Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Teledahn posted:

I know this isn't the best place to ask about new games, but it has been two months, so if anyone has any thoughts about Wolfenstein: The New Order they'd like to share that'd be super neat.

I suppose I should find out if my computer can even play this new game I've bought first.

Some of the explosive perks are INSANELY hard to get. Find a tutorial video that shows you the best place to farm them online.

Some of the collectibles are also crazy hard to find, so don't worry if you are missing a few.

Leaning is really important. Especially against later enemies.

The difference between the two timelines is which hacking minigame you have to play. a character is different, and whether you will get health upgrades or armor upgrades. Health upgrades are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Lizard Wizard posted:

This sorta got lost in a page transition and it's been a few days, so I figured I'd check again. Anyone?
Disgaea D2

There's a cheat shop NPC in the castle garden that'll let you tweak some settings which can give you an easier time getting through the game, such as earning more exp at the cost of skill or weapon mastery exp and raising/lowering enemy levels. You need to turn the camera to see him, but he's right by the door.

You can permanently learn a skill from the master/pupil system by using it a few times to get it to level 1. Very useful to give Flonne elemental magic for offensive capabilities early on.

You can promote generic characters to their next class tier when they reach certain levels in the dark assembly to raise their stat aptitudes without having to reincarnate them. There's really no reason not to do this.

You can find info on how to unlock new human classes in the data shop. Monsters are unlocked by killing them once.

Laharl is stupidly strong. You can pretty much steamroll everything in the game using him with little support.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone explain Super Training and Pokemon-Amie are in Pokemon Y and why I should/shouldn't care? I tried looking it up on one of the Pokemon wikis but it was pretty spergy and overly detailed. I just need like a simple easy to understand version. I mean if it actually helps somehow I might as well dick with it from time to time.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone explain Super Training and Pokemon-Amie are in Pokemon Y and why I should/shouldn't care? I tried looking it up on one of the Pokemon wikis but it was pretty spergy and overly detailed. I just need like a simple easy to understand version. I mean if it actually helps somehow I might as well dick with it from time to time.

It's the new way to do EVs. If you want to min/max and don't mind grinding a stupid minigame, go for it. Otherwise, the boost in power is completely negligible for the offline game and not worth worrying about. By virtue of the EXP Share you'll steamroll everything anyway and if you ever want to get into online stuff for some reason you can reset EVs pretty painlessly. Pokemon-Amie is just for "fun" aside from the new eevee evolution, if memory serves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

juliuspringle posted:

I never touched super training and as far as I know pokemon-amie is just a silly mode where you can rub pikachu's cheeks and feed him cupcakes. So they're both completely unneccesary.

Again if you want to be the very best and compete with other adults for pokemon glory then you're gonna have to read up a whole guide on that poo poo, super training is very important I believe. But if you just wanna beat the game and catch all the pokemon, ignore it.

Edit: Oh yeah Evee's new fairy evolution requires you to use pokemon-amie, whatever minor detail. Fairy evee is weird anyways. (flesh ribbons)

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

juliuspringle posted:

When your Pokemon love you because of Pokemon-Amie they'll get slight stat boosts, earn a little more experience and even survive a hit that would otherwise cause them to faint, so it's usually worth it to do (also because it's adorable :3:)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Novolin posted:

When your Pokemon love you because of Pokemon-Amie they'll get slight stat boosts, earn a little more experience and even survive a hit that would otherwise cause them to faint, so it's usually worth it to do (also because it's adorable :3:)

Oh that's true, there's a mechanic where sometimes your pokemon will get put to sleep or paralyzed or die, but instead they'll suddenly just say "...but they shrugged it off, because they wanted to impress you!" or something like that, which is amazing. So feeding the occasional cupcake to Lucario is worth it. But don't worry too much.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The best pokemon for scratchies is clearly Zigzagoon :kimchi:

(they remind me of a striped cat I had and loved when I was a kid)

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Does anyone have anything for Defender's Quest?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh that's true, there's a mechanic where sometimes your pokemon will get put to sleep or paralyzed or die, but instead they'll suddenly just say "...but they shrugged it off, because they wanted to impress you!" or something like that, which is amazing. So feeding the occasional cupcake to Lucario is worth it. But don't worry too much.

The best part is every now and then they'll look back over their shoulder at you :allears:.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Anyone have any tips for someone completely new to Baulders Gate 2? I got that HD edition during the steam sale and have idea what to do...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

de_dust posted:

Anyone have any tips for someone completely new to Baulders Gate 2? I got that HD edition during the steam sale and have idea what to do...

Are you completely new to BG2 or D&D rules in general? I haven't played the Enhanced Edition but I figure most of the stuff still applies.

• Since BG2 uses the silly 2nd edition rules, remember that lower armor class is better. Think of the number as the bonus your opponent gets when it comes to hitting you, so -3 is better than 5 for example.

• Try to keep a balanced party, you'll want at least one arcane and one divine caster, for example a wizard and a cleric. In addition you'll probably want one thief and a couple of people who can take a beating.

• Spells are supremely powerful in BG2, read through the spell descriptions and try things out. Healing and area damage spells are especially good to have, and there are many powerful buffs/debuffs that can turn the tide of any fight. Don't forget the very basic Magic Missile, you can literally bring down dragons with that spell and it's very good for interrupting enemy spellcasting to boot. Chromatic Orb is another very basic spell that comes to mind which remains powerful throughout the whole game.

• In the same vein enemy spellcasters can be brutal, especially as the game progresses. Make killing them your first priority, and you'll probably want to bring some buff removal spells with you like Breach or you'll have a very hard time bringing them down.

• Scout ahead with a stealthed thief if you're worried about what's ahead. This can be annoying if your thief has poor Hide in Shadows since it can take a few attempts before they succeed but it's very handy to know what you're up against ahead of time.

• Speaking of thieves, you'll most likely want to be using bows with them. All ranged weapons are very powerful in BG2, even your casters should be shooting something whenever they're not casting spells. Keep yourself stocked with ammunition for your ranged weapons.

• It doesn't really matter early on but keep an eye on your weapons' damage type. If you go up against a Clay Golem and you don't have a single blunt weapon of +1 or higher, you're probably going to have a bad time because they don't give a drat about slashing or piercing weapons nor most spells. There's no need to hoard weapons since 95% of enemies will go down with anything but have a backup plan.

• Remember that you can pause and give orders without having to rush at any time. With 6 people in your party it will get overwhelming if you try to do it all in real time.

• Bring acid or fire with you against trolls or you can't finish them off. Any source of those two will do.

• Another thing to keep in mind for a bit later, some enemies such as Vampires can drain your stats and levels which is a gigantic pain in the rear end. Restoration spells/scrolls can cure it, fortunately.

• Haven't played the Enhanced Edition but at least in the normal version, one of the first quests you can do once you get out of the starting dungeon (the circus tent) nets you a ring that sets your Charisma to 18, so unless your class requires high CHA at all times you can leave it fairly low and swap in the ring whenever you're talking to people.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Obviously play the class you think you'd like, but I recommend an Inquisitor for a first time if you have no idea what to play. Very straight forward and powerful, only downside is one of the recruit-able party members is one.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Just bought Painkiller: Black Edition on GOG. Any tips besides the two on the Wiki?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

OSheaman posted:

Just bought Painkiller: Black Edition on GOG. Any tips besides the two on the Wiki?
Skip the cutscenes and just have fun shooting stuff. Painkiller is nothing but an incredibly fun kill-everything simulator.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

OSheaman posted:

-Weapons in Painkiller do the normal "left click shoot, right click alt shoot" thing, but there are a few that actually have combos. The shurikens can be charged with lightning, the grenades can be impaled by stakes as a sort of rocket, and the painkiller weapon can be spinning before you fire it.

-Cards cost money to become usable so getting tons of gold on a level is generally a good idea.

-Some tarot cards are near impossible to get without other tarot cards. For example, to get the boss ones you need to kill the bosses in a certain amount of time. Without damage/time slow/etc. cards you aren't going to kill the bosses that fast.

-When a tarot requirement is something like "only use stakes" it means you cannot kill anything in demon mode or you will fail it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
XCOM - Enemy Unknown/Within? The stuff on the wiki is a little sparse.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

The Iron Rose posted:

Almost none of this is necessary to succeed on Normal. But it's good play, and a bunch of it is required (or at least heavily encouraged) for harder difficulties.

General stuff:

If you have EW, go ahead and start with it. It adds a hair more complexity, but also brings along some bug fixes, tweaks, and UI improvements that didn't get backported to EU. If nothing else the button to unequip everyone not in your active squad is a godsend.

The tutorial does not teach you how to play. The tutorial teaches you the interface and then makes you do a bunch of moves that will get you killed (also the aliens cheat).

Squad Sight is better than Snap Shot. Seriously, goddamn is Squad Sight so good.

Africa and North America are both very solid starts. A case could be made for South America. Europe and Asia aren't great options: by the time their benefits matter, you can easily pick up the bonus with satellite coverage.

When making MECs, choose the kinetic strike module. There are a bunch of reasons why it's better than the flamethrower, but cyborgs punching aliens is probably the most important.

MECs have very low aim growth--the worst in the game shared with heavies. Soldiers keep their stats when you MEC them, though, so it's a good policy to MEC non-heavy soldiers when they're as high rank as possible. You might want to MEC a heavy early on, then once you've got a Colonel of another class you want to MEC, bench the heavy-MEC in favor of the new guy--the suit transfers over, so you're not scrapping all that much meld.

Speaking of meld, don't kill yourself trying to get it all. Usually one of the canisters you can get without trouble and the other you have to work fast to nab. But you'll get plenty over the game (as long as you spend it wisely) and it's not worth losing a soldier over.

Geoscape:

Think ahead about panic management. Abduction missions will force you to choose one of three locations. The place you choose gets a panic reduction, but the places you don't get a panic increase, as well as a lesser increase for the entire continent. Satellites reduce panic, so when you're given a choice develop a plan to keep countries from dropping out of the project. You can't get them back if they do.

Make sure to launch as many satellites as you can. Usually, that means putting up an uplink a month (excepting your first month), arranging them in a 2x2 square to get adjacency bonuses. Once you get full coverage you've pretty much won panic management.

If a country drops out, no big deal. It sucks, but it doesn't torpedo your chances at winning. In the late game money won't be your limiting resource anyway.

Launch satellites at the end of the month. They take a few days to come online after launch, but you'll get payed for them anyway. Waiting gives you flexibility to save countries about to panic.

Combat:

The best way to not get your soldiers killed is to not have them get shot. The best way to not get shot is to not get shot at. If you can't ensure a kill on an alien, drop back so you're out of its sight range. If that's not possible, find good cover and hunker down.

Whenever possible, make sure you can kill aliens before your turn is over. Set up 100% shots, have grenades on standby, etc.

Vahlen will scold you for blowing up aliens. Ignore her. The fragments from their weapons are not worth risking your soldiers' lives. If you need a grenade to ensure a kill, use it.

If you don't regularly check your chance-to-hit breakdowns, you may not notice that there's a range bonus. For most soldiers, the closer the bigger the bonus is. Assaults get a larger bonus than other soldiers, especially with shotguns. Snipers get a bonus for being farther away. Often, you can run your soldier right up into the face of an alien to get a 100% shot. If you can ensure a kill and the position will be safe afterward, then it's a safe move.

Low cover is not as beneficial as you'd think. It's only a 20 defense bonus. It's better than nothing, but don't trust it to save you. Whenever possible, use high cover (40 defense).

Managing how you reveal tiles is super important, and the game doesn't really make this clear or give you the UI to make it easy. You'll get a sense for it quickly, though. Try not to reveal a tiles unless you have a good portion of your team with actions left, or you'll be left with aliens who can attack you before you can attack them. That's how you get your squad killed.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah if you start losing countries in X-COM you're pretty boned

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Iron Rose posted:

You will lose soldiers. Just shed a tear and move on. It sucks but it happens.

Only 100% shots are guaranteed. I've had soldiers miss 98% shots a few feet away from an alien.

Non-discovered aliens will teleport around the map. Usually not behind you, but this is XCom.

Always remember XCom will gently caress you over in the stupidest ways imanageable. That is part of the game. Just roll with it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone have anything for Defender's Quest?

Dont be afraid to play levels at low difficulty and then come back for the stars on harder difficulty.

Archers are the best unit so prioritize getting them new bows over other units.

I dont find armor particularly useful until harder difficulties.

Fire will remove Ice debuffs so Im not a fan of the Dragons either. The Ice mages are probably most important after Archers, then Knights for armor removal.

If youre really early on, replay levels for XP.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

limp_cheese posted:

Non-discovered aliens will teleport around the map. Usually not behind you, but this is XCom.

In EW they'll actually walk around instead of teleporting. It's one of the big helpful changes. :eng101:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

de_dust posted:

Since you've never played an Infinity Engine game before and probably don't know anything about the ruleset...

Roll up a half-orc fighter. Keep rerolling stats until you have enough points to bump strength to 19, con 18, and dex 18. Forget the other stats. Put your proficiency points into a weapon of your choice and bows. Get through the tutorial dungeon. It's rough for a first timer but it teaches you a lot of concepts like how the dungeons work, searching for traps, and paying attention to minor background details. It's important you can hold tab to see all containers but remember that it takes about 6 seconds for a thief's find traps to go off so don't get hasty.

Once you make it out of the dungeon ask yourself "Do I like this character?" If so keep playing, BG2 has a bunch of NPCs that will fill your party roles. If not, Get Dungeon-Be-Gone to skip Irenicus' Dungeon and roll a new character. Frustratingly there's no dedicated caster NPCs except Viconia who's evil. Everyone else is dual classed or part of a kit which negatively affects their spell progression. If you want to try something weird, go monk or kensai. They can't wear armor but they're blazingly fast and do shitloads of damage to everything.

But easy mode? The notorious dart fighter. Pound for pound darts are the most powerful ranged weapon in the game since they use your strength for damage and have the highest attack rate when max proficiency. Laugh as you shred enemies like a loving machine gun and since damage ruins a caster's spell no wizard will ever get a spell out.

If you go paladin you can get the Holy Avenger, one of the best weapon in the game. You can even go undead hunter which makes you immune to drain (a super annoying ability common enemies in this game will have) and you can still use the avenger, making you loving death incarnate.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There's plenty of dedicated casters. Cernd is a full Druid, and Anomen and Nalia have dual-classed into full casting classes, so their spell progression is the same as a single-classed caster, and then there's Edwin if you're making an evil party.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

al-azad posted:

If you go paladin you can get the Holy Avenger, one of the best weapon in the game. You can even go undead hunter which makes you immune to drain (a super annoying ability common enemies in this game will have) and you can still use the avenger, making you loving death incarnate.

Keldorn is an NPC you can get to join, he's an inquisitor which is basically the best anti-mage kit in the game, and he can use the Holy Avenger. There's no reason to go paladin unless you desperately want to role-play Lawful Good knight. The paladin stronghold is also pretty boring and easy to screw up if you kill the red dragon when you first meet him.

Going full fighter is also a bad idea. Either pick a kit or duel/multi-class class. A fighter/thief can one shot enemies with invisibility and back stab, and fighter/clerics can wear full plate without it affecting spell casting.

Mzbundifund posted:

There's plenty of dedicated casters. Cernd is a full Druid, and Anomen and Nalia have dual-classed into full casting classes, so their spell progression is the same as a single-classed caster, and then there's Edwin if you're making an evil party.

As far as dedicated casters go, its Edwin 100%. Edwin's school selection plus his family amulet give him an extra 3 spells per level, so when you crack that spell level 5/6/7 threshhold instead of a single spell you suddenly have 4, which is a huge advantage at levels 10-14. Just suck up the reputation hit and keep it below the level he leaves at.

Cernd is really weak in general, and regular wolfwere shift is pretty useless. As a backline caster he can throw done the great druid spells (there aren't too many good defensive spells for druids though), but he'll die quick in melee until he's got his greater wolfwere form. Jaheria is generally better since she doesn't fall apart on the front-lines.

Anomen and Nalia are mediocre at best. Viconia is the best cleric by far. Surprisingly, once you hit high level, Aerie's abilities as a mage/priest make her one of the best characters for spellcasting.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 23, 2014

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

kazil posted:

-When a tarot requirement is something like "only use stakes" it means you cannot kill anything in demon mode or you will fail it.

This isn't true. Demon mode will not count against specific weapon requirements. I'll add some tips myself.

-Painkiller has a very loose physics engine. Bunny hopping is not only possible but encouraged and you can frequently scale even the slightest of slopes by timing jumps correctly. The game is built to accommodate this fact with how they place several of the secrets.

-Certain levels are only accessible on higher difficulties. Nightmare will give you access to all but a single level but the vast majority can be done on the lower difficulties.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

pentyne posted:

Keldorn is an NPC you can get to join, he's an inquisitor which is basically the best anti-mage kit in the game, and he can use the Holy Avenger. There's no reason to go paladin unless you desperately want to role-play Lawful Good knight. The paladin stronghold is also pretty boring and easy to screw up if you kill the red dragon when you first meet him.

Going full fighter is also a bad idea. Either pick a kit or duel/multi-class class. A fighter/thief can one shot enemies with invisibility and back stab, and fighter/clerics can wear full plate without it affecting spell casting.

As far as dedicated casters go, its Edwin 100%. Edwin's school selection plus his family amulet give him an extra 3 spells per level, so when you crack that spell level 5/6/7 threshhold instead of a single spell you suddenly have 4, which is a huge advantage at levels 10-14. Just suck up the reputation hit and keep it below the level he leaves at.

Cernd is really weak in general, and regular wolfwere shift is pretty useless. As a backline caster he can throw done the great druid spells (there aren't too many good defensive spells for druids though), but he'll die quick in melee until he's got his greater wolfwere form. Jaheria is generally better since she doesn't fall apart on the front-lines.

Anomen and Nalia are mediocre at best. Viconia is the best cleric by far. Surprisingly, once you hit high level, Aerie's abilities as a mage/priest make her one of the best characters for spellcasting.

Starting fighter specializing in a ranged weapon and immediately dual to Mage is a good choice but multiple-class characters give up specialization which hurts as a martial class. Fighters kits are underwhelming except berserker but they give up ranged and darts are the only good throwing weapon. You could go dwarf berserker and shoot for the magic throwing hammer but that's planning real far ahead.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

pentyne posted:

Yeah all this stuff is true (although even being "mediocre" Nalia is still incredibly strong just because she's a mage in Baldur's Gate 2), I was just saying that it isn't true that Viconia is the only dedicated caster NPC. Everything al-azad said was good advice, but that one line made it sound like if you don't roll a caster yourself your only options are weaker than normal.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

limp_cheese posted:

Always remember XCom will gently caress you over in the stupidest ways imanageable. That is part of the game. Just roll with it.

I was doing a VIP rescue mission once, had lost 1 or 2 soldiers but had the VIP and most everyone else a move away from the evacuation zone. The guy 2 moves away walked through some poison cloud left by a dead Thin Man I think, got panicked, shot another guy which panicked him, and even though he only had a lovely pistol on him he managed to shoot the VIP in the head from like 12 squares away with cover in between them :xcom:

Sure, you could save scum, but that's not in the true spirit of it.

Anyway, tips, there was a massive thing about how overwatch works somewhere, and why most times you should have your team end with hunkering down if they still have an action. Mainly if an alien is in overwatch and knows it, it won't move and change cover, and will shoot at you. If they don't see it, indicated by the alien head icons on the screen, they might run by and get shot. Going into overwatch with them seeing it typically results in them killing your guys because all they'll do is shoot from cover, hence why hunkering down is generally a better choice between the two. Overwatch is helpful when flanking them or if they're near a car that's about to blow up or something.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah all this stuff is true (although even being "mediocre" Nalia is still incredibly strong just because she's a mage in Baldur's Gate 2), I was just saying that it isn't true that Viconia is the only dedicated caster NPC. Everything al-azad said was good advice, but that one line made it sound like if you don't roll a caster yourself your only options are weaker than normal.

I don't mean to say you'll screw yourself in the game if you're not a pure caster, but all the casters in the game except Viconia just have unfortunate quirks about them. Aerie is awesome for being a mage/cleric but her intelligence/wisdom are comparatively low. Nalia's thief skills are useless. Anomen is garbage as a cleric (but admittedly great as a fighter) until you finish his personal quest. Jan as an illusionist gives up skulltrap, one of the best and cheesiest damage spells in the game because it stacks. Cernd as a shapeshifter means he can't wear the excellent ankheg armor. Edwin gives up divination, which is a mostly useless school except for the very good True Sight which defeats the powerful simulacrum spell.

Minsc, Mazzy, Viconia, and Sarevok are the only "pure" classes. Everyone else is dual, multi, or a kit which isn't necessarily bad but what happens is you get a lot of cool items you wish you could use but can't really because everyone is spread out all over the place. Strangely, the evil characters are the best characters in the game. Korgan is the best tank, Viconia is the best cleric, Edwin is an impossibly good mage because of his unique item, and loving Sarevok is like getting Thunder God Cid in Final Fantasy Tactics. Maybe this was intentional to offset that playing an evil character in BioWare games results in the least favorable rewards so here, have the best characters. It sucks that Edwin and Minsc can't stand each other because these two have the best dialog in the game and Edwin has, hands down, the best "loyalty" quest out of any RPG ever.

But this is all super metagame stuff. You can set the difficulty to easy and power through. It's a BioWare game, sit back and enjoy.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 23, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's hilarious that divination is bad, in pen and paper D&D it's an excellent school of magic. Like possibly the best, because you can see what's coming, tailor a loadout spells for it, and crush it horribly. Also to specialize in divination you only have to give up one school instead of two like the others, so it's extra good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Magres posted:

That's hilarious that divination is bad, in pen and paper D&D it's an excellent school of magic. Like possibly the best, because you can see what's coming, tailor a loadout spells for it, and crush it horribly. Also to specialize in divination you only have to give up one school instead of two like the others, so it's extra good.

Yeah, the best spells in D&D overall are utility spells which are useless here because of the relative linear nature of video game design. That spell slot you used for clairvoyance or something is wasted when you could have an invisible thief do the same thing.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Since EA's offering the whole shebang for free until the end of the month, any nuggets of wisdom pertaining to The Sims 2 and its various expansions?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The point of the game is to maim and kill virtual people in horrible ways, from what I can tell :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly, the only way I can play Baldur's Gate and not get bored is to play with a full custom party. Bioware dialogue/banter isn't exactly a bad thing to miss out on, and half the fun of BG is seeing how much you can bend and break the system with creative builds.

Also, there are no NPC sorcerers, meaning there are no NPC casters worth recruiting.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Honestly, the only way I can play Baldur's Gate and not get bored is to play with a full custom party. Bioware dialogue/banter isn't exactly a bad thing to miss out on, and half the fun of BG is seeing how much you can bend and break the system with creative builds.

Also, there are no NPC sorcerers, meaning there are no NPC casters worth recruiting.

I think Icewind Dale, its expansions, and its sequel might be more up your alley. I actually loved the dialogue in the BG games and had no problem completely breaking the system with the characters provided.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

BG2 Edwin is, full stop, superior to any PC caster. Also, the EE did add an NPC Sorcerer to BG1, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is one available in BG2 now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

al-azad posted:

I don't mean to say you'll screw yourself in the game if you're not a pure caster, but all the casters in the game except Viconia just have unfortunate quirks about them. Aerie is awesome for being a mage/cleric but her intelligence/wisdom are comparatively low. Nalia's thief skills are useless. Anomen is garbage as a cleric (but admittedly great as a fighter) until you finish his personal quest. Jan as an illusionist gives up skulltrap, one of the best and cheesiest damage spells in the game because it stacks. Cernd as a shapeshifter means he can't wear the excellent ankheg armor. Edwin gives up divination, which is a mostly useless school except for the very good True Sight which defeats the powerful simulacrum spell.

Minsc, Mazzy, Viconia, and Sarevok are the only "pure" classes. Everyone else is dual, multi, or a kit which isn't necessarily bad but what happens is you get a lot of cool items you wish you could use but can't really because everyone is spread out all over the place. Strangely, the evil characters are the best characters in the game. Korgan is the best tank, Viconia is the best cleric, Edwin is an impossibly good mage because of his unique item, and loving Sarevok is like getting Thunder God Cid in Final Fantasy Tactics. Maybe this was intentional to offset that playing an evil character in BioWare games results in the least favorable rewards so here, have the best characters. It sucks that Edwin and Minsc can't stand each other because these two have the best dialog in the game and Edwin has, hands down, the best "loyalty" quest out of any RPG ever.

But this is all super metagame stuff. You can set the difficulty to easy and power through. It's a BioWare game, sit back and enjoy.

If you go into Throne of Bhaal, all other classes besides mages and clerics exist only to absorb damage and keep the tide from reaching the casters. You need 2 mages, because you have to constantly strip magic protections AND deal insane damage, and at least 1 cleric for mass heal/summoning devas. High Level 2ed combat is really not that fun.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
My favorite part of the SA forums is watching goons hyper-sperg about relatively straightforward things (like building a party in BG2) and making them sound like loving brain surgery.

You don't need 3 pure casters to do well in BG2. You don't need a sorceror. You don't need a dual-classed kensai-mage. You do need a mage, especially at higher level to do some magic strippin', and you need a healer. Extra casters can be fun but aren't mandatory. High level fighters can be quite effective. In fact, a hasted dual-wielder is pretty good a trashing a full set of mirror images in a round, or insta-gibbing someone whose protections are down. Just make sure to keep backup normal weapons to kill things with Protection from Magic Weapons (if you don't feel like stripping the Protection).

The intra-party banter for BG2 (less so BG1) is a huge part of the fun of the Baldur's Gate series. You'd really be missing out if you created a full custom party for your first run through. Sure, some of the characters are less than fully optimal (BG1 Khalid, I'm looking at you) but you can pretty easily win the game with a wide variety of parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Iron Rose posted:

Your starting spot should be the US or Africa. A 30% funding bonus is amazing, no question, but on the other hand, the US bonus keeps your overheads low and gives you some of the top-funding countries right off the bat, so you can stockpile money more swiftly. I start in the US, build 2 more satellite hubs in the first 2-3 months and then build a Nexus so they all form a square and you get adjacent bonuses for each one. That will take care of your satellite worries for most of the game and lets you start on Africa for their bonus. Anything you launch after that will probably be a reaction to panic.

Your sniper will be the backbone of your team. This is basically non-negotiable. A good sniper with Squadsight and drat Good Ground will usually rack up more kills than the rest of your squad combined. Other classes, you can mix and match skills to a degree, but pretty much every sniper you make will inevitably wind up having those two skills.

The Slingshot missions are annoying, but on the other hand, the payoff is enough resources to basically last you the rest of the game. It's almost cheating how much they give you. Do it once, and if you don't like it, weigh up if you can live without it.

Finally, play on Easy til you get the hang of the game. It's radically different to past X-COM games, so experiment, so take the time to screw up, see how things work. You'll be thankful for it when Newfoundland is neck-deep in Chryssalids.