Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Goddamn, why don't mods want to work for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

SpookyLizard posted:

Goddamn, why don't mods want to work for me?

What happens? Are you putting them the right place? Which mod is it? Error message?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

What happens? Are you putting them the right place? Which mod is it? Error message?

I fixed it. The wiki lies. It's not to be put in the folder in %APPDATA%, it's the one in the install directory. For some loving reason.

E: What maps work well for working with trains and stuff. I've hosed around in the editor with my past few maps and I'd like to do one with lots of trains and stuff.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 22, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SpookyLizard posted:

I fixed it. The wiki lies. It's not to be put in the folder in %APPDATA%, it's the one in the install directory. For some loving reason.

E: What maps work well for working with trains and stuff. I've hosed around in the editor with my past few maps and I'd like to do one with lots of trains and stuff.

Any map can work well with trains. If you want something where trains are more optimal, you want large deposits with medium or less resources, as that will force you to expand and grab new deposits continually. That way you can keep one central smelting operation going and use networks of trains to go and grab new patches of ore to bring back to base.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Mayakashi posted:

Rather than adding combat robots, I'd personally rather combat be automated by introducing something like the Big Bertha cannon from Total Annihilation. Effectively unlimited range, ammunition is complicated to manufacture, puts a huge drain on your power grid to fire. Then just add some kind of scavenger bot to go pick up the artifacts.

This is absolutely the right answer balance and fun-wisely.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

A huge cannon to blast critters from far away would also give some sort of meaning to the radar. Currently I find radars to be useless. Sure, it's nice to have your surroundings explored for you, but driving around in your car you'll quickly explore the same and more anyway. If radars could be integrated with an automatic long range targeting system, the additional resource and energy cost offers another balance check, and perhaps I'd finally have a reason to build more than one or two novelty radars.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Alternatively, your radars should be able to pick up nearby bugs, giving you/your turrets forwarning. Whether it worked as a localized buff or turrets connected with wires or just by being in the same power network, you could make them actually useful by giving your turrets a range boost or something.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
What's a decent design for an expandable oil refinery? Any suggestions will help, just looking for something half decent to maybe gently caress around with.

Maybe some screenshots? I've got this tiny thing for now:

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Is there any way to bridge water? Found this neat island seed, but well, it's an island.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

bimmian posted:

Is there any way to bridge water? Found this neat island seed, but well, it's an island.

I think the roadworks mod adds bridges. You can also, in the worst case, open that map up in the editor and amke a small-ish land bridge. Justify it as terraforming.

Speaking of, you should post that exchange string. Seems neat.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

SpookyLizard posted:

I think the roadworks mod adds bridges. You can also, in the worst case, open that map up in the editor and amke a small-ish land bridge. Justify it as terraforming.

Do exchange strings finally work?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Do exchange strings finally work?

Did they not before? I've only used it like twice, but it worked fine then.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

AuxPriest posted:

What's a decent design for an expandable oil refinery? Any suggestions will help, just looking for something half decent to maybe gently caress around with.

Maybe some screenshots? I've got this tiny thing for now:

Refineries are stackable and blueprintable, and the crackers can be expanded and repeated as needed. If you stack enough refineries and run out of room, just add another bank of crackers along another petrol line.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

Please please do. drat cool map.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Roadworks definetely adds bridges but you have enable them in the mod file, though I want to say they dont work with railroads (yet).

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

%appdata%\Factorio\mods\somemodname ?

Communist Zombie posted:

Roadworks definetely adds bridges but you have enable them in the mod file, though I want to say they dont work with railroads (yet).

Landfill.
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3793&start=30#p36160

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

How do I get that string?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

I made this mod way earlier:

I shoulda made that engine a bot frame, but I literally cranked the mod out from "how babby form mod" to "tested as completed and working" in the time it took Rocket Defense to tick down 10 minutes.

Would you be so nice and give me the mod? I feel that aliens and artifacts are more of a chore than any real danger after a point

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

Unless I'm missing something, you can't load up an existing save in the map editor. Is there a different way of doing that? I did find a mod called Landfill that will let you convert water to land, I'll give that a shot if I can't open it in the editor.

In the meantime, here is the save- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70798143/island.zip

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So I got the demo of this on Sunday and then played twelve straight hours of the full game without noticing the passage of time, it's the most fun I've had in an RTS since the 1990's (barring Achron). :haw:

Have the developers mentioned anything about expanding the enemy variation? I feel like this would reduce the late-game grind that many people are talking about.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

bimmian posted:

Unless I'm missing something, you can't load up an existing save in the map editor. Is there a different way of doing that? I did find a mod called Landfill that will let you convert water to land, I'll give that a shot if I can't open it in the editor.

Just make sure you're using the fixed version! I linked it above.

Rime posted:

So I got the demo of this on Sunday and then played twelve straight hours of the full game without noticing the passage of time, it's the most fun I've had in an RTS since the 1990's (barring Achron). :haw:

Have the developers mentioned anything about expanding the enemy variation? I feel like this would reduce the late-game grind that many people are talking about.

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=678

Hopefully enemy variation is part of "proper endgame content."

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

bimmian posted:

When looking at a saved game in the load menu, there is a button on the bottom that says "Map Exchange String". If it does not exist, you have to update.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Shintaro posted:

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=678

Hopefully enemy variation is part of "proper endgame content."

Awesome! This game is really the sleeper surprise of the year for me, I love that the developers are actually getting poo poo done and regularly putting out solid and completely playable releases, instead of focusing on flash and milking Steam Early Access for all its worth.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have discovered that Rocket Defense's stack size is 5, so I only need 240 of them fill a Steel Chest.

I'm really bummed that their production can't be automated, so that I could just set a personal goal of 1000 Rocket Defenses or whatever.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

bimmian posted:

It should be under like Options > something. Might show up under like load or save games, you should be able to generate it. I believe there is also a way to export a save game into an editable scenario. Pretty sure I read something about it on the wiki when i was reading about modding and stuff.

bimmian posted:

In the meantime, here is the save- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70798143/island.zip

Thank you for this. If you don't extract the scenario first, I will tonight when I get home.

%APPDATA%\Factorio\mods\mymod

doesn't work. Maybe because I have Factorio installed to D:\Factorio and not C:\<default install location>, it wants the stuff to be dropped into D:\Factorio\Mods\<mod name>.

Once I got that poo poo sorted out it worked fine.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

I have discovered that Rocket Defense's stack size is 5, so I only need 240 of them fill a Steel Chest.

I'm really bummed that their production can't be automated, so that I could just set a personal goal of 1000 Rocket Defenses or whatever.

They only take a second to make by hand. Get a steel chest of modules, glue that poo poo together, repeat. On that note, I have my module factory crapping out 3 L3 modules a minute now...

Michaellaneous posted:

Would you be so nice and give me the mod? I feel that aliens and artifacts are more of a chore than any real danger after a point

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5uuh315vzchdu5i/CraftArtifacts.rar

Mod's very simple and presented as-is, no warranties or takesies-backsies

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 23, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I made a version that uses sulfuric acid, a blue chip, a robot chassis and a destroyer capsule. You still need to go grab some artifacts tje old fashioned way, but most items require you to make a prototype before automation.

E: This forums post has instructions on how extract a map from a save file. It's neat. Factorio will crash afterwards, however. For me it did at least.

I may gently caress around with the island somewhat, giving it at least a 2x2 tile way off the island. Unforunately I think this breaks the rocketdefense somewhat, but I can live with that. If anyone wouldlike a copy, I'll be happy to make one.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 23, 2014

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Evilreaver posted:

I have my module factory crapping out 3 L3 modules a minute now...

:stare:

Please post a pic of this.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

E: This forums post has instructions on how extract a map from a save file. It's neat. Factorio will crash afterwards, however. For me it did at least.

I may gently caress around with the island somewhat, giving it at least a 2x2 tile way off the island. Unforunately I think this breaks the rocketdefense somewhat, but I can live with that. If anyone wouldlike a copy, I'll be happy to make one.

I tried that last night, but it doesn't appear to work on osx. I did it on my windows vm, and i can see it under "user scenarios" in the map editor, but when I moved that file back over to osx, it doesn't recognize it as a scenario.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Radar was mentioned earlier in the thread, and I wanted to make sure everyone knows that on top of the active detection of far off map chunks, any radar dishes will keep a radius of the map around them updated constantly. Without either your presence or a radar scan (shows up on the map as the bright squares) you don't get to see new biter nests. If a nest or some worms pops up out near the far side of your base you won't see anything but all of the attack notifications.

Early game that doesn't matter, since your base is small enough that your natural radar will cover it, but lategame it can be helpful for tracking down the source of trouble-spots.

Unrelated, but is there a way to find out how many construction bots I've got? I'd guess I'm in the 400-500 range at this point. Is my only option "ask them to deconstuct a chest of junk and hold right click next to the chest"?

edit:

Michaellaneous posted:

Mouseover any network chest iirc.

Isn't that just for logistic bots though?

egg tats fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 23, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

senae posted:

Radar was mentioned earlier in the thread, and I wanted to make sure everyone knows that on top of the active detection of far off map chunks, any radar dishes will keep a radius of the map around them updated constantly. Without either your presence or a radar scan (shows up on the map as the bright squares) you don't get to see new biter nests. If a nest or some worms pops up out near the far side of your base you won't see anything but all of the attack notifications.

Early game that doesn't matter, since your base is small enough that your natural radar will cover it, but lategame it can be helpful for tracking down the source of trouble-spots.

Unrelated, but is there a way to find out how many construction bots I've got? I'd guess I'm in the 400-500 range at this point. Is my only option "ask them to deconstuct a chest of junk and hold right click next to the chest"?

Mouseover any network chest iirc.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Breetai posted:

Please post a pic of this.

Overview:

Chip Factory:

2 Chip (x4 Prod each)/3 Wire (11 Prod, 1 Sped) x11
A few beacons squeeze a little extra speed out of the chip factories.

AdvChip Line:
[2 asmb x 9]

4 Production inside, 8 Speed beacons, every assembler has THAT power and pollution rating
You can also see the module tree in this shot. Two trees, one jammed with Speed modules, the other not.

Processor Facility:
[this is the whole thing]

4 Production, speed beacons get them to +40% Prod and Speed, and each is 1.2 MW of power

Ore Inlet [one on each side]:
52 Smelters per ore, per side (My main lab staggers the smelters so they don't "collide" with the substations, was too lazy to fix it here)

Power:

Production:

Typical inventory:

Big Map:
A note here, those are radar stations set at the very edge of my pollution cloud. They have turrets (not anywhere NEAR enough to defend themselves, they were meant to be temporary), power, walls, and 4 radars, but have never been attacked.

---

I was thinking about abandoning this game since it's pretty well "won" at this point and it's a huge chore to build and fortify new bases. If I really wanted to, I could obliterate every bug under my cloud and fortify the wall and live in my own little country which would allow me to feed infinite wealth into the grinders, satisfying the parts gods, but as it is I'm juggling too many bases and getting too little done. :geno: My science lab has ground to a halt, as a copper field dried up.

I can provide more details if you like.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Evilreaver posted:

I was thinking about abandoning this game since it's pretty well "won" at this point and it's a huge chore to build and fortify new bases. If I really wanted to, I could obliterate every bug under my cloud and fortify the wall and live in my own little country which would allow me to feed infinite wealth into the grinders, satisfying the parts gods, but as it is I'm juggling too many bases and getting too little done. :geno: My science lab has ground to a halt, as a copper field dried up.

I can provide more details if you like.

Can i see how you build your train depots and how you drop off/load stuff onto your trains. I keep looking for a decent example but can never find anything decent.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Goddamn.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UberJumper posted:

Can i see how you build your train depots and how you drop off/load stuff onto your trains. I keep looking for a decent example but can never find anything decent.

A dead mine. On the left was a copper mine, the only evidence of its passing being a few bits of ore dust that didn't get caught by the bots.

As I was trying to get a screenshot, it turns out all of my mines are dead or dying :cripes:

The philosophy here is to have ore come in from the "front" of the train and the "back" of the train so you fill both cars evenly, otherwise one car tends to fill and the other starves (until the buffer chests fill up).

Dropoff. See how both sides of the belt are naturally filled. I'm not 100% sure this is the best way, but it's 80% there and suits my purposes.

Also see how no goddamn copper is coming in from the train :arghfist:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Fascinating. Do you have any issues with the traincar-chests 'stopping"? Last time I tried them they inserters would randomly "Stop" and I'd have to move the train car or rotate the arms a full rotation to make them use the car again. What was weird was that I'd only have to do a single inserter, once one of them started accessing the chest, the rest would follow suit.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Aw dang I never thought about sending ore from front and back to the train to fill it up evenly. I just have a one-way line of ore belt->inserters->buffers chests->inserters to train (and the same but in the opposite direction for dropoff) and that has always resulted in the car closest to the direction the ore is coming from filling up, thus filling up the first few buffer chests both at the pickup and often dropoff, and then ore being shipped back and forth between my dropoff and pickup without being properly deposited because everything is full, while a bunch of other buffer chests and cars at the end of the line remain empty.

On the other hand I didn't really need more ore right now, but it's not about that anyway. It's about building proper logistics :colbert:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So here's how all my trains get loaded, a series of splitters so that each inserter has its own dedicated belt:

And two different methods of unloading:

I like the second one better, though they both suffer from the problem that as the chests empty out, only a couple are feeding the belt and can't saturate it, even if they have thousands of items. I may try one where each train car unloads into two train cars as the buffer, and those train cars are unloaded onto the belt. I'd lose capacity, but gain throughput.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If you can spare the space, have train unloaded into chests, then into the train car. So your delivery train leaves ASAP, and your chests can keep the unloading/buffer car full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Evilreaver posted:

A dead mine. On the left was a copper mine, the only evidence of its passing being a few bits of ore dust that didn't get caught by the bots.

As I was trying to get a screenshot, it turns out all of my mines are dead or dying :cripes:

The philosophy here is to have ore come in from the "front" of the train and the "back" of the train so you fill both cars evenly, otherwise one car tends to fill and the other starves (until the buffer chests fill up).

Dropoff. See how both sides of the belt are naturally filled. I'm not 100% sure this is the best way, but it's 80% there and suits my purposes.

Also see how no goddamn copper is coming in from the train :arghfist:

FISHMANPET posted:

So here's how all my trains get loaded, a series of splitters so that each inserter has its own dedicated belt:

And two different methods of unloading:

I like the second one better, though they both suffer from the problem that as the chests empty out, only a couple are feeding the belt and can't saturate it, even if they have thousands of items. I may try one where each train car unloads into two train cars as the buffer, and those train cars are unloaded onto the belt. I'd lose capacity, but gain throughput.

Thanks these are so much better than the hideous things i create with train stations.

Another random question how do people get such nice maps with the large open areas that aren't a clusterfuck of random little lakes every few feet.