Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Matron Melua stands before the gathered audience of girls, who fall silent as she raises a fine-boned hand for quiet. When she speaks her voice is like a clarion bell which rings through the slightly stuffy summer air of the academy's chapel, and her perfect features convey nothing more than a sense of total honesty, comfort, and kindness for you all.

"Ordeals and fortune alike are blessed events ordained by Heaven itself. Without forgetting the feeling of gratitude and humility in your heart right now, you must take pride in your dignified spirit and find happiness. Earnestly walk onward, and always look towards the future. If you have to cry, cry! If you wish to weep, weep! Your tears today can be balanced out by the brighter smiles of your tomorrow."

She gestures broadly to the row of primly dressed and statuesque women standing behind her and they smile back in return.

"The other Matrons and I are here to safeguard you, to cherish you until you are prepared to pass on. Consider us your mothers here to watch over and guide you, and the other girls here your sisters. When you feel crushed by the weight of the world do not hesitate to rely on us adults, reach out to your friends and sisters for they shall do the same in turn. Sororité, Pureté, Sagesse is our motto of our organization. Heed it well and you will succeed in life with all of the advantages we can gift to you."

You look to the left, to the right. Sisters? Really? After what you've been through, after what you've seen and what's passed? Can you really do as she says and open your heart to a complete stranger, even if they're orphans too? You have reasons of your own to remain guarded, a strange and possibly unnatural power which you hold secret at all costs but maybe these people can be trusted. It's not like you have very much left to lose.

"For this purpose we gather now in prayer and cooperation, for all of us, may we be blessed with happiness!"

And that was the speech. There was a brief non-denominational prayer, some hand holding and quiet crying from some of the girls in the front row (where you were since that's apparently where all the new girls are) and then a brief explanation of the rules of the Dormitory. Pretty simple stuff really, keep curfew, don't barge into the Matrons' rooms, and stay classy. Apparently new arrivals are roomed in pairs along with older girls to help them with the transition. Your rooms are distinguished by the names of flowers, Rose, Hazel, Marigold, whatever. There's a lot of milling about as girls gradually file out to do (mostly voluntary) chores, wash up before breakfast, or meet with their respective roommates.

Joanna

"Hey new girl. Over here." The older girl waves you down from the back of the room, a brightly purple morning glory in her hair as she points to the matching flower given to you by the Matron and back again to her hair and the one held by the girl beside her. "I'm Andy, and this is Mary. You ok?"

It's actually pretty not ok. Before the speech the sanctity of the chapel had actually been a quiet relief, but the acoustics of the room and Melua's words as they rang through your head nearly drove you to tears. Everybody milling around and chattering doesn't help matters any, and you resist the urge to press your hands to your head.

The other girl Mary presses her hand against your forehead, a cool comfort given the hot summer air, and after looking you over almost-whispers quietly.

"Poor thing. Let's get back to the room and get you some water, maybe a bit of a lie down."

Andy looks like she wants to say something but at a nod from the other girl shrugs and decides to go along with it. Together and with your really hugely, big roommate in tow the four of you wind your way around the crowd, through a series of lesser used stairways and halls to your room where Mary helps you onto a bed and lowers the shades. The door closes, cutting off all sound from the hall and she rests her hand on your forehead and continues in a quiet and low voice.

"You guys doing ok? I know this is a weird and hard time." She looks towards Andy on the arm. "Andy, can you get her a cup of water and some aspirin? Oh. You know what I just realized, in all the rush I don't think we've all been properly introduced. I'm Mary Andreysen."

Princess Poni 'Hushpuppy' Potpourri of the Magical Kingdom & Elena Quick

"Hi! I'm Tracey, Tracy with an E just like the guy from 30 Rock? Oh my god I SO love your hair, I was waiting around at that speech thing in the chapel and I saw you in the front row and I was totally thinking to myself, 'Wow that girl has a really cute hairdo.'" Tracey smiles in what's probably her best and friendliest effort, but the rapid-fire mania of her speech and the way her eyes keep darting around to make eye contact with everybody in the room just seems desperate and weird. Sensing your reluctance she steps back half a step but doesn't quite leave your room.

"Uhm. Do you want to be friends? My roommates are at the Infirmary. Marianne's having some sort of stomach thing and the other girls are helping her. We're going to be meeting up for lunch later."

Xin Ye scowls at the new girl, clearly unhappy with the interruption. She half inclines her head to look the two of you over one more time before replying dismissively to the other girl.

"Go back to your room Tracey with an E. Your roommates will be back soon enough. They'll be friends with you if you ask."

"Take your pick of any of the beds and closets, Rhonda and I can take what's left. The bathroom for our wing's down the hall opposite the stairs where we just came up, usually there's enough showers and toilets for everybody but if it's full feel free to use the ones on another wing or floor. Once you're done getting settled in we can get some breakfast. Rhonda's probably get four of everything down at the Dining Room set up already if you're hungry."

The tour had been pretty thorough, Xin's explanations succinct bordering on brief. Introductions had also been polite but curt. Your other roommate Rhonda seemed a lot more talkative and nicer too, although she had gone ahead to settle some personal business right after the meet and greet. Tracey's smile crumples slightly at being ignored, but doggedly she makes the effort to recover as she looks at the two of you earnestly and hopefully. Her hands fidget and twist.

Whitney Langston

Honestly you're still pretty on the fence about these nuns and whatever the heck their deal is. Can you trust them? Maybe not. But it's better than being locked up and experimented on as some sort of science freak or something so there's that. There was a lot of blah about rules and regulations and stuff, and after the handholding there was a lot of crying and carrying on and something seems to be wrong with the other girl in the front row with you who has the same flower. She keeps making a face like uh... like something really bad happened. Which ok, probably did happen because if she's here then that means she's an orphan too but she's really hung up over it.

It gets bad enough/obvious enough that the sporty girl (surprisingly almost as tall as you but only without the stout) and the brunette in the ponytail decide to skip the rest of the hanging out and introductions and take her straight to your shared room so that she can lie down. Mary (ponytail) closes the door and lowers the blinds slowly and quietly.

"You guys doing ok? I know this is a weird and hard time." She nudges Sporty with her elbow. "Andy, can you get her a cup of water and some aspirin? Oh. You know what I just realized, in all the rush I don't think we've all been properly introduced. I'm Mary Andreysen."

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

It was, perhaps, only sheer goddamned stubborness, created from years (well, a couple of them) of believing she had to prove herself a tough lady. Maybe it was pride, with all these other people around, what would she look like if she freaked out in the middle of it all?

Whatever it was, what it had succeeded was in leaving Joanna a trembling mess as she tried to make her way out of the cacophony around her, nearly blinded by the pain. It was probably sheer luck that she stumbled upon the other two, really. Her vision was swimming by then, and only when Mary presses her hand against her forehead is when she truly realizes that those girls are, in fact, speaking directly to her.

At the offer to get out of there and someplace hopefully quieter, she nods numbly. The dark room and bed are a honest, honest relief. Her vision slowly returns as the sounds from the outside are muted, and she can finally pick up what Mary is saying clearly.

She still takes a couple of moments to compose herself, clearing her throat. "... J... Joanna." Her voice is raspy and quiet, as if somebody who doesn't really speak a whole lot. "Um... Jo's fine. S-sorry... I'm not very good with..." she gestures to the door beyond. "... Not lately."

quote:

+4 Destructive Scream - Joanna's screams can shatter crystal, render people deaf for a while, and possibly worse.
+2 Knack for Trouble - Getting into tight places, things she's not meant to find/see, and other kinds of mischief. She used to be even worse (better?) at this before life decided to crap on her.
+2 Streetsmart - Joanna may not have a formal education, but she has learned enough to know what's what.
-2 Hyperacusis - Sound sensitivity. The world is a noisy place and she rather hates it right now. Her own voice, which rarely rises above a whisper nowadays, sounds uncomfortably loud.
-2 Arachnophobia - gently caress spiders. Seriously. Preferred method of dealing with them is moving the other way as fast as possible.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joanna & Whitney Langston

"It's ok. Nobody's going to rush you or yell at you. We can take our time until you're feeling better."

Mary pressed her hand against Joanna's forehead, looking her over with some concern as she sits on the edge of the bed. Satisfied with whatever judgment it was she had to make, she took the glass of water and aspirin from the other girl and offered it to Joanna. Behind her Andy gestured halfheartedly at Whitney and the other unoccupied bed.

"Go ahead and put your stuff down wherever. There's enough closets and crap for all of us. Oh. Did you bring a bag? From y'know, before. There's like uniforms and toothbrushes and stuff you can use if you want."

Here's a question for the two of you, assuming you brought bags (duffel bag, backpack, w/e) with your meager personal belongings are they on you right now or did you leave them behind in the chapel in the rush? Offhand I'd have guessed maybe not for Joanna, but it's your call.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Princess Poni 'Hushpuppy' Potpourri of the Magical Kingdom

This girl was nervous, and she had immediately beelined for Poni and Elena. Did she jump the gun? Was she trying to play the long con? She had another motive. A hidden one. Poni knew she had no base of power here and was vulnerable beyond the reach of her hands, and so needed to surround herself with those she could trust.

And keep those that she couldn't within arm's reach. With a dip of her shoulder and a throw she sends her bag onto one of the beds to stake her claim, before turning back to Tracy. Poni reaches out to hug Tracy, "I'm sure we'll be great friends," but she needed information, knowing that she wasn't in the first row meant that she had likely been here for a while. She should already know people, so why is she so desperate to meet new people? "How long have you been here?"

As she leaves the hug she turns to Elena, "We should go eat soon."

Let the paranoia begin. :tinfoil:

My duffle bag is full of monopoly money.

Commoners posted:

Dread Submission Grappler +6 Gouge the eyes, break the joints, bend the bones, and twist the sockets. The nature of submission wrestling allows the target to submit, but the mindset of Princess Poni leaves no room for quarter for those who oppose her. She rides on reputation of fear and retribution laid out by the shattered bodies of her would-be rivals.

Princess +2 Princess Poni is a princess of the Magic Kingdom and has available to her some measure of loyalist resources and contacts despite the bloodied revolution and conflict in her home country.

Target of Assassination Plots -2 Due to her being the heir of the Magic Kingdom with several others in line behind her, her death would be to great benefit of either the pretenders who wish to take that which they claim or the revolutionaries who oppose the regime.

Tyrannical Reputation -2 Though her father, mother, and subsequent stepmother were known for their tyrannical practices against the peasantry and their bloody intrigue against fellow nobility, Princess Poni has done nothing to convince anyone otherwise of the reputation that has stained the regime. Evidence of assassinations, slaughters, and massacres point back to her via the work of conspiracy theorists, but world court has been unable to gather evidence to charge her for crimes against humanity. The Magical Kingdom is a failed state so terrible that the world is unwilling to become involved, and Princess Poni is only a few steps away from officially being responsible for this.

Delusionist +6 - Patrice is neither a Princess +2, any form of royalty, nor is she the Target of Assassination Plots -2 but is instead capable of mentally breaking and bending people's perception of reality. Her Tyrranical Reputation -2 is just one of these warpings of reality gone wrong.

Psychotic Break -4 - She is not exempt from these delusions, and they only function because she fully believes in them. They subconsciously shift and adapt to suit her needs for good or ill.

Treatable -2 - Her delusionist powers may be suppressed with medication or treatment, returning her to a stable mental state while also disaffecting those around her. She prefers her delusions and will avoid treatment whenever possible.

Princess +2, Target of Assassination Plots -2, and Tyrannical Reputation -2 are all traits caused by her delusionist powers

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Princess Poni 'Hushpuppy' Potpourri of the Magical Kingdom & also her roomate who's in the same room with her Elena Quick

"Me? Oh I've uh, yeah I've been here a couple months already." Tracey hugs back enthusiastically, but falters a bit when Poni pushes her away and changes gears mid-conversation. Having not been outright rejected she seems to take on color and confidence as she edges her way further into the room, eying the furniture and personal possessions already settled there with some interest.

"Hey is that a Coach bag?"

She reaches forward carefully with her hand extended, eager to caress the leather of Poni's duffel.

"Oh yeah! Can I go with you? To breakfast. I probably won't see my roommates until lunch, and we can totally chat and stuff. Sisterhood, Sagity, and uh... other thing? like good neighbors? I'm in Wisteria, right next door. I'm so glad we can get along!"

Now in fairness to Tracey, that is a pretty swank looking bag.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Whitney Langston

Whitney spun around & headed to a closet. As she did the backpack strapped to her came into view.

"Yeah, I have a bag."
Seeing the look of embarrassment on Andy's face, she continued: "The straps matched my shirt, you were sort of distracted by our new roommate's....condition, I guess? And I'm...well, big. You missed it. It's ok."

As she began to empty the bag of its contents into the closet, for once, she was glad for her larger size. It blocked the view so no one would see that her backpack containing all her remaining worldly belongings carried little more than another couple sets of outfits. As she emptied her bag, she saw a small collar pressed against the cloth. The small collar.

It really would figure, she thought to herself, that the one memento I managed to bring along would be one that reminded her of the most traumatic moment. Well, before the whole "you're an orphan oh my god let's take you" moment, anyway.

Tossing the bag into the bottom of the closet, she turned back to the group.

"My name's Whitney."

Qualities and Flaws posted:

Looks like an Amazon [+2]: She'd be politely called "stocky" if she weren't so drat tall. When something's just out of reach, or you need to spook a smaller person into seeing things your way, Whitney's a good one to have on your side.

Flying Solo [+2]: Whitney can handle herself pretty well for a teenager. Bills were paid, homework was completed, attendance was spectacular. Nobody knew her parents had disappeared until a couple months after the money her dad had hidden away ran out & the bill collectors came looking. If her part-time job paid a little better, they still might not have known.

Shrink [+4]: Whitney can shrink herself, with the caveat that the more she shrinks & the longer she stays that size the more sick she'll be when returning to full size.

Authority mistrust [-2]: Allowing any authority figure to get involved only makes things worse. Important interactions with authority figures seem to always go the opposite way Whitney would like them to. (Mainly when authority figures try to exert that authority; she doesn't come across as troublesome, but she does tend to over-react to being questioned. Lies when she should be honest, is honest when she should lie, etc.)

Looks can be deceiving [-2]: Ever since the incident with Kiki she's very afraid of hurting another living thing, or being hurt. She's extremely hesitant to actually use her larger-than-average size to gain an advantage, and she's terrified of shrinking herself down to the point where she herself would not be an imposing figure.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Elena Quick
Currently Thinking: I'm almost a little disappointed they don't use a Sorting Hat...

What a friendly girl. "Hi! I'm Elena." She considered hugging Tracey as well, but Patrice was still sort of in the way, so after a second of deliberation Elena tentatively waved at her instead. She gave Xin Ye one as well. Maybe this place won't be so bad.

The tour was pretty enjoyable. She'd been expecting a much more Dickensian situation, and was pretty pleased to be have been wrong. All of her roommates seemed like they were going to be great too - it was almost as if Karma had realized it'd made an incredibly huge mistake and was now trying to apologize to her.

Following Patrice's example, Elena likewise claimed a bed, placing her small backpack* on it before rejoining the other girls. "Yeah, food sounds pretty great. I'm sure we can all go and get some together, right?" If they have pancakes and powdered sugar you'll have made some progress, Karma.

----

Qualities and Flaws posted:

Kindhearted [+2] Despite her (understandable) emotional issues, Elena tends to be both polite and charitable towards most people she interacts with. As such, she tends to (at least) get along with everyone.

Athlete [+2] Has frequently played and is generally pretty good at soccer and basketball, along with a vast array of recess-time games. Can run a mile in about eight minutes, is never picked last for sports related activities.

Photonic Control [+4] Elena has recently gained the ability to control light - dampening, directing, modifying, enhancing, etc. It's a rather odd but not unwelcome development. She's trying to keep it hidden for the most part.

--------------------

Craves Friendship [-2] Without her parents around and cut off from her friends at her old school, Elena is desperate for the approval and friendship of her classmates. This means giving in to peer pressure and rationalizing her behavior all too often, unfortunately.

Fragile Ego [-2] Ever since the accident (which she refuses to talk to anyone about) Elena's become rather acutely aware of her own lack of significance to the universe at large. Anyone or thing that points out her shortcomings results in her either gathering up stress or lashing out. This also means she sometimes tries to project an image of being more competent than she actually is.

*Contents: Pair of extremely comfortable pajama pants, three pictures of her + parents at various ages, book with four of Shakespeare's plays, small mirror, bag of twizzlers.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 29, 2014

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Princess Poni 'Hushpuppy' Potpourri of the Magical Kingdom:tinfoil:

The last orphanage was an unplanned phase. She had picked that one precisely because it would spoil any plans to get her in one location, but the fact that she had been snatched away to this place so quickly without a single administrative gaff meant that some other plan had been made to bring her back into the fold.

It was the perfect place for an accident to happen to such a person of distinction. Even if the people who brought her here aren't responsible, they could be manipulated by those looking for a chance.

But it was one that wouldn't be provided. She needed a shield, and to keep that potential traitor within arm's reach in case of any funny business.

"Yeah, it's my bag from before-" She cuts herself off. It was more upsetting to think of than usual, but that mattered little and she wouldn't let it show. She had to focus or else Tracey would notice that she knew. "It's the only thing I really had a chance to grab."

"But let's go eat. I'm starving," Poni carries on, softly grabbing ahold of both Elena's and Tracey's wrists to usher them towards the awaiting food. She didn't eat the day previous due to the suspicious circumstances, and every one of her body's Pavlovian responses to food was going off at once, "What are you two going to be studying here?"

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna takes the aspirin gratefully. It doesn't block the noise, but it does help lessen the ensuing headache.

At Andy' question, she looks around herself, and gives a small groan. "Think it's... back in the big room." Her voice does come out clearer now that she has had some water. After a moment's thought, she checks herself over, before pulling out an old baseball cap from her vest, and sighing in relief as she shakes it back into more-or-less shape. She had forgotten whether she had taken it with her or put it in her backpack after she was told she couldn't wear it while on the meeting.

"Should... go get it."

---

Contents of her backpack: A few spare clothes, old teddybear, photo of herself with her mom

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Princess Poni 'Hushpuppy' Potpourri of the Magical Kingdom & also her roomate who's in the same room with her Elena Quick

"Right. I guess she can come with. Come on then."

Having had the 'official' tour everyone present is well aware of how to get to the dormitory's dining room and Xin Ye leads the group down the stairs and back through the first floor, Poni with both Elena and Tracey still firmly in tow. "Uh my hand... yeah a little bit of everything I guess? I mean there's like GED tests or something we're supposed to eventually pass right? Mostly I just want to hang around and not worry about stuff. Can you, uh. I didn't get your name?"

Tracey's free hand gently prods as she hurries to keep up, but she's either unable or unwilling to put much effort towards wresting herself free from Poni's firm grasp until they pass the doors of the dining room. ""Xin! Hey guys, over here!" Rhonda Melliers waves cheerily from across the almost banquet hall-sized room, a series of covered plates from the extensive self serve buffet set out before her at the end of a long table. As they approached she made a flourish with her hands and lifted the first cover to reveal pancakes, fresh fruits, bits of sturdy bacon, sausages, and pretty much everything else a breakfast might need.

"I didn't know what you take for breakfast so I got pretty much a bit of everything and a carafe of milk and OJ each. There's other types of juice too, but if you want a breakfast shake I can just run on back to the kitchen and whip one up."

Rhonda points back towards the kitchen, which a number of Matrons and students alike are gradually entering and exiting from.

"I think you saw earlier but we pretty much have everything in the kitchen to do everything, so if you want something special or really fancy I'm pretty sure you could do it or we can find someone who'd be happy to help. Melody told me she's doing a German pancake right now for her roommates, and that's going to be nothing short of divine. I set up a pot of rice congee on the end of the buffet there for you Xin, I used some fresh ginger and the leftover lobster from last night if you want to go grab some it should be just about ready." She eyes Tracey as she stands somewhat awkwardly, unsure of where to sit or put herself at the four settings at the table.

"Hi? Have we met? I'm Rhonda Melliers, Foxglove."

Tracey rubs at her wrist, settling for the nearest seat on the end facing before offering her hand. "I'm Tracey, your neighbor next door. And I'm Wisteria I guess? Is that a thing we do? I didn't know."

"Oh yeah it's not but it is? I mean, it's just a handy way to figure out where your room is and if I know anybody you know like your roommates or neighbors. You're still kind of new I take it?"

"Only for a couple months, Abby and I have been in Wisteria but the wing's been empty until today I guess with the shuffle of all the new people moving in and stuff."

Rhonda slid her plate and some pancakes across the table.

"Well sorry we don't have a place for you, I didn't know you were coming. Here you can take my plate, I'll get another."

Joanna & Whitney Langston

"Sure, if you're feeling up to it we can go right now. You guys want to go together or head over to the dining room first? There's probably going to be a line at the buffet either way but if you leave now and get lucky you'll be able to get all the really good stuff right after they switch it in."

Mary eased herself off the bed and offered her hand to Joanna.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Princess Poni 'Hushpuppy' Potpourri of the Magical Kingdom:tinfoil:

drat! She had left out the possibility of third, fourth, or maybe even fifth agents working in concert. It was a game of smoke and mirrors- One obvious agent to focus on to distract her from the more subtle routines that could possibly have been compromised.

As Rhonda spoke Poni became more and more suspicious. She did not believe in coincidences being simple things, but instead carefully planned and orchestrated machines well oiled and lubed to act as machines of fate to mill those who do not grasp their own choices tightly.

This breakfast was an assassin's dilemma- Four plates prepared for four people, though if even one was not in on the job then it was simply to luck whether she would be killed or not... That is unless they were willing to let an innocent die for the sake of their job coming to its completion.

The dawning information made the situation only worse- By offering her own plate to Tracey it was clear that it was one of the unpoisoned platters. This would mean that both she and Tracey were working together. Even further upon that, she had prepared a dish separate from the rest of them for Xin Ye, who could possibly by this fact also be a belligerent in this game of cloaks and daggers.

This would mean that three of the possible plates were unsafe, one would go uneaten in favor of the rice congee, one would be prepared and the seat already taken so that it would belong to the poisoner, and the last two would be eaten by the soon to be victims. Further, this would mean that Elena is -not- one of the agents and could be trusted for so long as she lives, which would be unfortunately short if Poni's calculations and counterschemes proved to be correct.

It all lined up perfectly. Tracey's roommates acted as a testing ground for the poison, and by getting them out of the way it gave her a pitiable excuse to get close. Rhonda would initially prepare the poisoned meals, and Xin Ye would act as the tertiary backup should the first two plans fail. First, this poisoning would be foiled. Second, whatever Tracey's plan is. Third, the final trusted agent that had shown no suspicious behavior at all.

But by bringing Tracey to the table she had saved herself with one further move- The coup de grace to truly foil the plan by rendering it unsalvageable even with the quick plate pushing being done by Rhonda- "Oh, don't worry. I'll go get my own food. I'm on some strict nutritional guidelines that I have to keep if I'm going to perform my best," like not having poison in her diet. By this lone statement the poisoners would now be forced to poison not only Elena, but one of their own. If Tracey did not eat the food laid out in front of her she would survive, but the hand to be played in this act would be revealed and all of their covers blown.

Poni moved to get in the line, gesturing vaguely at Rhonda as if to ease her back into her seat. Poni was truly a genius. Magnificent. Unkillable.

I have no idea if my Delusionist trait would play into this, but clearly those two plates that Elena and Poni were going to be fed were poisoned with whatever Tracey's roommates have been hit with, but now Tracey is getting the brunt of it instead. :tinfoil:

Commoners fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 21, 2014

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna takes the hand gratefully as she stands up. "Yeah. I... feel better. Let's go."

She takes a moment to focus on her other two companions and oh christ that girl is tall. Jo probably reaches to about her waist.

Kerzoro fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 21, 2014

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Elena Quick
Currently Thinking: You still suck Karma, but well-done.

Pancakes (with butter, syrup, and powdered sugar of course), toast (butter + grape jelly), bacon, eggs, and orange juice - Elena was delighted that they had everything she wanted. It was what she ate every Saturday when she had soccer / basketball / whathaveyou later that day. New school, new people, new living situation... it was a nice treat to get something very familiar to eat.

Making certain to introduce herself to Rhonda, Elena took one of the seats (the one closest to her) and then watched the awkward situation with Tracey unfold, plate switching and all.

Grinning at the other girls, Elena said a brief and silent prayer, and then waited as patiently as she could manage for her roommates (and Tracey) to grab some for themselves before digging in. Fixated as Elena was on the food , she was wholly unable to keep track of the complicated plots, counter plots, and assassination attempts that were apparently whirling about Patrice like subtle breezes. No, as far as she could tell Patrice was just feeling a bit nervous.

Having said something about a special diet for maximum performance, a third of her roommates left to grab food from the kitchens. Hmm, cool. I'll have to ask her about that later maybe. For now though, she needed to talk to Rhonda and Xin Ye.

"Thanks for grabbing all the food, and the plates and cups and everything." Think of something cool to say. "So, how long have you two gone here? Do you like it here?" Dammit!

Elena's going to pleasantly (Kindhearted [+2]) converse with most of her roommates while waiting for everyone to be ready to eat, so she can devour those pancakes. Also I forgot my character sheet earlier so here it is.

quote:

Elena Quick

Qualities and Flaws
Kindhearted [+2] Despite her (understandable) emotional issues, Elena tends to be both polite and charitable towards most people she interacts with. As such, she tends to (at least) get along with everyone.

Athlete [+2] Has frequently played and is generally pretty good at soccer and basketball, along with a vast array of recess-time games. Can run a mile in about eight minutes, is never picked last for sports related activities.

Photonic Control [+4] Elena has recently gained the ability to control light - dampening, directing, modifying, enhancing, etc. It's a rather odd but not unwelcome development. She's trying to keep it hidden for the most part.

--------------------

Craves Friendship [-2] Without her parents around and cut off from her friends at her old school, Elena is desperate for the approval and friendship of her classmates. This means giving in to peer pressure and rationalizing her behavior all too often, unfortunately.

Fragile Ego [-2] Ever since the accident (which she refuses to talk to anyone about) Elena's become rather acutely aware of her own lack of significance to the universe at large. Anyone or thing that points out her shortcomings results in her either gathering up stress or lashing out. This also means she sometimes tries to project an image of being more competent than she actually is.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"Oh ok. There's vitamin supplements and stuff in the infirmary if you want to stop by there later."

Was that a glint of desperation or panic in her eyes as she looked into Rhonda's before accepting the plate? Feigning graciousness and kindness, Poni had slipped her own (clearly poisoned) plate across the table at Tracey before Rhonda could pass her the safe one, and she grinned wolfishly at the other girl in a clash of wills as she dared her to slip up and break the facade. The assassins had failed to account for Poni's raw cunning and keen senses, and caught in a web of half-lies and poorly defined roles Tracey had no recourse but to sit and eat from the poisoned plate.

Rolling to poison Tracey +6 Delusionist: 2d6 12 + 6 = 18!

Plate resists being changed -4 It's a plate!: 2d6 7 -4 = 3!

Mindful of Poni's dreadful gaze rooting her in place, Tracey stared at the pancakes on the plate for a moment before cutting away a bite from the top layer of the stack for herself.

"Mm, these are nice and fresh. They're so fluffy!"

She looked to Rhonda, Poni, Xin, and back at Poni again as the princess watched carefully from her place in the buffet's long line. It'd be a while before she got her food, but watching the discomfort and confusion of her foes made it worth the wait.

"but clearly those two plates that Elena and Poni were going to be fed were poisoned with whatever Tracey's roommates have been hit with, but now Tracey is getting the brunt of it instead." Given your train of logic the best way to do this would be to have Rhonda keep her plate and for Poni to give Tracey her own, which we can assume to be poisoned, so that's what's going to happen right now. You kicked that plate's rear end btw, Poison Status: As Hell.

Elena Quick

"Oh ok. There's vitamin supplements and stuff in the infirmary if you want to stop by there later."

Patrice had been a little abrupt but deep down Elena was pretty sure she was just dealing with things in her own way. The other girl carried herself with the grace of an athelete and was lithe and muscley in all sorts of ways, and the turmoil of being a sudden orphan and moving to a new place must have been as stressful for her as it was for Elena. Deep down she was probably really nice. She even gave up her own plate so that Rhonda wouldn't have to get a new one, and clearly she was getting along with Tracey as they shared a friendly and almost conspiratorial look as Patrice went to the buffet line to get her own specially chosen food. Definitely socially awkward though.

"Mm, these are nice and fresh. They're so fluffy!"

Elena noticed that she was almost at the epicenter of a subtle and quiet change as it rippled outwards. The girls already seated nearby shifted away almost imperceptibly, and the ones already in line looked backwards uncomfortably as if suddenly aware of something unpleasant behind them. At the edges of the room behind Patrice's back she saw a cluster of girls point and whisper beneath their hands. People were watching their little table-end, and trying kind of hard not to look directly. Weird.

"It's been a couple years for me. My family was on the way home from a vacation in Yellowstone and our car met a truck coming the wrong way."

Rhonda pulled at the neckline of her shirt, exposing the outline of a narrow scar across her neck and shoulder.

"That's why they call em safety belts I guess."

The mood at the table dropped precipitously, and Tracey coughed into her pancakes and reached for a glass of orange juice. She cleared her throat loudly to break the rapidly forming ice.

"Uh well at least it's really nice here and all the Matrons are super awesome. Abby, the girl who I've been rooming with in Wisteria's been here three years and she says they'll take care of pretty much everything we need if we ask."

Xin Ye settled into the last unclaimed seat, staring at the spread of food assembled by Rhonda before spearing a plump strawberry for herself from a pile.

"Yeah they're great. Two years for me too. Rhonda and I came in the same year. We were roommates."

Joanna

"Yeaaah I can't cook for crap, and that buffet is pretty much the saving grace of my mornings. Come on Whitney, Matron Katzen likes to do these breakfast skillet things that are all chorizo, hash browns, and peppers on the bottom and seared steak on top. They're amazing. Want me to grab you some yogurt while we're in line?"

"And some nuts and honey too. We'll meet up with you there after Joanna's got her bag and everything's settled away."

As Andy opened the door and held it open the background noise and hubbub of the outside flooded in, Joanna braced herself for the oncoming headache but between the aspirin and Mary's cool hand she felt pretty ok.

"We'll take the scenic route like we did on the way over, there's less people who use it at this time of day."

Mary led her through the same series of turns, stairwells and disused hallways that they'd passed on the way over and now that her head wasn't quite spinning Joanna found the dormitory to actually be quite nice. The entire building had a sort of buffed and shiny old-timey feel to it, no cracks on the walls or flakes in the paint, and the ornamentation and grounds visible through the tall windows were nothing short of picturesque.

"I can give you guys a proper walking tour later, but the main thing you should remember is that all the inward facing windows on the main building face towards the courtyard and the Justice statue's right smack in the middle of it. The front end (obviously the one with the breasts) faces North towards the Main Hall and the dorm wings. If you get lost just find the statue, figure out which end of it you're at and you should be good. We're in Morning Glory, which is one of the rooms facing it's right wing."

The chapel was deserted, the other girls and matrons having long cleared out in pursuit of other, more breakfasty affairs. It was quiet and the thick carpet muffled their Mary and Joanna's footsteps as they searched the first row and beneath the other pews for good measure.

"Huh. Maybe somebody took it to the lost and found?"

Whitney Langston

"Yeaaah I can't cook for crap, and that buffet is pretty much the saving grace of my mornings. Come on Whitney, Matron Katzen likes to do these breakfast skillet things that are all chorizo, hash browns, and peppers on the bottom and seared steak on top. They're amazing. Want me to grab you some yogurt while we're in line?"

"And some nuts and honey too. We'll meet up with you there after Joanna's got her bag and everything's settled away."

Andy holds the door open for you as she leads you down the hall and towards the dining room situated in the rear of the building, waving at a friend she sees inside through the building's windows while you're cutting through the courtyard smack dab in the middle of it all. An enormous statue in a court of its own centers the courtyard, which in real terms is almost the size of a park. She plucks a handful of cherries from an overhead branch, popping a few in her mouth as she offers the rest to you while you walk.

It's enormous, and at a rough guess almost twice as tall as you are with wings and a sword pointed upwards into the air in its remaining arm.

"You do any kind of sports at all Whitney? Technically there's enough of us here that we could have a bunch of teams and do leagues and stuff, but it's not everybody's thing. Usually pretty easy to find enough people to do like lacrosse or soccer or something if you ask around though."

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Whitney Langston

She graciously accepted a couple cherries from Andy, then used her height to pick a couple juicier-looking ones from a bit higher up the tree to return the favor.

"I used to be on the basketball team. I tried soccer & lacrosse, even field hockey once...always a goalkeeper, for obvious reasons. I never really got a chance to see if I enjoyed those sports at all...I just got stuck in front of the goal and got balls kicked or chucked at me the entire time, and if one didn't hit me I got yelled at for letting it in. Not a lot of fun there.

In basketball they can't really make you camp out in front of one net the entire time, though, so that one I actually enjoyed.

What about you? Or Mary? I uh, I don't think Joanna's really into group activities like that."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Of course somebody would take her bag. Of course.

... Well, maybe the situation wasn't as hopeless as she thought, if what Mary said was true. "... I... yeah, that's possible. Where is it?"

Her voice comes out somewhat stronger now that the headache is a thing of the past. "... Um... I didn't really thank you for before..."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Whitney Langston

"Pretty much whatever. I just like to get out and run around a lot. The sports center's got everything in it and we can do basketball really easily. We've got indoor and outdoor courts of all kinds." Pulling a hankerchief from her pocket she spits the stones from the cherries into it before passing it to you with a wry grin. "Probably get yelled at if somebody catches us spitting."

Leading you through the courtyard and past an open side door Andy presents the dining room with a flourish. It's an enormous Harry Potter-sized room with windows facing the courtyard and a long buffet (with an almost longer line) against the wall. Geez, this building has a ton of windows.

"Hey if you want we can probably round up a couple of people later in the afternoon, do a pickup game?"

Joanna

"It's in the Matrons Office in the Main Hall, the big hallway staircase thing you passed when you first got here? There's always a couple of matrons there just in case of whatever, I think they use it as a break room and general office aside from their own rooms. If you need help with something and can't find me or Andy you can always head down there." She rounds the corner and turns to face you, expression softening as you both stand in the bright sunlight of the first floor stairwell. "It's no big deal really. As long as we're here together we'll look out for you, I promise."

"Hello? Matron?"

Tapping her fingers gently on the open door, Mary pokes her head inside the office and waves you in behind her. It's more like three rooms than one, and by itself is bigger than your old apartment at least twice over. She inclines her head in greeting to the two stunningly attractive matrons seated at table near the door.

"Matron Graviat, Matron Meldina. Joanna's a new student and she left her backpack at the chapel. Did anybody turn it in?"

The nearer matron smiles broadly, laying her cup down carefully onto a silver tea service before rising from her seat and heading over to the next room.

"Oh of course dear, we'll just take a look at the lost and found shall we?"

Mysterious bundles of cloth and twine, retro purses and handbags, and other assorted bric-a-brac are carefully removed from the box and lined up on the table for your perusal by the matron, who frowns as she reaches the bottom of the box.

"Hm. Doesn't look like we've got a backpack, maybe whoever picked it up is still looking for you to give it back in person? What room are you in and what does it look like? I'll let the other matrons know that it's missing and that we should keep an eye out."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

To be frank, Joanna isn't really used to somebody she just met being so nice to her right out of the gate, and she has no real idea how to react to Mary beyond blushing and pushing her cap down over her eyes a bit. "Uh... th-thanks."

Once at the Lost and Found, Jo can only bite her lip as she fails to find her backpack and... sighs. "It's... uh... It's this really old backpack, it's a faded blue, it... uh..." she tries to think about any significant details about the backpack. "... The zippers tend to get stuck, and.... oh! It, uh... it has this cartoony grinning fox on one side, although most of it is kina torn and only the head is clear..."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joanna

"I'll pass the word along dear, don't worry. I'm sure it'll turn up."

Graviat smiles and pats your hand comfortingly.

"We're in Morning Glory." After leaving a description of the bag and thanking the Matrons Mary leads you towards a quiet alcove off of the Main Hall, where she stops to buff the ornate face of one of the grandfather clocks which seem ubiquitous throughout the building.

"Saw a smudge earlier on our way over, and after I went to all the trouble of wiping it clean this morning too after winding them all up... So, you up to meeting up with the others in the dining room? It's pretty loud in there at meal times, but we could probably grab something and take a picnic out in the courtyard."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Jo can only look curiously at Mary as she cleans the clock. "You, uh... wound them all up? Izzat something we're supposed to do? There's a lot of 'em..." It is, of course, impossible to not notice all the clocks, especially with all their ticking and their tocking. Why couldn't they use some nice, digital, QUIET clocks?

She sighs and shakes her head. "I... I'll be fine... really. If it... gets to be too much I'll just bail or something." ... she quietly hopes that the dining hall is not quite as... echo-y? Is that a word? As echo-y as the meeting place.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Whitney Langston

Whitney hesitated before spitting the pits into the offered handkerchief. Wasn't the most sanitary thing in the world, but it was better than getting in trouble right from the start. She quietly kicked herself for eating the cherries in the first place without checking to see if that, too, would get her in trouble.

As they stepped into the dining hall Whitney's gaze seemed to turn to a thousand-yard stare, and even that felt like not enough to see the other side of the room. She's so distracted by it that she almost misses Andy talking about a pickup basketball game.

"Sure. I'd be down for that."

I think Whitney'd take +2 Amazon on offense just because she's so big & -2 Afraid of her own size on defense because she doesn't want to use her size to box out or block shots or anything that'd be construed as aggressive, so in-game she'd come across as a bit of a one-trick pony (and maybe even a "too good to play defense" diva if the wrong sort of person is in the game).

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Elena Quick
Currently Thinking: Note to self: avoid asking that question in the future.

Uggghhhhhh.

Well that hadn't been great there for a little while, but the conversation seemed to have moved in a more pleasant direction, much to Elena's relief. "Oh cool, so, there's us and the Matrons, and I'm guessing that they're the teachers and coaches and stuff too, right?" She obviously didn't know, but it sounded right somehow.

Taking a moment to take another quick bite of breakfast, Elena asked yet another question. "So, any of the clubs or sports here that I should check out? Sorry for asking so many questions," she added as a quick afterthought. Hopefully they were used to new people asking about the school, and didn't think that she was annoying or anything like that.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joanna

"Oh it's just chores and stuff. You don't really have to do anything, since the Matrons wind up doing it anyway if nobody signs up for a particular job, but there's a chores schedule you if you want to help out with whatever. I like winding the clocks. It's part of my morning routine and I like the idea that I'm helping people out by... winding the clocks and making sure that everybody gets where they're going in a timely fashion."

Mary's speech stumbles a bit, thinking about something as she rounds a corner but her jovial tone picks right back up.

"Plus I get to be the Keeeeper of the Clock Key." She twirls an ornate key on a ribbon around one finger and smiles jokingly. "So fancy. There's an academics schedule you can sign up for too if you want to take classes with the Matrons, or have something specific you want to learn about. The Matrons are pretty much able to give lessons on everything. I don't think I've ever seen them turn down a specific academic request."

Whitney Langston

"So yeah. Self serve buffet. What you see is what you get, although if you want to make yourself something the kitchens are right over there."

Andy waves towards the food as the two of you slowly make your way through the long line, the platters and plates filled with a surprisingly large array of breakfast foods. It all smells so good and looks fabulous.

"It's usually cool if you're doing something really fancy or really nice to make spares and put it out on the buffet in case anybody else wants to try but it's no big deal either way. Same deal if you want to clear your dishes or help with the kitchen. There's like a chores list that's posted back there and another in the Matrons Office if you want to get in on it. Aaaaw yeah. Right on time."

Andy grinned at the enormous cast iron skillet being laid out on the line just ahead of you, doing a victorious little double thumbs up thing with her hands.

"This is what I was talking about. Morning Matron Katzen."

"Good morning Andy. I figured you'd be dropping by so I went back and made another run. It turns out breakfast skillets are pretty popular today. Is this your new roommate?"

Elena Quick

"Oh no it's fine. We're supposed to help you settle in anyway so feel free to ask questions about whatever. There's clubs for arts, music, sports stuff. If you're looking for something specific you should try the bulletin board by the Academic schedule. There's club signups and requests and stuff. The Matrons do all the teaching and advising." Rhonda cuts into her stack of pancakes with care, portioning each slice with just the right amount of butter, syrup, and jam. "I'm in Cooking and Hospitality."

Xin chews on another piece of fruit.

"I don't do any clubs but I have a studio in the art room. I do metalworking."

Things are still a little awkward, and the table lapses back into silence but Rhonda gives it another go.

"Soooo, Tracey you got any interests?"

"Yeah! I like drawing and cooking and hospitality too! My mom was an artist and my dad studied at the Cordon Blue. Can I join your club?"

"Sure we'd be happy to have you. I'm heading back to the kitchen later after breakfast to help clean up. You should drop in, lend a hand and meet everybody. How about you Elena? Anything you want to do? I can probably hook you up with somebody who can help out if I can't."

Emily Hartwell

There's so much food. Trays and trays and piles of it with more being brought out constantly by a handful of Matrons and students. Cathy whistles in admiration as you polish off another plate.

"Wow you're really putting it away. You know they feed us pretty regularly right?"

Cathy's been pretty nice so far. After the general confusion of the whole meetup and tour of the grounds she'd helped you pack your stuff away and given you a tour of the grounds. As your (currently) sole roommate she's pretty much all you could have asked for, friendly, conscientious of your situation without really getting pushy or too nosey about why you're here, and she's even helped you grab extra plates and pointed out particularly delicious items of interest in the buffet.

"The kitchens are open all day, want to go pack a snack for later?"

It almost seems too good to be true and some dark part of your mind keeps turning back to wonder just what happened to your other two roommates and where they're at. Everybody else is sitting in bigger groups of four or more, but you and Cathy are pretty obviously alone. Are you being singled out or pre-bullied? She said that they were away on a 'special trip' but what kind of orphanage sends a pair of students out on field trips?

The entire thing gives you a really, really weird vibe. One of the girls you passed in the buffet line earlier looked you right in the eye and it was like she knew. She's short but pretty tightly muscled with a hard mouth and she keeps glaring back at your direction. Looking around it's obvious that there's some kind of thing going on, and that plenty of people are surreptitiously looking back at her.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Jo catches the stumble, but doesn't comment on it (no need to be rude).

"Huh... well, maybe..." She drifts off as she imagines chores someplace quiet. The tick-ticking of the clocks would drive her mad after a bit.

... which might happen soon anyway, as she braces herself for the no-doubt sound explosion that she can already hear welling up nearby. She has no idea where the cafeteria actually is, but this seems like a good guess.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joanna

The Dining Room is located at the south end of the building, past the dorm wings either way you go in the kind of lopsided decahedron (the building's got ten sides! or so Mary enthusiastically tells you) and is directly opposite the Main Hall. Even if you didn't know where it was, the general flow of traffic and low lying rumble of noise from the crowded room is a dead giveaway.

It's enormous, and crowded, and loud. Loud enough to be a distraction but not quite really hurt. From a distance through the open double doors is tolerable, but once you're there and in the midst of it all the crash of crockery, silverware, and snippets of conversations jabs at your hearing from every direction.

"Oh look, there's Whitney and Andy. Do you want to get in line and check out the buffet for yourself? There's a ton of stuff that they serve regularly and that people just cook up and bring out to share."

It's a pretty long line, but then the buffet itself is also surprisingly quite long.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
Emily Hartwell

Emily ducks her head slightly in embarrassment as she swallows another bite of chicken. It's delicious, but not quite as delicious as...

...nope. Not gonna think about that day.

"Um, sorry. I guess I have a pretty fast metabolism or something. Get kinda woozy if I don't eat enough, so maybe packing something up's a good idea..."

Half her bag is already full of food anyway, mostly granola bars and jerky, but more can't hurt. Emily's suspicious gaze darts around the room once more before settling on Cathy, but she tries to keep her tone light. No sense giving away her thoughts.

"Hey, I forgot to ask. Where'd our roommates end up going anyway? Does the school do these, like, small-scale field trip things a lot?"

poo poo, is she tipping her hand too much? Maybe, but worst case, she'll be alone with Cathy soon enough.

Jefepato posted:

Emily Hartwell

Monster Form +4 - Massively strong, with a dark leathery hide, sharp claws and a powerful jaw full of razor teeth -- not to mention even hungrier than Emily normally is and able to digest drat near anything.
Academia +2 - Emily is actually pretty smart, and has generally made decent grades in spite of, well, everything.
Scrapper +2 - Having been through a succession of mostly unpleasant households and equally unpleasant school districts, Emily learned to take care of herself early on.
Hungry -2 - Emily is pretty much always hungry, even when she eats vastly more than a girl her size normally should (which she does whenever possible).
Paranoid -2 - To be fair, Emily has a lot of experience with people who actually were out to get her.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna simply takes a deep breath, covering her eyes with a hand. "I... think I'll go after the line... thins out."

She's not going to let this beat her, goddammit. Still, she glances over to the table that was pointed out and hopes in vain that it's not overtly busy.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joanna

"It'll die down gradually as people...oh my god, what's going on over there?!"

There's some sort of commotion happening at of the tables further down. One of the girls seated at the table is having some sort of seizure, and another girl seated next to her falls over. Plates and silverware smash against the ground, and you wince as someone screams. Suddenly everyone is moving, tables and chairs are being shoved out of the way as people scramble to get out of the way or get a better look. Mary shoots you a glance before pushing her way over, putting her hand on the seizing girl's head, peering into her eyes, and after a beat bending over to listen at the girl's chest.

"I think she's eaten something poisonous. We need to get her to the Infirmary." She rests a hand on the other girl's head for a moment, then repeats the procedure. "Her too. Can somebody give me a hand?"

Whitney Langston

Matron Katzen smiles as she portions out a hefty portion of the skillet's contents but stops after a few scoops as she peers around your shoulder at some sort of commotion happening behind you.

"Something happening over there?"

There's a clatter of broken dishes and silverware, and someone screams. Something's going on down the line towards one of the tables, but there's too many people in the way. Over the heads of the other girls you can see that somebody's fallen across a table, but there's too much ruckus to make out clearly what's going on. Is that Mary over there with whoever fell over?

Elena Quick

Elena raises her fork, pancakey load halfway to her mouth as she mulls over her reply when she suddenly stops. Something's wrong. She can't quite catch her breath and as she gulps to swallow the mouthful of saliva suddenly filling her mouth her lips pull back into a grin as an ominous rumbling trembles through her gut, followed by a shiver which spreads throughout her entire body. The shiver turns into a spasm and her jaws lock.

Suddenly no longer in control of herself Elena topples to the ground, gasping for breath as seizures twist her and arc her back. From the corner of her eye she watches Tracey suffer through much of the same, knocking over tableware and chairs as she spasms atop the table.

Emily Hartwell

"Just a special interest trip thing. If you've got a deep abiding interest in particle physics or deep sea oceanography or something the Matrons can hook you up with day trips or special tutors if you ask them nicely enough and far enough in advance. There's going to be tons of leftovers so we can just grab a tupperware or something..."

Cathy watches in awed surprise as the tower of discarded chicken bones gains another floor.

"Seriously how are you putting all that away? You got a hollow stomach in there or something?"

She pushes the next plate of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy over to you, at this point caught up in fascination and curiousity as anything else. Then somebody a few tables over screams, chairs are shifted, and the tower falls.

"I think she's eaten something poisonous. We need to get her to the Infirmary... Her too. Can somebody give me a hand?" It's a little hard to see what's going on with all the people in the way, but someone's definitely calling for help.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Oh sure, add clattering plates and screams around the girl with the sensitive hearing. That will REALLY help. Joanna can only cover her ears with a wince at the commotion!

Of course... with two girls having collapsed and in the middle of a seizure, complaining about THAT would be... well, jerkish.

She wants to go in and help Mary, but frankly the wall of people and sound are too much for her... and... it´s not like a slip of a girl like her can help carry them... right?

Still, she does get an idea, at least. "I..." She pauses to gather her thought. "I'll... go tell the Matrons!"

And then she's running out of the room, away from the noise, and once she's finally away from it all, and her running footsteps are the only thing echoing in the hallway... then she remembers she actually has no idea where the Infirmary is.

Biting back a curse, Joanna does the only other thing that comes to mind and runs towards the Lost and Found, where she was just now! There are matrons there after all, right?!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Elena Quick
Currently Thinking: A lot of profanities strung together with panic and the taste of pancakes.

Ack!

Everything hurt, inexplicably. Why? What had she done? Was it the pancakes? That didn't make any sense! She hadn't taken a big enough bite to choke, and this didn't feel like regular choking. Even still, why was no one trying to Heimlich her?

Elena wasn't certain what to be most worried about. The incredible and sudden pain, sure, that was a given. But also... first impressions matter. She was in the process of making the worst possible one with basically the entire school. Hooray!

For a second or two, Elena recalled that she'd had a dream similar to this once. It hadn't been this terrifying.

Gasping for air, she tried to struggle up into a sitting position, but collapsed not even halfway through the effort. Let it be restated, everything hurt. Unable to get up, Elena settled for grasping at her throat, trying to let everyone know she couldn't breathe.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 29, 2014

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joanna

"Hey! Watch it!"

Joanna ran through the halls, startling and pushing aside several groups of girls as she made her way back towards the Lost and Found. Where was it? It shouldn't be so hard to find except the building was so drat big! She rounded the corner with a flood of relief as she spotted the massive stairway and doors of the Main Hall in the distance. She burst through the open door of the Matron's Office, interrupting the two Matrons from earlier as they sat for tea.

"Is something wrong dear?"

Elena Quick

A girl she didn't know tilted her head back, shouting instructions and asking for help as she slid a roll of napkin bound cutlery into Elena's mouth.

"Get that between her teeth so she doesn't bite her tongue."

"Do CPR!"

"I think she's eaten something poisonous... her too."

The girl's hand was cool and comforting on Elena's head but the seizures and cramp in her gut continued.

"Do CPR!"

"Shut up! Just somebody help me get her to the Infirmary alright?"

"Don't tell me to shut up, bitch. Who died and left you in charge?"

"Hey slag. Don't call her a bitch!"

Why weren't they helping? Elena watched in horror as the majority of girls around her wavered between indecision, sympathetic uselessness, and outright hostility towards one another. Of course. She was going to die on the floor in a pancake stained mess because a cat fight between two random strangers was more important.

Tried using some of Elena's traits for a social attack against the crowd, modified by that whole choking/poisoned thing, to get them to help but the roll went very poorly. :( Could try again with a different roll/combo of traits?

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna takes a moment or two to catch her breath. "T... Two..." A gasp of air. "Two girls... cafeteria, they... collapsed." She waves her arms around. "Maybe... poisoned?"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Elena Quick
Currently Thinking: Really isn't.

This wasn't good. No one was helping, life was unfair, and her vision was tunneling. She guessed she was blacking out.

No not dark, light.

---

Lashing out with Photonic Control [+4] to direct / modify every source of light in the room into a spotlight on Elena. Or maybe she'll end up lasering herself, who knows?

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 12, 2014

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Elena Quick

"Ah!"

"Puta!"

"My eyes!?"

The dining room exploded in screams and curses following the (also) explosion of light which blazed from the mostly dimmed or inactive lightbulbs of the room, through the glass of the enormous windows and every reflective surface, and for a moment what seemed like Elena's body itself. The atmosphere of the room flashed from hostility and confusion to outright terror as panicked girls began fleeing en masse.

The girl kneeling at Elena's side clutched at her eyes, adding her voice to the fray.

"Andy! I need you!"

She leaned protectively over Elena as they were jostled by fleeing bystanders.

"Andy I can't see! Somebody set off a laser or something and I caught it right in the eye! I NEED you here now!"

"I'm right here Mare. Matron Katzen's with me. Infirmary?"

Strong hands lift Elena up, and she's slung over another girl's tall shoulder.

"What happened to the other girl that fell? She ok?"

"Katzen's got her, come on."

After some disorientation and nauseousness from being carried across the room and down the hall, Elena found herself feeling suddenly much better as her convulsions died down.

"Oh crap. She stopped stroking out. Is that bad? Do I need to do CPR?"

Joanna

"Notify the Infirmary. Lead the way dear. Joanna right?"

Joanna gulped and nodded, still winded by the rush over. As she wound her way back along the side halls Matron Graviat laid a hand on her shoulder and stopped.

"Why are you going that way? This way's much faster. We can cut straight through the hall and across the Courtyard and get there in half the time."

Cutting through the main hall was much faster and Joanna felt it before she could see it or hear it, the rustling murmur of noise and panic before she began to see clumps and clots of girls fleeing away from the area. The approach was much louder than the way she'd taken over, and her sensitive ears prickled at semi legible fragments of conversation.

"...some kind of light bomb?"

"...dead girl..."

"-aytime...too soon..."

Together they crossed the courtyard, catching up with another Matron coming from another direction towards the dining room's back door. The two women nodded to each other.

"Anjou."

"Graviat. Heard the fuss from the music rooms and got told somebody's having a seizure."

"I heard poison."

"Oh that can't be good. Well, let's see who needs what and where. You ready?"

Graviat looks to Joanna for a moment, her expression softening to concern.

"You did the right thing in coming to get us Joanna, but if someone's hurt in there or has had a medical episode you don't have to come in if you don't want to. Would you like to wait out here instead?"

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

Joanna... just nods, the noise form inside the cafeteria is quite frankly getting uncomfortable. "I... I'll be out here, ma'am..."

A part of her feels guilty and hopes that Mary is OK.

Another part of her reminds her that oh hey she's still hungry.

The larger part of her just wants to sit back against the wall and wait it all out until things are QUIET.

So she does just that... keeping her eyes on the doors nonetheless.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joanna

Backing against the wall Joanna watched as the Matrons exchanged a glance before bursting into motion so quickly they were almost in tandem, Anjou pushing the door open as Graviat strode in grasping at something beneath her shift (a rosary maybe?) Their steps were loud and through the open door she could hear the not very distant echoes of people still moving away through the main entrances.

Joanna peered through the door and watched the Matrons as they swept through the room, looking beneath tables and disappearing through towards the kitchens before coming back to inspect the room at large. There was only the wreckage of displaced tableware and a vast amount of uneaten food, and Graviat muttered as she turned off a portable gas burner on the buffet line.

"There's no one here."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Does this mean the cafeteria is now empty of people or they just can't find the sick?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joanna

Joanna peered cautiously through the open door, surveying the abandoned dining room to some dismay (and a small flush of guilt).

"They-they were there, really. I'm not lying!"

"Oh I believe you dear it may be that they're jus-"

Graviat's nostrils flared momentarily before she leapt forward, bowling Joanna onto the grass of the courtyard as the explosion blows out the dining room's enormous windows. The worst of the blast washed over them but even from beneath the Matron's body Joanna found herself rocked by concussion of the blast, losing consciousness for a moment to wake to ringing ears.

"...are you hurt anywhere?... Joanna?"

The answer to your question is that it looks like everybody cleared out of here relatively recently but here's an action scene to get us moving again! The (gas?) explosion was pretty loud and I rolled it as an attack against you which unfortunately Joanna lost given the penalty from her flaw. Please distribute two ranks of damage until some sort of treatment is received or the end of the next scene (ranks of damage fade away at a rate of 1 per scene unless something fixes them).

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Joanna

You know how just before a really loud sound there is a moment of silence?

Joanna actually heard it before the dining room exploded. How Graviat's feet made no sound before she jumped.

And then there was darkness.

As she woke up, the only thing she could really hear was a sharp note, drowning everything else. The matron was saying something, but she couldn't really tell what it was.

She thought she had said something back, but couldn't even hear herself from the ringing.

The only thing that comes to mind is clutching her ears and curling onto herself, trying to drown it all OUT, and trying really hard to not scream herself.

---

Two damage... I think I could set Knack For Trouble and Street Smarts down to 0 then. That's how it works, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joanna

"...oanna?...n you...me?"

Joanna squeezed her eyes shut and bit the inside of her cheek, trying to drown out the the impossibly loud ringing inside her head while forcing down the urge to scream. She counted to ten(?) and took deep breaths and after losing track a few times along the way she regained some sense of composure and tottered unsteadily to her feet.

Matron Graviat looked worse for wear, the back of her habit burnt and bloody as she shouted something unintelligible to Anjou. The other woman shook her head, motioning towards the burning dining hall and pointed towards Joanna. Were they arguing about something? It was hard to say exactly but she could almost make out the words.

Yep that's how it's done.

• Locked thread