Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
osx (an official UNIX) has dc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dont settle for less

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bloody posted:

what the gently caress is ddate

also does it ship with sl?

ddate is for discordian-format dates

i don't think sl is part of centos, though

pram
Jun 10, 2001

prefect posted:

ddate is for discordian-format dates

kill urself

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
This system with the ability to download and install from a wide repository of apps at a moment's notice doesn't have an app I really care about preinstalled! I am really mad at this!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

This system with the ability to download and install from a wide repository of apps at a moment's notice doesn't have an app I really care about preinstalled! I am really mad at this!

I hate e-mailing the sysadmin for these things

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
It's free software

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

oh noes a linux intended for serious commercial applications doesn't include a le epic monkeybacon date printing program

POETTERING :argh:

yeah, but it's your dad's epic ninja bacon joke. it's unix history.

you see, when an unfunny joke gets old, and it's loved by fat greybeards very much, a tradition is born

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah, but it's your dad's epic ninja bacon joke. it's unix history.

you see, when an unfunny joke gets old, and it's loved by fat greybeards very much, a tradition is born

recursive acronyms are awful

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

osx (an official UNIX) has dc

my macs seem to have both dc and bc

~/$ bc
bc 1.06
Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type `warranty'.
quit
~/$
~/$
~/$
~/$
~/$ dc
420 /
69 /
p
quit
~/$

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

I hate e-mailing the sysadmin for these things

So the problem is "the only way to install software is globally, and requires the help of a sysadmin". Foiled by terrible package systems again!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the problem is that bc should totally be one of those utility unix things that is included in every linux by default like awk

I also have a beef with ubuntu not including rsync but I guess you could argue that it's not "classic" enough idk

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bc is in the posix specification

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

the problem is that bc should totally be one of those utility unix things that is included in every linux by default like awk

I also have a beef with ubuntu not including rsync but I guess you could argue that it's not "classic" enough idk

We can't include every app out of the box. That's what a good app installation experience is for.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Suspicious Dish posted:

We can't include every app out of the box. That's what a good app installation experience is for.

you should include all the apps that i want out of the box :D

p.s. have you guys updated your git package yet? :pray:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

i actually like a system to come with as little as possible ootb, to keep image sizes small and to keep vendors honest (i.e. no implicit dependencies)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you are worried about a system having the right things installed when you log into it, you have already made at least two mistakes

1. you don't have configuration management set up correctly to guarantee those packages are installed

2. holy poo poo why are you logging into a system interactively? it's 2014, centralize your logging and configuration management

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

fedora has a very nice app installation experience that normal human beings can navigate

and it will also boot from a usb key in like 30 seconds

basically they made the right call on this poo poo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

2. holy poo poo why are you logging into a system interactively? it's 2014, centralize your logging and configuration management

lol good luck with centralized logging when you have an actual large network

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
notorious bsd can you explain what 'logging in interactively' means?

like, i gotta type in my username and pass to log in. That's what interactive means to me. What other way is there?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fedora has a very nice app installation experience that normal human beings can navigate

and it will also boot from a usb key in like 30 seconds

basically they made the right call on this poo poo

Why do you think we spent so much time on it?

For reference, the previous "app installation experience" was debating over what photo manager to install by default, since if you didn't like it, users had to hunt through a sea of cardboard box icons trying to figure out what the gently caress "libvalagee-gir-data-1.2" is and why it showed up when you searched for "photoshop"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Careful Drums posted:

notorious bsd can you explain what 'logging in interactively' means?

like, i gotta type in my username and pass to log in. That's what interactive means to me. What other way is there?

you are doing something wrong if you need a shell prompt on a linux host

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah but what is it that i'm doing wrong?

serious question because i don't loving know poo poo about networking and stuff

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i just run the install script, make me a username / pass, add myself to sudoers, and off i go into a linux install wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

i know how this game works, no matter how much log traffic i've seen in the wild, you have another definition of "large"

but

i have seen centralized logging done with 80 gpbs of log traffic alone across four continents.

whatever loving network you have, it's 2014, not 1994. we're not stuck with syslog on 10 mbps networks anymore. centralized, indexed, searchable logging is feasible at any scale.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that sounds loving coool

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

whats the prettiest linux please linux nerds?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Careful Drums posted:

yeah but what is it that i'm doing wrong?

serious question because i don't loving know poo poo about networking and stuff

use configuration management + automated deployment to put servers up and down. use your centralized log database to examine application problems.

the only time you should ever need an interactive shell is when one of these things is broken.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

whatever loving network you have, it's 2014, not 1994. we're not stuck with syslog on 10 mbps networks anymore. centralized, indexed, searchable logging is feasible at any scale.

that's not our business. we're not going to invest the kind of money to make this a reality when things are just fine how they are. there is centralized logging from one angle but not full system logs because why? you can just get them from the system in questino.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
lol if you're cjing linux individually

just lol

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sniep posted:

:clint:

how bigs ur network

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Awia posted:

dont worry i found it http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sniep posted:

that's not our business. we're not going to invest the kind of money to make this a reality when things are just fine how they are. there is centralized logging from one angle but not full system logs because why? you can just get them from the system in questino.

lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

you are a greybeard from the 80s. welcome to the modern world. labor is expensive. computers are cheap. anything that minimizes labor pays for itself in months, not years.

lol at "investing the kind of money" in logging. a setup to centralize logging for 99% of businesses on earth would cost less than a single sysadmin salary

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
centralizing logging saves you shitloads of labor because developers can examine problems and trends directly instead of leaning on personal connections to systems administrators or filing paperwork with service bureaus

furthermore, avoiding interactive shells on servers is critical not just because automation is faster, but because every interactive shell is an opportunity for human error

it costs a hundred times as much to fix your dumbfuck mistakes as to just not loving break it

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
why are you being so goddamn verbose when you should just be saying use Puppet and Splunk

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ahmeni posted:

why are you being so goddamn verbose when you should just be saying use Puppet and Splunk

because those names sound dumb as poo poo?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Symbolic Butt posted:

because those names sound dumb as poo poo?

also the greybeards probably don't know what those are by name

tbf neither would the normal people, but hey linux thread

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
splunk has the most irritating license model. realtalk bsd what are you using for your log centralization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Awia posted:

Fedora because it uses GNOME 3 by default and doesn't try to "fix" it in stupid ways

imho GNOME 3 is far and away the prettiest looking desktop out there at the moment and that's including OSX

perhaps not the most functional (although it Suits My Needs) but definitely the prettiest