latest Humble Bundle after hearing good things about it, and the control scheme is, uh... unique.

Also there's no option to increase mouse sensitivity so you end up slowly rotating the camera and accidentally clipping your mouse out of the 4:3 window.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Command: Modern Air Naval Operations is a fascinating and unique look into modern air/naval combat on both a strategic scale and a tactical one. It uses abstractions for stuff like actual combat, which is fine due to the game's enormous scope. However, sometimes those abstractions are poo poo.

Missile A is a good missile. It has a 90% CTH by default.

It has a range of 50 miles. Due to the shot being pretty long, it gets a 20% penalty.

You've now got 70% CTH. Cool, huh?

However, planes in the simulation have an Agility rating that runs from 1.0 to 5.0. 5.0 means a FIFTY PERCENT reducton in CTH. So that 70% is now a 20%.

Ballistics of a missile are a MUCH bigger factor than the agility of a target, so if anything Range should be a bigger factor with Agility a very minor one. Even a shot under near perfect conditions with a non-existent missile with a base 100 CTH has a 50% hit rate if fired at an agile fighter.

Grr Im so mad. Grrrrr. I'm steamin.

Grrrrr. So mad about these numbers grrrr.

I am done spergin'.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I'm one of those people that actually like FFXII, but I can't imagine why anyone would ever think poo poo like that is a good idea in any game ever.
I heard that the original developer of FFXII had a nervous breakdown late in development because the game was such a huge pain to get finished, and while he was hospitalized, someone else took over who had a major boner for the idea that retarded bullshit would make players communicate online and try to find the ridiculous secrets. Not a game, an ~experience~.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Simply Simon posted:

I heard that the original developer of FFXII had a nervous breakdown late in development because the game was such a huge pain to get finished, and while he was hospitalized, someone else took over who had a major boner for the idea that retarded bullshit would make players communicate online and try to find the ridiculous secrets. Not a game, an ~experience~.

I wonder if this line of thinking is what led to that terrible FF9 guide.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

the idea that retarded bullshit would make players communicate online and try to find the ridiculous secrets. Not a game, an ~experience~.
This is literally the explanation Dark Souls players give me for why the game is so poorly documented.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is literally the explanation Dark Souls players give me for why the game is so poorly documented.

There should be two separate categories for Dark Souls fans, one being fans and the others being apologists. Games that intentionally obscure things need to go whole hog (Legend of Zelda) or not at all or else it just interferes with the rest of the design being straightforward.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Overweight Shark posted:

Starcraft 2: I am literally incapable of playing Starcraft 2 and the support people are unprofessional as hell. Back when the game first came out I bought the digital version. I played it for a bit, and then moved onto other things.

I recently tried to re-download my game but found my account to be locked. I ask my friend and he links me this. https://www.dashlane.com/blog/efficiency/blizzard-hacked-battle-net-passwords-and-security-questions-compromised/ Roughly 2 years later blizzard got hacked. Apparently had I logged on sometime back in 2012 I would have been prompted to change my security question, but I did not. To unlock an account you need either a physical cd key (not available to digital downloads as I understand it) or the answer to your security question (Which was reset\deleted by Blizzard because they were hacked).

I contacted support. I get this stupid rear end email talking about loving gnomes and goblins and poo poo. I am a customer, you are a business, act like adults. Of course I didn't say that to them, and of course they wouldn't have read it anyway. The presumably automated system "resolved" the issue by resetting (deleting) my password.

I am now in a state where I can't change my password because I have no security question, and I can't change my security question because I have no password. This company has my name, address, phone number, and credit card info and they get hacked and they think it's appropriate to respond to basic level tech support with this goddamn roleplay poo poo. All of this because I bought a game in 2010 online and wanted to play it in 2014.

Just take the DRM pole and insert it into your butt. How hard can it be, jesus.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Drakengard 3 is difficult for me to play at the moment. I really want to play it because I like it, but in its current state, it has serious graphical problems. Whenever I get to an action scene the game reverts to an abysmal FPS and stutters like crazy, which makes it difficult to fight effectively and enjoy the game. I've struggled through it and gotten the basic ending, but I was hoping that before I continue to get the rest of the endings that there was a fix or something. If only I could turn the graphics all the way down like I do with all my PC games...I'm wary of searching for any changes or patches because whenever I search for information on a game that's heavy into story, I always seem to stumble into spoilers.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, except there's a difference between "Oh man, did you check the secret wall behind which is a cool boss if you flick the switch?" and "Does anybody have any loving clue how these covenants work?" *everybody shakes their head and shrugs*

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Heavy Lobster posted:

There should be two separate categories for Dark Souls fans, one being fans and the others being apologists. Games that intentionally obscure things need to go whole hog (Legend of Zelda) or not at all or else it just interferes with the rest of the design being straightforward.

You can miss the importance of the title if you talk to the npc who spawns in firelink after you ring both bells.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I'm feeling very justified atm in my decision to abandon MP3 halfway through the second level. It was critically acclaimed so I felt slightly embarrassed like it was my fault for disliking it. As you do.

This, but for Metroid Prime 3. Having the game split up into different planets makes it feel more like the first Ratchet & Clank than a Metroid game. I'm going to push on though, but I still like the previous two games better, with Metroid Prime being brilliant, and Metroid Prime 2 being the Lost Levels version of it, with the Screw Attack thrown in for good measure.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Brain In A Jar posted:

I just grabbed Anachronox in the latest Humble Bundle after hearing good things about it, and the control scheme is, uh... unique.

Also there's no option to increase mouse sensitivity so you end up slowly rotating the camera and accidentally clipping your mouse out of the 4:3 window.

I know this is a complaining thread but here's a Widdescreen mod for Anachronox that should help this issue immensely. http://www.wsgf.org/dr/anachronox/en

Download link specifically is the ANOX.7z bit under Solution & Issues.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The one thing dragging down Max Payne for me more than the cutscenes was that it had very good, action-movie like animation for shooting people in various places but only made headshots worth it due to ammunition and lethality concerns.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Headshots ruined shooters. :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

This, but for Metroid Prime 3. Having the game split up into different planets makes it feel more like the first Ratchet & Clank than a Metroid game. I'm going to push on though, but I still like the previous two games better, with Metroid Prime being brilliant, and Metroid Prime 2 being the Lost Levels version of it, with the Screw Attack thrown in for good measure.
I like Echoes a little more than Prime for various reasons (unimportant, because that's not what the thread is for), but gently caress Corruption. It's not a terrible game, but it's such a letdown because while MP1 and 2 have their annoying parts, MP3 is oftentimes just plain bad. And not only in a "this boss sucks holy poo poo" way (though it HAS THAT IN SPADES), but also in a "10 minute backtrack through identical corridors yaaaaaaaaay" way which is the worst kind of bad - the boring one.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I like Echoes a little more than Prime for various reasons (unimportant, because that's not what the thread is for), but gently caress Corruption. It's not a terrible game, but it's such a letdown because while MP1 and 2 have their annoying parts, MP3 is oftentimes just plain bad. And not only in a "this boss sucks holy poo poo" way (though it HAS THAT IN SPADES), but also in a "10 minute backtrack through identical corridors yaaaaaaaaay" way which is the worst kind of bad - the boring one.

I liked Metroid Prime 2 a lot as well, partially because I played it before the first one, and also because it was one of the most visually polished Gamecube games I've ever seen, while still running at a solid 60 fps. Prime 3 just doesn't stack up to Prime 2's wonderful organic and mechanical environments, and puts a horrible bloom filter over it.

Most of the team that worked on the first two games had left by the time Prime 3 had started, and its development was apparently cut short thanks to Other M. It's still a far better game in every respect compared to that one.

Prime 2 was a challenging game, but I feel like it helps the oppressive and lonely atmosphere. Like the Lost Levels, which I also had a lot of fun with, it's designed to test the players who have already mastered the first game. This kind of unforgiving design doesn't feel like something Nintendo would do since the Wii came out, and a lot of their series have lost their fangs to some degree (Zelda in particular), or have been absent entirely. They're still publishing games like Punch-Out, Sin and Punishment, and Fatal Frame (in Japan at least), even though F-Zero and Star Fox are out of the question for some reason.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Spider Ball boss ruined MP2 for me. Up until that point I liked it for the most part, but after dieing 5 times to that long, bullshit boss I just decided to call it quits. I feel li9ke the bosses are usually the worst part of Retro's games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Moon Monster posted:

The Spider Ball boss ruined MP2 for me. Up until that point I liked it for the most part, but after dieing 5 times to that long, bullshit boss I just decided to call it quits. I feel li9ke the bosses are usually the worst part of Retro's games.

There are two types of people that played Metroid Prime 2: people who hated the Spider Guardian, and people who hated the Boost Guardian. I guess since they're both on opposite ends of the action-puzzle axis, so someone who's coming in to the game for one of those will have difficulty with the other.

I was in the 'gently caress Boost Guardian' camp.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

That loving Sned posted:

I liked Metroid Prime 2 a lot as well, partially because I played it before the first one, and also because it was one of the most visually polished Gamecube games I've ever seen, while still running at a solid 60 fps. Prime 3 just doesn't stack up to Prime 2's wonderful organic and mechanical environments, and puts a horrible bloom filter over it.

Most of the team that worked on the first two games had left by the time Prime 3 had started, and its development was apparently cut short thanks to Other M. It's still a far better game in every respect compared to that one.

Prime 2 was a challenging game, but I feel like it helps the oppressive and lonely atmosphere. Like the Lost Levels, which I also had a lot of fun with, it's designed to test the players who have already mastered the first game. This kind of unforgiving design doesn't feel like something Nintendo would do since the Wii came out, and a lot of their series have lost their fangs to some degree (Zelda in particular), or have been absent entirely. They're still publishing games like Punch-Out, Sin and Punishment, and Fatal Frame (in Japan at least), even though F-Zero and Star Fox are out of the question for some reason.

Metroid Prime is one of my all-time favorite games and I really do not like Echoes whatsoever. I think Metroid is a franchise that I don't really want to be challenging, because if I was looking for a difficult FPS I would certainly not play Metroid Prime anyway. Also I think the dark world mechanic is definitely a Thing Dragging This Game Down; talk about a gameplay element nobody ever loving asked for.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FutureCop posted:

Drakengard 3 is difficult for me to play at the moment. I really want to play it because I like it, but in its current state, it has serious graphical problems. Whenever I get to an action scene the game reverts to an abysmal FPS and stutters like crazy, which makes it difficult to fight effectively and enjoy the game. I've struggled through it and gotten the basic ending, but I was hoping that before I continue to get the rest of the endings that there was a fix or something. If only I could turn the graphics all the way down like I do with all my PC games...I'm wary of searching for any changes or patches because whenever I search for information on a game that's heavy into story, I always seem to stumble into spoilers.

It's probably not worth finishing to be fair.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

Metroid Prime is one of my all-time favorite games and I really do not like Echoes whatsoever. I think Metroid is a franchise that I don't really want to be challenging, because if I was looking for a difficult FPS I would certainly not play Metroid Prime anyway. Also I think the dark world mechanic is definitely a Thing Dragging This Game Down; talk about a gameplay element nobody ever loving asked for.

I learned how to use the picture-in-picture feature of my TV set solely because of Metroid Prime 2. Back in the days before tablets and smartphones having to stand around for a few minutes twiddling your thumbs while you waited for your health recharge in the dark world was intolerable.

Also it would have been nice if they put at least a token amount of effort into shaking up your progression instead of having every single level be "find three keys, open this door".

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

But pretty much every Metroid game is at least at points pretty difficult? The entirety of Phazon Mines in Prime, for example.

Dark World is far better if you can force yourself to ignore the health drain and just destroy all the energy dropping pods along the way. I think that is pretty smartly designed. However, I also was in the camp of "hey free if slow health reg, let's wait around" the first time I played it (I'm a patient man, however) and I fully agree that the game lends itself to that gameplay far too much. It really doesn't communicate well enough that you can just keep going, you will find enough health drops because they scale with how little you have left.

Still far better than the horrible, horrible Hyper Mode. Every encounter in Corruption is either a bullet sponge or gone in milliseconds if you are willing to sacrifice health, which it 100% encourages you to do, and you can support it, so why even have the enemies at all? Or the then-empty corridors? Oh wait 90% of Corruption is padding, never mind.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I agree with all of this post.

3 wasn't amazing, but it was better than 2, which sucked balls in a ton of ways.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been replaying Sonic 06 - I noticed that when you get hit, if you try to pick up a ring you'll push it away instead with the havok engine.
This is a bad thing because this game is more "combat focused" and likes to place enemies that you have to fight all over the place.
Also, I forgot you can't hit enemies by jumping any more for some reason.

"Speed segments" are also way worse than I remember (the first one anyways) and is probably the reason why I'm not to big on Unleashed.
My little brother also couldn't finish a level in battle mode because Silver couldn't get up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Why the fresh hell are you playing Sonic 06?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Replaying, as well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The intricacies of the plot really require multiple replays.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

scarycave posted:

Been replaying Sonic 06

Stop this madness, man! What are you doing? Good lord.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Simply Simon posted:

But pretty much every Metroid game is at least at points pretty difficult? The entirety of Phazon Mines in Prime, for example.

Dark World is far better if you can force yourself to ignore the health drain and just destroy all the energy dropping pods along the way. I think that is pretty smartly designed. However, I also was in the camp of "hey free if slow health reg, let's wait around" the first time I played it (I'm a patient man, however) and I fully agree that the game lends itself to that gameplay far too much. It really doesn't communicate well enough that you can just keep going, you will find enough health drops because they scale with how little you have left.

The thing I hate about the dark world is that it forces you to hurry and be tense all the time, which is just not what I want to do when I'm playing Metroid. I'd like to be exploring, taking my time and getting into the atmosphere. Also, finding the upgrades, you know? It just isn't what I'm looking for, I guess. And yeah, every Metroid game has its moments of difficulty, but on the whole I think I just like a more chill experience overall.

quote:

Still far better than the horrible, horrible Hyper Mode. Every encounter in Corruption is either a bullet sponge or gone in milliseconds if you are willing to sacrifice health, which it 100% encourages you to do, and you can support it, so why even have the enemies at all? Or the then-empty corridors? Oh wait 90% of Corruption is padding, never mind.

Corruption is bad, yeah. I knew it was bad when I had to do some dipshit waggle nonsense to open a drat door.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Simply Simon posted:

And not only in a "this boss sucks holy poo poo" way (though it HAS THAT IN SPADES)

Yeah, it really did, it did however have something else that made up for it.

Count me in the camp that thought the Boost Guardian was terrible in MP2, I really liked the game overall though.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I excitedly bought Corruption on release day, then excitedly eBayed it when I found out that motion control via the Wii Remote was mandatory. Why would they completely junk the refined, tight, responsive Gamecube controls rather than be able to say "hey, plug in your Gamecube controller if you have one?" NO, IT MUST BE OUR GARBAGE MOTION CONTROL, IT IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I excitedly bought Corruption on release day, then excitedly eBayed it when I found out that motion control via the Wii Remote was mandatory. Why would they completely junk the refined, tight, responsive Gamecube controls rather than be able to say "hey, plug in your Gamecube controller if you have one?" NO, IT MUST BE OUR GARBAGE MOTION CONTROL, IT IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE

The point-and-shoot aspect of the motion controls worked really really well for Corruption, and it was integrated backwards into Prime/Echoes for the Metroid Prime Trilogy to great success. I didn't mind that. What sucked was the stupid gimmicky crap, like the grapple lasso and whatever.

Metroid Prime Trilogy was totally worth $70 even though all I play is the first game.

(e: Wii motion control chat? Time to complain about Skyward Sword again!)

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Jul 24, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RyokoTK posted:

Corruption is bad, yeah. I knew it was bad when I had to do some dipshit waggle nonsense to open a drat door.

That first world boss fight where you have to blow up the three orbs and you don't really have the energy tanks to use hyper-mode consistently is one of the most frustrating and awful things I've ever done in a video game and pretty much the sole reason I never want to play Corruption again.

quote:

(e: Wii motion control chat? Time to complain about Skyward Sword again!)

Skyward Sword and its control scheme is the most frustrating and awful thing I've ever done in a video game. :v:

quote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy was totally worth $70 even though all I play is the first game.

Trilogy's okay but when I heard it came with an art book and I got a lovely little postcard instead I was pretty pissed. Mandatory motion controls for Prime makings things more tedious than before too, and it removes some of the cool stuff like some of the X-Ray visor's effects and the rapid fire missile bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

RBA Starblade posted:

Mandatory motion controls for Prime makings things more tedious than before too

I dunno, I quite liked such luxuries as "being able to look upward and move at the same time," personally.