Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mordiceius posted:

We've made it a nightly routine to read a little bit of a book together every night. We've gone through the Hobbit and we're working through Lord of the Rings. Then we plan on going on to Harry Potter, Hitchhikers Guide, and more. It's a way to just relax after long days.

EDIT:

Basically this.

Fair enough. Didn't mean to sound judgemental, just not my cup of tea. Godspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I don't think its unusual. I have a friend who took The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings with his family to national state parks, and they would read passages in between hikes. His favorite place to read to his wife was near a secluded waterfall. If that's unusual or weird, then it's really sad most people think that way.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Gimmedaroot posted:

I don't think its unusual. I have a friend who took The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings with his family to national state parks, and they would read passages in between hikes. His favorite place to read to his wife was near a secluded waterfall. If that's unusual or weird, then it's really sad most people think that way.

It's bloody admirable, if you ask me.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
I printed out the 'better nate than lever' joke once, spent about 25 minutes reading it to my wife, and she almost had an aneurysm by the time I got to the punchline

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Reading to each-other is a fun and creative activity and was the primary form of family entertainment before radio. Conservatives read the bible and liberals read Charles Dickens. It owns and more people should do it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes. Well. When I was a kid I forcibly inducted my younger brother into my Tolkien mania by reading LotR to him, usually against his will, because he wouldn't do it on his own.

I swear, the kind of denial-borne willpower you can develop through refusing to admit to yourself what a horrible idea something is ought to be harvestable as some kind of resource. It's all that kept me powering through when confronted with poo poo like "Farmer Maggot" and "Praise them with great praise".

E: he made some great drawings of what his imagination put together from it though. Treebeard wearing a t-shirt that said "INFAN TREE", hurling a palantir at Saruman's head and yelling HOOM HOM

Frodo carrying a ring with a giant diamond in it, running away from a Nazgűl, dressed like MC Hammer in that shirt made of belts from that one Grammys or whatever it was and going "caint touch this"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 7, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Every night I read to my wife the Last Rites, but she always wakes up in the morning.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just wondering if anyone narrates fantasy stories into their wives' vaginas as foreplay, a bit like the guy who plays clarinet into his wife's vagina in the book Middlesex.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Now I'm thinking about the mechanics of that. Would you memorize the stories?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Niche use for Google Glass.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For her to read along? Because I'm pretty sure you'd be hard to hear.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW
Some interesting piece with Viggo Mortensen criticizing Peter Jackson, CGI & the Hobbit movies starting with his experience working with him on LOTR:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10826867/Viggo-Mortensen-interview-Peter-Jackson-sacrificed-subtlety-for-CGI.html

quote:

“Anybody who says they knew it was going to be the success it was, I don’t think it’s really true,” he says. “They didn’t have an inkling until they showed 20 minutes in Cannes, in May of 2001. They were in a lot of trouble, and Peter had spent a lot. Officially, he could say that he was finished in December 2000 – he’d shot all three films in the trilogy – but really the second and third ones were a mess. It was very sloppy – it just wasn’t done at all. It needed massive reshoots, which we did, year after year. But he would have never been given the extra money to do those if the first one hadn’t been a huge success. The second and third ones would have been straight to video.”

Mortensen thinks – rightly – that The Fellowship of the Ring turned out the best of the three, perhaps largely because it was shot in one go. “It was very confusing, we were going at such a pace, and they had so many units shooting, it was really insane. But it’s true that the first script was better organised,” he says. “Also, Peter was always a geek in terms of technology but, once he had the means to do it, and the evolution of the technology really took off, he never looked back. In the first movie, yes, there’s Rivendell, and Mordor, but there’s sort of an organic quality to it, actors acting with each other, and real landscapes; it’s grittier. The second movie already started ballooning, for my taste, and then by the third one, there were a lot of special effects. It was grandiose, and all that, but whatever was subtle, in the first movie, gradually got lost in the second and third. Now with The Hobbit, one and two, it’s like that to the power of 10.

“I guess Peter became like Ridley Scott – this one-man industry now, with all these people depending on him,” Mortensen adds. “But you can make a choice, I think. I asked Ridley when I worked with him (on 1997’s GI Jane), 'Why don’t you do another film like The Duellists [Scott’s 1977 debut, from a Joseph Conrad short story]?’ And Peter, I was sure he would do another intimately scaled film like Heavenly Creatures, maybe with this project about New Zealanders in the First World War he wanted to make. But then he did King Kong. And then he did The Lovely Bones – and I thought that would be his smaller movie. But the problem is, he did it on a 90 million budget. That should have been a 15 million movie. The special effects thing, the genie, was out of the bottle, and it has him. And he’s happy, I think…”

The whole thing in the link is worth reading, actually.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Ungoal posted:

Some interesting piece with Viggo Mortensen criticizing Peter Jackson, CGI & the Hobbit movies starting with his experience working with him on LOTR:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10826867/Viggo-Mortensen-interview-Peter-Jackson-sacrificed-subtlety-for-CGI.html

The whole thing in the link is worth reading, actually.

It is worth noting that Viggo has said that he wasn't happy with the article, and that they conveniently left out the parts where he speaks positively about Jackson and the movies.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Oasx posted:

It is worth noting that Viggo has said that he wasn't happy with the article, and that they conveniently left out the parts where he speaks positively about Jackson and the movies.

Link?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

It probably won't do you much good since it is in Danish. Viggo is going to star in a Danish movie, he was at the Cannes film festival, and a newspaper asked him about the article.
http://politiken.dk/kultur/filmogtv/cannes/ECE2292248/viggo-mortensen-taler-dansk-for-foerste-gang---paa-film/

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Oasx posted:

That doesn't change anything. He says he owes PJ his career, but doesn't deny any of the other stuff, only that he didn't mean to single out PJ.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Oasx posted:

It probably won't do you much good since it is in Danish. Viggo is going to star in a Danish movie, he was at the Cannes film festival, and a newspaper asked him about the article.
http://politiken.dk/kultur/filmogtv/cannes/ECE2292248/viggo-mortensen-taler-dansk-for-foerste-gang---paa-film/

There's this thing called Google Translate now:
http://translate.google.com/transla...%26channel%3Dsb

quote:

"They tell only half the story. Yes, I think there were too many special effects in the Lord of the Rings films. But I criticized not only Peter Jackson. I also said that I always do, that I am very grateful that he took me to the movies. I owe Peter Jackson everything. If he had not given me the chance, I probably could not have made all the movies I've been in. And I would not be sitting here today, "said Viggo Mortensen Politiken.

That quote doesn't say anything positive about the movies Viggo correctly criticized.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Viggo Mortinsen is cool and right.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It's actually pretty clear from listening to the special edition commentaries on the Extended Edition DVDs how much of Two Towers and ROTK were filmed as re-shoots. Probably upwards of 50%, particularly for ROTK.

And wow, I can't believe that Cannes premiere was 14 years ago - it feels like only a couple of years ago that I was frantically :f5:ing theonering.net for news and maybe a garbled description!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Shouldn't there be a trailer around now? What's the next big Warner Bros movie that it could be possibly released alongside?

edit: Could be perfect in front of Into The Storm next month, because that movie also stars Richard Armitage.

edit 2: Actually it'll probably be at Comic-Con this month.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 3, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'd love to have seen the original second and third movies before the re-shoots. Still, I'm glad Viggo agrees that the first movie is the best for reasons better articulated than mine ever are.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Hedrigall posted:

edit 2: Actually it'll probably be at Comic-Con this month.

Probably. PJ just posted on FB that he finished the teaser yesterday and it's waiting approval from WB.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The true hero of The Hobbit, Bard.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bard is actually the hobbit.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Gotta say I'm getting a real big anticipation boner from that poster.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I still think it ought to have been called 'There and Back Again'.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hedrigall posted:

Gotta say I'm getting a real big anticipation boner from that poster.
Oh hell yeah. I've no doubt there'll be plenty of poo poo that'll infuriate me too, but at last we get to the really good bit. LAKETOWN WILL BURN.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Octy posted:

I still think it ought to have been called 'There and Back Again'.

I thought it was called that. When did it change?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bongo Bill posted:

I thought it was called that. When did it change?

Sometime this year. Executive meddling, and maybe from Peter watching an incomplete cut and realizing that naming a movie after an event that takes up 50% of it's runtime might be a better idea than a cutesy reference to a book that by now he's barely taking any more than the general situations from.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Man. I actually like these movies more than most people I run into, but the advertising is trying its hardest to make me want to hate them.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't mind the new title. It was still one of the possible movie titles floating around well before the first Hobbit movie was released.

Movie wise, "There and Back Again" just reminds me too much of the bookends of The Lord of the Rings movies (despite the phrase's origins). It feels like it summarizes an epilogue rather than the entirety of the third act of a story. I highly doubt the general tone of this final Hobbit movie will be warm and fuzzy anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't know why they changed it from Battle of Five Armies

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I haven't read the books, but I had a question about the the events of Desolation of Smaug. I know that Tauriel is a character made-up explicitly for the movie. So, in the books:
1) Does Kili still get poisoned? How does he get healed?
2) Does Legolas still go to Lake-town and if so, what is his motivation to go there?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Crows Turn Off posted:

I haven't read the books, but I had a question about the the events of Desolation of Smaug. I know that Tauriel is a character made-up explicitly for the movie. So, in the books:
2) Does Legolas still go to Lake-town and if so, what is his motivation to go there?

No, no

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

Neither of those events happen in the book. Legolas isn't even in it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Neither of those events happen in the book. Legolas isn't even in it.
Oh, well, thanks. I didn't realize he changed it so much.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This trilogy is less an adaptation of The Hobbit and more an adaptation of the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, one of which describes all the things that were happening elsewhere at the time of Bilbo's adventure that he didn't know about because he was busy being afraid and uncomfortable in a succession of caves.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Bongo Bill posted:

This trilogy is less an adaptation of The Hobbit and more an adaptation of the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, one of which describes all the things that were happening elsewhere at the time of Bilbo's adventure that he didn't know about because he was busy being afraid and uncomfortable in a succession of caves.

A metaphor for Tolkien's latent homosexuality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's an old trend - Back Camera Poster Trend

• Locked thread