Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

To be honest, it's the tech and the interior that are i3's main redeeming features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KillHour posted:

I know this isn't a popular opinion here, but I would give my left nut for an automatic (or DCT) Abarth. My wife absolutely will not let me have a manual car, so my choices of hot hatches are limited to... uh... the MINI Cooper S, I guess?

And DSG equipped GTI's

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 23, 2014

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

Chrysler doesn't make any manual transmissions so unless you were shopping for an automatic miata it's not particularly relevent?

So it only matters to the typical consumer?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

KillHour posted:

I know this isn't a popular opinion here, but I would give my left nut for an automatic (or DCT) Abarth. My wife absolutely will not let me have a manual car, so my choices of hot hatches are limited to... uh... the MINI Cooper S, I guess?

Or a new wife

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

KillHour posted:

Funny, I have the exact opposite problem; after I taught my wife to drive stick, she is now adamant that we can't get anything else without a stick. Even cars where I wouldn't mind a flappy-paddle gearbox like an E90 335i or Evo X or something else where the auto/DCT is actually pretty drat good. Which sucks at least a little bit because I kinda like the new Jeep Renegades, but I guess I wouldn't be able to get one with the Trailhawk package because they're only auto in that trim. :(

PCOS Bill posted:

So it only matters to the typical consumer?

I dunno, if there's one car that seems to have a pretty good uptake rate for non-automatics in North America, it's the Miata. It's much much easier to find manual Miatas for sale than almost any other car I've looked at (barring cars that never came with autos at all).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Both those positions seem kind of extreme - automatics definitely have their place (in fact they are preferable in some types of vehicle), and it only takes an afternoon to learn how to drive something with a manual transmission

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

The next 500 Abarth will have an automatic as an option, and apparently it works pretty well. No flappy paddles, though, if you happen to like that sort of thing and don't want to reach down to the console to change gears. Note that it's down by three horsepower but gains thirteen pound-feet of torque over the manual version.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Wheeee posted:

My concern with the new 2.7 Ecoboost is that the Powerstroke, which uses the same block technology from what I can tell, has never been particularly reliable and that unless it's priced quite aggressively the V6 Ecoboost will just be a much more attractive option for a full-size truck.

Well good news, those unreliable Powerstroke engines weren't built by Ford. They were the product of International-Navistar, so not terribly relevant to this motor. May as well worry the reliability of Audi's old 2.7 biturbo V6.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

El Scotch posted:

The 2015 SS has options for a manual transmission and magnetic shocks. Once again making me annoyed they don't sell it in Canada. :canada:

This is really awesome news. I really wanted to look into getting an SS last year but didnt because I wished it had both of those options. Now I just hope I can find one to test out. I've yet to see a SS at a dealership.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nodoze posted:

Or a new wife

Seriously. Why does it matter what your car is?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
In my case its because she had a bad experience trying to learn once and doesn't want to try again. That, and cars are for a to b, and not having to think about your driving while you get there!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

devmd01 posted:

In my case its because she had a bad experience trying to learn once and doesn't want to try again. That, and cars are for a to b, and not having to think about your driving while you get there!

Just what I want on the road... People that don't want to think about driving while they are doing it.

My fiance drives a manual 500. Suck it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

eyebeem posted:

My fiance drives a manual 500. Suck it.

clearly this is what matters in a relationship

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

clearly this is what matters in a relationship

Wiggling a stick around?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Seriously. Why does it matter what your car is?

She has to be able to drive it, and doesn't want to learn.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The next 500 Abarth will have an automatic as an option, and apparently it works pretty well. No flappy paddles, though, if you happen to like that sort of thing and don't want to reach down to the console to change gears. Note that it's down by three horsepower but gains thirteen pound-feet of torque over the manual version.

You are my new favorite person.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I was behind a fiat abarth that kept stalling out. Right as I was getting really mad, it pulled off the road and a mustang that was idling nearby pulled up next to it. As I drove on, a dude in the mustang got out and started talking to the girl in the abarth. I went D'awww and went immediately from pissed to happy that their relationship was based on manual transmissions and cool cars.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I should note that my girl has no interest in cars, really. She directed me to pick out a "Small, cheap, car that works." As I was showing her options, she stopped me at the 500 and said "He will be mine. We will go buy it now. It needs to be a stick. It needs to be red."

As luck would have it, I found one with the mopar intake, exhaust, and short shift kit installed. She was unaware it was modified at all until I told her months later.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
My wife and I are only interested in manuals and as such both have manual transmission vehicles.

Not to make blanket statements about relationships and the right way to have them, but I can't imagine the person I was with just flat out refusing that I get something I want because they are unwilling to learn. I'd imagine it can't be very important to you either, rather than some sheepish "Oh OK dear" as you sign on the dotted line for a slush box, wife angrily looking on impatiently annoyed that you didn't put the toilet seat down when you were done using it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

My wife and I are only interested in manuals and as such both have manual transmission vehicles.

Not to make blanket statements about relationships and the right way to have them, but I can't imagine the person I was with just flat out refusing that I get something I want because they are unwilling to learn. I'd imagine it can't be very important to you either, rather than some sheepish "Oh OK dear" as you sign on the dotted line for a slush box, wife angrily looking on impatiently annoyed that you didn't put the toilet seat down when you were done using it.

To be quite honest, I'd have to learn, too. I'd be willing to since everyone talks about how it's the only way to drive, but I don't really know what I'm missing. :shrug:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Throatwarbler posted:

Chrysler doesn't make any manual transmissions so unless you were shopping for an automatic miata it's not particularly relevent?

Or most of the Automatics they use either.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Q_res posted:

Well good news, those unreliable Powerstroke engines weren't built by Ford. They were the product of International-Navistar,
Wasn't the Powerstroke 6.0 and 6.4's problems inherent to the design and the not the quality of manufacture? Mainly the emissions regulation hardware? Going by what the powerstrokehelp guy was saying about the motor if you took all the emissions regulation stuff off (hence all the DPF delete kits and such) the motor worked great. You'd just get busted by the DOT.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Wasn't the Powerstroke 6.0 and 6.4's problems inherent to the design and the not the quality of manufacture? Mainly the emissions regulation hardware? Going by what the powerstrokehelp guy was saying about the motor if you took all the emissions regulation stuff off (hence all the DPF delete kits and such) the motor worked great. You'd just get busted by the DOT.
The 6.0 and 6.4 were both designed and built by Navistar, the new 6.7 IIRC is the the first actual Ford in-house Powerstroke.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

KillHour posted:

To be quite honest, I'd have to learn, too. I'd be willing to since everyone talks about how it's the only way to drive, but I don't really know what I'm missing. :shrug:

You're missing out on a lot, both good and bad. Yeah, learning a manual transmission sucks at first. You stall out frequently, get frustrated, and wonder why you even wanted a stick in the first place. Then everything clicks. You no longer stall out. You shift when you are ready and not when the car thinks it's appropriate. You also begin to develop heightened awareness of the cars around you and realize that it's just more fun driving a standard. Also you get to join the roughly 3% of the population who can drive manuals.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I bought an S4 with a DSG when my wife said it'd be "nice to be able to drive (my) car if necessary." The DSG seemed to be a good compromise. I owned that car for a year and she drove it exactly once*, meanwhile I found it boring as hell for everyday driving, so I traded it and now my S4 is a manual. Also keeps me from having to worry about her curbing mah rimz or scraping because I'm so low. Now it's basically "buy what you want because I never drive your car anyway."

FWIW, I had a DSG GTI and loved it. I may go that route again in a Golf Sportwagen if I can get it with the 2.0T. The DSG fit the size and character of the GTI so much better than the S4, for some reason. She drove the GTI a couple times, but mainly only when I'd had a couple drinks.

*in her defense, the one time she did drive the first S4 was to take me to the ER, so ...

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The 6.0 and 6.4 were both designed and built by Navistar, the new 6.7 IIRC is the the first actual Ford in-house Powerstroke.

Sure but I wasn't questioning that. More of a question over design issues plaguing the 6.0 and 6.4 vs manufacture quality from Ford or Navistar. IIRC the version of the 6.0 and 6.4 Navistar sold for buses and construction equipment works just fine. Not sure why though.

FWIW the 6.7 seems a much better design but still seems to have issues with the EGR and DPF causing failures and/or poor performance and high maintenance costs. Modern emissions standards seem to really gently caress up diesels.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sole Survivor posted:

MagneRide basically makes the car handle better while making it more comfortable. It's used in most Cadillacs (depending on trim/options), all current Ferraris, and some Audis and Acuras.

The further along the technology goes, the more cool poo poo it can do. Early versions were just useful for basically letting you tweak the shock behavior from one mode to another with a switch. The modern ones that react much faster can now vary damping on each corner very quickly in response to actual conditions.

Ultimate goal would be a suspension that can range all the way from super soft for cruising to super stiff for handling, and anywhere in between, on the fly based on how you're driving. From what I understand the current crop is not too far off of this.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

DropShadow posted:

I owned that car for a year and she drove it exactly once*, meanwhile I found it boring as hell for everyday driving, so I traded it and now my S4 is a manual. Also keeps me from having to worry about her curbing mah rimz or scraping because I'm so low. Now it's basically "buy what you want because I never drive your car anyway."

On the other hand, I have definitely had situations where I'm glad I have an automatic that my wife can drive. Times when her car has broken down, or my car needs service and she's free that day to take it in for me. Even if she just needs to move the car to another spot for some reason. It's just more practical.

Also, if you don't already know how to drive a manual, you should probably not buy a brand new car to learn on. I started learning about 9 months and 20k miles ago and I still find myself stalling out, or slipping the clutch too much, or screwing up a shift and grinding a gear every once in a while. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting that kind of wear on something I paid a lot of money for.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

idk, if you just take it easy you'll be fine, modern manuals seem really stout. I learned on a new focus. Put 55k on it with no issues as a learner. Clutch was still really strong when I sold it too

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

IOwnCalculus posted:

The further along the technology goes, the more cool poo poo it can do. Early versions were just useful for basically letting you tweak the shock behavior from one mode to another with a switch. The modern ones that react much faster can now vary damping on each corner very quickly in response to actual conditions.

Ultimate goal would be a suspension that can range all the way from super soft for cruising to super stiff for handling, and anywhere in between, on the fly based on how you're driving. From what I understand the current crop is not too far off of this.

I have no idea how long the fluid itself lasts before it breaks down or whatever but in theory they could also be more reliable or at least require less maintenance since they don't have valves and far fewer moving parts.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hikaki posted:

Also, if you don't already know how to drive a manual, you should probably not buy a brand new car to learn on. I started learning about 9 months and 20k miles ago and I still find myself stalling out, or slipping the clutch too much, or screwing up a shift and grinding a gear every once in a while. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting that kind of wear on something I paid a lot of money for.

I actually think that newer cars are a better place to learn stick. At the end of the day, clutches are a wear part and clutch replacement isn't the end of the world or prohibitively expensive. They can take a shocking amount of abuse too, if your hamfisted driving means that a clutch lasts 75k miles instead of 150k, who really cares.

Learning stick on a beater means trying to deal with the vehicles other issues, like worn motor mounts, iffy clutch hydraulics (yay Miata slave cylinders), and an already worn grabby or slipping cluthc.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Unless you're a colossal moron, you aren't going to do any significant damage learning how to drive a stick on a new car.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

I have no idea how long the fluid itself lasts before it breaks down or whatever but in theory they could also be more reliable or at least require less maintenance since they don't have valves and far fewer moving parts.

They still have valving, they operate by altering the viscosity of the fluid to change damping rates.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Devyl posted:

You're missing out on a lot, both good and bad. Yeah, learning a manual transmission sucks at first. You stall out frequently, get frustrated, and wonder why you even wanted a stick in the first place. Then everything clicks. You no longer stall out. You shift when you are ready and not when the car thinks it's appropriate. You also begin to develop heightened awareness of the cars around you and realize that it's just more fun driving a standard. Also you get to join the roughly 3% of the population who can drive manuals.

That honestly sounds like a lot of effort just to make angry vroom-vroom noises and go :jeb: on the onramps.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

That honestly sounds like a lot of effort just to make angry vroom-vroom noises and go :jeb: on the onramps.

It's a good skill to have in a "just in case" thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You'll never be faster than me on the touge.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's a good skill to have in a "just in case" thing.

If you needed me to drive your car for you in an emergency, maybe you should have bought one with a proper transmission. :smug:

I'm sure I'll learn some day (this is a lie), but I don't know anyone with a manual car that can teach me and the fact still stands that my wife has to be able to drive my car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

If you needed me to drive your car for you in an emergency, maybe you should have bought one with a proper transmission. :smug:

I did :chord:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Devyl posted:

I've been driving stick exclusively since 2005 and I still stall out all the time :downsbravo:

Well not ALL the time, maybe once or twice a week. It happens.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've been driving a stick exclusively since like 2007 and I can't remember the last time I stalled my car. It's literally been years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I've been driving stick exclusively since 2005 and I still stall out all the time :downsbravo:

Well not ALL the time, maybe once or twice a week. It happens.

I'd be worried about grenading the transmission (or clutch plate) on my brand new car.